News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Disstevefan1

That’s a completely separate situation and scenario. Do your own posts make sense to you?
Made ya look, LOL. ;)

No matter what is said on these boards TWDC will continue to make ridiculous decisions that take WAY TOO LONG to complete. Who knows, maybe they will change their minds 2 or three times on this.

And I will do my part with ridiculous posts 👍 the end result is sadly the same...

CoasterCowboy67

How many total people fit on the islands, the rafts, and the Liberty Belle concurrently now? How long do they stay there on average? How many people could TSI conceivably entertain in an hour if utilized to capacity?
Not much. The entirety of the area of water is unusable except for those on the 1 riverboat and couple of rafts at a given time. The island’s capacity has to be minimal given the safety hazard of having an island packed full of people. Any theoretical count of how many people you can have physically fit in the island has no practical significance
How does that compare to how many people can fit in the queues, shops, and attractions concurrently in the Cars area, and how long are they spending on entertainment and shopping relative to non-quality time spent standing in line?
These areas are a lot more. Queues, especially these starting Day 1, are assumed to be packed to the brim. Add in retail, the rides themselves, the second of which looks to be a flat ride and you’ve got at least 10x more.

If the track crosses over itself, it’s being space efficient not inefficient. We have no idea how many cars there will be or how fast they go. But you don’t need calculus to understand how removing a river and island and replacing it with something even vaguely like the artwork results in far more people using the same square footage

Incomudro

Toy Story Land is a great example of this. The attractions are popular, but it's still a relatively inefficient use of space.

With a better design, it could offer everything it currently offers plus more on the same plot of land.
They also cut some of the features the concept art depicted for the Slinky Dog Coaster.
Parts of the coaster were originally supposed to run through portions of trench.

walt7204

Frontierland is my favorite area of MK and only pandora is close in all of WDW. Will be excited to see it as it is once more this fall. I have been to WDW just about once every 18 months or so, maybe 20 times over 25 ish years growing up with my family, and have no recollection of ever going on the riverboat or tom sawyers island. As long as sightlines are respected and money is put into the outward facing theming I am very excited for this project. Would I prefer they keep the bottom of RoA, yes I like the ambience. But give me something else pretty to look at that thematically works (doesn't have to be perfect) and I will be happy.

Timing wise, Disney needs to get its act together. If RoA closes early spring next year and this land doesn't open until 2030, then I would be annoyed. Winter 2028 for Frontierland 2.0, with Villians in 2030 (hopefully at the latest), with potential Moana in Adventureland, something in the speedway by 2030-2032 ish and a cleanup of tomorrowland - MK will be in great shape with expansion pads still to the north and west of BTM. I am optimistic about MK and WDW in general and hope this is just the start of a great ten+ years of new attractions.

James Alucobond

If the track crosses over itself, it’s being space efficient not inefficient.
I still struggle to understand your use of the word “efficient”. The Tomorrowland Speedway crosses over itself but is not a terribly efficient use of the space. The mere presence of elevation changes and crossovers in ride paths has next to zero to do with efficiency.

CoasterCowboy67

No one's mentioning if the weight is distributed over the entire concrete floor or not. (It is.)

Let's say the weigh of the water is 10 tons. And you swim down three feet and lie flat on the concrete floor. Do you feel the weight of all 10 tons?

No.

You feel the weight of just the water above you in a column the shape of your body.

What does this matter? The original claim was that the boat was “free floating” and the riverbed had no weight on it except for the track and the piers. We’ve now accepted that’s not true, good, but now we’re splitting hairs between the entire riverbed and one square foot of it. Sure, one square foot of the riverbed has one square foot worth of volume of water above it. Point being? It’s equally accurate to state the entirety of the riverbed is supporting the entirety of the water above it if you isolate the riverbed as one rigid body in a free body diagram, which is a reasonable assumption. The fact holds that this is an insignificant amount of weight that can absolutely deteriorate the riverbed over time. Saying “well so what let the riverbed break” is willingly ignoring the purpose of putting in the riverbed in the first place. If it isn’t necessary why was it put in?

We have structures going back centuries, and Disney can't maintain a riverbed for over 50 years? Give me a break. We don't need to be fed the nonsense. They either let it deteriorate and therefore decided it is not worth fixing and will just utilize the space for something else. Or the riverbed is just fine, but they still want to trash it anyways.
They’re not saying they can’t fix it. They’re saying it’s not worth fixing to have an empty island, boat, and rafts and dead end to two major attractions, all while making it difficult to access a marquee new land.

CoasterCowboy67

I still struggle to understand your use of the word “efficient”. The Tomorrowland Speedway crosses over itself but is not a terribly efficient use of the space. The mere presence of elevation changes and crossovers in ride paths has next to zero to do with efficiency.
Space efficiency is relative. Obviously Doctor Doom’s Fearfall is more space efficient than Radiator Springs Racers. I’m just saying that the use of overlapping tracks creates a more space efficienct layout because you are using vertical volume

RSoxNo1

By all accounts, it looks like the main attraction won't use the Test Track / RSR slot car system. Either on here or on Twitter, I saw a post about a Dynamic attractions ride system that could be utilized for this. The hesitancy would be 4 person vehicles instead of 6, but that's what's depicted in the concept art as well:

As for the secondary attraction, it looks like it could be a trackless flat ride similar to Rollickin Roadsters, but hopefully closer in execution to a dry Aquatopia.

tallica

Spoiler alert, water is not blue/white and opaque despite frequently being illustrated as such. Though, to be fair, Disney apparently also forgot this when planning the Harmonious fountains.
1723761282455.png

1723761397268.png

Opaque means 'not transparent'

the_rich

Frontierland is my favorite area of MK and only pandora is close in all of WDW. Will be excited to see it as it is once more this fall. I have been to WDW just about once every 18 months or so, maybe 20 times over 25 ish years growing up with my family, and have no recollection of ever going on the riverboat or tom sawyers island. As long as sightlines are respected and money is put into the outward facing theming I am very excited for this project. Would I prefer they keep the bottom of RoA, yes I like the ambience. But give me something else pretty to look at that thematically works (doesn't have to be perfect) and I will be happy.

Timing wise, Disney needs to get its act together. If RoA closes early spring next year and this land doesn't open until 2030, then I would be annoyed. Winter 2028 for Frontierland 2.0, with Villians in 2030 (hopefully at the latest), with potential Moana in Adventureland, something in the speedway by 2030-2032 ish and a cleanup of tomorrowland - MK will be in great shape with expansion pads still to the north and west of BTM. I am optimistic about MK and WDW in general and hope this is just the start of a great ten+ years of new attractions.
I really think they are planning for tropical America's in 27, cars in 28, monsters in 29 and villains in 29/30

the_rich

By all accounts, it looks like the main attraction won't use the Test Track / RSR slot car system. Either on here or on Twitter, I saw a post about a Dynamic attractions ride system that could be utilized for this. The hesitancy would be 4 person vehicles instead of 6, but that's what's depicted in the concept art as well:

As for the secondary attraction, it looks like it could be a trackless flat ride similar to Rollickin Roadsters, but hopefully closer in execution to a dry Aquatopia.

From what u can see in the art it does look more like aquatopia

Phroobar

So Radiator Springs Racers without the Racers and not set in Radiator Springs. Instead self driving slow jeeps doing car show demos. For this you lose the ROA.

Exciting!

CoasterCowboy67

I
Why have you not looked at the river bed? There are photos of it from 2020 when it was drained.

People with ties to Disney have also pushed nonsense.
I don’t mean looking at it in a picture. I mean physically examining it and understanding its condition. Nobody here has, yet many are pretty boldly claiming it’s fine nonetheless. I’m only stating it’s reasonably plausible that it’s not fine, and if it wasn’t fine, that it would be an understandable justification not to further invest in a park feature that fails to satisfy many other criteria.

TrainsOfDisney

Not much. The entirety of the area of water is unusable except for those on the 1 riverboat and couple of rafts at a given time.
The majority of this project will result in small waterways and rockwork taking up the space. It doesn’t suddenly become a guest accessible area.

If water that is used for an attraction is “unusable” rockwork / driving paths for an attraction is also “unusable”

JoeCamel

Isn't that the ride system that was pitched for a Jurassic World/Park ride years ago?

corran horn

The majority of this project will result in small waterways and rockwork taking up the space. It doesn’t suddenly become a guest accessible area.

If water that is used for an attraction is “unusable” rockwork / driving paths for an attraction is also “unusable”
well, I'm fairly certain there will be a straight walking path between BTMRR and HM in a way that does not exist now.

The Chatbox Ghost

Man, this is cool but it’s gonna be down so often, especially due to weather. No wonder there’s probably going to be no water around the attraction itself, if the computers glitch they could send the ATVs right into the water!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom