News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

TrainsOfDisney

As for the whole Mary Poppins connection, I don't remember people getting so upset about the Jolly Holiday Bakery Café at Disneyland which seemed to play on the same associations that see the character pop up at the Grand Floridian... and that redo included penguin waiter stained glass windows!
I love the Jolly Holiday Cafe at Disneyland. It doesn’t seem out of place to me at all.

I don’t think this Citricos retheme is out of place either I just don’t understand it.

The complaint I have is that Disney is just slapping IP wherever they feel like it. Incredibles at contemporary, lion king at AKL, Moana at Polynesian and now a weird mix at grand Floridian. I personally liked it when the resorts were an IP to themselves.

The press release also says “you can dine underneath the London Sky” - but it’s just a plain ceiling with fancy chandeliers.... at a resort called the Grand Floridian. I just don’t get it.

Bocabear

They've been playing Hello, Dolly! music in Disney theme parks for 30 years now.

There's a Pixar movie that uses scenes and songs from it to help tell its story.

The movie is now on Disney+

I'd say the connection has been made at this point.
They play a lot of music in the loops that are not Disney...that doesn't mean that Hello Dolly is an established Disney IP...Most people don't even realize those songs on the Main Street Loop are connected to a 1964 Broadway show... Or what it is.

Animaniac93-98

IMO I think the 1990 Disneyland Fun Sing-Along video is where much of this association with Mary Poppins and Main Street comes from. The musical number for Main Street features characters from that movie (and Alice in Wonderland too) and I think that's had a lasting impact ever since, especially for those who watched that video before ever going to the parks.

There may have been other times prior to that where the characters were seen on MSUSA, but they never likely reached as wide an audience as those Sing-Along tapes which were distributed everywhere.

lazyboy97o

I love the Jolly Holiday Cafe at Disneyland. It doesn’t seem out of place to me at all.

I don’t think this Citricos retheme is out of place either I just don’t understand it.
For both Jolly Holiday Cafe and Citricos, what would be the backstory? In their world, how did either end up with these design elements? Did Mary Poppins move to the US to open dining establishments? Do their owners know her somehow?

TrainsOfDisney

For both Jolly Holiday Cafe and Citricos, what would be the backstory? In their world, how did either end up with these design elements? Did Mary Poppins move to the US to open dining establishments? Do their owners know her somehow?
For Jolly Holiday my personal backstory is that the Penguins moved to Disneyland to set up a Cafe like the one in the Jolly Holiday segment.

Citricos.... I’m not sure and it’s hard to say without seeing it in person.

LittleBuford

For Jolly Holiday my personal backstory is that the Penguins moved to Disneyland to set up a Cafe like the one in the Jolly Holiday segment.
I doubt such a backstory would fly (excuse the avian pun) with someone who has a literal-minded view of Main Street USA. Cartoon penguins can’t be allowed to exist, much less run eateries, except perhaps in Fantasyland, which appears to be the favoured dumping ground in this forum for any ideas or IPs that people don’t like.

GimpYancIent

Citricos.... I’m not sure and it’s hard to say without seeing it in person.
1625249502447.png

Bocabear

1900 Park Faire Should be redesigned as Jolly Holiday...It fits the time frame and feel of the resort, makes sense as a venue for character meals, and would be the first of the IP hotel tie-ins that would make complete sense...they don't have to hide the subtlety of it...It doesn't need to be subtle, and a more whimsical interior would suit that space perfectly...
Mary Poppins is not necessary in Citricos or V& A or Narcoosee's...
I don't even mind a little integration of the Mary Poppins theme into some of the larger resort as long as it doesn't become the Mary Poppins Hotel...

TrainsOfDisney

I doubt such a backstory would fly (excuse the avian pun) with someone who has a literal-minded view of Main Street USA. Cartoon penguins can’t be allowed to exist, much less run eateries, except perhaps in Fantasyland, which appears to be the favoured dumping ground in this forum for any ideas or IPs that people don’t like.
I would argue that the hub itself is not part of Main Street USA but borders it.

Main Street is part of Disneyland and seems to know it (Disneyland Transportation for example).

Kkar

Yeah and I prefer the bottom - it's not the decor per se. I'll admit Mizner's was "tiny" and kind of dingy but that was part of the charm to me. Enlarging it was definitely a plus and they desperately need to do the same for Trader Sams at the Poly. I'm not even against the Beauty and the Beast theming (only that A - it sucks compared to Be Our Guest and B - Do we want children to join mommy and daddy at the bar?)
Total pet peeve of mine - kids sitting at the bar. We used to be Mizners regulars (we don't like the Enchanted Rose AT ALL), but would get so discouraged when one or two of the eight bar stools were occupied by children slurping on their lemonades. Meanwhile, we're dressed up for dinner, standing around with our wine or martini's - kind of a mood-killer. I'm even OK with well-behaved kiddo's being brought in with the fam, just please not at the bar.

Missing20K

I should have been more clear.. “Trowbridge” refers to Star Wars Land.
Ahh gotcha. I don’t know Star Wars lingo.

I don’t disagree with you though on number of attractions per land. Spend another few hundred million for an additional A & B or a C+ ride.

Edit: oh he’s an imagineer too. Neat.

lazyboy97o

I love Joe but using a billion dollar land that has 2 attractions is an example of how not to build a good theme park land. Granted, he did a way better job than Trowbridge did as the land is full of life and begs to be explored. But still...
Yes, Walt Disney Imagineering has serious, existential issues with their costs. That though doesn’t negate the underlying design theory, especially since it predates the rapid acceleration of Imagineer’s costs in the last 15 years and is not an exclusive concept.

TrainsOfDisney

Ahh gotcha. I don’t know Star Wars lingo.

I don’t disagree with you though on number of attractions per land. Spend another few hundred million for an additional A & B or a C+ ride.

Edit: oh he’s an imagineer too. Neat.
Yeah Scott Trowbridge was the lead on Star Wars land... before coming to Disney he was the lead on SpiderMan at Islands of Adventure which I personally think is a better attraction than Rise.

I’m fine with spending a little less on fancy rocks and have additional attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom