Can Anyone believe this?!

jozzmenia

speck76 said:
Yeah, it can happy quickly and easily......but does that make it acceptable? Should that be an acceptable excuse for a parent? Should that make the park or others responsible for helping you locate the child?

NO! Like I said, no one is saying the parents aren't responsible, at least I didn't say that. I was more or less saying people are only human and make mistakes. So it's NICE, expecially in Disneyworld, to have some reasonable expectation that staff members will help u out if it happens. Especially in a place like that, I would think it is a fairly common occurence and i'm quite sure they have a lost child policy for that very reason. i know cedar point has one. Its comparable to the drowning scenario. i mean, first episode of desperate housewives, they were at a wake, the mother was in the house and her 3 boys snuck and jumped in the pool. sure they're her responsibility, but i would like to think that if one of them started drowning one of the dozens of people standing around would have done something other than stand there and watch them drown saying "they're not my kids".

And again, if Cecil didn't want responsibility in the scenario in question, he should not have grabbed the child.

speck76

jozzmenia said:
NO! Like I said, no one is saying the parents aren't responsible, at least I didn't say that. I was more or less saying people are only human and make mistakes. So it's NICE, expecially in Disneyworld, to have some reasonable expectation that staff members will help u out if it happens. Especially in a place like that, I would think it is a fairly common occurence and i'm quite sure they have a lost child policy for that very reason. i know cedar point has one. Its comparable to the drowning scenario. i mean, first episode of desperate housewives, they were at a wake, the mother was in the house and her 3 boys snuck and jumped in the pool. sure they're her responsibility, but i would like to think that if one of them started drowning one of the dozens of people standing around would have done something other than stand there and watch them drown saying "they're not my kids".

And again, if Cecil didn't want responsibility in the scenario in question, he should not have grabbed the child.

Employees are people too, and as you stated, people make mistakes.

I guess in this case the employee is being held to a higher standard than the parent is.

speck76

jozzmenia said:
how do u figure?

You stated that the parents are responsible, but parents are people, and people make mistakes.

Cecil is a person, perhaps he made a mistake by trying to do his hired task, and not help the child.

It seems to be acceptable for the parents, the responsible party, to make a mistake, but not Cecil, the $6.80/hr photographer.

They are all people, and, as you said, people make mistakes.

jozzmenia

objr said:
Who is worse, the parent who lost the child, or the employee who grabbed the kid, and gave the child to the stranger to take to Guest Relations?

;)

depends on how u define "worse", BUT, I really don't know enough about the circumstances to decide.

i mean, the parent could have been 10 feet away, like in my example, and Cecil could have taken the child further from the parent. Or, the parent could have closed his eyes to sneeze, or the parent could have went to the bathroom and asked a sibling to watch the child, etc. we can only speculate, which is why most of the comments are in response to what little facts we DO know, and those only involve Cecil.

Aurora_25

brich said:
:D I also have 2. Which I don't even trust alone with anyone, aside from my wife. I'm of the extreme, over-protective, fully responsible, stop whistling cuz you might annoy someone, ssshhhh, sit still kind of parenting. In fact, we are all surgically attached at the hands... :lol:

I am the same way with my kids- my 6 year old is "afraid" to wander away from me and I am going to teach my 1 year old that same thing :D My DH sometimes calls me paraniod- but it only takes a second of you turning your back to lose your child and never see them again- I refuse to have that happen with my kids so I teach them not to wander off- even if it is just 5 feet away from me....

Shaman

jozzmenia said:
depends on how u define "worse", BUT, I really don't know enough about the circumstances to decide.

i mean, the parent could have been 10 feet away, like in my example, and Cecil could have taken the child further from the parent. Or, the parent could have closed his eyes to sneeze, or the parent could have went to the bathroom and asked a sibling to watch the child, etc. we can only speculate, which is why most of the comments are in response to what little facts we DO know, and those only involve Cecil.

But see thats part of the problem with this whole thread...none of us (except the person that started this thread) were there to see what really happened...so we really don't know what happened...if something even happened (sorry, I mean no offense to the person who started this thread)....

Mgkcjohnson

Speck is trying to push people's buttons here and it is working. With this whole scenario, there were a lot of mistakes made by everyone involved. The bone of contention is whether or not Cecil did the right or wrong thing.... I personally think he did. Speck obviously thinks he did not. This whole notion about who is responsible is beside the point. In this case or any other case, there is a poor scared little lost child. IMO, everyone should be feel some responsibility and want to help the child reunite with his/her parents. Maybe I have more compassion than certain other people on this forum. After reading many of the responses on here , it makes me realize why we live in such a unique country.... if I see someone who needs help, whatever it may be, I feel like it is my responsibilty to do what I can to help. No matter the reason the person needs help, no matter how stupid they may be to have put themselves in that position, the bottom line is someone needs help. At on point or another, all of us will need someone's help. One day Speck will need a stranger's help. or possibly a kodak employee's help. I hope that the first person to encounter speck has different values than him and feels it is their responsibility to help him.

wannab@dis

speck76 said:
It seems to be acceptable for the parents, the responsible party, to make a mistake, but not Cecil, the $6.80/hr photographer.

They are all people, and, as you said, people make mistakes.

Exactly! Everyone is upset with Cecil, but not the parents. Kinda goes back to holding tobacco companies responsible for someone buying and smoking then getting cancer or gun makers responsible for a gang killing. It's the wrong mentality!

wannab@dis

Mgkcjohnson said:
One day Speck will need a stranger's help. or possibly a kodak employee's help. I hope that the first person to encounter speck has different values than him and feels it is their responsibility to help him.

wow, you're so wrong with that statement. Speck never said he wouldn't help a child (or anyone else). He's just pointing out that people shouldn't assume others are responsible for their own kids.

Gucci65

THREAD DRIFT - if anyone read my 12/04 trip report you will remember that my Dad broke a tooth from eating a rock-hard peanut on our Delta flight. After a long drawn out legal battle, my Dad was awarded 2.2 million from the airline for pain and suffering. In addition, he was awarded another 1 million from the limo co for not stopping for your 30 minute grocery stop (wasn't OUR fault the plane was late!) Just kidding.

Too funny to see that the whole point of the first post was that he CM was not consoling an upset child. It was NEVER whose fault it was he got last, BUT it seems everyone forgot that after page 1. :hammer:

Thanks for the entertainment during lunch!!

Aurora_25

Mgkcjohnson said:
Maybe I have more compassion than certain other people on this forum. After reading many of the responses on here , it makes me realize why we live in such a unique country.... if I see someone who needs help, whatever it may be, I feel like it is my responsibilty to do what I can to help. No matter the reason the person needs help, no matter how stupid they may be to have put themselves in that position, the bottom line is someone needs help. At on point or another, all of us will need someone's help. One day Speck will need a stranger's help. or possibly a kodak employee's help. I hope that the first person to encounter speck has different values than him and feels it is their responsibility to help him.

Ok- to play Devils advocate with you- So by what you just said then you help every homeless person that you see?? Right? Man, how do you do it? I see at least 4 homeless people on my way to work everyday and although I want to help them, I really can't. But from what you said- you help everyone anytime- where do you find time to do anything else???

As for Speck- he did say that he would help- he is just doing what I just did with you- showing you another side of the "thought process" Yes, the CM probably could have done a better job, but so could the parents- no, we don't know enough of the story to really know what was going on. Maybe the child has a fear of adult males?? I mean you never know why the CM was holding him by the shirt and not seeming to help....there are alot of factors missing...

speck76

wannab@dis said:
wow, you're so wrong with that statement. Speck never said he wouldn't help a child (or anyone else). He's just pointing out that people shouldn't assume others are responsible for their own kids.

At least you get it.....I am not sure why others can not.

People should (and do) have a choice of helping others, and hopefully, most people would choose to be of assistance.....but it is a choice.

It should not be acceptable that some parents can be "bad parents", and others will be responsible for picking up their slack. If others choose to, that is one thing......it should not be an assumed responsibility.

Shaman

speck76 said:
At least you get it.....I am not sure why others can not.

People should (and do) have a choice of helping others, and hopefully, most people would choose to be of assistance.....but it is a choice.

It should not be acceptable that some parents can be "bad parents", and others will be responsible for picking up their slack. If others choose to, that is one thing......it should not be an assumed responsibility.

Agreed. :D :wave:

speck76

Mgkcjohnson said:
Speck is trying to push people's buttons here and it is working. With this whole scenario, there were a lot of mistakes made by everyone involved.

But almost nobody (but me) seems to want to hold the parents responsible.....everyone is focusing on the result of the situation (a CM getting involved and making a mistake ) but almost nobody is pointing the finger at the parent, who are potentially the cause of the lost child. Perhaps the parents had a lapse in judgement, or made as mistake (and that seems to be ok) but perhaps Cecil did the same (and that does not seem to be ok)

Mgkcjohnson said:
The bone of contention is whether or not Cecil did the right or wrong thing.... I personally think he did. Speck obviously thinks he did not.

I never said that.....He may have not done the right thing, but why was he put in that position (to make a bad decision or mistake) in the first place?

Mgkcjohnson said:
One day Speck will need a stranger's help. or possibly a kodak employee's help. I hope that the first person to encounter speck has different values than him and feels it is their responsibility to help him.

That is kind of harsh. I hope they don't feel it is their responsibility, but I hope they make the choice to help me, as long as doing so does not risk their own life. I don't need or want someone to risk their own life for that of mine, that could be VERY tragic. I really don't need a hero.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom