Can Anyone believe this?!

speck76

Deaclaw said:
Speck exhibits what is known as the Kitty Genovese syndrome and it is not a flattering portrayal of humanity...If you don't know the story, you can google it and find the answer....."

yeah.....not quite.

tigger248

My has this thread grown! I go off to a horribly long 13 hour day at work, and come home to a radically changed thread. :lol:

syddisney

You should have gotten the police mans name and sent a note to his dept. Protect and serve my butt. he only would have helped if the kid was speeding! But really, the whole thing was handled very poorly by the CM and police.

TwoTigersMom

Ok please don't flog me with a wet noodle for this one, but here goes anyway.... Leashes are GREAT! My 3 year old still walks on a leash and he loves it! He doesn't have to hold my hand, which I'm sure is very uncomfortable, and I don't have to live my life worrying where he is all the time. He drags me all over the place with his leash. I had bought one of those kid harness things and I nver used it. I felt like my little booger would open the velcro and poof be gone. Of some one else could easily open it as well. I use a 6 foot dog leash. It has a handle for me and I loop the end with the buckle and put it around his waist. Before anyone slams me, I have been stopped by a police officer before while walking with DS and he commended me on the idea and said he wished more people would be so cautious with their kids. Just my lil opinion :)

Mimi

To beat a dead horse:

I think we all agree that parents "should" be aware of their child's whereabouts at all times. But life isn't always the way we want it to be. Parents can make simple mistakes with horrific results and they can even be negligent or just plain mean. :eek: Yeah! Believe it or not.

As part of a society we are all in a way responsible for one another. I believe that natural law (simple right and wrong) applies here and that ANYONE who sees a lost child "should" do the right thing.
As for Disney, they are responsible for what happens on their property, particularly when employees are involved. When they hire (or sub-contract:rolleyes: ) employees to work in their parks those individuals (representing Disney) carry a much greater burden than you and I when it comes to the safety of others. If this were not true all companies dealing with the public would outsource and save themselves major legal fees.

daveemtdave

After reading how this post is going, I need to add one more thing. If the OP was so upset with the actions, did he stop at GR and let them know what happen? He states he told a police officer....why not GR on Disney Property.

I think if I was that concerned about something I saw, I would have stopped and made sure this child even made it there. What do parents have to do to retrive a lost child. Do they have to sign anything, show id, etc? If that is the case, then this incident could have been recorded and 'Cecil' could have been questioned.

CaliSurfer182

SpongeScott said:
How old is your daughter now? When my kids were young, they too could remember things from when they were young, but as they have gotten older, the memories fade of what they can remember. Now, they're not sure if they remember something or if it's because we have it on video. Small children, in my opinion, will not retain things from when they were two years old. My kids are now 15 and 13.

This is the first most recent post I have read so far so I figured that I would comment on it first. This statement seems kind of absurd (if I can say that without meaning a direct attack), I mean just because you can't systematically call back a memory from that far back doesn't have any bearing on its enjoyment value. I am twenty-five years old and I can't remember much of my school years except for maybe my senior year in high school. So should I have not gone to school? I mean come on I know there are a majority of people out there that can't remember everyday of every school year, so should they have not experienced it? I can't even remember the first time I went to DL before I took my wife should I have not gone?

Again just because someone doesn't have total absolute or even immediate recall of an event doesn't mean that it didn't impact that some one, or even stop it from impacting that some ones future.

CaliSurfer182

Laura22 said:
So with that said, it breaks my heart that the poor kid was just standing there crying hysterically and the photographer made no effort to comfort the child. So what if it wasn't his "job", it's human decency to help a baby who is in trouble.

Exactly that is what I believe, I am not commenting on legalities or the basis of repsosibilities, just on human decency. Which I believe this world woefully lacks, and it isn't getting better.

speck76

CaliSurfer182 said:
Exactly that is what I believe, I am not commenting on legalities or the basis of repsosibilities, just on human decency. Which I believe this world woefully lacks, and it isn't getting better.

human decency goes both ways....if your kid is drowning (god forbid) and I unsuccessfully attempt to save them, I should not have to worry about a civil lawsuit being filed against me.

tigsmom

HagansMommie said:
Ok please don't flog me with a wet noodle for this one, but here goes anyway.... Leashes are GREAT! My 3 year old still walks on a leash and he loves it! He doesn't have to hold my hand, which I'm sure is very uncomfortable, and I don't have to live my life worrying where he is all the time. He drags me all over the place with his leash. I had bought one of those kid harness things and I nver used it. I felt like my little booger would open the velcro and poof be gone. Of some one else could easily open it as well. I use a 6 foot dog leash. It has a handle for me and I loop the end with the buckle and put it around his waist. Before anyone slams me, I have been stopped by a police officer before while walking with DS and he commended me on the idea and said he wished more people would be so cautious with their kids. Just my lil opinion :)

I won't slam you. My mom used the harness/lead type setup in the 50s and 60s for my sister & I and we still survived. I used the wrist band with the coiled spring rope for my kids in the 80' & 90s as did my sister and many friends. The kids all survived.
You have to know your kids. Some will wander off (Princess #2) while others will stick close by (Lil'mermaid)... as you can see my kids are very different and they need to be treated differently.
Personally I really don't care what others would think, my job as a parent is to keep my kid safe. (which is what speck has been saying all along)

tigsmom

speck76 said:
human decency goes both ways....if your kid is drowning (god forbid) and I unsuccessfully attempt to save them, I should not have to worry about a civil lawsuit being filed against me.

And its a sad comment on today's world that you (or anyone) would have to worry about being sued for trying to help somebody in need.

speck76

tigsmom said:
And its a sad comment on today's world that you (or anyone) would have to worry about being sued for trying to help somebody in need.

it truely is.......but unfortunately, that is the case.

Of course, we all have the ability to help do something about this (but I do not see anyone rushing legislation to the floor)

bbll24

Wow, I would have killed my parents if they ever thought of putting me on a leash when I was little. I wouldn't want to be treated like a dog.

BriarDavid

This was a very bad move on the CM's part. First of all, the kid was hysterical, and !no wonder! the CM was basically dragging him to Guest Services. And then, some random person walks up and he just gives the kid to them? That's a kidnapping waiting to happen. Of course, this could've been just a good citizen trying to help out, but man, that's risky.

daveemtdave

bbll24 said:
Wow, I would have killed my parents if they ever thought of putting me on a leash when I was little. I wouldn't want to be treated like a dog.

Sorry, but parents have to do what PARENTS need to do to keep their child safe. That child is their responsibility. Children are brought to a park for their enjoyment and the parent; I am NOT responsible for that child. If I have agreed to watch the child, then I accept the responsiblity.

It does not even sound like this person accepted responsibility. Nowhere does it state he was heading back to GR, only he was holding the child by his shirt -

I still say there are MANY facts missing and to honest I will not judge this worker, or anyone involved BECAUSE NO ONE HERE knows the TRUE FACTS.

Not even the OP.

barnum42

tigsmom said:
I have just re-qualified as a first aider, and part of the course emphasises that you are at risk of being sued when you render first aid if you step one inch beyond the instructions they have given you.

Law suits have been made against first aiders, but so far all have been thrown out of court.

A friend of mine is a nurse and she says doctors and nurses are reticent to help at a first aid scene because they are then wide open to law suits beings as they are professionals.

I'm sure there are honest lawyers in the world, it's just a shame we can't outlaw the greedy scumbag lawyers that have thrown out common sense in order to line their own pockets.

barnum42

bbll24 said:
Down boy! How many times have you been told to stay off the furniture!

;) :lol:

pinkrose

bbll24 said:
We put a dog on a leash to keep them from running off and getting away from us. In other words, to keep them safe. That's the same reason parents use them. It's not that parents don't want to watch their kids (MOST parents anyway), it's because kids are fast. All you have to do is turn your head for one second and they are gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom