Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Jedijax719

The teaser seemed very odd and goofy but was just as has been advertised.

The interesting thing about a bunch of sequels lately is that they (Dr Strange 2 and this primarily) have been tied to things that came out after the first one, as if there wasn't enough interest in making sequels on their own merits.

doctornick

Just for a head count, what are everyone's thoughts regarding this film? See it or pass?
I’ll see any MCU film in the theater so it’s a see it until they disappoint me. Even the “worse” MCU films a a decent fun few hours at the movies.

Captain Marvel was okay but nothing special to me. I was fairly meh about The Marvels but absolutely love the trailer and it has gotten me really excited for the movie. It looks a quirky funny team up with different personalities interacting. To be fair, I loved Ms Marvel as a series and seeing her interact and be a fangirl with other heroes looks like a blast.

BlakeW39

I’ll see any MCU film in the theater so it’s a see it until they disappoint me. Even the “worse” MCU films a a decent fun few hours at the movies.

Captain Marvel was okay but nothing special to me. I was fairly meh about The Marvels but absolutely love the trailer and it has gotten me really excited for the movie. It looks a quirky funny team up with different personalities interacting. To be fair, I loved Ms Marvel as a series and seeing her interact and be a fangirl with other heroes looks like a blast.

Okay, just gauging public appeal. Are you a Marvel Comics fan or just an MCU fan?

MarvelCharacterNerd

I'm extremely pro-Iman Vellani. And extremely anti-Brie Larson. So I'm very conflicted.
See it for Iman. Check your phone when Brie is onscreen. lol

But seriously - this film will get a lot of backlash for a multitude of reasons - I'm team Support Iman because she's a bright light and at least her parts in the film (and her family's) will no doubt be delightful. :)

Ghost93

It looks like it could be fun, but the movie's visual style seems strangely cheap. Looks more like Disney Plus quality. Maybe the color grading is off?

I also have no idea how this will do at the box office since two of the main characters got most of their backstory established in Disney Plus shows.

Phicinfan

Interesting. For what it's worth, I am a comics fan and won't be seeing the film. Do yall think this will do better or worse than Ant-Man did? Did you guys see that one?
I have not yet seen Antman Quantumania, been so swamped I can't get a free night to go to theater. Then again I still haven't seen John Wick 4 either. I am hoping things slow down here soon, missing the time to go see a movie and relax

doctornick

Interesting. For what it's worth, I am a comics fan and won't be seeing the film. Do yall think this will do better or worse than Ant-Man did? Did you guys see that one?
I'd be quite surprised if it did not do better than Quantumania. Ant-Man for whatever reason just has not caught on in the public consciousness. Captain Marvel is very popular (and Ms. Marvel has a strong following among younger comics readers).

The last two movies for each franchise were released relatively close to each other. AM&TW made $622M world wide, while CM made $1.12B worldwide.

Phroobar

I'd be quite surprised if it did not do better than Quantumania. Ant-Man for whatever reason just has not caught on in the public consciousness. Captain Marvel is very popular (and Ms. Marvel has a strong following among younger comics readers).

The last two movies for each franchise were released relatively close to each other. AM&TW made $622M world wide, while CM made $1.12B worldwide.
How is Captain Marvel popular? Does Ms. Marvel have a strong following among younger comics readers? Who are these young comic readers? What are you basing these things on? Most kids don't even read comic books.

BlakeW39

Mmm...

How is Captain Marvel popular? Does Ms. Marvel have a strong following among younger comics readers? Who are these young comic readers? What are you basing these things on? Most kids don't even read comic books.
^^^^^

First off, comic books aren't popular these days, and Kamala isn't even that popular amongst modern readers. I believe her book was cancelled like, 3 times or something? Don't quote me on that. And as far as Captain Marvel goes. I'd venture to say she's not popular at all. I personally don't know anyone who likes her. Like, I don't know them. Her film made a billion dollars sure, but it was also falsely advertised as a must see for Avengers 4.

That said, I think Captain Marvel is a bigger name than Ant-Man (because Marvel has pushed her so hard) and I do agree this film has the potential to pass Quantumania in sales.

Phroobar

I've never seen a kid dressed up as Captain Marvel for Halloween. However in cosplay she is pretty awesome!

iu

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Mmm...

^^^^^

First off, comic books aren't popular these days, and Kamala isn't even that popular amongst modern readers. I believe her book was cancelled like, 3 times or something? Don't quote me on that. And as far as Captain Marvel goes. I'd venture to say she's not popular at all. I personally don't know anyone who likes her. Like, I don't know them. Her film made a billion dollars sure, but it was also falsely advertised as a must see for Avengers 4.

That said, I think Captain Marvel is a bigger name than Ant-Man (because Marvel has pushed her so hard) and I do agree this film has the potential to pass Quantumania in sales.
Might want to check some of your facts there.

Comics accounted for over 10% of all global publishing last year with $7.79B out of $76.14B. So they are popular, especially outside the US.

Also just because you, and some others here, aren't into Kamala or Carol as characters doesn't mean they don't have their fan bases or aren't popular. Both characters are very important and popular among women, and especially women of Middle Eastern descent.

Some recent articles on the topic:

BlakeW39

Might want to check some of your facts there.

Comics accounted for over 10% of all global publishing last year with $7.79B out of $76.14B. So they are popular, especially outside the US.

Also just because you, and some others here, aren't into Kamala or Carol as characters doesn't mean they don't have their fan bases or aren't popular. Both characters are very important and popular among women, and especially women of Middle Eastern descent.

Some recent articles on the topic:

Lol, well first of all 10% of global publishing doesn't say too much just because publishing has declined in popularity in general.

As for Carol and Kamala, Kamala isn't my style but she's not a bad character. She however is not as important or as popular as you or Disney, or Vox lol, seem to claim or think they are. Marvel pushes her, and especially Carol, but they just do NOT sell that many comics. They sell some sure, and I have no doubt they're more popular among women than men, for obvious reasons. But Marvel Comics wants Captain Marvel to be A-list so bad but in sales she's like B list at best, probably C. Look at the charts throughout 2022. I can send links if you'd like. She rarely even cracks the top 25 single issue sales for Marvel. And Kamala is even more niche than she is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom