News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Question, for Citrico's, the day we can book is July 1st, do we know if they open it up at 6AM like the typical 60 day window?

The Visionary Soul

Yep, I've seen the Del and know what it looks like. I actually think its exterior is kind of ugly and that the GF improves on it (setting aside the Villa building, which is hideous).

That said, the Del was built in 1888 and is still considered to be a "wooden Victorian beach resort." That's absolutely what the GF is meant to evoke. Is it the quintessential example of Victorian architecture? No, but very few elements of WDW represent the quintessential version of their inspiration. There are a few exceptions in there, like Morocco in Epcot being impressively ornate, but that knock isn't unique to GF. I just think it's an easier target because the theme is more played out, boring, and typical.

Still, it's what we ended up with, and I don't think the addition of Mary Poppins or Alice hurt it. Even think they'd be a net positive addition to the rooms.
That’s fair… it’s as if Michael Eisner literally told WDI in 1985, “Let’s build a flagship hotel for WDW that uses the same decorators and architects of the best new hotels of Beverly Hills and base the exterior on that hotel in San Diego.”

DonaldDoleWhip

That’s fair… it’s as if Michael Eisner literally told WDI in 1985, “Let’s build a flagship hotel for WDW that uses the same decorators and architects of the best new hotels of Beverly Hills and base the exterior on that hotel in San Diego.”
Yep, not saying it was perfectly conceived (I think framing it as an Old Florida beach resort was a misstep - just call it a modern/contemporary take on Victorian), and I respect the criticism that it doesn't fulfill its theme perfectly, I just think there are very few WDW resorts that actually do.

AKL and WL are the two that stand out there - even Poly skews more toward the mid-century mainland tiki craze than anything.

One hotel in particular I've never understood is Grand Californian. I love the idea, and of course the location is unbeatable, but I think Wilderness Lodge does the rustic lodge thing better. Yes, there are subtle differences in the theming (GCH going more for Arts and Crafts / Northern California), but location aside, I'd take GF and WL over GCH.

castlecake2.0

I approve, do something similar to the cafe now and the rest of the resort. I think “inspired by” is different than “themed to”. You’re not going to see “Mary’s soup of the day” on the menu, it’s still citricos, it’s just the colors textures etc were inspired by that in the movie. If you didn’t read this press release you’d probably never know. Enchanted Rose went one step too far with incorporating some props from the movie. Take down the painting of the castle and the mrs Potts display and just have it as an elegant space and it would have been fine.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Here is the new menu -

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.30.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.25.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.25.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.27.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.27.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 6.28.16 PM.png

UNCgolf

I approve, do something similar to the cafe now and the rest of the resort. I think “inspired by” is different than “themed to”. You’re not going to see “Mary’s soup of the day” on the menu, it’s still citricos, it’s just the colors textures etc were inspired by that in the movie. If you didn’t read this press release you’d probably never know. Enchanted Rose went one step too far with incorporating some props from the movie. Take down the painting of the castle and the mrs Potts display and just have it as an elegant space and it would have been fine.

The Enchanted Rose felt cheap to me when I visited. It was kind of tacky and everything looked like it was something budget attempting to disguise itself as luxury, except maybe the chandelier.

It was not somewhere I'd want to sit and hang out.

DonaldDoleWhip

Of all changes to go off on, I just don’t understand why this one - it’s no more offensive than the Ariel statue outside Beach Club Villas.

I like that statue, by the way, even though Ariel has nothing to do with the Eastern Seaboard.

Seems like a lateral move / general refresh to me (which many felt was needed), no worse than before.

The Visionary Soul

Yep, not saying it was perfectly conceived (I think framing it as an Old Florida beach resort was a misstep - just call it a modern/contemporary take on Victorian), and I respect the criticism that it doesn't fulfill its theme perfectly, I just think there are very few WDW resorts that actually do.

AKL and WL are the two that stand out there - even Poly skews more toward the mid-century mainland tiki craze than anything.

One hotel in particular I've never understood is Grand Californian. I love the idea, and of course the location is unbeatable, but I think Wilderness Lodge does the rustic lodge thing better. Yes, there are subtle differences in the theming (GCH going more for Arts and Crafts / Northern California), but location aside, I'd take GF and WL over GCH.
If there’s any architectural style that is pleasant and fits a Californian wooded area, it’s California Craftsman / Mission Style. I think The Grand Californian is by far the best Disney hotel in the Continental United States. It makes more sense if you study the detail work and the design intent of the architect. Take a look at some of the Greene and Greene homes as well. It does a spectacular job of dressing up the California Bungalow style home and bringing it to the scale required for a National Park Lodge or Theme Park Hotel.

GimpYancIent

That hotel in San Diego is "The most famous of historic hotels in San Diego is Hotel del Coronado, a National Historic Landmark. It’s located on Coronado Island in San Diego Bay, within sight of downtown San Diego. Opened in February 1888, it’s now over 130 years old." It is class.

GimpYancIent

If there’s any architectural style that is pleasant and fits a Californian wooded area, it’s California Craftsman / Mission Style. I think The Grand Californian is by far the best Disney hotel in the Continental United States. It makes more sense if you study the detail work and the design intent of the architect. Take a look at some of the Greene and Greene homes as well. It does a spectacular job of dressing up the California Bungalow style home and bringing it to the scale required for a National Park Lodge or Theme Park Hotel.
If I want woodsy I will stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

DonaldDoleWhip

I respect where you're coming from, but we'll have to agree to disagree (which is fine - even among professional architects I'm sure there are varying opinions).

Grand Californian is the right concept to border Grizzly Peak, but the rooms and some very prominent sections of the common areas have always screamed "retirement home" to me. The lobby is great, but generally the hotel is unable to execute immersion on the same level as its WDW counterparts. WL and AKL are similarly detailed, but they benefit immensely from impressive natural surroundings that GCH isn't afforded.

To GCH's credit, I haven't seen the latest room design in person but think it looks like a substantial improvement, although the prices have soared to match. After looking up Greene and Greene homes I'll also agree that GCH pulls off that style really well on a large scale, and I like the cues it takes from places like the Ahwahnee. It's not a bad hotel, but I do think it's overrated simply because DLR is so starved of imagineered resorts.

For me, GF is equally compelling as a flagship, but one would have to like the style to feel that way, and many WDW visitors prefer a more unique theme (I like both). It also suffers by virtue of competing against 7 deluxe resorts (at least three of which are significantly more thematic), and the timeshares built adjacent to the deluxes, and the Four Seasons, JW Marriott, Waldorf Astoria, etc. You're definitely not alone in your sentiments but I don't think that makes the GF objectively bad, nor do I think Citricos incorporating a subtle Mary Poppins motif will make it any worse.

Let's see when it opens, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom