Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

TP2000

Yes, but even 30 seconds focused on just her was... off-putting and a reminder why I didn't care for the first film.

Just a personal reaction, but I think focusing on the team (and the flerkens lol) is the better play.

Who is the audience for this film? I thought Marvel's PG-13 movies targeted mainly boys and young men aged 13 to 28?

It's been decades since I targeted that same audience :cool:, but I don't think this trailer would entice them to buy a movie ticket.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes, but even 30 seconds focused on just her was... off-putting and a reminder why I didn't care for the first film.

Just a personal reaction, but I think focusing on the team (and the flerkens lol) is the better play.
Had you not been following this forum you may never have even seen this spot. It'll be limited in its usage I'm sure, as are most 30 second spots. I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't have similar one-off spots for Kamala and Monica in the next week or two.

The primary marketing of the film is and will continue to be the team aspect, that is the focus. So Disney appears to be on the same page as you. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who is the audience for this film? I thought Marvel's PG-13 movies targeted mainly boys and young men aged 13 to 28?

It's been decades since I targeted that same audience :cool:, but I don't think this trailer would entice them to buy a movie ticket.
MCU isn't marketed just for boys/men. Its almost split down the middle now I believe something like a 52%/48% male/female fan based. This discussion was had in one of the many threads in this forum with data showing the same.

Though female superheros do tend to appeal/entice boys/men of all ages for some obvious reasons.

doctornick

And they were doing so well up to this point not making the marketing about Captain Marvel.

I'm partial, admittedly, but I think focusing on the team will sell it better than focusing on her.

While I don't think that is as much an issue as you and others do, I think this new ad kinda sucks. The earlier ones were awesome and got me psyched and this was was just boring as all get out. Not ideal right when tickets are going to go on sale.

doctornick

MCU isn't marketed just for boys/men. Its almost split down the middle now I believe something like a 52%/48% male/female fan based. This discussion was had in one of the many threads in this forum with data showing the same.

Though female superheros do tend to appeal/entice boys/men of all ages for some obvious reasons.

Yeah, MCU films are about a firmly 4 quadrant as anything. Sure, the more obsessive fans might skew more male/younger - though I'm not even sure - but they are more marketed at people who want lighthearted action films as much as anything.

doctornick

Well Captain Marvel was a Billon dollar film..and it was solely a Captain Marvel movie… no team involved

And before anyone retorts with the common refrain ("that's only because people watched it because of Infinity War/Endgame") I'll point out again that Ant Man and the Wasp only made $622M in the same timeframe and was actually more critical to understanding Endgame.

Last edited:

MarvelCharacterNerd

Had you not been following this forum you may never have even seen this spot. It'll be limited in its usage I'm sure, as are most 30 second spots. I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't have similar one-off spots for Kamala and Monica in the next week or two.

The primary marketing of the film is and will continue to be the team aspect, that is the focus. So Disney appears to be on the same page as you. ;)
I'd seen the spot previously on another site; I just reacted to it here. lol

I'm rooting for this film to be as fun as previous marketing tried to imply. I just LOVE Ms. Marvel/Iman Vellani and find her as utterly dear as Tom Holland is as Peter Parker. They both just nailed the sweetness of those characters. And I liked Monica as an adult in WandaVision and as a kid in Captain Marvel. Admittedly, I find Captain Marvel as played by Brie Larson to be dour and kind of a buzzkill for a character I wanted to really enjoy but haven't to this point. I'm hoping the other two will lighten her up and the film as well.

Plus... FLERKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! #kittiesftw

MarvelCharacterNerd

As for the Marvel audience, I think the first few films targeted the comic book fans (yes, stereotypically straight white males).

But Cap and Thor brought female interest, and the films grew in the zeitgeist until they became genuine four-quadrant hits.

To expand the audience, however, I think they've clearly shifted to targeting female, queer and diverse audiences that weren't as strongly represented early on.

Whether they've lost the original audiences in the process long term remains to be seen.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd seen the spot previously on another site; I just reacted to it here. lol
LOL, the point was that this is one 30 second spot not going to be the focus of marketing going forward. So your fears of them going away from focusing on the team aspect in unfounded, as it won't happen. The whole movie is about focusing in on how they are stronger as a team, and the marketing will continue to focus on that aspect.

Basil of Baker Street

Not me. Don't care for Marvel. I'm excited for Wish.

DKampy

Midday the day after pre sales and still no word on how they’re going….
you are antsy on this one… patience… I would expect projections for The Marvels will be discussed tomorrow… at least I usually see projections begin usually the Thursday after tickets go on sale

TP2000

Midday the day after pre sales and still no word on how they’re going….
you are antsy on this one… patience… I would expect projections for The Marvels will be discussed tomorrow… at least I usually see projections begin usually the Thursday after tickets go on sale

A reminder of box office hard facts and data...

With a $225 Million production budget, after its $50 Million tax subsidy compliments of the British taxpayer (Thanks Brits, I'm sure you didn't need that money for anything, but Disney is happy to take it from you), The Marvels will need to see a global box office of roughly $650 Million to break even. To get to $650 Million globally, it needs to see at least a $90 Million opening weekend domestically from the USA box office, and a similarly strong overseas box office.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A reminder of box office hard facts and data...

With a $225 Million production budget, after its $50 Million tax subsidy compliments of the British taxpayer (Thanks Brits, I'm sure you didn't need that money for anything, but Disney is happy to take it from you), The Marvels will need to see a global box office of roughly $650 Million to break even. To get to $650 Million globally, it needs to see at least a $90 Million opening weekend domestically from the USA box office, and a similarly strong overseas box office.
It is possible to open less than $90M domestically and still make over $650M.

For example the fist Doctor Strange opened at $85M domestic and ended up making $677M WW. Venom, which is MCU adjacent, opened at $80M domestic and ended up making $856M WW.

So these are not "hard facts", they are just your back of napkin figures. While it makes it easier to get to $650M or higher if it opens higher than $90M, it is not a rule that it must. We'll see how it turns out, but it'll make whatever it makes.

MrPromey

Yeah, not a fan of that one, either. It reminds me a lot about what I didn't like in the first one but somebody obviously liked that aspect so I get why this was made.

That said, I think you're right. I know I'd have probably never seen this one if it hadn't been posted here.

I still think the main trailer looks fun.

I'm still holding out hope - it feels like it's been a while with a Marvel that isn't Spiderman so I'm ready for it to be good.

Tha Realest

Not antsy. Just an observation that many very successful, in-demand films have their studios brag about their presales the day afterwards if they’re doing well. Yes, we should start seeing projections later today.

Phroobar

With empty theaters, showings every half hour and preselected seats, why presale a ticket? In most cases one can show up a half hour before and not have a problem with seating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom