News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

lazyboy97o

But those costumes provide you with an answer to the question you posed: they enable Mary Poppins to evoke a grandeur befitting the Grand Floridian. That they appear only in the animated sequences doesn't mean they can't shape people's general perception of the character, just as Cinderella has becomes associated with sumptuous ballroom settings despite wearing rags for most of the film.

Let's not forget that Mary Poppins always appears in her iconic holiday garb at Walt Disney Word.

6365810901_459cb993a6_b.jpg
A simple image search for "Mary Poppins" brings up a lot more images of her in her standard attire. Where exactly does wearing a costume for a portion end as to making a character to fit? Do Doc Brown and Marty McFly fit in Frontierland because they spent the better part of a movie in 1885?

Cinderella may not have worn her gown for most of the movie(s), but it is the climax and then conclusion to her story. It is not a daydream while she is working towards a different goal. It is the end, not a means.

LittleBuford

A simple image search for "Mary Poppins" brings up a lot more images of her in her standard attire. Where exactly does wearing a costume for a portion end as to making a character to fit? Do Doc Brown and Marty McFly fit in Frontierland because they spent the better part of a movie in 1885?

Cinderella may not have worn her gown for most of the movie(s), but it is the climax and then conclusion to her story. It is not a daydream while she is working towards a different goal. It is the end, not a means.
Again, her iconic attire at WDW is her holiday dress. That can’t be overlooked in a discussion of the character’s relevance to the Grand Floridian.

DonaldDoleWhip

Again, her iconic attire at WDW is her holiday dress. That can’t be overlooked in a discussion of the character’s relevance to the Grand Floridian.

Indeed, when you modify the search to "Mary Poppins Disney World," things look different.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 9.15.07 PM.png

James Alucobond

If it is not additive then it is subtractive. It is a distraction from the point being told. You'd get annoyed if you were listening to a story that kept getting stopped for random asides that added nothing to the point.
But it's not even an aside. It's simply a means to selecting paint, fabric, and fixtures, like a mood board. If they had just generically said they were inspired by the tones and patterns of Victorian-era painted pottery instead of mentioning Mary Poppins, would we even be having this conversation? Because that's the vast majority of what they've done in invoking the Royal Doulton bowl sequence.
A simple image search for "Mary Poppins" brings up a lot more images of her in her standard attire. Where exactly does wearing a costume for a portion end as to making a character to fit?
Uh, why shouldn't we consider the Royal Doulton bowl when the designers said that part of the film was a primary source of inspiration?

Sir_Cliff

From what I can tell from the photos, if they hadn't told us it was inspired by Mary Poppins Returns people would just see a floral motif guiding the interior design. It's certainly a lot nicer and more appropriate for the hotel than what was there.

As for the whole Mary Poppins connection, I don't remember people getting so upset about the Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland which seemed to play on the same associations that see the character pop up at the Grand Floridian... and that redo included penguin waiter stained glass windows! Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I sometimes feel that people become so tied to certain principles of theming that they become averse to any looseness for the sake of being fun or entertaining which was always a part of the Disney parks and resorts. A large part of the genius of Disneyland is that the Imagineers managed to throw things together that don't literally make sense as a cohesive time or place, but that read to visitors as all related to one another.

Last edited:

Missing20K

Ya know, Disney now owns an IP set in the Victorian era of the Grand Floridian...

Hello Dolly!

I want dancing waiters at Victoria & Albert's.
Would make far more sense than this. Hello Dolly is quintessentially American.

I’d bet @eddiesoto would be on board with Dolly Levi and crew getting some attention.

Edit: Oh man, when did Eddie leave? Was such a treat having him on the forums.

Missing20K

From what I can tell from the photos, if they hadn't told us it was inspired by Mary Poppins Returns people would just see a floral motif guiding the interior design. It's certainly a lot nicer and more appropriate for the hotel than what was there.
If you can’t tell it’s “inspired by” or “themed to” unless explicitly told, what’s the point?

Missing20K

A large part of the genius of Disneyland is that the Imagineers managed to throw things together that don't literally make sense as a cohesive time or place, but that read to visitors as all related to one another.
I’m of the opinion these two things do not read related to one another. Besides “fancy” Victorianism.

Eh, I’ve belabored my point enough. I’ll leave it be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hello Dolly might have just become part of their catalog, but Hello Dolly is absolutely NOT Disney
Three of the songs from Hello Dolly play on the Main Street BGM loop. So, you'll have to take that up with Disney that they shouldn't use anything related to Hello Dolly in the parks, as they have done for decades. Not to mention one of its songs featured in WALL*E.

Bocabear

Three of the songs from Hello Dolly play on the Main Street BGM loop. So, you'll have to take that up with Disney that they shouldn't use anything related to Hello Dolly in the parks, as they have done for decades. Not to mention one of its songs featured in WALL*E.
Their use of a few songs that they pay for does not make Hello Dolly a Disney property... The same way that those aren't Disney Light bulbs on the buildings or Disney branded faucets in the bathrooms...

LittleBuford

I took you to be joking (and making a point in the process) in your initial suggestion. Were you serious?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Their use of a few songs that they pay for does not make Hello Dolly a Disney property... The same way that those aren't Disney Light bulbs on the buildings or Disney branded faucets in the bathrooms...

If they’re ok with Pixar and Star Wars and Avatar, I don’t see why we can’t have Hello, Dolly!

Not to mention these properties became part of the parks even though Disney did not originate the IP (they were public domain, or Walt purchased the rights,)...

Appropriated Public Domain
Snow White
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
Alice in Wonderland
Swiss Family Robinson
Tom Sawyer
Pinocchio
Sword in the Stone
Jungle Book
Robin Hood
Little Mermaid
Aladdin
Pocahontas
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Princess and the Frog
Rapunzel
Sleepy Hollow

Disney paid money to license
Peter Pan
Mary Poppins
Star Wars, Indiana Jones (before the purchase of LucasFilm)
Twilight Zone
Tarzan
Song of the South
Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Bug's Life, Finding Nemo, Cars, Ratatouille (all Pixar before the acquisition)
Mr. Toad
Dumbo
Bambi
101 Dalmations
The Rescuers
The Black Cauldron
Meet the Robinson
Winnie the Pooh
Big Hero 6
The Fox and the Hound
Roger Rabbit

But ya know... Peter Pan and Dumbo weren't created by Disney, just purchased... so, let's get them out of the park since they're "not Disney."

The_Jobu

Yeah, get rid of the one thing that people liked, an actual orchestra, and replace it with a single pianist that plays on a limited schedule. Cause that’s a great idea… but it’s in alignment with The Grand Californian’s lobby entertainment offerings, so that makes sense. The hotel has always had more to do with California then Florida anyways so why not?

You know, I was watching a bts doc on the London Ritz (not totally fair comparison, but hear me out) and the differences in actual customer service to lip service was amazing. There were 100 examples of staff going to extreme lengths for tiny details, but they were interviewing a night manager and asked him why he bothers to have a pianist in the middle of the night (ladies...) and he said "this is the Ritz, the price people are paying, even if they're coming in for coffee, you never know when it's someone's first time entering the lobby and you've got to make it special".

Meanwhile Disney cuts the beloved Orchestra to save a few thousand a year.

I dunno, makes me think.

lazyboy97o

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I sometimes feel that people become so tied to certain principles of theming that they become averse to any looseness for the sake of being fun or entertaining which was always a part of the Disney parks and resorts. A large part of the genius of Disneyland is that the Imagineers managed to throw things together that don't literally make sense as a cohesive time or place, but that read to visitors as all related to one another.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom