News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

dothebrdwalk

They seriously need to fire their entire hospitality interior department. I don’t even care what the budget constraints were, or what exec pulled rank to get what they wanted, this is an unmitigated happenstance of a design with no cohesion to the resort, the dining/food/atmosphere, or even the films themselves. Other than the lowest level interns and associates, (who I’d bet dollars to donuts could have done better and have zero real input) the remaining should immediately be handed walking papers. If nothing else, the exec in charge has go to find new employment. I cannot understate the atrocious decision making when it comes to furniture and fixtures on these latest renovations.

All of course in my humble estimation.
If there was no Press Release, you would have no idea this was themed to Mary Poppins. So chill out with the "unmitigated happenstance blah blah." It's some green chairs.

Missing20K

If there was no Press Release, you would have no idea this was themed to Mary Poppins. So chill out with the "unmitigated happenstance blah blah." It's some green chairs.
That’s my point. If they are gonna “theme” it, actually theme it. Some furniture with handles, umbrella lamps, and floral patterns aren’t theming. What in the space ties back to the resort, the dining experience, or the films? A few subtle clues to them? In what way is this renovated space conveying any sort of reassurance? It’s not unique, it doesn’t fit with the resort, and as you said “you’d have no idea it was themed to Mary Poppins”.

I’m of the view that at the resorts, particularly the deluxe/moderate category, the overall theme should drive the experience. I don’t think they should be theming spaces in the deluxe/mod categories to characters or film properties at all, unless done as the theme ala the Galactic Cruiser.

I have no problems with characters being in and around the deluxe/mod level, I just feel they should still drive home the theme. However, if you’re gonna try and theme a space to a film, actually do it. Make the guest feel. Make them react beyond “this is fancy” or “oh look at that quaint nod to the movie”. Make them want to watch the films if they haven’t already. Make it one of a kind.

I think part of the issue at hand is the grand building and lackluster story telling that is the GF.

DonaldDoleWhip

I have no problems with characters being in and around the deluxe/mod level, I just feel they should still drive home the theme. However, if you’re gonna try and theme a space to a film, actually do it. Make the guest feel. Make them react beyond “this is fancy” or “oh look at that quaint nod to the movie”. Make them want to watch the films if they haven’t already. Make it one of a kind.

I think part of the issue at hand is the grand building and lackluster story telling that is the GF.
You know what those floral chairs and green accents make me think of? The main lobby's carpet. The artwork on the walls. The gardens outside.

This design absolutely fits with the grand main building and storytelling that is the GF, possibly more than the previous design did. A modern Floridian menu with Mediterranean accents also fits better than strictly Mediterranean. Poppins or not, I see how it fits and it's really not a stretch.

ABQ

The press release refers, repeatedly, that this theme is to Mary Poppins Returns. I have never seen the film, frankly know of no one who has, but has anyone who has seen the film said anything that seems to support this makeover?

Weather_Lady

The press release refers, repeatedly, that this theme is to Mary Poppins Returns. I have never seen the film, frankly know of no one who has, but has anyone who has seen the film said anything that seems to support this makeover?
It's worth seeing.

The film "references" that I recognize have more to do with colors and textures than anything else. The greens and golds of the Banks' costumes throughout the film, the prints evoking the garden and the Royal Doulton bowl that features in the story, and the lamp posts. It's subtle and classy and translates the artistic mood and time period of the film, without slapping anyone in the face with IP. I wish that all the recent makeovers had been this subtle -- winking at a Disney movie instead of screaming its name from every corner.

Whether it fits in with the resort's overall "theme" is something I can't really speak to, however. I do think it's a vast improvement over the bland, straight-out-of-1990 decor that was there before.

Last edited:

Missing20K

You know what those floral chairs and green accents make me think of? The main lobby's carpet. The artwork on the walls. The gardens outside.

This design absolutely fits with the grand main building and storytelling that is the GF, possibly more than the previous design did. A modern Floridian menu with Mediterranean accents also fits better than strictly Mediterranean. Poppins or not, I see how it fits and it's really not a stretch.
You didn’t say Mary Poppins though. And that’s supposedly the theme of the renovation.

I legitimately don’t know what a Floridian menu is, so my apologies.

But I still hold firm the space conveys no real theme at all. One might even say the venture was doomed from the start when the space is supposed to be themed to a film set in the 20’s that’s a sequel to a film set in the turn of the century, housed inside a resort built to look very much like a California landmark that’s in turn themed to a turn of the century bygone Florida resort with 20’s Palm Beach interiors.

I still don’t feel floral patterns make a theme, irrespective of what the guest may think of when seeing them. Go to any stuffy country club and you’ll see virtually the same room.

DonaldDoleWhip

You didn’t say Mary Poppins though. And that’s supposedly the theme of the renovation.

I legitimately don’t know what a Floridian menu is, so my apologies.

But I still hold firm the space conveys no real theme at all. One might even say the venture was doomed from the start when the space is supposed to be themed to a film set in the 20’s that’s a sequel to a film set in the turn of the century, housed inside a resort built to look very much like a California landmark that’s in turn themed to a turn of the century bygone Florida resort with 20’s Palm Beach interiors.

I still don’t feel floral patterns make a theme, irrespective of what the guest may think of when seeing them. Go to any stuffy country club and you’ll see virtually the same room.
My point is, as someone who hasn't seen the movie and doesn't particularly need a film tie-in, I can see how this design completely works in GF.

The theme of this restaurant isn't Mary Poppins. We're not talking Be Our Guest-level immersion, and as the official description articulates, the setting "pays homage to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns." It's not meant to envelope you completely in the movie; it's there if you want it to be.

Feel free to nitpick as much as you want, but I'm a little confused why I don't constantly see the same level of criticism thrown toward the Boardwalk for any of its establishments that don't represent turn-of-the-century Atlantic City (ESPN Club?), or Beach Club for its buffet from the 90s and former signature restaurant named after a Danish princess whose movie may take place in the Caribbean. None of Disney's Victorian/East Coast-inspired resorts execute their themes perfectly, but this is one change I can accept as a lateral (and arguably positive) move.

As fun as it can be to nitpick and lament the loss of everything we knew as we knew it, this is one instance where I think the criticism is beyond disproportionate. You don't have to like GF or the motifs it utilizes, but that doesn't make it bad or make this update a failure.

Robbiem

I saw it on a flight. Its OK, basically a pseudo remake of the original dressed up as a sequel. I can’t see it being as popular as the original movie and nothing stands out that I recognise from the restaurant photos.
I just think its an odd choice when the original movie is so well known and important to Disney history to use a sequel most people don’t really care about a bit like making a 50s bar themed to grease 2

DonaldDoleWhip

I saw it on a flight. Its OK, basically a pseudo remake of the original dressed up as a sequel. I can’t see it being as popular as the original movie and nothing stands out that I recognise from the restaurant photos.
I just think its an odd choice when the original movie is so well known and important to Disney history to use a sequel most people don’t really care about a bit like making a 50s bar themed to grease 2
Personally I think this overlay looks so subtle and open-ended that one could completely ignore 'Returns' in the description (or 'Mary Poppins Returns' entirely) and still find something to enjoy.

Maybe not Disney's greatest triumph as a themed endeavor, but again, it's really not. It's a signature restaurant first and foremost, borrowing elements of its color palette from a film with an iconic lead character (who'll always be known more for the literature or 1964 film than the half-baked, lazy sequel).

Missing20K

My point is, as someone who hasn't seen the movie and doesn't particularly need a film tie-in, I can see how this design completely works in GF.

The theme of this restaurant isn't Mary Poppins. We're not talking Be Our Guest-level immersion, and as the official description articulates, the setting "pays homage to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns." It's not meant to envelope you completely in the movie; it's there if you want it to be.

Feel free to nitpick as much as you want, but I'm a little confused why I don't constantly see the same level of criticism thrown toward the Boardwalk for any of its establishments that don't represent turn-of-the-century Atlantic City (ESPN Club?), or Beach Club for its buffet from the 90s and former signature restaurant named after a Danish princess whose movie may take place in the Caribbean. None of Disney's Victorian/East Coast-inspired resorts execute their themes perfectly, but this is one change I can accept as a lateral (and arguably positive) move.

As fun as it can be to nitpick and lament the loss of everything we knew as we knew it, this is one instance where I think the criticism is beyond disproportionate. You don't have to like GF or the motifs it utilizes, but that doesn't make it bad or make this update a failure.
I don’t understand why one would create a themed environment in which virtually no one call tell is a themed environment.

You call it nit-picking, I call it attention to detail. And that attention isn’t about “homages” in the form of furniture and fixtures. I believe it should be about creating immersive experiences that are one of a kind that exist no where else in the world.

As far as boardwalk and other resorts, I certainly have criticism for those as well (looking at you contemp room reno) and the many instances of anachronisms. But this thread is about the GF so…

DonaldDoleWhip

I don’t understand why one would create a themed environment in which virtually no one call tell is a themed environment.

You call it nit-picking, I call it attention to detail. And that attention isn’t about “homages” in the form of furniture and fixtures. I believe it should be about creating immersive experiences that are one of a kind that exist no where else in the world.

As far as boardwalk and other resorts, I certainly have criticism for those as well (looking at you contemp room reno) and the many instances of anachronisms. But this thread is about the GF so…
Literally none of the resort signature restaurants do this. Jiko and Artist Point arguably did it the best, and look how they're doing.

Artist Point was probably the easiest signature to book, until Snow White turned it into an enchanted Bavarian forest. This isn't nearly as offensive.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Oh please. Just give Disney your banking and credit card information and be happy about it!! Sheesh. This whole "attention to detail" stuff doesn't matter because it's Disney!!! Just ignore everything and trust them. You'll have a good time because they told you that you were. And you'll have pictures (available for an additional $199) to prove it!

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh please. Just give Disney your banking and credit card information and be happy about it!! Sheesh. This whole "attention to detail" stuff doesn't matter because it's Disney!!! Just ignore everything and trust them. You'll have a good time because they told you that you were. And you'll have pictures (available for an additional $199) to prove it!
I'd find the sarcasm funny if the design actually looked bad, but it doesn't. This is coming from someone who's generally not a fan of the character-driven overhauls.

DonaldDoleWhip

You’re telling us the Great Depression is a perfect match for Victorian splendor. That’s a bit more than “I like the furniture.”
If you want to treat this update as a face-value, completely literal take on Mary Poppins Returns, that's your choice, but the vagueness of the press material (and overlay itself) gives us free reign to interpret the design choices, which I think fit nicely in a modern Victorian-style hotel (that's taken liberties with its precise theme since opening day, no different from Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Contemporary, etc).

Missing20K

Literally none of the resort signature restaurants do this. Jiko and Artist Point arguably did it the best, and look how they're doing.

Artist Point was probably the easiest signature to book, until Snow White turned it into an enchanted Bavarian forest. This isn't nearly as offensive.
Which is my point. Why do it here? Why do it now? And if you’re gonna, why do it with such poor execution?

This is Disney for people who want Disney IP, they just don’t want slapped in the face with it.

Why not a *gasp* original concept designed to reinforce or reinvent the weak story telling of the GF?

DonaldDoleWhip

Which is my point. Why do it here? Why do it now? And if you’re gonna, why do it with such poor execution?

This is Disney for people who want Disney IP, they just don’t want slapped in the face with it.

Why not a *gasp* original concept designed to reinforce or reinvent the weak story telling of the GF?
Easiest to start with the third - we all know there's a mandate to integrate IP and branded storytelling across the property. Do I agree with it? No, but it's happening regardless.

Taking that into consideration, this is clearly a best-case outcome, as Mary Poppins is an IP that many consider appropriate for GF, and if you can't stand the tie-ins, it's not blatant at all.

To those who aren't specifically looking for IP (myself included), the new design appears to take inspiration from other colors and motifs already present throughout GF. I also disagree that the execution is poor, that's a matter of opinion. Neither one of us is alone, but is there a single instance of interior design that appeals to everyone? Not that I can think of. Even Poly, WL, and AKL have their detractors who'd rather be somewhere like GF or Yacht Club.

James Alucobond

You’re telling us the Great Depression is a perfect match for Victorian splendor. That’s a bit more than “I like the furniture.”
This refurbishment is based on the personal style of Mary herself from Returns, not the era she happens to beam into through a cloudburst. The ageless nanny-goddess doesn't look like she's hurting for cash with her $500 capelet coats and vibrant prints.

This is not "poor execution". This is execution in a manner that you don't like, which is fine, but they did what they set out to do. This is also pretty consistent with the level to which they theme common areas and restaurants in the deluxe resorts. Yes, they're being a lot more overt in the rooms now, but think about things like the carpet in 'Ohana with minor Moana details that the average guest might miss and not care about. This is nothing new; they've done plenty of little nods without making a restaurant overtly "the Mary Poppins restaurant" or "the Moana restaurant".

Skywise

View attachment 567803
View attachment 567804it may not be my first choice of decor, but these photos speak for themselves
Yeah and I prefer the bottom - it's not the decor per se. I'll admit Mizner's was "tiny" and kind of dingy but that was part of the charm to me. Enlarging it was definitely a plus and they desperately need to do the same for Trader Sams at the Poly. I'm not even against the Beauty and the Beast theming (only that A - it sucks compared to Be Our Guest and B - Do we want children to join mommy and daddy at the bar?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom