Can it be done?

nibblesandbits

I just booked my flight for Disney...and realized that it could very well interfere with a table service ressie I've got booked already. So I wanted to get your opinions on if you think I can manage to keep it the way it is. (I don't really want to change it b/c it's the free dining promotion time and it is gonna be extremely difficult to change.) I know it's gonna be tight. I just want to see if it's feasable.

My flight arrives in Orlando at 2:40. If I don't get my bags myself (something I was toying with, since I like the control over my bags) and go straight to the ME counter and have them pick them up, I assume I'll arrive to my hotel by 4:00 or so. (Give or take a few minutes.) I'll get checked in and then go straight to the busses to get to MK. Go to MK and then take the boat to Wilderness Lodge. Then arrive there in time for our 5:00 ressie at Whispering Canyon. It's tight...but is it possible?

cb3k

It is definitely possible, I would go as far as calling it probable. Actually, where is your hotel located? It may be much faster to drive to the WL, or take a cab as opposed to boating from MK.

Upvote 0

disneydudette

Hmm... you'll be cutting it close... but I don't think you should have an issue. Worst case, you show up a couple minutes late, but should still be able to get seated. For a Chelf Mickey ADR we showed up almost 30mins late, but was still seated. Kind of forgot how hard it was to get 3 people and a toddler up and ready :dazzle:

Have you tried calling and seeing if there is a slightly later reservation available? It might help "ease your mind" if your able to get a later time. If a time is available, just switch, no issues with that. I do know what you mean about Free Dinning and ADRs, but again, no harm in calling and switching if possible.

I would let ME handle all your bags, and just try and make it to your resort. If you cutting it close on time, consider taking a taxi directly to the WL. If you'd prefer not to take a taxi, take the quickest bus at your stop and then transfer to a WL bus/boat. The boat ride can be long though and not exactly a timely form of transportation.

I know for our trip in January we landed at MCO, rode ME, checked in and in room in under 90mins. Not bad at all, and that included a slight wait for the ME Pop bus (but luckily it was the first stop).

Upvote 0
I just booked my flight for Disney...and realized that it could very well interfere with a table service ressie I've got booked already. So I wanted to get your opinions on if you think I can manage to keep it the way it is. (I don't really want to change it b/c it's the free dining promotion time and it is gonna be extremely difficult to change.) I know it's gonna be tight. I just want to see if it's feasable.

My flight arrives in Orlando at 2:40. If I don't get my bags myself (something I was toying with, since I like the control over my bags) and go straight to the ME counter and have them pick them up, I assume I'll arrive to my hotel by 4:00 or so. (Give or take a few minutes.) I'll get checked in and then go straight to the busses to get to MK. Go to MK and then take the boat to Wilderness Lodge. Then arrive there in time for our 5:00 ressie at Whispering Canyon. It's tight...but is it possible?

I would say yes, but I don't know what the traffic is like in Orlando, or around WDW (I live in LA...you cant get anywhere fast!) Kinda depends on traffic and the day...Sat is a very busy day for ME(not me, Magical Express!) I really hope it works out for you!

Upvote 0

OneLuckyMom

If most things go your way - no long lines at ME, an ME bus that leaves pretty soon after you get there (I've sat waiting 30 minutes for the bus to leave), no long lines at resort check-in (I've waited 20-30 minutes with only a few folks in front of me), a MK bus comes quickly at the resort - you can make it. But it only takes one or two small delays and the plan could crumble.

I wouldn't do it - but that's me. I like to get into my slower "vacation mode" as soon as I hit the hotel. I don't want to be stressing and rushing to get to dinner that first night! But I'm not exactly a live-on-the-edge sort of person :lol:

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
It is definitely possible, I would go as far as calling it probable. Actually, where is your hotel located? It may be much faster to drive to the WL, or take a cab as opposed to boating from MK.
I'm staying at Pop. Sorry...forget to mention that. :lol:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I'd recommend that you just grab a cab after check-in. ME is good, but you might have to wait a while to leave the airport until there are enough people on your bus, and Pop might not be their first stop, and sometimes we've had to wait quite a while for check-in. Just plan to take a taxi - it shouldn't be too much - and then you won't be worried about getting there on time.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

I would just do it. Call first and see if you can get a later reservation, if not...just do it. I think someone said before that they showed up 30 min late and still got sat..same thing with me, I was 45 min late once because I totally screwed up on the time and got it mixed up with another reservation...they took me, no problem.

Maybe see ya there..I am at POP Sept 21-26th

Upvote 0

Microcell

I read somewhere that the busses take 25 minutes from Pop to MK, which is why I stay at the all stars (gotta have that extra 5 minutes in the parks doncha know). So Ahhhhhh I think maybe the cab is the way to go. I would play the cab thing by ear, though, because you could roll in to Pop at 330 if you are really lucky!

I seem to recall my flight came in at 11:00 and we were eating at the cafeteria by 1PM on our trip with ME.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Since I never used Disney Magic Express, someone else might be in a better position to answer this question...

Based on this situation, is there anything that says, instead of taking DME to Pop first, get checked in and then do the bus to MK/boat or bus to WL thing, you just take DME to Wilderness Lodge? After all, you're letting DME handle your bags, and you're not going into the MK or any other park before going to WL. You may even be able to call the front desk at Pop, explain your situation, and they'll still hold your bags and just check you in after you eat. Anyone ever try anything like this? Is it strictly verboten?

If it's not possible, then I would recommend calling up WDW-DINE and just ask for the last possible seating that night. Even with the free dining promotion, lots of people don't like to eat too late, and you might get lucky being amongst the last seated. Not only will this free you up from a mad dash, it'll also give you some "wiggle room" in the event of a fligth delay, just missing the next DME bus, and any of the other little delays that'll create more pressure your first day on vacation than anyone should have on any day of a vacation.

Worst case scenario, also book yourself a Signature Dining Experience one night. If you miss your ADRs at Whispering Canyon, just eat at the Pop food court that night (or room service) and you'll have an extra meal credit to be used towards the Signature meal.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

That 25 minute quote for buses from Pop to MK assumes an average waiting time at the bus stop for a bus to arrive, about 10 minutes (buses run about every 20 minutes, meaning your waiting time can range from 0-20 minutes, with the average being 10 minutes). The on-the-road time is no more than 15 minutes, so there's the 25 minute average figure. That being said, if you just miss the MK bus, it could take 35 minutes (20 minute wait, 15 minute ride). And then there's the 2 minute walk to the launch area, maybe a 10 minute wait there, and then a 10 minute ride to WL, then 3 minutes to the restaurant. Call it 1 hour from Pop to WL.

If you arrive at Pop via DME at 4:00 p.m., and it can take you 1 hour to get to the restaurant, then that would put you at the restaurant at 5:00 p.m., right? WRONG, sorry. You still have to check-in at Pop. You can't skip check-in because you'll need your room key for the DDP credits. I've never had a WDW resort check-in experience last less than 10 minutes. With even a small line it can easily take 20-30 minutes, and remember that you're talking about arriving at the resort at prime time, about one hour after check-in time.

So you could conceivably get to the restaurant at 5:30 p.m., and this is all assuming that your flight is on time!!!:hammer:

At very least, plan on taking a taxi from Pop to WL. That will save you a bunch of time. If you get to Pop at 4 and it takes you a half-hour to check-in, you'll be able to get directly into a taxi and you should chug in to WL by 4:45 p.m., 4:50 p.m. tops if there's traffic.

Plan on the taxi, maybe $15 or so + tip. Money well spent.

ENJOY!

Anyway, plan on the taxi.

Upvote 0

Microcell

I think they won't do that what magoo was suggesting... if I recall correctly (ohh sorry about the Iron Chef flashback there) they have you go into slots based on your DME paperwork for which resort you are staying at. It might cause heads to explode and a worse backup "clearing it" than you want to deal with.

Call to see though, it can't hurt!

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

Since I never used Disney Magic Express, someone else might be in a better position to answer this question...

Based on this situation, is there anything that says, instead of taking DME to Pop first, get checked in and then do the bus to MK/boat or bus to WL thing, you just take DME to Wilderness Lodge? After all, you're letting DME handle your bags, and you're not going into the MK or any other park before going to WL. You may even be able to call the front desk at Pop, explain your situation, and they'll still hold your bags and just check you in after you eat. Anyone ever try anything like this? Is it strictly verboten?
Neat idea, but I like your terminology ... it's strictly verboten. They are very strict on the rule that you can only take DME to/from the resort where you are registered as a guest ... no exceptions.

The other problem, even if that were allowed, would be that the OP is on the DDP, and unless she wants to pay for the dinner out-of-pocket, she needs to check-in first to get her room key and thus get her DDP credits.

Another great idea shot down by reality ....:)

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

I think they won't do that what magoo was suggesting... if I recall correctly (ohh sorry about the Iron Chef flashback there) they have you go into slots based on your DME paperwork for which resort you are staying at. It might cause heads to explode and a worse backup "clearing it" than you want to deal with.

Call to see though, it can't hurt!
Like I said above (we were probably typing at the same time:) ), if you haven't yet checked in at your resort you won't have access to your DDP credits. So even if she didn't take DME and took a taxi to WL straight from the airport, she'd have to pay for the meal out-of-pocket.:slurp:

Upvote 0

imamouse

I've had 3 very speedy trips between MCO and PC using DME - each around 30 min from the time I exited the DME check-in queue until I stepped off the bus at PC.

I've been using DME since the very first day it was offered and in my opinion, the service has vastly improved. Disney has made several enhancements over the years to speed up the process considerably.

I think you'll be fine with your ressie, assuming your flight arrives on time.

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

Like I said...just do it! Whats the absolute WORST that can happen? No one is going to kill you if you are late.

Try and see if you can get a later ressie first...if not, just do it.
:O)

Upvote 0

IRBIWDW

Hopefully, there are no delays on your flight. We went in June, and even though the weather was nice, our flight was delayed 45 minutes. :wave:

Upvote 0

nibblesandbits

Original Poster
well, I tried to push the ressie back...and it was a no go. The next available ressie is at 9 something that night. That's so not gonna work b/c we're going to the Halloween party later that night. :)sohappy: , but :( for the ressies)

I think I'm gonna do what Heatherbell suggested (as did some of you others) and just play it by ear. Still go and if I show up late-ish then I show up lateish and hopefully they will be able to seat me.

I will also keep trying to call Disney periodically, especially closer to the date to see if anybody has cancelled their reservations. That's the most I can hope for. If not, let's just hope luck is on my side! :lol:

Thank you all for your great suggestions! :wave:

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Yes, assuming that your flight is not delayed.
Don't worry about the luggage - DME works great!
That way you can go directly to the resort & then directly to the WL for your dinner.
You may want to call WDW to see if they have a later ADR available - it's worth a try!
:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom