Canadian Lumberjack Show to open at Epcot's Canada Pavilion in early October

FerretAfros

Can anyone in the know possibly shed some light on how the show has been received overall, so far?
I caught the end of a show on Sunday, and it seemed like the crowd was moderately enjoying it. Not enough to camp out for it, but enough that nobody left mid-show. I enjoyed what I saw, and thought it was an interesting addition to World Showcase, which helped diversify the music-heavy entertainment schedule back there

But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the drunk gentleman in the back of the audience, who heckled the performers several times, including yelling "Bring back Off Kilter!" as the performers were saying their goodbyes at the end of the show. I don't have a dog in this race, but it really seemed to reflect the overall reaction of an intensely passionate minority in comparison to a much larger audience who was enjoying what they saw. Just because people online or a solitary drunk in the park are fuming about it, doesn't mean that the new show isn't being enjoyed by the audience as a whole

wannabeBelle

That was my understanding as well, I spoke with the Paul McKenna Band and they are definitely there for a year. I do look forward to seeing them! They were really good and I enjoyed their performance, they did need a microphone or two though as the ambient sounds of the UK Pavilion do tend to drown them out. I saw them during the Christmas season so the Lumberjacks were not performing, but I cant imagine trying to listen to beautiful Gaelic music and having chainsaws in the background. UGH!!!! Marie

Oriolesmagic

Okay, log rolling I can get on board with. That's a pretty fun and interesting activity to watch I would imagine. It'll be interesting to see how it's implemented into the show.

Brian Noble

Well yeah, that's why I was wondering, considering they're apparently adding onto the show with that new portion being built by the stage. Is it well received by the average guest. Are they getting good feedback, or are they just sticking with this despite it being a mistake? And they might not view it as we do. So that's why I'm curious what guest feedback has been like.
I was in Epcot after the half marathon last weekend, and stopped by for part of the show. The park was not particularly busy, but there was a very healthy crowd at the lumberjack show that seemed to be enjoying themselves. It's not my cup of tea, and I would much rather have Off Kilter, but it doesn't seem to be the abject disaster that many were predicting/hoping for.

On the bright side, personally, the McKenna foursome was really good (though it drew a much smaller crowd.)

RSoxNo1

That pool can't be cheap... looks like Disney is doubling down here.
I think they recognize that the show isn't popular and are at least willing to throw a bone it's way. If it truly is a year contract as Steve says, I wouldn't be surprised to see it axed (pun intended) after year one. Log rolling probably won't be enough of a draw. It's lumberjacks in flannels not beautiful women in white t-shirts.

SnarkyMonkey

I think the log rolling is a nice addition to the show. I'm starting to warm up a little to this lumberjack show. I guess it's better than keeping the space vacant and I will give it a chance.

officialtom

We'll be at EPCOT on the 23rd and I, especially as a Canadian, am absolutely dreading the lumberjacks. While Off Kilter was made up of Americans, it at least showcased music that's deeply rooted in Canadian (mostly eastern Canadian) culture.

I'm expecting to be too embarrassed by the lumberjacks to be able to watch more than a few minutes.

castlecake2.0

Could they at least be provided with proper costumes from wardrobe and not store bought clothing? Same with the new musical offering in the UK, a big area of opportunity would be providing costumes that fit the pavilion's storyline a bit better.

Ralphlaw

We'll be at EPCOT on the 23rd and I, especially as a Canadian, am absolutely dreading the lumberjacks. While Off Kilter was made up of Americans, it at least showcased music that's deeply rooted in Canadian (mostly eastern Canadian) culture.

I'm expecting to be too embarrassed by the lumberjacks to be able to watch more than a few minutes.

Not to be insensitive, but how, as a Canadian, would you feel about Red Green?

officialtom

Not to be insensitive, but how, as a Canadian, would you feel about Red Green?

Red Green is a Canadian comedy institution. It was one of my favourite shows as a kid and teenager, and I still love the reruns. Sure, it's corny, but it does hit awfully close to home for anybody from rural Canada...my family included.

Would love to see him on stage in the WS!

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Last edited:

PirateFrank

Im going to be there the week of Feb 16 and I too am dreading this. I will try to approach it with an open mind, but I strongly suspect after I see it with my eyes, I will be writing a very long and scathing letter to as many Disney executives as I can.

I know I might get smacked for this, but I see this as a worse afront to the WS than the Frozen/Malestrom mess. At least with what we expect to come of Frozestrom, You can walk into the Norway pavilion, turn your head and still feel like nothing has been bastardized.

The chainsaws blaring throughout the entire WS is going to ruin both the Canadian pavilion while standing in it...but contribute to a poorer experience in the other pavilions wherever the sound of those chainsaws can reach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom