Captain EO

djkidkaz

Just because people are found not guilty doesn't mean they are innocent of the crime.

OJ Simpson? Casey Anthony?

MJ is a different case because as you said folks have admitted lying, and with him being around kids all the time I think their would have been more allegations. But we'll never know.

draybook

True, but I'm only speaking about MJ. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've spent time in jail because of false accusations and shoddy police work.

Timekeeper

I love EO. That being said, trying to say that Michael Jackson isn't an appropriate image for WDW to use is ridiculous to me. More people associate Miley Cyrus with Disney, and we see how she's turning out. Disney also owns ABC, and have you seen some of the programming on ABC? One show is titled Don't Trust the B___ in Apt 23. Heck, Once Upon a Time includes many popular Disney characters and some of them aren't exactly shed in a positive light, so are we going to crusade against them too?

MJ was found not guilty and at least 1 accuser admitted to lying on behalf of his father's greed. Get over it. He was extremely weird because he never had a childhood or a normal relationship with his father. Innocent is innocent. I seriously hope that some of you never sit on a jury, because your notions of "widely accepted as guilty" are shocking and sad.

This.

If we start playing moral police with respect to the various personalities that Disney has incorporated into its theme park attractions, television programming, etc., we could find much more fault with individuals who have either been convicted of and/or openly admitted to participating in criminal activity. Should the Aerosmith RnRC be taken out or re-themed because of the things that Steven Tyler discussed with Oprah - things that Disney (and the rest of the world) was privy to before casting the band for the attraction? Even someone as beloved as Robin Williams is known for openly admitting to having participated in a less than desirable lifestyle and engaging in what would be deemed felony acts, yet Disney had no problem placing him in movies/attractions.

Unfortunately, for many celebrities, engaging in - or being accused of - criminal behavior seems to 'come with the territory.' It would be virtually impossible to find a cast of personalities that are 100% wholesome ...and who's to say that won't change in the future? Justin Bieber was recently accused of battery on one of his neighbors; who saw that one coming?

For those who want to crusade against anything undesirable, shouldn't we start with those who have been convicted of and/or admitted to that which makes them undesirable before attacking others on the grounds of pure speculation? o_O

rle4lunch

I Heard That Captain EO is permanent... I would love for this to happen because i never liked HISTA. Thoughts?

You're kidding right? This has to be the worst rehashed POS in any Disney park. They are truly milking out something that went out of style about a year after it was released in the 80's. This show is a waste of space for something that could be so.much.more.

It's so lame. You go in, you scoff at George Lucas ripping off his own material. You look at the Handsome Angelica Houston and snicker to yourself. And just before the end, we see a magical rainbow of ridiculousness. And even though you don't want to dance, Michael Jackson says, DANCE, and the seats flop you around like you're supposed to be having fun. You walk out shaking your head at what you just witnessed. Awful experience.

The prelude video is even more galling. The dancers being filmed, taking themselves so seriously. It's appallingly 80's, with all the neon cheese you can eat. Gah, I could only hope a fire hit both the Captain EO theater's simulaneously so they would have to build something new and quit milking a dead child molester's ego.

jharvey

Just because people are found not guilty doesn't mean they are innocent of the crime.

OJ Simpson? Casey Anthony?

MJ is a different case because as you said folks have admitted lying, and with him being around kids all the time I think their would have been more allegations. But we'll never know.

Yeah, but...

When was the last time you saw Song of South for sell at ur local Target? For Disney to be image aware to a fault how was bringing this back a good idea? And it is an awful attraction.

Coming soon to WWOS..... Perfect stiff arming by OJ Simpson.
Coming soon to All-Star Movie.... How to fire off the perfect line by the star of In Cold Blood
Coming soon to WDW...... Casey & Zanny's child care."if we cant get them to sleep, they are immortal"

Timekeeper

This thread isn't about criminal defendants completely unrelated to Disney in cases that many industry experts believe to have been decided by jury nullification. It's about Captain EO and, on a related note, it's evolved into also being about exactly how conservative Disney should be when making decisions on what to publish or who to include in an attraction.

These topics are perfectly relevant and appropriate for discussion. But, too often, these discussions get completely derailed and then closed out until they're started up again. This whole cycle reminds me of Maelstrom -

"You are not the first to [discuss the "appropriateness" of Captain EO], nor shall you be the last."

If we can stay away from taking some stabs (no pun intended) at tasteless humor, then maybe we can actually see some legitimate discussion on Disney attractions, the choices that Disney makes when deciding on which personalities to include in those attractions, whether those decisions are "appropriate," and why or why not. These are, in my humble opinion, legitimate topics for discussion. That's why I hate to see this line of discussion so frequently derailed. It's one thing to suggest that a celebrity who faced certain kinds of charges or accusations is not appropriate for a Disney attraction. That's a legitimate opinion based on an available fact (that someone was simply accused or charged), and I might agree or disagree with you. But it's another thing to suggest that one's personal speculation is somehow a "fact," and I imagine that such discussion is better suited for a different forum.

:)

Figments Friend

-

I was very happy to see EO come back, as HISTA was utter garbage creatively in my opinion.

People say EO looks *dated*, but compared to HISTA, i find EO has a more appealing classic *retro look* visually then the poorly dated CGI elements and old 90s movie tie-in quirks of HISTA.

EO was a major undertaking made to really WOW an audience at the time is was made, and today it holds up well considering it*s age. Also a nice plus is that it was a original concept/story which was the norm then when creating attractions for Disney Theme Parks.....unlike HISTA, which was simply a cheesy movie tie-in/spin off and in most JII Pavillion fans a weak *placeholder*. At that time of HISTAs creation, Disney was all about *synergy* and product placement.

Other comparisons i take note of...

HISTA was yappy..long drawn out and boring during the first half of the presentation. Lots of talk...kids would get restless and if adults were not paying attention the plot went over their heads. The fun did not really begin until about the quarter mark, when you were *shrunken* down and experienced the effects...and dated visual effects at that.

EO is non-stop adventure and retro excitement from start to finish...plus some great catchy music to enjoy in a movie theatre setting. The *traditional* effects elements used in the film still hold up, in my opinion, far better then some give them credit for. I find them much more interesting to look at, but that may be just personal taste as i freely admit i like it *old school*. The use of the in-theatre effects with EO is also put to better use ( particularly the lighting effects ) then were done previously for HISTA.

It all comes down to personal opinion really...some people will dig EO, and others will have nostalgic attachment to HISTA. Between the two though, i think EO is a much better fit for EPCOT...and DLs Tomorrowland...considering the theming as well as the overall quality of the film.

Figments Friend

-
Yeah, i love it.
Always look forward to seeing it whenever i am at EPCOT.

I saw the Disneyland version last year and noted the small differences. Prefer the EPCOT version.

rle4lunch

-

I was very happy to see EO come back, as HISTA was utter garbage creatively in my opinion.

People say EO looks *dated*, but compared to HISTA, i find EO has a more appealing classic *retro look* visually then the poorly dated CGI elements and old 90s movie tie-in quirks of HISTA.

EO was a major undertaking made to really WOW an audience at the time is was made, and today it holds up well considering it*s age. Also a nice plus is that it was a original concept/story which was the norm then when creating attractions for Disney Theme Parks.....unlike HISTA, which was simply a cheesy movie tie-in/spin off and in most JII Pavillion fans a weak *placeholder*. At that time of HISTAs creation, Disney was all about *synergy* and product placement.

Other comparisons i take note of...

HISTA was yappy..long drawn out and boring during the first half of the presentation. Lots of talk...kids would get restless and if adults were not paying attention the plot went over their heads. The fun did not really begin until about the quarter mark, when you were *shrunken* down and experienced the effects...and dated visual effects at that.

EO is non-stop adventure and retro excitement from start to finish...plus some great catchy music to enjoy in a movie theatre setting. The *traditional* effects elements used in the film still hold up, in my opinion, far better then some give them credit for. I find them much more interesting to look at, but that may be just personal taste as i freely admit i like it *old school*. The use of the in-theatre effects with EO is also put to better use ( particularly the lighting effects ) then were done previously for HISTA.

It all comes down to personal opinion really...some people will dig EO, and others will have nostalgic attachment to HISTA. Between the two though, i think EO is a much better fit for EPCOT...and DLs Tomorrowland...considering the theming as well as the overall quality of the film.

I couldn't disagree more. While HISTA did stink, EO stinks just as bad. This is simply Disney being cheap. There isn't any other way around that argument. That's the bottom line. It's a ride that is nearly free to operate, and given its age, there are probably no royalties to pay to any subsequent partners of the film, making it a cheap alternative for anything creative that could be built there. It's more of a travesty than anything that this "ride" still exsists. The "4D" is a joke and even more dated than the film itself.

Figments Friend

I couldn't disagree more. While HISTA did stink, EO stinks just as bad. This is simply Disney being cheap. There isn't any other way around that argument. That's the bottom line. It's a ride that is nearly free to operate, and given its age, there are probably no royalties to pay to any subsequent partners of the film, making it a cheap alternative for anything creative that could be built there. It's more of a travesty than anything that this "ride" still exsists. The "4D" is a joke and even more dated than the film itself.
-
I can agree with you in regards to the appeal of seeing a brand new 4D adventure film. This would of course have been a nice plus, and provided us with a entirely new experience, but my faith in the Disney Company of today to produce something truly creative and innovative, as well as franchise/character/brand synergy endorsement free i have serious doubts.

More then likely the new attraction would be yet another character tie in..or recent movie success franchise incorporated into the presentation in a half-a$$ed way.

I would LIKE in the future to see something new...like that long ago talk of incorporating Figment into the 4D film. The original JII Pavillion was originally going to have such a film, but unfortunately it had to be shelved due to budget concerns.

Even back then...Disney had to pull back a little as far as budget goes.

FabulousFigment

-
I can agree with you in regards to the appeal of seeing a brand new 4D adventure film. This would of course have been a nice plus, and provided us with a entirely new experience, but my faith in the Disney Company of today to produce something truly creative and innovative, as well as franchise/character/brand synergy endorsement free i have serious doubts.

More then likely the new attraction would be yet another character tie in..or recent movie success franchise incorporated into the presentation in a half-a$$ed way.

I would LIKE in the future to see something new...like that long ago talk of incorporating Figment into the 4D film. The original JII Pavillion was originally going to have such a film, but unfortunately it had to be shelved due to budget concerns.

Even back then...Disney had to pull back a little as far as budget goes.
Ugh, A figment ride and movie?!?! I would love to see that!!

Skooterkid

-
Yeah, i love it.
Always look forward to seeing it whenever i am at EPCOT.

I saw the Disneyland version last year and noted the small differences. Prefer the EPCOT version.

I love Captain EO and whilst I've seen the EPCOT version many times I have only seen the Disneyland version once. What kind of differences are there between the two?

Figments Friend

Very small differences, mainly with some of the in-theatre show elements.
The main difference i found to be the moving floor. Much more active in DL...slightly less at EPCOT.

Hey i see you are going back to DL soon. Me too !

jharvey

This thread isn't about criminal defendants completely unrelated to Disney in cases that many industry experts believe to have been decided by jury nullification. It's about Captain EO and, on a related note, it's evolved into also being about exactly how conservative Disney should be when making decisions on what to publish or who to include in an attraction.

These topics are perfectly relevant and appropriate for discussion. But, too often, these discussions get completely derailed and then closed out until they're started up again. This whole cycle reminds me of Maelstrom -

"You are not the first to [discuss the "appropriateness" of Captain EO], nor shall you be the last."

If we can stay away from taking some stabs (no pun intended) at tasteless humor, then maybe we can actually see some legitimate discussion on Disney attractions, the choices that Disney makes when deciding on which personalities to include in those attractions, whether those decisions are "appropriate," and why or why not. These are, in my humble opinion, legitimate topics for discussion. That's why I hate to see this line of discussion so frequently derailed. It's one thing to suggest that a celebrity who faced certain kinds of charges or accusations is not appropriate for a Disney attraction. That's a legitimate opinion based on an available fact (that someone was simply accused or charged), and I might agree or disagree with you. But it's another thing to suggest that one's personal speculation is somehow a "fact," and I imagine that such discussion is better suited for a different forum.

Tasteless pun > deciding which opinion is valid. Must be exhausting.

In before lock

the-reason14

You're kidding right? This has to be the worst rehashed POS in any Disney park. They are truly milking out something that went out of style about a year after it was released in the 80's. This show is a waste of space for something that could be so.much.more.

It's so lame. You go in, you scoff at George Lucas ripping off his own material. You look at the Handsome Angelica Houston and snicker to yourself. And just before the end, we see a magical rainbow of ridiculousness. And even though you don't want to dance, Michael Jackson says, DANCE, and the seats flop you around like you're supposed to be having fun. You walk out shaking your head at what you just witnessed. Awful experience.

The prelude video is even more galling. The dancers being filmed, taking themselves so seriously. It's appallingly 80's, with all the neon cheese you can eat. Gah, I could only hope a fire hit both the Captain EO theater's simulaneously so they would have to build something new and quit milking a dead child molester's ego.

Surely you can find other rides/shows/attractions in a disney park that are just as lame if not moreso. At least eo is off the beaten path and you have to almost go out of your way to find it. Look at monsters inc, that garbage is right along the pathway in tomorrow land, next to another arguable trash attraction. IMO there are other places they can start if they want to clean up these suppose garbage attraction, and they can start with the one literally right next door to eo.

Kirk88

It really wouldn't hurt my feelings if EO was replaced by something else. That being said, it should stay unless there is a replacement. I'd hate to see another empty attraction space in EPCOT. How 'bout a new show where Phineas & Ferb team up with Figment to rescue Dreamfinder. From there you can go get on the newly revamped (and partially retro) version of Journey Into the Imagination....I can have hopes and dreams, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom