News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

Bocabear

The decor at Citricos was very dated...The restaurant was done up in the 90s...And while there were beautiful touches that didn't lose their appeal, the upholstery and carpets looked very dated...
Honestly from it's inception it should have been more of an Edwardian vibe than the sort of "Grand Luxe Cafe" school of design it emulated...
For the record I don't hate the floral touches and some new lighting...But I don't think it goes far enough in memorable placemaking...the way every space at WDW's Flagship Resort should. This new design is pretty but not memorable...anf looks a lot like a lot of other places I have been.

Missing20K

Would you be willing to answer the same question of the old scheme?

long-shot-of-seating-area-citricos.jpg

ETA: My answer would be London Transport upholstery and bad ’90s hotel carpet. While there are elements of it I don’t like, I find the new scheme far more evocative of the sort of vintage grandeur the hotel represents.

Theming does not always need to be so literal. It can be just be lightly applied to evoke a mood or a memory. People don’t always need to be clubbed over the head with it these days. It can be subtextual, something extra if you choose to look for it.

Because it's not themed. It's inspired by the color palette and patterns—in particular from the animated sequence—of the movie. Nothing more. The press release literally says this. It's not trying to tell a story. It's a visual homage because they thought it would add a fun dash of whimsy to the space. As I said, there's a difference between a space that is immersive, one that is themed, and one that is merely inspired by a property.
TIL that well-executed themed experiences aren’t supposed to tell a story. And that spaces in themed resorts, shouldn’t be themed.

To each their own, I suppose.
B1AB2FA2-2AA6-45A8-8C95-AFFEC4C2D6CE.jpeg

cdatkins

I love the GF (in fact just stayed there two weeks ago) and don't really care one way or the other from an Imagineering standpoint on this change.

What I find interesting are two things:

1. That they chose Mary Poppins Returns for their inspiration. A film that I don't see a large fanbase for.
2. The way this discussion is going. Which is basically "Look at the new Citricos! Isn't it great!" "That sucks! It's bad!" "Why do you think it sucks? Of all the things to complain about..." It's basically the same conversation I see play out across Disney's assets right now, from the Theme Parks, to Star Wars, to Marvel, to the live-action remakes. It's like riding IASW honestly.

lazyboy97o

Theming does not always need to be so literal. It can be just be lightly applied to evoke a mood or a memory. People don’t always need to be clubbed over the head with it these days. It can be subtextual, something extra if you choose to look for it.
There are different ways a theme can influence an interior design but themed entertainment is storytelling through built space. It is an experience you enter, not just pieces that might remind you of something else. It’s building a Batcave versus a room with Batman decorations. It’s not that a room with decorations can’t be a well designed space, but it is something different and not a themed experience.

“Something extra if you choose to look for it” should reinforce the core idea, not be a random left turn.

cdatkins

There are different ways a theme can influence an interior design but themed entertainment is storytelling through built space. It is an experience you enter, not just pieces that might remind you of something else. It’s building a Batcave versus a room with Batman decorations. It’s not that a room with decorations can’t be a well designed space, but it is something different and not a themed experience.

“Something extra if you choose to look for it” should reinforce the core idea, not be a random left turn.

We really enjoyed the food and service at the Enchanted Rose a few weeks ago, but if my daughter hadn't pointed out the BATB pieces in the room (and from the LIVE ACTION REMAKE at that - gack) I would have had no idea of the theming.

lazyboy97o

We really enjoyed the food and service at the Enchanted Rose a few weeks ago, but if my daughter hadn't pointed out the BATB pieces in the room (and from the LIVE ACTION REMAKE at that - gack) I would have had no idea of the theming.
Ok. Again, themed entertainment is storytelling. If the space did not properly communicate that it is Beauty and the Beast then what was the point? Should the point of a design really be that someone can point out its association with something otherwise unrelated to the larger experience? Would anyone ever suggest that it would be great if Galaxy’s Edge added a restaurant with design subtlety influenced by Star Trek?

James Alucobond

TIL that well-executed themed experiences aren’t supposed to tell a story. And that spaces in themed resorts, shouldn’t be themed.

To each their own, I suppose.
The theme and story are tied to the resort itself. This doesn't seek to replace that. One of the restaurants inside of it now just happens to include a few fabrics and fixtures inspired by Mary Poppins that don't interfere with and in fact play nicely with the overarching story. What exactly is wrong with that?

lazyboy97o

The theme and story are tied to the resort itself. This doesn't seek to replace that. One of the restaurants inside of it now just happens to include a few fabrics and fixtures inspired by Mary Poppins that don't interfere with and in fact play nicely with the overarching story. What exactly is wrong with that?
How does Mary Poppins play nicely with the overarching story?

James Alucobond

How does Mary Poppins play nicely with the overarching story?
Mary Poppins as a character/property doesn't have to aside from her "practically perfect" ideology since this is purely about pulling from her mostly anachronistic visual identity in Returns. I said the fabrics and fixtures play nicely with the story, not that the narrative of any specific movie she's in does. Again, most people weren't decked out like Blunt!Poppins during the Great Depression.

lazyboy97o

Mary Poppins as a character/property doesn't have to aside from her "practically perfect" ideology since this is purely about pulling from her mostly anachronistic visual identity in Returns. I said the fabrics and fixtures play nicely with the story, not that the narrative of any specific movie she's in does. Again, most people weren't decked out like Blunt!Poppins during the Great Depression.
That doesn’t answer how even as a character Mary Poppins relates to the hotel.

James Alucobond

Because I said it doesn't really matter? It's about how her visual identity and her prim-and-proper nature pairs nicely with the visual identity of the Grand Floridian and does not disrupt the overarching narrative of the resort because all it adds is some on-trend bright colors and patterns that act as a fun reference.

Ultimately, I'm not debating whether or not IP should be used this way; you can dislike this subtle "inspired by" approach. However, constantly asking, "Where's the story?" makes it seem like people are being willfully obtuse about what this is. The press release even says it's an incredibly subtle visual homage.

Bocabear

There are currently three IPs associated with the Grand Floridian none of which have done a demonstrably good job of being part of the experience. The Alice In Wonderland Splash play area is probably the most obvious to guests.
Mary Poppins with this restaurant refurbishment makes two places around the resort (fountain at the DVC) visible to guests.
Beauty and The Beast Enchanted Rose Lounge which neither evokes the characters or spirit of the films other than something that would have to be pointed out.
If IP Integration is the mandate across property, then Poppins fits the bill nicely...but Classic Mary. Refurbish 1900 Park Faire to have more of a Jolly Holiday feel...More whimsical decor.
Redesign the tearoom to more accurately express the Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea...
And go ahead and allow Citricos to be a beautifully designed whimsical and elegant Edwardian dining room...
BATB made absolutely no sense on this property, but a little bit of Mary, well done, could be an enchanting addition. and it would be More Timeless, More Disney...lol

Ponderer

That doesn’t answer how even as a character Mary Poppins relates to the hotel.

It doesn’t fit with the hotel inspired by the one in San Diego. However, since it’s considered to be set at the end of the Victorian era, It DOES fit with the rough timeframe of Victoria & Albert’s (a Victorian restaurant shoehorned into the top of the hotel inspired by the one in San Diego).

So, you know, you can get rid of that terribly inconsistent Vicky & Al’s as well, since we’re going to be purist about this.

lazyboy97o

It doesn’t fit with the hotel inspired by the one in San Diego. However, since it’s considered to be set at the end of the Victorian era, It DOES fit with the rough timeframe of Victoria & Albert’s (a Victorian restaurant shoehorned into the top of the hotel inspired by the one in San Diego).

So, you know, you can get rid of that terribly inconsistent Vicky & Al’s as well, since we’re going to be purist about this.
I didn’t follow that at all. A Victorian restaurant named after Queen Victoria doesn’t make sense in a Victorian hotel?

Missing20K

What’s the story of the restaurant? Asking honestly.
So you agree the space has been significantly improved yet still want to see those responsible for this improvement fired? I can’t get my head around that.
Significantly improved for a dated country club with aging members? Yes.

Significantly improved for what we are told is the premier themed entertainment company in the world? No
She evokes early twentieth-century grandeur.
During the depression? That’s when the sequel is set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom