Calling all golfers!!

C&D

Was playing with my brother and to be honest we both started off a little rusty, and as we were teamed up with two other golfers to fill the foursome, felt a little overclassed by the pair. So anyway, as they diplomatically requested that they should go ahead (and split the foursome to two twosomes), on the very next tee off (the hole that the split was to occur) the better of the two, duck hooks into the heavy stuff and leaves the tee somewhat embarrassed. My brother and I just looked at each other and chuckled under our breath. All was okay as both my brother and I began playing a lot better (up to our usual standards) and had a grand time, regardless, reminiscing (we live quite far apart and were vacationing with both our families) and carrying on.

heartodisney

Ive been playing for about 5 years or so and not all that bad but not anywhere near being good...yet. Me and my Father have been planning on making a trip up to WDW just to play golf on some of these courses. I am thinking of surprising him for his Bday, what course is the best up there?

You will not go wrong on any of the major courses, also watch for all the wildlife, it can be just as amazing as the course and resorts/Magic Kingdom sightings! :lol:

Baylordad

Mickey Golf Cart

Cool photo spot at Osprey Ridge...
P7190005.JPG

DizneyPryncess

It is a BEAUTIFUL golf course if you haven't seen it. I have some trouble remember which is which, but one of the courses you can see the other resorts and even some high points of MK. My favorite part is sometimes you can hear the MK railroad. You definitely get the Disney golf feeling. :D

That sounds beautiful!! I didn't realize I could hear or see anything from the parks, I'm excited! :sohappy:

Baylordad: That golf gart is awwwwesome!!! I have never seen that before! Any chance the same cart is at Magnolia?

tiaragirl

Was playing with my brother and to be honest we both started off a little rusty, and as we were teamed up with two other golfers to fill the foursome, felt a little overclassed by the pair. So anyway, as they diplomatically requested that they should go ahead (and split the foursome to two twosomes), on the very next tee off (the hole that the split was to occur) the better of the two, duck hooks into the heavy stuff and leaves the tee somewhat embarrassed. My brother and I just looked at each other and chuckled under our breath. All was okay as both my brother and I began playing a lot better (up to our usual standards) and had a grand time, regardless, reminiscing (we live quite far apart and were vacationing with both our families) and carrying on.

Social faciliation, right there ;)

But, in all seriousness, it's much better to let the keeners go and ENJOY yourself. When we played Osprey Ridge, my father and I got paired up with a guy (probably late 30s) who was clearly NOT impressed to be stuck with me. Apparently a slim 19 year old female didn't appear to have what it took to conquer a Disney course. Did I ever show him.. show an 89 :lol:

Rinx

Original Poster
Ive been playing for about 5 years or so and not all that bad but not anywhere near being good...yet. Me and my Father have been planning on making a trip up to WDW just to play golf on some of these courses. I am thinking of surprising him for his Bday, what course is the best up there?

I played Magnolia for the first time last spring. It's a nice layout and well kept but I wasn't overly impressed. To me, visually, it lacked the Disney sense. Kind of felt like you were on a golf course anywhere (minus the Mickey bunker and occasional MK sounds). LBV is my favorite. I feel like it's the ULTIMATE Disney course. You drive thru Saratoga Springs to get there. The front 9 is entirely laid out within Old Key West. On the back you see plenty of Saratoga Springs and Port Orleans FQ. Also, you got the Trumbo Canal coming into play on many holes and see plenty of boaters and Sassagoula (sp?) boats along the way. I love it :D

sweetpee_1993

This last trip in January the gang at LBV let my 13 year old pick the pin placement on #9 then gave him a bound yardage book for the course w/his pin placement and his name & address all printed in it. It was so awesome how wonderfully they embraced a junior. Chandler ended up spending every bit of his souvenir $ we gave him on a Disney Titlist golf bag. He was so impressed with the golf. He also just did all his course selections to begin high school next year & he signed up for the golf team. I have a feeling the boys will see those Disney courses again on our next trip. Lol!

BurningSpear

I am very glad to hear that LBV has a positive review, that will be the next course my wife and I play next.

I'm a former scratch player playing at about a 5 right now, and I still consider LBV to be my favorite course at Disney with Osprey coming in as a close second. I think LBV is much more fun than the other courses, albeit it's not as challenging as the others. I don't know what it is, but Palm and Magnolia just don't do it for me like LBV does. Every time I've played it it's been in good condition and it has a nice layout with a great mix of holes.

heartodisney

I'm a former scratch player playing at about a 5 right now, and I still consider LBV to be my favorite course at Disney with Osprey coming in as a close second. I think LBV is much more fun than the other courses, albeit it's not as challenging as the others. I don't know what it is, but Palm and Magnolia just don't do it for me like LBV does. Every time I've played it it's been in good condition and it has a nice layout with a great mix of holes.

Thanks! :eek: Scratch player??? Me..a "Stitch" player..:lol:..12 handicap, but I just go out to enjoy company and the course. Just got back from Destin, Fl. and played a course with my wifes' uncle in Crestview...every year we go down to visit, we try to play a different course. The one we played was only 2 years old and kinda reminded me of courses here in Arkansas, lots of valleys to contend with, tight front 9 with large greens, open back 9 with smaller greens. Shots into the greens really did not hold shots due to so new, so ya had to hit in front to play "bump and run", or just get lucky. Next year, since this is our halfway point going down to Disney, we will take an extra day or two and play one course in Destin I have yet to play, It is designed by Fred Couples, and it teases ya going over one of the bay bridges..just cannot wait! :sohappy:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
This is a bit of a thread bump, but does anyone know if lessons are available at all of the courses? The WDW website is unhelpful of course. I haven't golfed in about 5-6 years and I definitely need a lesson before I go anywhere near a course again. I've never golfed in WDW and it is something I have always wanted to do.

sweetpee_1993

This is a bit of a thread bump, but does anyone know if lessons are available at all of the courses? The WDW website is unhelpful of course. I haven't golfed in about 5-6 years and I definitely need a lesson before I go anywhere near a course again. I've never golfed in WDW and it is something I have always wanted to do.

I'm not sure if they do lessons at all the courses. My husband can't remember for sure but says he's pretty sure they have them at LBV, Palm, & Magnolia. I'm sure they have them somewhere. A golf lesson is offered to each guest under either the Platinum or Premium MYW package.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm not sure if they do lessons at all the courses. My husband can't remember for sure but says he's pretty sure they have them at LBV, Palm, & Magnolia. I'm sure they have them somewhere. A golf lesson is offered to each guest under either the Platinum or Premium MYW package.

Thanks. I'm thinking I might start at Oak Trail since I haven't played in so long and I am bound to be slow. If they don't offer lessons there that plan is shot though. I want to have my lesson and tee time in the same day if possible.

Also, I am attempting to find a place to go practice here at home, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune on memberships and such.

sweetpee_1993

Don't know if it's possible to golf during the week but hubby & FIL like to squeeze it in when they can because it's a little cheaper. Also, a lot of driving ranges have punch cards where after you pay for so many buckets of balls you get one free. Usually driving ranges have some contacts for lessons, too. It'd prob'ly be cheaper at home than at Disney. Lol!

Phonedave

Thanks. I'm thinking I might start at Oak Trail since I haven't played in so long and I am bound to be slow. If they don't offer lessons there that plan is shot though. I want to have my lesson and tee time in the same day if possible.

Also, I am attempting to find a place to go practice here at home, but I'm not looking to spend a fortune on memberships and such.

Worlds worst golf course

http://www.taragreensgolf.com/drm.htm

Well, maybe not worst, but definitely not the best.

However, cheap as can be. And it's about a hour from Freehold. WE used to play the occasionally when I was in college. It's a very hack-em-up type of course, so nobody minds if you are playing slow. WE used to take new players there. If you are a Rutgers alum and in the alumni club, the Rutgers course is very nice, and very affordable (for alumni - for others it is higher)

Check out your county courses as well. I am in Bergen County NJ, and for County residents with a card, they are pretty cheap.

-dave

Rinx

Original Poster

I'm sure the lessons are going to be quite expensive. It may actually be a good idea to buy a bucket or two of balls at any of the driving ranges for $7 and see how you hit or play Oak Trail just to see how you do. You may be better than you think and may find that lessons are not necessary.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Worlds worst golf course

http://www.taragreensgolf.com/drm.htm

Well, maybe not worst, but definitely not the best.

However, cheap as can be. And it's about a hour from Freehold. WE used to play the occasionally when I was in college. It's a very hack-em-up type of course, so nobody minds if you are playing slow. WE used to take new players there. If you are a Rutgers alum and in the alumni club, the Rutgers course is very nice, and very affordable (for alumni - for others it is higher)

Check out your county courses as well. I am in Bergen County NJ, and for County residents with a card, they are pretty cheap.

-dave

Thanks for the link. I didn't go to Rutgers but pretty much everyone else in my family did (I'm the black sheep and went out of state...baaaaa :lookaroun) so I will see if one of them wants to join me. If not, the regular prices are decent so maybe I will give the regular course a whirl. At least I won't feel too bad if I hack up the course something awful my first game. :lol:

Phonedave

Thanks for the link. I didn't go to Rutgers but pretty much everyone else in my family did (I'm the black sheep and went out of state...baaaaa :lookaroun) so I will see if one of them wants to join me. If not, the regular prices are decent so maybe I will give the regular course a whirl. At least I won't feel too bad if I hack up the course something awful my first game. :lol:

Just to clarify

Tara Greens does not give a discount for Rutgers alumni. Tara Greens is a pretty cheap, low key, not very nice course. But it is a full 9 hole course. You will be able to use the driver - one of their par 5 holes is a monster in fact, more due to poor course layout than any other factor. It is a cheap course where people don't seem to mind if you take a mulligan or two (or three) as they are only paying $24 to play.

Rutgers course (maybe 15 minutes from Tara Greens) is a MUCH nicer course. It is also more expensive (but still affordable) and as far as greens fees compared to course quality is a much better bargain than Tara Greens. However to play at Rutgers you will need a tee time, and if you play slow the rangers WILL come to pay you a visit to hurry you along.

Maybe play a round at Tara Greens, and then once you are back in the groove and can play at pace, go to Rutgers for a tune up game on a nice course.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom