News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

The right and center of the artwork shows wide paths with people on them. Would have been water with no swimmer before, correct? That is more spatial efficiency. If the ride path crosses over itself, as it appears to do multiple times in the path, it is using more vertical space than if that ride were to be flat, right? That is more spatial efficiency.
How many total people fit on the islands, the rafts, and the Liberty Belle concurrently now? How long do they stay there on average? How many people could TSI conceivably entertain in an hour if utilized to capacity?

How does that compare to how many people can fit in the queues, shops, and attractions concurrently in the Cars area, and how long are they spending on entertainment and shopping relative to non-quality time spent standing in line?

And who cares how long the attraction track is and how frequently it rises and falls if the total attraction throughput and time spent on the attraction is not notably different from any other attraction? That's actually space inefficiency if the footprint is especially large for the experiential payoff considering other attractions of presumably similar ride time often take up much less space.

MrPromey

A bit of an anecdotal point- last time I was at WDW (2022-2023, for New Years), I tried to find magnets for the parks since I collect magnets. There was a huge lack of magnets everywhere! Absolutely nothing for HS and MK (MK only had New Years and WDW 50th Magnets), Epcot only had a leftover 40th magnet and AK was the only one with a magnet specifically for that park. Outside of parks magnets, I wanted one for MuppetVision, Country Bears, Splash Mountain, and Haunted Mansion, but couldn't find any- settled with a die cast peel magnet with generic Muppets stock images on it. When I asked a cast member, they said that Disney has decided to stop making as many magnets, which has caused lots of guest complaints. Additionally, I saw the same merchandise EVERYWHERE. Every store had New Years/2023 magnets and 50th merch. Lots of stores had merch for properties that didn't fit (saw Marvel and Star Wars stuff in Animal Kingdom). I barely bought any merchandise the entire week I was there, I bought more at Universal because they actually had unique things to buy! (Though they also lacked magnets...)

Disney knows there's guest demands for specific products but won't make them. It's crazy!
Unique merch costs them more.

They pay their folks to design more things and then order in smaller quantities, have to deal with the logistics of shipping and storing and eventually discounting and moving to one of their outlets for stuff that doesn't sell. When they go to refresh, they have to start the whole process over again.

While they became the most popular tourist destination in the world and made money hand-over-fist operating this way for decades, current management has found a more "efficient" way to handle things.

Mostly the same reasons the individual resorts don't have their own uniquely designed and packaged toiletries in the rooms anymore - much cheaper to put in larger orders for generic WDW stuff than for the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, etc. and if they run low at one resort, they can just send a generic box of whatever there from a central storage location rather than having to reorder a shipment of shampoo bottles with a unique design and scent intended for a particular location like say Grand Floridian even though they have an extra case of shampoo for the Contemporary just sitting there unused.

It's all just them cutting corners to shave pennies off their costs while raising what they charge guests for increasingly less unique and interesting products and services.

A lot of people don't care about the toiletries or the magnets or other things like that individually but it's the death by a thousand cuts principle at work.

In the case of the resorts, it's not exactly difficult to draw a line from how we got from something like the toiletries decision to whole build-outs like the Riviera that with less unique and complex architecture, were cheaper to have designed, cheaper to construct and will be cheaper to maintain over the years going forward.

In the case of the parks, it's easy to see why it's the same generic stuff in most places. They want to put shops everywhere but don't want to deal with the costs associated with making the merchandise those shops sell unique any more than they think they have to these days unless they are subletting space and making money off someone else selling their own stuff in them (i.e. Sunglass Hut, Arribas Brothers, etc.)

Last edited:

peter11435

How many total people fit on the islands, the rafts, and the Liberty Belle concurrently now? How long do they stay there on average? How many people could TSI conceivably entertain in an hour if utilized to capacity?

How does that compare to how many people can fit in the queues, shops, and attractions concurrently in the Cars area, and how long are they spending on entertainment and shopping relative to non-quality time spent standing in line?

And who cares how long the attraction track is and how frequently it rises and falls if the total attraction throughput and time spent on the attraction is not notably different from any other attraction? That's actually space inefficiency if the footprint is especially large for the experiential payoff considering other attractions of presumably similar ride time often take up much less space.
It doesn’t even matter how many people could be on the island or the boat. It matters how many people were on the island and the boat. Which was just a tiny fraction of what could be in those locations.

James Alucobond

It doesn’t even matter how many people could be on the island or the boat. It matters how many people were on the island and the boat. Which was just a tiny fraction of what could be in those locations.
Not disagreeing that this change will see more traffic and interest. I was responding only to the assessment that the usage of space will be physically more "efficient". There will still be very little non-attraction "walking space", and a lot of the real estate that was the river is used as a physical buffer.

phillip9698

How many people COULD fit on an attraction is irrelevant if people don’t want to experience it.

The new use of the land will be more efficient just from people actually wanting to go over there and experience the attractions n

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The one at Disneyland was cut in half, has entirely different construction, is not built in a swamp, does not connect to a natural body of water, sees significantly less rainfall, and is maintained at natural height.
We have structures going back centuries, and Disney can't maintain a riverbed for over 50 years? Give me a break. We don't need to be fed the nonsense. They either let it deteriorate and therefore decided it is not worth fixing and will just utilize the space for something else. Or the riverbed is just fine, but they still want to trash it anyways.

peter11435

We have structures going back centuries, and Disney can't maintain a riverbed for over 50 years? Give me a break. We don't need to be fed the nonsense. They either let it deteriorate and therefore decided it is not worth fixing and will just utilize the space for something else. Or the riverbed is just fine, but they still want to trash it anyways.
Can you point to a similar structure that’s been around centuries without needing significant maintenance/replacement?

Do you have a concrete pool that’s been around over 50 years without needing to be replaced/resurfaced?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Give me a babbling brook or give me death

Wish.jpg

UNCgolf

Not disagreeing that this change will see more traffic and interest. I was responding only to the assessment that the usage of space will be physically more "efficient". There will still be very little non-attraction "walking space", and a lot of the real estate that was the river is used as a physical buffer.

Toy Story Land is a great example of this. The attractions are popular, but it's still a relatively inefficient use of space.

With a better design, it could offer everything it currently offers plus more on the same plot of land.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Can you point to a similar structure that’s been around centuries without needing significant maintenance/replacement?

Do you have a concrete pool that’s been around over 50 years without needing to be replaced/resurfaced?
You just made my point. You are saying Disney didn't maintain it. I am glad we are on the same page.

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom