Can Anyone believe this?!

MEBSTinkerbell

2 year olds do enjoy the theme parks

Not all 2 year olds are afraid of characters and the rides. I have an almost 22 month old who LOVES to go the parks. He gets excited when he sees Spaceship Earth and the Castle. If you show him a picture of them he will point out which one is which. He likes the characters 95% of the time. He knows many of their names and can say their names. (Pluto, Mickey, Stich and Tinkerbell to name a few) He will walk right up to them for pictures. He has been on all the rides that do not have a height restriction. He has only cried one on a ride and that was when he was 3 months old on Peter Pan. He loves Philhar Magic and does not cry. The last time we went to the parks my son went from 07:30 am until after 10pm Wishes without a nap because he was afraid he would miss something. The next day he told my parents about visiting the butterfly garden at EPCOT so they do remember.
The Cast Member who found the child (although he may have been a 3rd party vendor) should have found another CM to assit the lost child. But that does not mean that occassioally an excited child will wonder a way from his/her parents during the day or the child will stop to look at something and the parents do not realize the child is not with them....these things happen all the time. I see a lost child with a cast member or in the baby care center (many times they send the child there) maybe once a year or so. It does happen sometimes and Disney does their best to get the child to a safe place so they can find the childs parents to reunite with the child.

mebstinkerbell
http://thedisneylovingbabcocks.blogspot.com/

pics of almost 22 month old loving the Parks 2 weeks ago

speck76

CaliSurfer182 said:
The point I was trying to make about my son is that he is two and he does remember Walt Disney World visits and attractions very well. So you are wrong on what a two year old can take and remember from a WDW experience.

Also just because somebody bothers you or "detracts" from your experience doesn't give you the right to say they don't belong there. A paying customer is a paying customer. I could equally say that everybody but my family detracts from my experience and my magic because they make me wait in line for food and rides. My time is wasted by slow moving and inexperienced travelers........so therefore the parks should just be for my family because I say so. That adheres to your logic.......and I am sorry it is incorrect......WDW isn't built or managed through your beiliefs it is open to all as it should be.

I believe it is Walt's words that he wanted a place where parents could have fun with their kids. He didn't leave an age requirement. He said kids which covers all people not of adult-age. But please break out a dictionary and give me a qualified collegiate response, so as not to be misinterpreted. Because a dictionary should be used to judge all of life.

I have one further question for you, just so I can see your direction. Since pregenant women can't ride some of the rides and they can be cumbersome to someone like you......should they not go to WDW or DL? How about handicapped people who can't experience every single ride or attraction should they just forget about it? Also if my spouse is breastfeeding my child and I want to go to WDW should I leave her at home and just take one child with me......since she or my infant might bother/offend you.......and therefore miss out on family-time. So exactly what type of park are you trying to turn WDW into, because your comments about two-year olds make me feel like it definetly isn't a family park in your opinion.

I consider my time off precious because I don't get much of it, and I choose to spend it with my whole family. I believe my whole family deserves to go to WDW at the same time, and if you don't agree then to bad for you.

I see you are a big fan of the slippery slope.

I can play that game to.

So what you are saying is that people should not have any respect for others in the park. If the kid cries during the entire American Adventure show, or is very disruptive....so be it, you paid for that kid to get in. If your cell phone rings in the middle of The Hall of Presidents, and you take the call and try to talk over the show, so be it, you paid to get in, and you have every right to be there.

Give me a break. Sure, everyone can go, but should they? Do you have such little respect for the other park visitors that you do not care if you ruin there experiance, just as long as "you get yours"?

BTW, Kids under 3 are free.....there is a reason for that, and it is not because WDC has a heart.

MouseMadness

Wow! :lol: I actually lost my OLDEST last year. :eek: So crazy... it was one of those things where we had several adults, and we all thought somebody else had her, and it was the end of the day, leaving the MK after Wishes... omg, it still makes me sick to my stomach. Thank GOD she knew to find a CM and stand with him, and he was very comforting and helpful.

But if Leah (3 years old) ever got away from me, I'd probably lose my mind completely. She'd have no clue what to do.

Which is why Leah NEVER gets away from me. ;) :lol:

CaliSurfer182

speck76 said:
So what you are saying is that people should not have any respect for others in the park. If the kid cries during the entire American Adventure show, or is very disruptive....so be it, you paid for that kid to get in. If your cell phone rings in the middle of The Hall of Presidents, and you take the call and try to talk over the show, so be it, you paid to get in, and you have every right to be there.

Give me a break. Sure, everyone can go, but should they? Do you have such little respect for the other park visitors that you do not care if you ruin there experiance, just as long as "you get yours"?

I never said mine was more important than others, I believe that was my point to you. I don't leave my cell phone on during attractions, or movies out of coutesy. CM's also tell you to shut these things off. A child however can cry unpredictably just as anyone else can. I agree that if it goes on and on and on then the parent should take the child away. But just because one little sound escapes here and there isn't a reason to segregate a kid from having a family experience.

Many teenage boys and girls act very immature and scream and yell and vocally respond to a lot of attractions, and that to me detracts from my experience. Also I am not big on people screaming in my ear, but yet many adults do this when they are having fun. You might not particularly like the two year old age bracket, but I can find many more types of people that are quite disturbing around the park like I previously stated. But I don't tell them where they should go, because it is not up to me to decide who is to have fun where, and how fun should be had.

speck76 said:
BTW, Kids under 3 are free.....there is a reason for that, and it is not because WDC has a heart.
Kids also fly on some airlines for free if they are under a certain age, should they be left at home? I also can name a few restaurants that offer kids meals for free with a paying adult........whose are those geared to?.....should the kids not eat? Should an adult eat both meals?

Also you say that this isn't out of the kindness of their hearts, but yet it is there in plain writing. They can charge if they want to, there is nothing saying they can't. They choose not to like you can choose not to go. Just because somebody doesn't pay for something doesn't mean they aren't entitled to what you paid for. Or else we would have to get rid of all the give-aways and deals. I mean if you won free tickets to enter WDW, to bad you didn't pay for it so you aren't entitled to the same good times as paying members.

SpongeScott

Fran98765 said:
Ok, that probably rules her out as being his wife, but she could be an off duty CM still. If I went there on my day off, I would certainly bring my family with me. Maybe they are friends and know each other. You really don't know the whole story. And again, if you thought this was so horrible, why didn't you step in and get a CM from GR yourself?
very, very valid points. If you go back and read the original thread, there are some strong generalizations that have been made by the original poster, possibly making this entire thread a moot point. Fran makes a great point that if SteveShady was so upset about this in the first place, then why didn't he take action? He says it wasn't his place. Then, this thread is pointless. If you weren't man enough to do something about it when it happened, why bring it up in such a vicious way on these boards? As to responsibility, I agree a lot of what Speck is saying, but I would hope that when push came to shove that he--or anyone else--would go the extra mile to help out a child in need.

Mgkcjohnson

Speck... you are entitled to your opinions. When you state them in a public forum, be prepared for backlash... if you have the right to state your own opinion, then someone else has the right to challenge it. I have to admit, I am appalled by most of what you say. I can picture you in a park.. seeing a crying lost child... you walk away mumbling something about how disrespectful to your peace and relaxation it is. Do you know you were once a little kid who undoubtedly cried in public at one time or another??? Do you know that at one time or another EVERY kid cries???? Sorry to ruin your day if that kid cries at Disney. Just so you know, my daughter went when she was a few months less than 2 years old and she remembers tons about it. Children are much much smarter than you can imagine. You have no children, so you should not make any comments about what people with children should or should not do. You seem very close minded and selfish. that is a shame. Maybe you should talk to Disney and let them know that days you will be visiting so they can not allow anyone under the age of 18 in the park. hat way no one will ruin your day....

SpongeScott

Mgkcjohnson said:
my daughter went when she was a few months less than 2 years old and she remembers tons about it. Children are much much smarter than you can imagine.
How old is your daughter now? When my kids were young, they too could remember things from when they were young, but as they have gotten older, the memories fade of what they can remember. Now, they're not sure if they remember something or if it's because we have it on video. Small children, in my opinion, will not retain things from when they were two years old. My kids are now 15 and 13.

wannab@dis

SpongeScott said:
very, very valid points. If you go back and read the original thread, there are some strong generalizations that have been made by the original poster, possibly making this entire thread a moot point. Fran makes a great point that if SteveShady was so upset about this in the first place, then why didn't he take action? He says it wasn't his place. Then, this thread is pointless. If you weren't man enough to do something about it when it happened, why bring it up in such a vicious way on these boards? As to responsibility, I agree a lot of what Speck is saying, but I would hope that when push came to shove that he--or anyone else--would go the extra mile to help out a child in need.

Well said Scott. The responsibility for kids first and foremost lies with the parents, but things do happen and then it's the responsibility of the property owner to ASSIST the parents or child.

Now, as to whether young kids should be at the parks or will enjoy the parks, I can only go by my experience. My little girl is 14 months old and she loves to walk around on her own. It's the start of independance and we have to be careful to watch her in crowded situations because she is capable of moving quickly. We went to Dollywood (small theme park) last weekend and she loved it. She would wave at all the people and try to reach for the flowers. She went right up to one of the characters (7 ft tall bear) and reached out for him. She loved riding the little kiddie rides (by herself) and wanted to go back on them again and again. So I know she enjoyed the day. We're hoping to take her to Disney this December for her first trip to see the mouse!

Mgkcjohnson

My daughter is now 4. I am sure she will not remember everything vividly when she is 15, but she comprehends that she was there and she loved it. She asks me all the time when we can go back. She talks about characters she met, rides she liked, the castle etc... I don't care if she forgets it all, I know she was happy while we were there. I'd never trade that for anything. The memories I have of seeing her enjoy herself, I'll never forget.

SpongeScott

Mgkcjohnson said:
My daughter is now 4. I am sure she will not remember everything vividly when she is 15, but she comprehends that she was there and she loved it. She asks me all the time when we can go back. She talks about characters she met, rides she liked, the castle etc... I don't care if she forgets it all, I know she was happy while we were there. I'd never trade that for anything. The memories I have of seeing her enjoy herself, I'll never forget.
And that in itself is worth it.

tazhughes

When I took torts in law school the professor warned us all that once you make an affirmative attempt to offer assistance then you are on the hook and she advised against ever offering assistance unless you had a legal duty. (Most GSL only apply to professionals)

One example that she gave was a drowning child, most peoples natural instinct is to help, however if you do and that child does drown you can be civilly liable.

So Speck I agree with you for the most part (and I am a parent of a 9 year old and 7 month old), but once he made an effort (if he did I have my doubts about this post) he was on the hook and unfortunately so was his employer. Legally speaking he should not have made the effort unless he was prepared to follwo the proper procedures.

Just my 2 cents

jozzmenia

Mgkcjohnson said:
Speck... you are entitled to your opinions. When you state them in a public forum, be prepared for backlash... if you have the right to state your own opinion, then someone else has the right to challenge it. I have to admit, I am appalled by most of what you say. I can picture you in a park.. seeing a crying lost child... you walk away mumbling something about how disrespectful to your peace and relaxation it is. Do you know you were once a little kid who undoubtedly cried in public at one time or another??? Do you know that at one time or another EVERY kid cries???? Sorry to ruin your day if that kid cries at Disney. Just so you know, my daughter went when she was a few months less than 2 years old and she remembers tons about it. Children are much much smarter than you can imagine. You have no children, so you should not make any comments about what people with children should or should not do. You seem very close minded and selfish. that is a shame. Maybe you should talk to Disney and let them know that days you will be visiting so they can not allow anyone under the age of 18 in the park. hat way no one will ruin your day....

Can I just intervene and ask every one to put on their mouse ears? Is this what Walt would have wanted? :) I've seen some borderline rude posts. Can everyone not only be civil, but try their darndest to be "nice". Thanks!

brich

tazhughes said:
When I took torts in law school the professor warned us all that once you make an affirmative attempt to offer assistance then you are on the hook and she advised against ever offering assistance unless you had a legal duty. (Most GSL only apply to professionals)

One example that she gave was a drowning child, most peoples natural instinct is to help, however if you do and that child does drown you can be civilly liable.

So Speck I agree with you for the most part (and I am a parent of a 9 year old and 7 month old), but once he made an effort (if he did I have my doubts about this post) he was on the hook and unfortunately so was his employer. Legally speaking he should not have made the effort unless he was prepared to follwo the proper procedures.

Just my 2 cents
Lucky for your children, I would be willing face criminal charges if I had the chance to save one of your children from drowning. Imagine this is where we are now. In this lawsuit happy world we live in, wouldn't it just be nice to know we got each others backs? This thread has really brought me down and some of the posts (not the one I'm responding to :D ) have been really disappointing. Speck76, you've taught me a lot in this thread. A lot about who you are... :(

speck76

Mgkcjohnson said:
Speck... you are entitled to your opinions. When you state them in a public forum, be prepared for backlash... if you have the right to state your own opinion, then someone else has the right to challenge it.

We both have opinions....I like yours as much as you like mine.

Mgkcjohnson said:
Just so you know, my daughter went when she was a few months less than 2 years old and she remembers tons about it. Children are much much smarter than you can imagine.

Children are smart, but, as Scott said, they will not retain the memories. The parks were designed for families....sure, but that does not mean that every person belongs on every attraction. No, not all kids are the same, but if your child (or any guest) can not make it through an attraction without being disruptive to other guests, they should not go on that attraction.

Mgkcjohnson said:
You have no children, so you should not make any comments about what people with children should or should not do.

Really......I have no children, so I don't have the right to have an opinion about parenting....is that what you are saying? I disagree.

Mgkcjohnson said:
You seem very close minded and selfish. that is a shame.

Well, I am not closed minded at all. And selfish....am I any more selfish for not wanting to be annoyed by a crying child in an attraction than you are for allowing it to happen since "all children cry"? At lease my selfishness does not impede on others ability to enjoy the attraction.

Mgkcjohnson

Speck, like I said, you can have opinions on what ever you want... but be prepared to have people challenge you. I guarantee if you had children, you would be singing a different tune. As much as I don't want my daughter to cry in public, and as much as I respect that other people don't want to hear a crying child... sometimes it happens and there is nothing the parent can do. As much as I hate to agree with you, I think alot of parents take children on attractions that they should probably not... and that can be frustrating, but I think your generalizations about all kids and the notion that people are bad parents if a child cries is what bothered me.. especially since you have no idea what it is like to raise a child.

speck76

Mgkcjohnson said:
Speck, like I said, you can have opinions on what ever you want... but be prepared to have people challenge you. I guarantee if you had children, you would be singing a different tune. As much as I don't want my daughter to cry in public, and as much as I respect that other people don't want to hear a crying child... sometimes it happens and there is nothing the parent can do. As much as I hate to agree with you, I think alot of parents take children on attractions that they should probably not... and that can be frustrating, but I think your generalizations about all kids and the notion that people are bad parents if a child cries is what bothered me.. especially since you have no idea what it is like to raise a child.

I never said that they were bad parents....

I am in the parks a lot....2-3 times each week.

I people watch a lot, and I see a lot of parents put pressures on their children that I do not agree with. I see parents keep their kids in the parks until midnight, the kids are crying, and the parents attitude is "I paid my $60, we need to get a fill days worth of Disney".

Is this right? Is this in the best interest of the child?

I have seen parents take small children on rides and attractions that they should not be on, the kid cries the entire ride, and is terrified. The parent's attitude is "I paid $60, I need to get on every attraction".

Is this right? Is this good for the child?

I was on UoE last month, and a set of parents had two small children in the row behind me....this kids were probably 2 and 3'ish. THE KIDS CRIED FOR 45 MINUTES BECAUSE THE RIDE SCARED THEM. The kids should have never been on that attraction. The parents did nothing to calm the children down. I saw the same parents outside after the ride, and they were allowing their daughter to walk through one of the Flower and Garden Festival gardens and step on all of the flowers.

Is this right? Nobody in the general area of this family had the ability to enjoy the attraction, but the parents did not seem to care. In addition, the parents let their kids ruin a garden....

I see a lot of selfish parents in the park. No, they are not the majority, but, they are a significant number. They do not seem to have the best interest of the child in mind during their visit.

This, I have a major problem with.

Not all kids are the same. Some parents actually have raised their kids right. Some parents know the limits of their kids, they do not keep them in the park for 16 hours (which is more than most adults can handle), they do not put a kid on ToT because they meet the height requirement (but they can not handle it emotionally).....

Not all parents are good parents.

Aurora_25

SpecK- I totally agree with you on that last post- as a parent myself (and an avid people watcher) I have seen that sort of behaviour many times in many different places and I agree with you that the parents are not focusing on what is in the "best intrest of the child" at all.

I am glad to see that you know that there are parents out there who are not like that- believe me- I have many times told my daughter she couldn't go on a ride at WDW that she really wanted to go on because I knew it would scare her. I know some parents feel that they need to get their "money's worth" out of Disney- but to me, the money isn't as important as my child's happiness.

Gucci65

speck76 said:
The parent should have watched the kid.....the kid should not have become lost....

Lost children should not be Disney's problem.....if you bring a kid to the park, pay attention to them.

I expected a better post from you :veryconfu

You came off sounding like the typical person who does not have kids. You can't possibly know anything about them unless you have them.

That said, all is takes is a split second. How do you know the woman didn't bend down to tie her shoe - let go of her kids hand for a second and bam he was gone. In a throng of people it would not be hard to happen.

Now behave and post intelligently like you normally do!! :wave:

PS - I posted this BEFORE reading the 8 pgs behind it - will catch up soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom