News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

Poseidon Quest

Y’all are crazy. You legit can’t even tell this is Poppins. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Then what's the point? Does Disney want to throw-up characters all over us or not? If they really believed that this would help attendance, why didn't the plaster it everywhere? If they didn't want to do that, then why even bother with hints so subtle, that it might as well not be there?

You know what would have made sense? Doing something interesting and creative. Instead, we have a new theme stuck in a weird limbo for no discernable reason.

James Alucobond

Then what's the point? Does Disney want to throw-up characters all over us or not? If they really believed that this would help attendance, why didn't the plaster it everywhere? If they didn't want to do that, then why even bother with hints so subtle, that it might as well not be there?

You know what would have made sense? Doing something interesting and creative. Instead, we have a new theme stuck in a weird limbo for no discernable reason.
You're asking why when the answer is probably quite simply, "Why not?" Why put hidden Mickeys in the park? Because it's fun to find them for folks in the know, but it doesn't detract from anyone else's experience. Same idea here. It's fun to take note of the carpet bag patterns, "handles" on the backs of the seats, umbrella chandeliers, and gilded bird details, but it's not going to make my dining experience feel absurd.

DonaldDoleWhip

For those who enjoy spotting film references, it's a subtle integration that fits the Victorian style and wasn't there before. For those who don't care, it's a pleasant color palette refresh.

It's not really a loss in any way, except to those who were particularly attached to the old decor or menu, but signature restaurants have been known to change up their menus all the time.

JustInTime

Oh no, I hope you don’t decide to stay home.

castlecake2.0

The Enchanted Rose felt cheap to me when I visited. It was kind of tacky and everything looked like it was something budget attempting to disguise itself as luxury, except maybe the chandelier.

It was not somewhere I'd want to sit and hang out.
Definitely not my fave bar on property, but it can’t be said it’s not an upgrade from Mizners.

Robbiem

I’ve no issues with the Mary Poppins theme at the GF but the original edwardian based movie would have been a much more appropriate theme than the 1920s sequel Something based on the jolly holiday garden would have been a great fit IMO.

Menu looks OK but it doesn’t really match the Mary Poppins theme, I would have liked a spattering of British inspired items - fish and chips, scones, sherry trifle etc to match the idea behind the place, doesn’t have to be everything but should be something

castlecake2.0

I’ve no issues with the Mary Poppins theme at the GF but the original edwardian based movie would have been a much more appropriate theme than the 1920s sequel Something based on the jolly holiday garden would have been a great fit IMO.

Menu looks OK but it doesn’t really match the Mary Poppins theme, I would have liked a spattering of British inspired items - fish and chips, scones, sherry trifle etc to match the idea behind the place, doesn’t have to be everything but should be something
Those all sound delicious but I think it’s more along the lines of the colors/patterns of the restaurant take inspiration from the movie, not “this is a marry poppins restaurant now”.

lazyboy97o

This is the lie that people have been telling themselves over and over for years. “It’s subtle.” “It’s not noticeable.” Even wall sized graphics are now “small” in a lame attempt to rationalize these decisions. If it was actually subtle and small it wouldn’t be noticeable, it wouldn’t be marketable and would be an anachronistic waste that muddies the design. It’s like adding “rocket ship touches” across Main Street, USA because the US space program is so noteworthy.

Missing20K

They seriously need to fire their entire hospitality interior department. I don’t even care what the budget constraints were, or what exec pulled rank to get what they wanted, this is an unmitigated happenstance of a design with no cohesion to the resort, the dining/food/atmosphere, or even the films themselves. Other than the lowest level interns and associates, (who I’d bet dollars to donuts could have done better and have zero real input) the remaining should immediately be handed walking papers. If nothing else, the exec in charge has go to find new employment. I cannot understate the atrocious decision making when it comes to furniture and fixtures on these latest renovations.

All of course in my humble estimation.

Bocabear

If we are going Poppins as the mascot character for Grand Floridian, then Go Poppins as a mascot... The theme integration at Citricos is weak at best... The floral chairs with handles..yuk it's the same crap they have at Rooms 2 Go with different fabric. I wish they would just stop trying to make it modern and let the whole hotel exude the elegance of the late Edwardian period.... the way it was initially designed... If they want to add a little character and do it in the right way without it being some modern/victorian cartoon mess.
The Enchanted Rose is an utter failure as it evokes neither the BATB chacters or the spirit of the hotel... Just an odd Ikea inspired run of the mill hotel bar...
At least Mizner's had the society orchestra....while I don't think Mizner's ever lived up to it's namesake.
Why not make the Enchanted Rose a proper beautiful Edwardian Gentleman's Club... full of travel artifacts, nods to Poppins, and Victorian whimsy... Then add those beautiful period details scattered throughout the new Citricos instead of "Marriott Modern" with a floral pattern. If Citricos was more beautifully Edwardian, then V&A would make even more sense as it's neighbor.... Calling something Poppins Inspired because there are odd floral patterned chairs is just ridiculous.
All of the restaurants and bars at the Grand Floridian should be on-theme to the resort...as it was imagined to be. An opulent grand old Victorian/Edwardian Resort... Poppins fits in the time frame...but not the current decor of the spaces.

castlecake2.0

I'll be that guy and say it's not.
0BE01CDA-A4E7-426A-83C3-D2FCBE2317CA.jpeg

9988BEC1-3587-4992-A61F-83716D757F92.jpeg
it may not be my first choice of decor, but these photos speak for themselves

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
In the menu they have a delightful sounding corn chowder garnished with popcorn.

Now if only they would fix the popcorn lighting on the outside of the buildings.

Bocabear

View attachment 567803
View attachment 567804it may not be my first choice of decor, but these photos speak for themselves
I agree than now that they have more than doubles the size of Mizner's, part of it definitely look better... And as I have said many times before, Mizner's doesn't live up to it's namesake at all. So, Yes, this particular angle looks much better than Mizner's was... But the whole space fails to integrate into the feeling and theme of the hotel... Better space, worse theme and decor. It could and should be so much more. Especially for the Grand Floridian Flagship Resort....

Epcot82Guy

As much as I have hated the shoehorn generally, this doesn't bother me. Citricos has always been the more modern eatery, and this carries that on. I consider the MP more like "hidden Mickey's". But, this one works because you don't have to know MP to appreciate the space. (Unlike Enchanted Rose which is hideous from a design standpoint IMHO and makes no sense in the location - so BatB is the only usable selling point outside of the porch.).

I do agree that GF has become a mishmash. I can get behind the "antique" hotel that preserves key aspects like the lobby and the like - while adding modern facilities like the bar, restaurant, etc. But, those need to be done in a tasteful way. Disney touches should be subtle for those looking. This works for me. Enchanted Rose is one of the worst offenders. (Though rooms at Poly and Contemporary especially are going for that title at the Resorts for me.)

ABQ

I agree than now that they have more than doubles the size of Mizner's, part of it definitely look better... And as I have said many times before, Mizner's doesn't live up to it's namesake at all. So, Yes, this particular angle looks much better than Mizner's was... But the whole space fails to integrate into the feeling and theme of the hotel... Better space, worse theme and decor. It could and should be so much more. Especially for the Grand Floridian Flagship Resort....
The Garden Room is a complete disaster of a space. Echo chamber that just does nothing for me. If I'm going to drink ludicrously overpriced cocktails, which they do make well, I'll give them that, I'd rather not feel like I'm in a middle school cafeteria. They could have done so much more for very little more investment and time.

The Visionary Soul

That hotel in San Diego is "The most famous of historic hotels in San Diego is Hotel del Coronado, a National Historic Landmark. It’s located on Coronado Island in San Diego Bay, within sight of downtown San Diego. Opened in February 1888, it’s now over 130 years old." It is class.
Yeah, it’s been talked about at length in this thread, and obviously I know that, but do you really believe Michael Eisner knew the name of the hotel? Me thinks not. That’s why I was fake quoting him.
If I want woodsy I will stay at the Wilderness Lodge.
Same architect. But Wilderness Lodge is like the less dressy version. For the record I absolutely love Wilderness Loge. Wish they hadn’t homogenized the rooms in the last rehab though.
Grand Californian is a bit more upper class, it has a bit more in common with Animal Kingdom Lodge, just because it was in the same contract.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom