Calls to Retheme Pinnochio's Daring Journey

mickEblu

I saw Maltin interview Virginia Davis at the El Capitan for a screening of Alice shorts, and she was terrific. Also saw him interview Marc Davis for an AMPAS retrospective of his work, and Betty Lou was there, and Frank Thomas, and Ollie Johston, and they rolled the opening of a Song of the South short and Maltin complained they couldn't run the whole short, and this was 1993 or 94. Maltin's not a hack, he was gifted as a scholar, historian, and interviewer. He pulled stories out of Virginia Davis that left me speechless, saying Walt was so hurt and abused, and you couldn't hear a pin drop in the Capitan as she spoke. I swear...you guys...

Walt was hurt and abused?

Professortango1

I saw Maltin interview Virginia Davis at the El Capitan for a screening of Alice shorts, and she was terrific. Also saw him interview Marc Davis for an AMPAS retrospective of his work, and Betty Lou was there, and Frank Thomas, and Ollie Johston, and they rolled the opening of a Song of the South short and Maltin complained they couldn't run the whole short, and this was 1993 or 94. Maltin's not a hack, he was gifted as a scholar, historian, and interviewer. He pulled stories out of Virginia Davis that left me speechless, saying Walt was so hurt and abused, and you couldn't hear a pin drop in the Capitan as she spoke. I swear...you guys...

Yep, Maltin is one of the greats for a reason.

mickEblu

Yes. His dad. You guys don't know this?

Knew that he was a stern man but not sure I heard anything about him physically abusing Walt. Of course, depending on the level of abuse, that was a somewhat common upbringing at the time. Did he just “catch a whoopin” every once in a while” or was this is something worse.

PB Watermelon

Knew that he was a stern man but not sure I heard anything about him physically abusing Walt. Of course, depending on the level of abuse, that was a somewhat common upbringing at the time. Did he just “catch a whoopin” every once in a while” or was this is something worse.

Elias used physical abuse against his kids to enforce his authority. They only scratched the surface in Saving Mr. Banks, but at least finally they touched the surface. That's the riddle of Walt, you have to piece it together like a puzzle by reading multiple biographies, and then it starts to make sense. Bill Peet's autobiography talks about how Walt, even in the 60's, was still haunted by his childhood. Yeah, Elias used that belt.

PB Watermelon

He had a very very rough childhood. Basically went horrible after he left Marceline.

A lot of it explains why he was the way that he was. His fondness for particular things. His distaste for others.

My heart sinks every time I remember how afraid Walt was of his father, even in the early 40's, when his dad was throwing shade on the new studio and Walt was trying to comfort him by saying it could be turned into a hospital, when Walt had no such intention at all, was just trying to calm his father down. This, after honorary degrees at Harvard, worldwide acclaim, the (then) highest grossing film of all time. Still afraid of his father. That's the answer to the riddle of Walt Disney, folks. That's where it comes from. Elias. Little guy standing up and being more resourceful and smarter and more clever and having fun while doing it...do you Disney fans really not know where this all comes from?

Walt had other brothers besides Roy. They'd send letters to their parents talking about all the drinking and prostitutes they were enjoying, as a joke, but they were jokes to particularly enrage Elias. Hat tip to them.

socalifornian

Anyone ever have O-Zell? It’s not bad. Elias heavily invested and worked at the original company, as did Walt for a little while. Although by the time he joined his dad the soda had pretty much already failed. He made and packed jelly. The current iteration[cash grab] is helmed by Micechats ‘Dusty Sage.’
3F002308-8551-4518-B87B-A5295BA2202B.jpeg

cmwade77

The only time I've heard of "white slavers" was George Lucas referring to Disney.
That is what happens when you only listen to the popular kids and what the teachers in school tell you. There were actually quite a lot of white slaves, usually of Irish decent that we never talk about. There were also spaces of all other nationalities as well. Sometimes they were indentured servants that had a chance of working their way out of it, but often they were treated the same as any other slave.

But of course that doesn't fit in with the agendas that so many have had for so long that we have tried to tease all mentions of this happening, but look hard enough and you can learn about it.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

H-A-C-K. HACK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom