Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

doctornick

This actually looks really good. I am very pleasantly surprised.

I hope more people will go back and give Ms. Marvel a chance.

I think the trailers are selling it well but maybe it's just me. I was pretty blah on this movie - though Captain Marvel was okay but nothing special, but I really liked Ms. Marvel - but the first trailer really got me psyched/intrigued and this one builds on that. To your point, hopefully the appearance of Ms. Marvel on ABC will get some additional people watching that show which was well done and deserves more attention.

Given the presence of Fury in the film and his being in space again, there's got to be at least a teaser for this at the end of Secret Invasion, right?

doctornick

I have a feeling Aquaman is going to bomb hard… I am hearing not so great things from the test screenings…DC can’t catch a break right now

It's fascinating considering the first movie was a billion dollar box office - easily the highest of any DCEU film. I don't think I've ever seen any less enthusiasm for a follow up to such a big film but the general malaise of the DCEU with the news that they are definitely ending that version of DC characters makes this just a legacy film that no one seems to care about. It might have some decent box office overseas if the spectacle is good as I think the visuals and action really drove the first one's success as opposed to characters/plot and Wan is a good directly for that sort of thing.

DKampy

It's fascinating considering the first movie was a billion dollar box office - easily the highest of any DCEU film. I don't think I've ever seen any less enthusiasm for a follow up to such a big film but the general malaise of the DCEU with the news that they are definitely ending that version of DC characters makes this just a legacy film that no one seems to care about. It might have some decent box office overseas if the spectacle is good as I think the visuals and action really drove the first one's success as opposed to characters/plot and Wan is a good directly for that sort of thing.
Maybe the general public is more aware of the DCEU reboot then I thought… I did not think it would be a runaway success, but I thought Flash would do a little better then it did….I know some people in real life that were excited for Michael Keaton’s return who don’t follow films like I do

Disney Analyst

I also think the narrative out there right now, with all the reshoots, cutting Ben's Batman etc., is giving people a lot of doubts about the film.

MarvelCharacterNerd

REALLY liked The Marvels trailer! Hit the exact tone I was hoping for - a lot warmer than Captain Marvel which I found cold and generally unappealing. Probably because they're giving equal screen time (at least in the trailer) to the more appealing characters - Kamala, Monica and Goose. :)

DCBaker

Premium Member

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to a new Vanity Fair article on Nia DaCosta, the budget for The Marvels is $130 million.

Update - Vanity Fair removed the $130 million number from their article and a much larger budget was revealed in a new article at Forbes.

"Disney has revealed that it spent more than $270 million on making The Marvels, the latest instalment in its Marvel Comics super hero saga, which will be released in theaters in November.

The blockbuster budget is disclosed in company filings released yesterday by the Disney subsidiary which made the movie.

They show that over the two-year period from the incorporation of the company to September 30, 2022, it spent $274.8 million (£221.8 million) and banked a $55 million (£44.4 million) subsidy from the government of the United Kingdom where the movie was made. This brought its net spending down to $219.8 million meaning that the movie will have to gross at least $439.6 million at the box office to break even as studios get around half of theater takings. Passing this threshold might not be child's play."

Full article below.

Tha Realest

Update - Vanity Fair removed the $130 million number from their article and a much larger budget was revealed in a new article at Forbes.

"Disney has revealed that it spent more than $270 million on making The Marvels, the latest instalment in its Marvel Comics super hero saga, which will be released in theaters in November.

The blockbuster budget is disclosed in company filings released yesterday by the Disney subsidiary which made the movie.

They show that over the two-year period from the incorporation of the company to September 30, 2022, it spent $274.8 million (£221.8 million) and banked a $55 million (£44.4 million) subsidy from the government of the United Kingdom where the movie was made. This brought its net spending down to $219.8 million meaning that the movie will have to gross at least $439.6 million at the box office to break even as studios get around half of theater takings. Passing this threshold might not be child's play."

Full article below.

“But they got a subsidy. And there was a new Covid wave. And they got a $200M check from D+. So, it made a profit!”

-Four months from now

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And they were doing so well up to this point not making the marketing about Captain Marvel.

I'm partial, admittedly, but I think focusing on the team will sell it better than focusing on her.
Its a quick teaser spot, similar to the ones originally released, this is not the primary marketing focus. The ones you've seen that show the whole team are the primary marketing focus.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Its a quick teaser spot, similar to the ones originally released, this is not the primary marketing focus. The ones you've seen that show the whole team are the primary marketing focus.
Yes, but even 30 seconds focused on just her was... off-putting and a reminder why I didn't care for the first film.

Just a personal reaction, but I think focusing on the team (and the flerkens lol) is the better play.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom