Can we stay at one resort and relax at another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katieanndy

My husband and I are planning a return trip to WDW after our honeymoon 3 years ago. On our honeymoon we stayed at a moderate resort but are not in the same position to put out the extra funds this time. We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing environment of the POR resort last time and would like to visit it and reminice.
Does anyone know if it is possible to stay at a value resort, but relax by the pool of another nicer resort?
When we were thinking about it we thought that it might just be as easy as getting on a bus back to another resort and then staying by the pool with their towels and maybe even eating at their resturant. Anyone tried it?

- Katie

sbkline

You would also have to put a im a dvc member and allowed to pool hop between dvc resorts option

They should also put the option "No, I don't, and I don't really want to because it's too much of a hassle to go to a different resort just to swim in a pool when I could swim in my own for much less hassle. But if someone else wants to pool hop, I don't give a hoot. Unless it's so busy that there's a real need to keep pool hoppers out so as to ensure that I can get it." :D

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Ever watch that old sitcom "Leave it to Beaver"? People like you remind me of that snooty little girl in Beaver's class. I think her name was Judy. She was the one who was always watching everyone else so that she could raise her hand and tell Miss Landers that someone was looking out the window when they were saying the pledge, or that someone else is whispering in class, or whatever. She was a snooty, self righteous little brown noser who always wanted to make sure that the teacher knew just what a good little rule follower whe was. Posts like yours above put me in the mind of people like that.

Wow, I don't get that at all. Maybe because I get where sweetpee's coming from. There's a difference between "look at me following the rules, aren't I special?" and "look at them, taking something for free I paid extra money for!" There are tons of little examples one can make, and all it will probably do is just allow people to express where exactly is their line in the sand. Like you, I only worry about pool hopping when things are so busy that pool hoppers can deprive people of what they've paid for. But I can't fault anyone else for being angry about it during the dead periods, either.

I will say this about that - seems to me pool hopping is most tempting at the resorts with the easiest access - the monorail and the Epcot/Studios resorts. I know Stormalong Bay closes off access; I'm not sure which other resorts do. But if those resorts were to close off access with a key entry, that would probably take care of 95% of pool hopping right there. I could totally be wrong, but I can't imagine too many people talking two buses, perhaps over an hour of their day, to go to SSR, OKW or the moderate resorts just to pool hop. Even AKL, as much as I love it, I can't imagine a lot of people getting the chance to pool hop. If you're going to Boma for breakfast, you're probably heading to AK as soon as you're done, and won't want to waste time. Dinner, you're probably more dressed and not prepped for swimming. Do a lot of people sneak off during the day and bus it to AKL to swim? Or try? I don't know.

WL pool? I can see that more. There's a fun family restaurant open for lunch, and it's a boat ride away from the MK, but even there, how many people do it, I wonder?

Heh, I gots the answer. If you eat a sitdown meal at any restaurant at any resort, you get a pool pass. Or if you take a DVC tour at SSR, you get to use their pool. That takes care of a lot of the hopping right there. Make access restricted otherwise to those staying at the resort, and you've got a stew going.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Wow, I don't get that at all. Maybe because I get where sweetpee's coming from. There's a difference between "look at me following the rules, aren't I special?" and "look at them, taking something for free I paid extra money for!"

Here is what she said:
Add to the choice list:

Not on your life. I can read directions and follow rules. I will flail about making a scene pointing out the perpetrators every opportunity I get.

LOL!

To me, that comes across as proudly patting herself on the back for following the rules and wanting to make sure everyone knows it. Add to that the glee with which she will rat someone out for violating a rule, and it very easily looks to me like the Judy character I referenced.

Like I said, I can see it if she's going down to the pool and the place is so crowded that she can't get in, or that she can't enjoy it because she's packed in like a sardine with all these other guests, and she finds out that many of them aren't there legitimately. At that point, the violaters are imparing her ability to enjoy an amenity that she paid for and I would have no problem if she were to blow the whistle in that case. But I have a problem with the black and white "rules are rules" approach which fails to take into account different circumstances which can render the rules moot or unnecessary, but instead takes pleasure and pride in blowing the whistle on anyone who breaks the rules.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Here is what she said:

Quote:
Add to the choice list:

Not on your life. I can read directions and follow rules. I will flail about making a scene pointing out the perpetrators every opportunity I get.

LOL!

To me, that comes across as proudly patting herself on the back for following the rules and wanting to make sure everyone knows it. Add to that the glee with which she will rat someone out for violating a rule, and it very easily looks to me like the Judy character I referenced.

Look, I could be wrong. I am but a humble orangutan. But usually, when someone says they're going to do anything whilst "flail(ing) about," and then end it with "LOL" (which, if my nieces are telling me the truth, means "Laugh(ing) Out Loud"), I'm going to figure that person is not being 100% serious. And Judy was all business all the time. Honestly, how often do you brag about flailing about whilst doing ANYTHING? "Dude, I'm gonna hit the club, get my drink on, and then totally flail about the dance floor, arms akimbo, ululating like a banshee, the chicks'll be on me like mold on prison bread."

:shrug:

Upvote 0

eroyee

When we cant afford POR, which is our favorite resort, and have to stay at POP, we take the boat from DTD and eat at their food court. we dont, however, go to the pool or attempt to use it. I am getting my popcorn and sitting back and letting you guys go back and forth for the next few days arguing...........have fun.........

Upvote 0

JamieD

What if...

You hated visiting WDW is July or at Christmas time and vowed to never do it again. Instead, you scheduled your trip in February, so you didn't have to deal with the crowds and could virually walk-on Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest. But at the time of your trip, Disney decided that since it was a slower time, they'd let a bunch of school groups weasel their way into the parks and make every E-ticket at least a 30 minute wait? Well, 30 minutes isn't that bad...but you purposefully visited in February, so the waits would be non-existent. Thirty minutes isn't anywhere close to walk-on. How would you feel?

I realize it's not an exact analogy, but my point is that even if it's slower time, or there aren't many people at the pool, some people go specifically and pay for that slower pace and no crowds. Sometimes I go to WalMart at midnight. I try to hit Red Lobster before five. I'm making the effort to avoid the crowds. In fact, if the crowds were there, I wouldn't go at all. To say that pool-hopping is not a big deal when the crowds are lighter is kind of an overstatement. It may be more difficult to police or not cause as many complaints, but it still may affect some who paid a great deal to stay at a pricey place.

And, as far as the "rule" goes, it's so much easier to just make it a blanket regulation. Like anything else, one family does it and thinks that it's not a big deal...and it's probably not. The problem is that if 300 different sets of one family have the same idea, then it's an issue.

Upvote 0

fosse76

What if...

You hated visiting WDW is July or at Christmas time and vowed to never do it again. Instead, you scheduled your trip in February, so you didn't have to deal with the crowds and could virually walk-on Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest. But at the time of your trip, Disney decided that since it was a slower time, they'd let a bunch of school groups weasel their way into the parks and make every E-ticket at least a 30 minute wait? Well, 30 minutes isn't that bad...but you purposefully visited in February, so the waits would be non-existent. Thirty minutes isn't anywhere close to walk-on. How would you feel?

I realize it's not an exact analogy, but my point is that even if it's slower time, or there aren't many people at the pool, some people go specifically and pay for that slower pace and no crowds. Sometimes I go to WalMart at midnight. I try to hit Red Lobster before five. I'm making the effort to avoid the crowds. In fact, if the crowds were there, I wouldn't go at all. To say that pool-hopping is not a big deal when the crowds are lighter is kind of an overstatement. It may be more difficult to police or not cause as many complaints, but it still may affect some who paid a great deal to stay at a pricey place.

It's a false analogy. No matter what time of year you go, you are not entitled to crowdless parks. You aren't paying more for tickets that guarantees less crowds (well, price increases notwithstanding). Likewise, even guests at the deluxe resorts aren't guaranteed crowdless pools simply because they pay higher rates than someone at a value resort. No matter what time of year it is.

And, as far as the "rule" goes, it's so much easier to just make it a blanket regulation. Like anything else, one family does it and thinks that it's not a big deal...and it's probably not. The problem is that if 300 different sets of one family have the same idea, then it's an issue.

But I think that's what many have already said. Most people at the resorts don't pool hop or could care less. No matter where you are staying, all the money goes to Disney. So I agree that the pool of a particular resort should be available first and foremost to the guests at that resort. But unless it's crowded, it shouldn't be an issue for guests of other Disney-owned resorts to visit the pool of another resort. The pools are "nicer" at the deluxes BECAUSE the guests are paying more...but it's not WHY they are paying more.

I agree that they should keep the blanket rule...but unofficially allow pool-hopping so long as it doesn't affect the enjoyment of that particular resort's guests. Perhaps an easy way to do it without having to check everyone's ID who's already there is that once the crowds increase then they simply just start checking resort IDs for people just arriving.

Upvote 0

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I can see the active enforcement of pool hopping during active times, DW and I hardly every use the pools - because we can use a pool anytime but disney is special so why waste time at the pool!

If you REALLY want to pool hop - Join DVC as pool hopping is allowed for DVC members at DVC resorts

Upvote 0

balletgirl2

When I stayed at the Poly last year the CM at the front desk told me I could use the gym and pool at the GF and showed me where the path was on a map. This year I stayed at the GF and went to the Poly. The GF CM told me it was no problem. I could see wishes from my room balcony at GF, but I prefer watching them while I swim. So I went to the Poly. The only time I have ever been asked to show my room key was when I stayed at the Beach Club. Even to walk by SAB you had to show your key.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Look, I could be wrong. I am but a humble orangutan. But usually, when someone says they're going to do anything whilst "flail(ing) about," and then end it with "LOL" (which, if my nieces are telling me the truth, means "Laugh(ing) Out Loud"), I'm going to figure that person is not being 100% serious. And Judy was all business all the time. Honestly, how often do you brag about flailing about whilst doing ANYTHING? "Dude, I'm gonna hit the club, get my drink on, and then totally flail about the dance floor, arms akimbo, ululating like a banshee, the chicks'll be on me like mold on prison bread."

Point well taken although, on the other hand, you would surely agree that even when we jest, there is often alot of sincere thoughts expressed under the veil of joking.

And on an unrelated note, I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one under 60 who is familiar with such classics as "Leave it to Beaver". I grew up watching alot of those re-runs and I tend to refer to TV references alot when trying to illustrate a point. Problem is, I suspect alot of the people I'm talking to aren't familiar with the show that I'm referencing and thus the analogy is meaningless. :lol:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My husband and I are planning a return trip to WDW after our honeymoon 3 years ago. On our honeymoon we stayed at a moderate resort but are not in the same position to put out the extra funds this time. We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing environment of the POR resort last time and would like to visit it and reminice.
Does anyone know if it is possible to stay at a value resort, but relax by the pool of another nicer resort?
When we were thinking about it we thought that it might just be as easy as getting on a bus back to another resort and then staying by the pool with their towels and maybe even eating at their resturant. Anyone tried it?

- Katie

This is discussed a lot on the boards...but no, you can not pool hop. You can go to the restaurants at different resorts...you can visit the resorts, but you can't bring your stuff and lounge at the pool. I'm sure the "pool hopping folks" will flame me for this ... but here's my personal opinion...if you want the moderate resort pool or the deluxe pool, then you have to pay for it. It's not fair for those who pay for these resorts and then are full b/c other people who didn't pay for it, are there using the pools. I understand your post and reason for asking is to reminice, and I hope you have a wonderful vacation with your husband. But its not fair to those who pay for the moderate or deluxe resorts for others to use the pool and facilities. Again, I hope you and your husband have a great trip!! :wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one under 60 who is familiar with such classics as "Leave it to Beaver". I grew up watching alot of those re-runs and I tend to refer to TV references alot when trying to illustrate a point. Problem is, I suspect alot of the people I'm talking to aren't familiar with the show that I'm referencing and thus the analogy is meaningless. :lol:

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I often make the argument that the phrase "pop culture" is becoming irrelevant, because there is so much DISPOSABLE culture (which isn't really disposable anymore, since everything can be preserved on tape or digitally) to choose from, we, as a nation, aren't all watching the same stuff, listening to the same music, reading the same books (books?), hearing the same news, etc. When we were kids, three networks, far fewer movies being released, radio having more diverse playlists, it was much easier for people to be on the same page, get the same references, stuff like that. The lowest-rated tv programs still often got higher ratings than many of the highest rated shows today. Today, an individual has all the new entertainment AND nearly all the recorded entertainment ever made at their disposable. You can buy a DVD of an old movie or a series that hasn't aired in 40 years? You want your kids to know who The Monkees were? You can buy or Netflix the DVDs, and download the music. Walt Disney Treasures DVDs prove Mickey used to be more than a marketing tool. Sirius/XM separates music by genre AND decade. You can make a pointed reference to "Heroes" or "Lost' and less than half who read it will know what the hell you're talking about.

IMHO, the only pop culture that's left, really, is gossip and scandal. You don't need to have ever seen an Angelina Jolie movie to know who she is, what she does, her love triangle with Brad Pitt & Jennifer Aniston, etc. You don't need to have ever seen a Lindsay Lohan movie, or hear a single Britney Spears song to know they're often messes.

Upvote 0

marcriss

The pools are "nicer" at the deluxes BECAUSE the guests are paying more...but it's not WHY they are paying more.

Perhaps an easy way to do it without having to check everyone's ID who's already there is that once the crowds increase then they simply just start checking resort IDs for people just arriving.

I think if you ask people why they stay at the YC/BC a lot of them will say the pool. So in essence they are paying more for the pool.

We go to the YC every December and for the last 4 years, even though we stay during the value season, they check IDs for everyone and you get a bracelet. If you don't start checking ID before the pool gets crowded, then resort guests who are entitled to use the pool still may not be able to get chairs because others are already using them. Of course you are never guaranteed an empty pool or even chairs, but it's a lot easier to take when you know that it's crowded with your fellow hotel guests who are paying for the use of the pool too. Just my opinion...

Upvote 0

Katieanndy

Original Poster
Yikes!

Um, yeah. I'm not a snob or stuck up or anything like that. If I've saved and busted my rump doing without all year to shell out well over $3K just for my hotel room only to not be able to use my resort's ammenities because it's packed with non-resort guests you better believe I'll have a big-biiiig issue with that. Not only do pool hoppers need to be concerned with random resort id checks by CMs or security, if I catch on to what you're doing (and I'm pretty observant) I'll rat you out in a heartbeat. I have no problem with that. Right is right and wrong is wrong. Rules are in place for a reason, not for us to select which are important enough to follow from day to day. Don't like the rules? Don't go. Wanna hang out by the Volcano Pool? Great! Get a room at the Poly. Oh! And then there's karma. Remember: dishonest deeds will come back to you in time. Why wish such upon yourself?:veryconfu

Sheesh! I didn't even know that pool hopping was against the rules. Only been once and never found out while I was there. This is the reason I asked the question.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Wow! We took the kiddos out of town for a couple days for a 'last blast' weekend before school starts tomorrow and I missed all the fun. Dangit! I knew my ears was a-burnin' for somethin' but considerin' we was at da beach, silly me thought it was from the sunshine. :lol:

Ever watch that old sitcom "Leave it to Beaver"? People like you remind me of that snooty little girl in Beaver's class. I think her name was Judy. She was the one who was always watching everyone else so that she could raise her hand and tell Miss Landers that someone was looking out the window when they were saying the pledge, or that someone else is whispering in class, or whatever. She was a snooty, self righteous little brown noser who always wanted to make sure that the teacher knew just what a good little rule follower whe was. Posts like yours above put me in the mind of people like that.

Rules are there for a reason, that's true. But when the reason behind a rule, in a particular case, is obviously not an issue, then the rules can be set aside. For example, when it's a dead period and there are only 10 people in the pool, then obviously, there is no real danger of hotel guests not being able to use the pool and therefore, the need to screen for poolhoppers becomes moot. It's in those busy times when a few extra people can make the difference to me not being able to get in, that it becomes imperative to make sure that everyone in that pool is entitled to be there, then by all means, escort them out if they don't belong there. But if there's hardly anyone in the pool, then it doesn't matter if there are a few pool hoppers there, because they aren't impeding anyone else from using the pool.

Rules have their place, but they must be applied with a little common sense. I don't believe in some rigid "Barney Fife" style application of rules, in which the rules themselves are regarded as ends unto themselves that must be followed no matter what. I believe that rules are a means unto an end, (in this case, ensuring that every resort guest who wants to use the pool can do so). But if the end is already being met, by the fact that there aren't that many guests in the pool, then there is no need to fret about rules against pool hopping. Let them use the pool, but in the unlikely event that 100 resort guests all drop in on the pool at once, then those people who aren't resort guests should be made to leave at that time.

Yep. Believe it or not, I have seen Leave it to Beaver. I love old shows like that and wish I could get my own kids to watch 'em. The Beav was such a cutie. And ya just don't hear names/nicknames like that anymore. Such a shame... tsktsktsk... I don't recall this character Judy that you describe which kinda disappoints me. I'm thinking maybe this is official confirmation that I'm gettin' old since I can't conjure her face from my brain. I hate that. I will, however, take your parody of me to her as a compliment. Considering the shows that are on tv today (and I don't watch because the quality is loooong gone IMO) I think there's far worse characters to be compared to. LOL! I have a sense of humor. I know I'm nothing like what you described and never have been. When I was little I was too afraid of everything including my own voice to ever speak up to tattle tale. Also, my older brothers taught me the wisdom in keeping my mouth shut (because getting my rear kicked for tattling was lesson enough). Mostly in those days I'd kill myself trying to compensate to keep the authority figures from finding out other kids messed up so they'd be on an even keel. Mad adults even when mad at people other than me totally stressed me out. That doesn't sound so Judy-ish. Then as a teenager...well...I think I switched ends of the spectrum. I made those 'After School Special' kids look like model citizens. I must have been determined to make every stupid move possible to make my life more difficult and my parents' a living h-e-double-hockey-sticks. Again, not so Judy-ish. As for me in the here-and-now..eh..I'm my worst critic. Calling attention to myself isn't something I'm comfortable with. I'd rather lay low and leave justice to karma. I've found that karma is far more creative than I could ever be. I just leave it at that. Hhhmmm...still not feeling so Judy-ish but I could be wrong. ***giggles***

As far as being snooty, that's totally not something that I have ever been or ever will be. Self-righteous, again, I've screwed up and carried myself down so many totally bass-ackards roads in life that even today it's a constant effort not to question every breath I take. I don't think a person can be that unless they hold themselves in extreme high regard which anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I'm generally hanging out in the polar opposite area of the spectrum there. Brown-noser, um, not me either. Without giving too much detail, I'm responsible for rules and regulations being written in many places on this earth because I have a way of dancing around what authority figures wanted me to do...always with a smile which made 'em all nuts. HeeHeeHee!

Yep, I believe that rules are there for a reason. After becoming an adult and working in law enforcement I finally understood this and learned how to function in life without seeking out the gray area. Do I think an empty pool should be kept off limits to guests not staying at that resort? No if there's no rule against it. Yes, if the rule states it should be. The problem with allowing guests to make judgement calls is that even tho 90% of the time it won't hurt anything there's still the 10% of the time that it would or could create a problem. Not all guests have good judgement. If a rule is made it should be adhered to and enforced with consequences. That's all there is to it. Gray area creates opportunity for problems. Sticking with the black and white everything remains clear, unchanging, and easily understood. Does that make sense? I'm not trying to be mean or pick on anyone. It's like that with any rule anywhere.

The analogy you used was interesting and I totally get what you are saying. But then it's not that far off from other touchy topics like using 5 year old refillable mugs at the resorts. CMs aren't dinging you on it constantly and I'm sure a couple Cokes ain't destroying Disney's profit margin. The fact that it's not killin' anybody doesn't make it right. I'm not trying to be mean. It's just the simple truth of the matter.

Another thought I had was about the example of adults picking and choosing which rules to abide by when they're important enough to follow isn't something I'm too keen on conveying to my kids. Granted, the OP was talking about her husband and herself without referencing any kids but here's an interesting thought. My boys are 11 & 13. Life is gonna get plenty difficult for me soon enough (believe me, if it's true that your kids pay you back for your teen years even by a fraction I'm in biiiiig trouble). It's really important to me to set the right example for them. When they see other adults breaking rules that they are aware of they look at me questioningly. I generally tell 'em not everyone has the right upbringing or maybe that person doesn't understand the rules or chalk it up to a random bonehead or something. The point is even though you and I know something is totally harmless and doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things, kids are watching and they're noticing. Smart little boogers are amongst us...I hope. Ya know?

As for if I'd reeeeaaaallly blow the whistle on somebody who I knew was pool hopping...it's unlikely that would ever happen. First and foremost, of all the trips I've made at an average of 9 days per trip we're talking around 72 days spent in WDW bliss. Of those 72 days I think I've swam in my resort pool maybe 3 or 4 times. We just don't go to WDW during the warmer months so we don't end up spending time by the pools. It'd be hard to blow the whistle on pool hoppers if I'm never actually there. Maybe this next trip just to mix things up I'll go down there super-early and flail about just for..uh..poo's-n-giggles. :lol:

Oooh..and as for my theory of letting karma take care of those menacing pool-hoppers out there...I have the perfect example of just such a case witnessed on my last trip with my brother at the Poly. I forget where we were at that we were coming back to the resort on the monorail. It was late in our trip and probably mid-afternoon. We were sitting in our seats relaxed minding our own business with 2 ladies and a little girl wearing big sunhats, swimsuits, cover-ups, and carrying a mesh beach bag with random beach towels & sunscreen sitting across from us. They were taking quietly amongst themselves. The skies outside were darkening but I didn't think too much of it. Anywhoo, the monorail comes to a stop and one of the ladies looks at my brother and asks, "Is this the Polynesian?" Wow. It was sorta obvious that wasn't her resort if she didn't know if that was it. Coulda been someone who had only been there a day so far but I just didn't get that vibe. So we're walking into the GCH and these ladies are out in front of us looking all around like they're trying to figure out where to go. My brother leans over and says, "I guess I know why the pool has been so packed this week that the girls didn't want to swim in it. It kinda makes me mad." I told him to go find a manager and describe the chicks and I'd meet him back at the room. He replied with, "Naw, they won't do anything anyway." We walked down the stairs and as we were headed out the back doors we see the ladies out in front of us again. Where'd the justice come in? The skies opened up with a big flash/bang of lightning and thunder. It scared the bejeezus outta me but you shoulda seen those ladies spin around on their heels and run back towards the door. I couldn't stop laughing. :lol: Before I fell asleep for my afternoon nap I said me a little prayer of thank you to the Man upstairs.

In closing, if I offended you or anyone else with my joke (hence the LOL at the end but maybe I shoulda used a laughy face or something) I apologize. That wasn't the intent. Heck, I was laughing when I typed it. What you said was a bit harsh but I've heard worse so I choose not to be offended. It's all good. :D

Sweetpea, you're a real sweety!

That's how I got the nickname. Thank you. :kiss:

Here is what she said:

Like I said, I can see it if she's going down to the pool and the place is so crowded that she can't get in, or that she can't enjoy it because she's packed in like a sardine with all these other guests, and she finds out that many of them aren't there legitimately. At that point, the violaters are imparing her ability to enjoy an amenity that she paid for and I would have no problem if she were to blow the whistle in that case. But I have a problem with the black and white "rules are rules" approach which fails to take into account different circumstances which can render the rules moot or unnecessary, but instead takes pleasure and pride in blowing the whistle on anyone who breaks the rules.

I think you were still missing the "LOL". Sorry. I'll do the laughy faces more or make a big, bold: Juuuuust kiddin'!

As previously stated, I'm no Judy but....ooohh....it makes me think of the Redneck Ninja on YouTube. If you haven't seen it go search "Redneck Ninja". You'll die laughing! "You got yer Ninjy chop....Yer Judy chop...." My kids show me the funniest stuff! :ROFLOL:

You caught the LOL! I love you! Yes! You got the sarcasm and giggle. I hate that we can't get more inflection into posts. I'd have done a great physical act with that much like your flailing fella on the dance floor. Ooooh...it'd have been a hoot! :lol:

Point well taken although, on the other hand, you would surely agree that even when we jest, there is often alot of sincere thoughts expressed under the veil of joking.

And on an unrelated note, I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one under 60 who is familiar with such classics as "Leave it to Beaver". I grew up watching alot of those re-runs and I tend to refer to TV references alot when trying to illustrate a point. Problem is, I suspect alot of the people I'm talking to aren't familiar with the show that I'm referencing and thus the analogy is meaningless. :lol:

Yep, I was joking and as stated above, it'd be mighty hard for me to actually do the flailing about making a scene since spending time by the resort pool isn't something we tend to do a whole lot of. It was truly a joke. Really. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that.

And does Leave it to Beaver come on anymore? I can only imagine what my boys would think. They roll their eyes and sigh whenever I bring old musical dvds home these days. I could ruin their liiiiives or show 'em what real tv is about with that show. It's a win-win for me, huh? LOL!

Sheesh! I didn't even know that pool hopping was against the rules. Only been once and never found out while I was there. This is the reason I asked the question.

Awwww...dangit. I'm sorry if I came off all harsh-n-stuff. I guess I did and I apologize. Hey. Big kuddos to you for asking the question. I'm a big subscriber to the statement "The only dumb question is the one not asked." Much like when I was little, I'm not real big on confrontation (unless it involves my kiddies) so if I came off all huffy or anything I'm sorry. I'm woman enough to admit that even IIIII screw up (see my life history above). Ya know, no matter what resort you choose...value, moderate, or otherwise...it's all Disney and you're there with your sweetheart. You'll have a fab time with lotsa wonderful memories to last a lifetime. Best wishes for good weather, small crowds, and buses that magically appear at each bus stop you approach! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

fosse76

I think if you ask people why they stay at the YC/BC a lot of them will say the pool. So in essence they are paying more for the pool.

That's not what I meant, and I think you know that. You're simply trying to be argumentative. Disney doesn't price the resorts based on how nice the pool is. If the Grand Floridian had a pool like any one of the pools at Pop Century, they would STILL be charging their current rates. There wouldn't be any decrease in price for the guest. It may be the (foolish, in my opinion) reason you stay at a deluxe resort, but it certainly isn't WHY Disney charges the rates they do.

We go to the YC every December and for the last 4 years, even though we stay during the value season, they check IDs for everyone and you get a bracelet. If you don't start checking ID before the pool gets crowded, then resort guests who are entitled to use the pool still may not be able to get chairs because others are already using them. Of course you are never guaranteed an empty pool or even chairs, but it's a lot easier to take when you know that it's crowded with your fellow hotel guests who are paying for the use of the pool too. Just my opinion...

If I were paying all that money to stay at Yacht Club, I would be more incensed about having to wear an wristband or face being harassed by a CM every half-hour rather than a family of 4 from the Pop Century using the pool. I would venture a guess that the only reason they have that policy is due to the amount of non-resort traffic through that and its neighboring resorts. Those resorts have a lot of shops, restaurants and other activities available to anyone, which makes that necessary.

Upvote 0

Testtrack321

That's not what I meant, and I think you know that. You're simply trying to be argumentative. Disney doesn't price the resorts based on how nice the pool is. If the Grand Floridian had a pool like any one of the pools at Pop Century, they would STILL be charging their current rates. There wouldn't be any decrease in price for the guest. It may be the (foolish, in my opinion) reason you stay at a deluxe resort, but it certainly isn't WHY Disney charges the rates they do.

Disney charges more for deluxe resorts based on amenities, which, includes the pool! WOW! The pool isn't the only factor, but damn, is it a major one.

Upvote 0

marcriss

If I were paying all that money to stay at Yacht Club, I would be more incensed about having to wear an wristband or face being harassed by a CM every half-hour rather than a family of 4 from the Pop Century using the pool. I would venture a guess that the only reason they have that policy is due to the amount of non-resort traffic through that and its neighboring resorts. Those resorts have a lot of shops, restaurants and other activities available to anyone, which makes that necessary.

I wasn't being argumentative, I was simply making a point. If you read any of the polls about "which resort to stay at and why" the YC/BC always rate high with the pool as one of the top reasons to stay there. People choose to stay there for the pool. Two minutes to get a bracelet on entry is a lot more desirable than not being able to get a seat or enjoy the pool because it's overcrowded with non-resort guests. And I think you'd find far fewer people forking over that amount of money if they had a generic pool or one less elaborate. Disney charges the rates they do for the entire experience.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom