Calls to Retheme Pinnochio's Daring Journey

PB Watermelon

it touches our racist heartstrings.

I don't think Song of the South is racist, in point of fact, the film seems to argue against racism, but I understand why the company has left it alone. It's really not worth the fuss made over it, and frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. It's so not worth all the drama.

As for Pinocchio overhaul, my opinion on attraction revisions has been consistent -- if they can improve it, go for it. Pinocchio is a fable about what it means to be human, everyone who has tackled that story has come to different conclusions on that front, but the darkness and danger are essential to that story. Personally, I don't think the dark ride does a very good job with perhaps the crown jewel of the golden age features, so sure, update it, trick it out with effects, but yeah, keep it scary in places. Kids dig scary, and Pinocchio is a legit scary movie. Otherwise, just call it "Cleo and Figaro's Happy Day" with Pinoke and Gepetto dancing while the kitten and the goldfish celebrate.

mickEblu

I don't think Song of the South is racist, in point of fact, the film seems to argue against racism, but I understand why the company has left it alone. It's really not worth the fuss made over it, and frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. It's so not worth all the drama.

As for Pinocchio overhaul, my opinion on attraction revisions has been consistent -- if they can improve it, go for it. Pinocchio is a fable about what it means to be human, everyone who has tackled that story has come to different conclusions on that front, but the darkness and danger are essential to that story. Personally, I don't think the dark ride does a very good job with perhaps the crown jewel of the golden age features, so sure, update it, trick it out with effects, but yeah, keep it scary in places. Kids dig scary, and Pinocchio is a legit scary movie. Otherwise, just call it "Cleo and Figaro's Happy Day" with Pinoke and Gepetto dancing while the kitten and the goldfish celebrate.

i haven’t seen the movie in years. I remember being bored to death when I watched it in junior high after I asked my friend who the heck those characters in Splash Mountain were. His mom happened to be a big Disney fan so he told me they were from Song of the South and brought me a boot leg copy. I think I fast forwarded through all or most of the live action parts. I would like to watch it again just to see what the fuss is about. The music and animation are great. I think most of us here are more worried about Splash Mountain getting the boot and not really SOTS being held hostage in the vault. All the best of SOTS is in Splash Mountain and it’ll be sad to see it go.

Pinocchio isn’t my favorite dark ride. it’s actually probably my least favorite FL style dark ride in the park. Still don’t want to see it changed for any PC reasons, however unlikely it may be. I also don’t trust current Disney with any changes to old classic attractions so there’s that.

The Empress Lilly

The moral of Pinocchio is literally "be a good boy".

How is that bad now?
Aye. Pinocchio teaches that there are evil forces in this world that will abuse and enslave. To become a real man you must do the opposite of them. It's literally what Pinocchio teaches.

But let's ban it in the name of fighting abuse and enslavement. What a basket case the modern world has become.

The Empress Lilly

Those comments read like scripted trolling.
Recreational outrage and offence is the new normal. I wish this were trolling, but that's already the pasttime of the previous generation of youngsters. It's much worse than that now. I'm already nostalgic to the calm, well-mannered 2013 4chan incel internet crowd.

PB Watermelon

i haven’t seen the movie in years. I remember being bored to death when I watched it in junior high after I asked my friend who the heck those characters in Splash Mountain were. His mom happened to be a big Disney fan so he told me they were from Song of the South and brought me a boot leg copy. I think I fast forwarded through all or most of the live action parts. I would like to watch it again just to see what the fuss is about. The music and animation are great. I think most of us here are more worried about Splash Mountain getting the boot and not really SOTS being held hostage in the vault. All the best of SOTS is in Splash Mountain and it’ll be sad to see it go.

Pinocchio isn’t my favorite dark ride. it’s actually probably my least favorite FL style dark ride in the park. Still don’t want to see it changed for any PC reasons, however unlikely it may be. I also don’t trust current Disney with any changes to old classic attractions so there’s that.

There's a Facebook page devoted to Bobby Driscoll's Lace Collar. That should tell you all you need to know about the live-action sequences in Song of the South. In Leonard Maltin's book about the Disney films, he quoted a New York Times film critic who said the ratio of live-action to animation was 3:1, and that was the same ratio as the film's mediocrity to it's charm. He was right. Song of the South is a crushing bore, with three great animated shorts sandwhiched in between a slog of hokum melodrama.

mickEblu

There's a Facebook page devoted to Bobby Driscoll's Lace Collar. That should tell you all you need to know about the live-action sequences in Song of the South. In Leonard Maltin's book about the Disney films, he quoted a New York Times film critic who said the ratio of live-action to animation was 3:1, and that was the same ratio as the film's mediocrity to it's charm. He was right. Song of the South is a crushing bore, with three great animated shorts sandwhiched in between a slog of hokum melodrama.

I can’t really dispute that as I haven’t seen it in a long time but I’ll ill say Splash Mountain needs to stay til I’m blue in the face.

EPCOTCenterLover

@mickEblu, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on these threads!

PB Watermelon

I can’t really dispute that as I haven’t seen it in a long time but I’ll ill say Splash Mountain needs to stay til I’m blue in the face.

Love your posts, MickE, but I think theming the ride to Song of the South was a mistake. Yeah. Sorry, just how I feel. Could've gone with The Rescuers, could've just gone with no IP at all, and I think we'd probably be over the moon about that. New characters, right next to the Mansion, nothing to do with any existing movie...you guys are gonna hate me, but I have no problem with redressing it to Princess and the Frog. Sure, I'd love to see Bernard and Bianca saving somebody, but that's not going to happen.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Leonard Maltin is tasteless hack.

mickEblu

Love your posts, MickE, but I think theming the ride to Song of the South was a mistake. Yeah. Sorry, just how I feel. Could've gone with The Rescuers, could've just gone with no IP at all, and I think we'd probably be over the moon about that. New characters, right next to the Mansion, nothing to do with any existing movie...you guys are gonna hate me, but I have no problem with redressing it to Princess and the Frog. Sure, I'd love to see Bernard and Bianca saving somebody, but that's not going to happen.

What’s up with all the love tonight? Am I going to die? (That’s something my superstitious Italian grandma would say). Well thank you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion even if I vehemently disagree.

Nothing will ever be Splash Mountain for me but I’d take PatF going in there over just about any other IP.

Professortango1

Aye. Pinocchio teaches that there are evil forces in this world that will abuse and enslave. To become a real man you must do the opposite of them. It's literally what Pinocchio teaches.

But let's ban it in the name of fighting abuse and enslavement. What a basket case the modern world has become.

It also teaches the world that the world is filled with monstrous people who cannot be stopped, only survived and avoided. What I love about Pinocchio is that none of villains are ever stopped. Dishonest John, Stromboli, the Coachman...they all are still out their operating at the end of the story.

PB Watermelon

It doesn't nor did I say it did. I was just stating Leonard Maltin is a tasteless and talentless hack

I saw Maltin interview Virginia Davis at the El Capitan for a screening of Alice shorts, and she was terrific. Also saw him interview Marc Davis for an AMPAS retrospective of his work, and Betty Lou was there, and Frank Thomas, and Ollie Johston, and they rolled the opening of a Song of the South short and Maltin complained they couldn't run the whole short, and this was 1993 or 94. Maltin's not a hack, he was gifted as a scholar, historian, and interviewer. He pulled stories out of Virginia Davis that left me speechless, saying Walt was so hurt and abused, and you couldn't hear a pin drop in the Capitan as she spoke. I swear...you guys...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom