Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Lol, well first of all 10% of global publishing doesn't say too much just because publishing has declined in popularity in general.
One issue with that is that comics percentage keeps increasing, even if there has been slight decline overall in global publishing.

As for Carol and Kamala, Kamala isn't my style but she's not a bad character. She however is not as important or as popular as you or Disney, or Vox lol, seem to claim or think they are. Marvel pushes her, and especially Carol, but they just do NOT sell that many comics. They sell some sure, and I have no doubt they're more popular among women than men, for obvious reasons. But Marvel Comics wants Captain Marvel to be A-list so bad but in sales she's like B list at best, probably C. Look at the charts throughout 2022. I can send links if you'd like. She rarely even cracks the top 25 single issue sales for Marvel. And Kamala is even more niche than she is.
I'm fully aware of the actual sales. However I don't think you're giving the characters their proper due. Women are still a smaller percentage of comic readers, but of those both characters are up there in terms of popularity among women. That is the point.

Phroobar

One issue with that is that comics percentage keeps increasing, even if there has been slight decline overall in global publishing.

I'm fully aware of the actual sales. However I don't think you're giving the characters their proper due. Women are still a smaller percentage of comic readers, but of those both characters are up there in terms of popularity among women. That is the point.
Can you post these actual sales numbers?

BlakeW39

That's not the point though. We're talking about popularity and sales. What actual evidence do you have that these characters are so "popular and important" among women? What sales data suggests they hit, say, the top 25 among female readers? I'm sorry man but a sale is a sale. It doesn't matter who a sale comes from, but if a book doesn't sell much it doesn't sell much. In terms of general audiences, Captain Marvel is just not that well liked, doesn't sell very many comics, and Ms. Marvel even less so. You may deem them important for various reasons, Vox may claim they're important for xyz progressive reasons, but at the end of the day they just aren't that popular among comic book fans or— and I'll do you one better —MCU fans. It's funny because I once saw an interview where Joe and Anthony Russo had to look over fan polls and whatnot on the MCU characters. And you could see their reaction when they saw the fans rejecting Carol. Hence why she doesn't get a second solo film.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Can you post these actual sales numbers?
Which ones? I'm not the one who is making the claim on where Capt Marvel and Ms Marvel are on the "charts", get that from the poster who said they can provide the links.

For publishing numbers that I was talking about, here:

spacemt354

Chili's
Someone already mentioned that it was the same trailer from last year at D23, so it’s possible that it was very premature special effects that are already different.
It seems that's the case, but it begs the question why release a first trailer like this if the effects aren't complete? I can remember back to trailers like Age of Ultron, where the Hulkbuster fight looked very impressive in the teaser trailer, and that was the same trailer released at a previous convention months before.

I know there's been a logjam of SFX issues with Marvel, but to me it's lazy to release an unfinished trailer as the first impression of the film because they know the fans will see it anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's not the point though. We're talking about popularity and sales. What actual evidence do you have that these characters are so "popular and important" among women? What sales data suggests they hit, say, the top 25 among female readers? I'm sorry man but a sale is a sale. It doesn't matter who a sale comes from, but if a book doesn't sell much it doesn't sell much. In terms of general audiences, Captain Marvel is just not that well liked, doesn't sell very many comics, and Ms. Marvel even less so. You may deem them important for various reasons, Vox may claim they're important for xyz progressive reasons, but at the end of the day they just aren't that popular among comic book fans or— and I'll do you one better —MCU fans. It's funny because I once saw an interview where Joe and Anthony Russo had to look over fan polls and whatnot on the MCU characters. And you could see their reaction when they saw the fans rejecting Carol. Hence why she doesn't get a second solo film.
I appreciate your opinion, however I disagree.

Go ahead and provide all your data, it'll be interesting to look at.

BlakeW39

I appreciate your opinion, however I disagree.

Go ahead and provide all your data, it'll be interesting to look at.

So for example this is the top 100 single issue comics from October 2022, just the first thing that came up.

Notice that Marvel dominates with 62/100, but Captain Marvel barely even makes the list, at 92nd place. That means she does not make the top 50 in Marvel single issue comics for the month, lower even than more niche characters like Ghost Rider.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So for example this is the top 100 single issue comics from October 2022, just the first thing that came up.

Notice that Marvel dominates with 62/100, but Captain Marvel barely even makes the list, at 92nd place. That means she does not make the top 50 in Marvel single issue comics for the month, lower even than more niche characters like Ghost Rider.
That is a single issue in a single month not the entire run of the character. And looking at that same list, that months Captain America was ranked at 65. I wouldn't say that Captain America is not popular just because it didn't make it into the top 50 for that month.

And if you dig a little deeper, she is in the top 5 for female lead comics for that month.

BlakeW39

That is a single issue in a single month not the entire run of the character. And looking at that same list, that months Captain America was ranked at 65. I wouldn't say that Captain America is not popular just because it didn't make it into the top 50 for that month.

And if you dig a little deeper, she is in the top 5 for female lead comics for that month.

No, I meant top 50 for Marvel. Not overall. Captain America makes the top 50 for Marvel. Anyways, nah Captain America was never all that popular in the comics. While I like his character, he's never captured that much of an audience among readers. His popularity largely stems from the MCU.

Carol making the top 5 female leads is also not surprising as (unfortunately) there are not many female led comics. But that aside, X-Men appears throughout the top 100 and has many female characters. These are more important for the genre in terms of female representation (they have been influential and important female characters for decade; Danvers Captain Marvel is a much newer character by comparison) and are, in my opinion, vastly better written.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, I meant top 50 for Marvel. Not overall. Captain America makes the top 50 for Marvel. Anyways, nah Captain America was never all that popular in the comics. While I like his character, he's never captured that much of an audience among readers. His popularity largely stems from the MCU.

Carol making the top 5 female leads is also not surprising as (unfortunately) there are not many female led comics. But that aside, X-Men appears throughout the top 100 and has many female characters. These are more important for the genre in terms of female representation (they have been influential and important female characters for decade; Danvers Captain Marvel is a much newer character by comparison) and are, in my opinion, vastly better written.
The point is my friend that both Capt Marvel and Ms Marvel whether one wants to admit it or not, sales aside, are important characters for Marvel and the MCU . You can slice and dice the sales figures all you want to determine "popularity" but Marvel has deemed them important enough to base entire story lines around.

We'll see how The Marvels does at the box office, but my personal opinion is that it'll do pretty well overall. I won't give an actual prediction as some posters jump all over me when I've done that in the past. So lets just say I think it'll do better than recent MCU films.

BlakeW39

The point is my friend that both Capt Marvel and Ms Marvel whether one wants to admit it or not, sales aside, are important characters for Marvel and the MCU . You can slice and dice the sales figures all you want to determine "popularity" but Marvel has deemed them important enough to base entire story lines around.

We'll see how The Marvels does at the box office, but my personal opinion is that it'll do pretty well overall. I won't give an actual prediction as some posters jump all over me when I've done that in the past. So lets just say I think it'll do better than recent MCU films.

Well I think it's important to define the word important. Important to whom? Marvel definitely favors and invests in those franchises, but I would argue that isn't fully predicated on their popularity. Marvel's focus on those characters is more a Disney thing than a Marvel thing really.

As for how The Marvels will perform, I think it has the potential to surpass Ant-Man and the Wasp, but it's hard to say if that potential will materialize. Captain Marvel is a bigger name than Ant-Man sure, but the latter was advertised as being more important to the MCU at large, and was to said to introduce the franchise's 'next Thanos.' I think if The Marvels does surpass Quantumania, it won't be by much. No chance it cuts through the $1B mark. It'll almost certainly end under Wakanda Forever.

I'd like to hear your predictions, personally.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I think it's important to define the word important. Important to whom? Marvel definitely favors and invests in those franchises, but I would argue that isn't fully predicated on their popularity. Marvel's focus on those characters is more a Disney thing than a Marvel thing really.
In reality Disney and Marvel are one in the same now, especially after Perlmutter was ousted. Feige is making the decisions for all of Marvel not just the MCU, and he reports directly to Iger (or whomever is CEO of Disney at the time). There is no separation between the two entities now and hasn't been for many years.

So with that said, Capt Marvel and Ms Marvel are important for Marvel Comics and the MCU. Its a reason why they've had their comic runs reissued and redone multiple times, including the recent new issues of Capt Marvel as you've pointed to and the recent Ms Marvel Beyond the Limit series.

Now whether they click with audiences long term remains to be seen. But overall my opinion is they are important for representation at Marvel Comics and especially the MCU as some of the other characters you mentioned aren't in the MCU yet. So if you want to say other characters are better for representation, I appreciate your opinion, but it is your opinion just like mine is my opinion.

As for how The Marvels will perform, I think it has the potential to surpass Ant-Man and the Wasp, but it's hard to say if that potential will materialize. Captain Marvel is a bigger name than Ant-Man sure, but the latter was advertised as being more important to the MCU at large, and was to said to introduce the franchise's 'next Thanos.' I think if The Marvels does surpass Quantumania, it won't be by much. No chance it cuts through the $1B mark. It'll almost certainly end under Wakanda Forever.

I'd like to hear your predictions, personally.
I don't think it'll do over $1B, but as I said I think it'll do better than recent MCU films. That is all I'll say on predictions.

BlakeW39

In reality Disney and Marvel are one in the same now, especially after Perlmutter was ousted. Feige is making the decisions for all of Marvel not just the MCU, and he reports directly to Iger (or whomever is CEO of Disney at the time). There is no separation between the two entities now and hasn't been for many years.

So with that said, Capt Marvel and Ms Marvel are important for Marvel Comics and the MCU. Its a reason why they've had their comic runs reissued and redone multiple times, including the recent new issues of Capt Marvel as you've pointed to and the recent Ms Marvel Beyond the Limit series.

Now whether they click with audiences long term remains to be seen. But overall my opinion is they are important for representation at Marvel Comics and especially the MCU as some of the other characters you mentioned aren't in the MCU yet. So if you want to say other characters are better for representation, I appreciate your opinion, but it is your opinion just like mine is my opinion.

I don't think it'll do over $1B, but as I said I think it'll do better than recent MCU films. That is all I'll say on predictions.

Marvel and Disney are one in the same now. Disney, after they bought Marvel, made the decision to push Carol to the forefront. Before that, the character was never really all that well known. I fully agree Disney values those characters. I'm just saying their audience doesn't, at least not nearly as much.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Marvel and Disney are one in the same now. Disney, after they bought Marvel, made the decision to push Carol to the forefront. Before that, the character was never really all that well known. I fully agree Disney values those characters. I'm just saying their audience doesn't, at least not nearly as much.
Marvel was already working on film plans for Carol and other female lead films prior to Disney.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Purely anecdotally - as a Marvel merchandise collector and as someone who watches the character interactions and cosplay in the parks regularly - female fans I've encountered are obsessed with Wanda. Wanda Wanda Wanda. I'm not sure if it's her tragic nature or the portrayal by the actress, but yeah, it's all about Wanda.

I also see some love for Black Widow and Peggy Carter (who has yet to appear in the parks). Sylvie had a fair amount of interest when the Loki show was on in terms of collecting and cosplay and I'm sure she would have been a huge hit at the park. People like Gamora at the Dance-Off.

But yeah, people point at Captain Marvel when she's out on patrol on Campus. They'll take pictures with her. Occasionally a little girl is dressed as her. But I don't see the same passion for her character or collecting her merch.

It's all about Wanda.

Phroobar

People like the bad girls.... ;)
iu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom