Can Anyone believe this?!

CaliSurfer182

speck76 said:
human decency goes both ways....if your kid is drowning (god forbid) and I unsuccessfully attempt to save them, I should not have to worry about a civil lawsuit being filed against me.

I understand your comment, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I believe that is a huge problem with our society, and I have felt this way since I was in Middle School.

I had to qualify for first aid due to my job, and I also was given the speech about lawsuit liabilities. But personally I don't agree with them, if I can help then I will. If some one feels that they need to sue me after I render help then it is on their conscious. To me it is more important to help somebody in an immediate life or death situation with the possibility of a lawsuit, then to let a human life expire.

Now I am not trying to run around on a high horse saying I would help every one in every situation, because I wouldn't. I mean I don't run around handing out money to all the homeless or I don't go chasing down criminals, but if it came to a lost child or a CPR/first aid situation I would try my best to help out.

That is why I never attempted to address the situation through legalities, but only from what I would like to believe the people in this world would do.

speck76

CaliSurfer182 said:
I understand your comment, and I agree with you whole-heartedly. I believe that is a huge problem with our society, and I have felt this way since I was in Middle School.

I had to qualify for first aid due to my job, and I also was given the speech about lawsuit liabilities. But personally I don't agree with them, if I can help then I will. If some one feels that they need to sue me after I render help then it is on their conscious. To me it is more important to help somebody in an immediate life or death situation with the possibility of a lawsuit, then to let a human life expire.

Now I am not trying to run around on a high horse saying I would help every one in every situation, because I wouldn't. I mean I don't run around handing out money to all the homeless or I don't go chasing down criminals, but if it came to a lost child or a CPR/first aid situation I would try my best to help out.

That is why I never attempted to address the situation through legalities, but only from what I would like to believe the people in this world would do.

It is all about blame.

BLAME

The population seems so defient to take advice from anyone.....I hear a lot things like "Don't tell me how to raise my kids" and "Don't tell me what to do", yet if someone does something wrong, they do not want to take responsibility...they want someone to blame.

As mentioned earlier, a guest once placed their kid over a railing because the kid was anooying them, or something along those lines. The kid wandered off, into some water, and died. The parent sued Disney and won.

They made the choice to place the kid over the railing. (railings are for a purpose, but don't tell this parent how to raise their kid)

The kid wondered off, and died.

The parent BLAMED Disney, even though the kid died as a direct result of the parent's action and inaction.

pinkrose

speck76 said:
It is all about blame.

BLAME

The population seems so defient to take advice from anyone.....I hear a lot things like "Don't tell me how to raise my kids" and "Don't tell me what to do", yet if someone does something wrong, they do not want to take responsibility...they want someone to blame.

As mentioned earlier, a guest once placed their kid over a railing because the kid was anooying them, or something along those lines. The kid wandered off, into some water, and died. The parent sued Disney and won.

They made the choice to place the kid over the railing. (railings are for a purpose, but don't tell this parent how to raise their kid)

The kid wondered off, and died.

The parent BLAMED Disney, even though the kid died as a direct result of the parent's action and inaction.
Exactly.... What I'd like to know is what made someone rule in favor of these people? People are too sue happy now days, and the judges/ jury who pass the judgement in their favor aren't helping the matters any. If you do something stupid and something happens... it's your own fault because of your own stupidity.

speck76

pinkrose said:
Exactly.... What I'd like to know is what made someone rule in favor of these people? People are too sue happy now days, and the judges/ jury who pass the judgement in their favor aren't helping the matters any. If you do something stupid and something happens... it's your own fault because of your own stupidity.

Unfortunately, most of these lawsuits never make it in front of a jury. Between media sensationalism and undue public outrage, most companies settle out of court to keep their image from being tarnished too much.

In the above situation, the media would most likely report it as "Innocent Child dies due to unsafe conditions at WDW"

Even if it want to a jury trial, the attitude of most idiots would be "I can't believe WDC is fighting a poor innocent mother that just lost her child"

Companies are screwed either way...they might as well cut their losses and pay the parents to shut their yap.

One of the most public cases where the company actually fought back was the bogus Wendys finger incident....as a result of the actions of a con-women, Wendys has had to let go many employees due business being down. Here is a case where she is to blame, but what will happen to her? She will be tried, possibly convicted, but what about the people that lost their jobs? What about the investors? What about Wendys public image?

tigsmom

bbll24 said:
Wow, I would have killed my parents if they ever thought of putting me on a leash when I was little. I wouldn't want to be treated like a dog.

And I'm sure they would feel terrible when you ran into traffic, got lost in a crowd, were kidnapped, fallen into a hole, etc. I can go on and on.
As I said before, I don't care what others think, I protect my kids (even thought they are now 16 & 10), thats my job as a parent.

We'll see how you feel when you are walking in my shoes.

speck76

TAC said:
Maybe those employees that lost their jobs can sue the woman because she was the 'conduit' that led to their job loss? :lookaroun

Possibly...a civil lawsuit, but look at the lady....she is trash...she has no money.

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
I have just re-qualified as a first aider, and part of the course emphasises that you are at risk of being sued when you render first aid if you step one inch beyond the instructions they have given you.

Law suits have been made against first aiders, but so far all have been thrown out of court.

A friend of mine is a nurse and she says doctors and nurses are reticent to help at a first aid scene because they are then wide open to law suits beings as they are professionals.

I'm sure there are honest lawyers in the world, it's just a shame we can't outlaw the greedy scumbag lawyers that have thrown out common sense in order to line their own pockets.

Joe, do you have Good Samaritan Laws there?

They cover us (both my DH & I are nurses and he is highly trained in Fire/Water/Car Rescue). These laws were put into place to protect the slightly more than average citizen (those with advanced training) against being sued as long as they try to help within the scope of their training/abilities. Brad posted the law a few pages back.

tigsmom

speck76 said:
It is all about blame.

BLAME

As a young child my parents taught me to accept responisbility for my actions. If I screwed up, I had to pay the price (which I did, many times :eek: )

I am teaching my kids the same thing. Its hard to make them understand they are responsible when so many other kids (and adults) walk away scott free.

daveemtdave

Believe me, everyone who works in emergency field medicine knows these people are out there. I have been doing this for more years then I care to admit to.

When I am on my job, I will do everything in my power to help and I go beyond. I have seen stupid STUPID actions of parents that result in injury and unfortunately death.

Maybe that is why I am ultra senstive when people say we are responsible for each other. Responsiblity starts with those who are intrusted with the care of children...meaning their parents.

I have had to appear in court because the hospital was sued, the land owner was sued and the most recent because a child went up to a dog, who was on a chain, on the homeowners own yard; and was bite. This is not the city either, this is a country community.

speck76

daveemtdave said:
I have had to appear in court because the hospital was sued, the land owner was sued and the most recent because a child went up to a dog, who was on a chain, on the homeowners own yard; and was bite. This is not the city either, this is a country community.

That is one thing I worry about....my dog is friendly, but even the friendliest dog can lash out when protecting itself.

I always walk my dog on a leash. I have had very young children run up to my dog, and sometimes, it scares her......but if she were to bite the child, she would be taken from me, and put to death....considered an "unsafe dog".

There is no due process.

The kid would have only been bit because of its actions, and the inaction of the parent. I never have invited a child to pet my dog.

tigsmom

speck76 said:
That is one thing I worry about....my dog is friendly, but even the friendliest dog can lash out when protecting itself.

I always walk my dog on a leash. I have had very young children run up to my dog, and sometimes, it scares her......but if she were to bite the child, she would be taken from me, and put to death....considered an "unsafe dog".

There is no due process.

The kid would have only been bit because of its actions, and the inaction of the parent. I never have invited a child to pet my dog.

Kids need to be taught to never approach a strange animal without asking permission first. I've had kids come into my yard to pet my dog... not a good thing to do if she doesn't know you. She is very protective of my kids and our property.

speck76

So, since this is already the most controversial thread ever...anyone up for debate on abortion, captial punishment, religion, or flu shots?

:lol: :lol:

(kidding, do not discuss these topic here)

barnum42

tigsmom said:
Joe, do you have Good Samaritan Laws there?

They cover us (both my DH & I are nurses and he is highly trained in Fire/Water/Car Rescue). These laws were put into place to protect the slightly more than average citizen (those with advanced training) against being sued as long as they try to help within the scope of their training/abilities. Brad posted the law a few pages back.
Not as far as I know. If I remember, I'll ask I see her, but the impression I got is that they were advised to NOT render first aid due to the legal repercussions.

pinkrose

speck76 said:

There is no due process.

Here, they make the dog go to "jail" (vet) for quarintine at the owners expense. After so many days, the dog gets to go home. There are some cases though were the people bit or scratched have demanded that a dog be put down. I don't know exactly how that works here. If the dog's owner is doing everything right (dog on leash), or the dog is in it's own yard (chained, in fence, ect), then no one should have any business telling you that you have to quarintine or put down your dog.

daveemtdave

Again, who is responsible..not the parent; they are sadly considered the victoms -- in our case, by the way, the judge ruled in favor of the parents stating the homeowner should have known the child might wonder on their property to see the 'doggie'....they were told to protect themselves, put up a 'locked' fence.

samshem

I am not sure this has been mentioned in any of the previous posts and it is a little off topic, but this might be a beneficial technology to invest in for Disney. A guest wears a wristband and if that guest were to wander anywhere in the park, another guest or family member or cast member, whoever, would be able to track where the guest wearing the wristband is. It is displayed on a map on a screen that built into kiosks located around the park. I first saw this technology while watching Waterparks 2005 on The Travel Channel, it was in use at Dollywood's waterpark, one of only 4 parks in the country to currently use it. Here is a link to the company that makes the product. http://www.safetzone.com/

steveshady

Original Poster
Just so you all know. I did go to guest relations. Wrote down the entire story for the head of security of Animal Kingdom, and met a woman who followed the lady who took the child from Cecil just to make sure she didn't pull any funny stuff. And one more thing, I didn't post the story because I was THAT upset, I was upset, don't get me wrong, but I thought parents should be aware of this incident. If I did something wrong, my apologies.

awallaceunc

The Tanners lost Michelle, and you couldn't find a more responsible family on the planet. It happens. Luckily, the CMs were there to help out. :)

-Aaron

speck76

daveemtdave said:
Again, who is responsible..not the parent; they are sadly considered the victoms -- in our case, by the way, the judge ruled in favor of the parents stating the homeowner should have known the child might wonder on their property to see the 'doggie'....they were told to protect themselves, put up a 'locked' fence.

It is sad that we have to "wall ourselves in" to be protected for lawsuits.

There is always the story of the burgler that sued the homeowners of the house he was robbing because he fell and hurt himself.....he won :veryconfu :( :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom