News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Mr. Sullivan

It’s an interesting read - it reminds me of the “reasons” that we lost the subs as well.

There were certainly options to keep the River - to say it wasn’t possible is 100% false.
Sure they may have been options, but if an option is not feasible then it’s not really an option.

I’m very much of the mind that there are many cases where modern Disney management likes to be lazy or thoughtless. We see it all over. But I am also of the mind that we as fan sometimes think that they are capable of moving the heavens and the earth to do things we want them to do, they just choose not to.

I definitely think there are cases of them simply not listening to what their fans want. I also think there are cases of fans reacting to things on a purely emotional level without considering various very real factors that influence a decision that we may not be made privy to because those factors involve details of park operations and construction.

We know and have known for years that not all of the land Disney owns in Florida is buildable land. We also have known for years that some of the things they DID build have not aged well whether it be poor design choices made at the time, design choices that ultimately were hampered by the parks’ further development, or the effects of building on swamp land.

There’s been talk for years that the river was in rough shape below the waterline. Many people seemed to think one day it’d be drained and the riverbed fixed (or an attempt would be made to fix it). Magic Kingdom is a theme park on a massive scale, but is also a fairly poorly designed one overall in terms of where they put certain things and how they built them.

It is very possible that the river’s problems had nothing to do with it and they just wanted it gone. It’s all very possible that any solution to these perpetual problems with the river was not actionable in the longterm and would not fix the issue but only prolong it until they had to address it again.

The truth is we don’t know. Won’t ever know. It involves aspects of the park, it’s design, and operations that won’t ever be made public knowledge. I don’t think we can just look at this from a purely emotional standpoint. As thoughtless as Disney leadership can be, I have no doubt in my mind there are dozens of factors that motivated this decision, and not all of them had to do with greed.

I only posted the Tweet to highlight that as emotional as it makes everyone, we cannot forget that there are indeed things out there that go beyond leadership incompetence and that sometimes things just wind up in a condition that isn’t really saveable in a way that makes sense.

Stripes

Premium Member
Possible and realistic are two different things.

Frankly, getting an aesthetic in Frontierland that looks like Grizzly Peak and 4 new popular attractions and beautiful vistas is a deal I’ll take any day over the worst looking Rivers of America at any Disney park.

View attachment 809198

View attachment 809199

View attachment 809200
In fairness, I found a nicer photo, with a filter, of ROA.

IMG_0937.jpeg

And here’s Tokyo. MK’s ROA was nothing special and now our Frontierland will be distinguished by its unique beauty rather than it’s unique blandness.

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

Credit to https://x.com/thehappyzan?s=21

Disney Analyst

MrPromey

Construction started on GE April 14th, 2016. It opened at Disneyland May 31st, 2019, and DHS August 29th, 2019.

So basically 3 years for Disneyland. 3 years 3.5 months for DHS.
I'm going by announcement dates since that's what we have to go by here which in your example was D23 August 15th, 2015 and I'm talking about Florida - the same place this is going.

Construction hasn't started.

Heck, they even said there would still be "plenty of time" to enjoy things as they are before it starts.

When does that lead you to believe we'll start seeing vertical work on a new attraction in this current space?

Sir_Cliff

In fairness, I found a nicer photo, with a filter, of ROA.

View attachment 809204

And here’s Tokyo. MK’s ROA was nothing special and now our Frontierland will be distinguished by its unique beauty rather than it’s unique blandness.

View attachment 809205

View attachment 809206

View attachment 809207

Credit to https://x.com/thehappyzan?s=21
What you're describing as "unique beauty" involves a mountain in the shape of a piston as the centrepiece and cars with big cartoon faces zooming around.

As always, though, beauty is subjective.

Disney Analyst

I'm going by announcement dates.

Construction hasn't started.

Heck, they even said there would still be "plenty of time" to enjoy things as they are before it starts.

When does that lead you to believe we'll start seeing vertical work on a new attraction?

Work starts next year. And I don’t think this cars buildout would take as long as GE, simply due to it seemingly looking like a less complex build, based on concept to art. I’m still going with 2 maybe 2.5 years for it. 2027, early 2028 at latest.

MrPromey

Work starts next year. And I don’t think this cars buildout would take as long as GE, simply due to it seemingly looking like a less complex build, based on concept to art. I’m still going with 2 maybe 2.5 years for it. 2027, early 2028 at latest.
I'm sure that could happen but the last 15-20 years of how they've chosen to manage builds suggests otherwise.

From experience watching what they do, I just don't share your optimism they'll move at that pace but maybe this time will be different.

Stripes

Premium Member
What you're describing as "unique beauty" involves a mountain in the shape of a piston as the centrepiece and cars with big cartoon faces zooming around.

As always, though, beauty is subjective.
That’s all going to be hidden behind a beautiful landscape of trees, rocks, and waterfalls. Sightlines. It’s why you can’t see the Tangled tower from the Haunted Mansion.

And genuinely, I don’t know why the Cars movies get so much hate. Cars Land at DCA is to this day my favorite theme park land anywhere. It’s beautiful.

Sir_Cliff

That’s all going to be hidden behind a beautiful landscape of trees, rocks, and waterfalls. Sightlines. It’s why you can’t see the Tangled tower from the Haunted Mansion.
Look at the concept art: the mountain is not supposed to be hidden, you're supposed to see it when you walk into the land from the hub. They're not planning for it to be hidden behind a wall of trees.

Sir_Cliff

Because they didn't expect the publics shock? Or because they never had solid plans and 'dirt moving' in the first place with some 'what have we done' realizations?
To some extent they knew what the reaction would be because they didn't reveal their specific plans.

They presumably also thought they would get some blowback but people would ultimately prefer a shiny new nighttime spectacular featuring their favourite Disney songs over the views across World Showcase Lagoon. At least in that case, though, they could correct the error. Once Rivers of America is replaced by Cars, there's no going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom