News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

LittleBuford

Significantly improved for a dated country club with aging members? Yes.

Significantly improved for what we are told is the premier themed entertainment company in the world? No
Did you call for the firing of the team behind the previous scheme? Perhaps you were being hyperbolic, though you seemed pretty serious to me.

During the depression? That’s when the sequel is set.
The point I was addressing was "how even as a character Mary Poppins relates to the hotel" (emphasis added).

Ponderer

You’re still not making any sense. Most of the Victorian styles came from Europe.

It’s not the style that we’re talking about, it’s the entire British experience with butlers and the tributes to British royalty. It’s literally NAMED after British monarchs.

Monarchs in the Grand *Floridian.*

James Alucobond

What’s the story of the restaurant? Asking honestly.
Does the Grand Floridian Café have a story of its own? Should it need to? It's part of the larger fabric of the resort and the story it tells as a whole.
During the depression? That’s when the sequel is set.
Again, Mary is styled as an impeccable quintessential British nanny no matter when or where she appears. The time period of the movie is irrelevant. I imagine they explicitly chose Returns simply because she has more costume changes and wears a wider variety of colors in that film.

Missing20K

Did you call for the firing of the team behind the previous scheme? Perhaps you were being hyperbolic, though you seemed pretty serious to me.

The point I was addressing was "how even as a character Mary Poppins relates to the hotel" (emphasis added).
You realize I have no power over hiring/firing decisions and this is a discussion forum right?

Additionally, had there been a forum to vent such thoughts when the previous scheme was created, I would have bashed it then too.

What about the character relates to the hotel? Victorianism? Bygone Florida coast resorts? London? Britain? Umbrellas for those nasty Florida showers?

Missing20K

Does the Grand Floridian Café have a story of its own? Should it need to? It's part of the larger fabric of the resort and the story it tells as a whole.

Again, Mary is styled as an impeccable quintessential British nanny no matter when or where she appears. The time period of the movie is irrelevant. I imagine they explicitly chose Returns simply because she has more costume changes and wears a wider variety of colors in that film.
Except the larger fabric of the resort is a schizophrenic mess and they had a chance remedy it and instead just added to it. The Cafe is part and parcel of that. I don’t necessarily think the Cafe itself needs a “backstory” but it should fit within the theme. Which I’ve said is a random collection of “fancy” so I suppose it fits the theme “fancy”.

Using a film character’s costume changes as a basis for the design of a themed experience? Ok, I guess.

May I ask what is quintessentially British about the GF?

LittleBuford

Additionally, had there been a forum to vent such thoughts when the previous scheme was created, I would have bashed it then too.
I commend you for being consistent at least (and I mean that sincerely).

What about the character relates to the hotel? Victorianism? Bygone Florida coast resorts? London? Britain? Umbrellas for those nasty Florida showers?
As I said, she resonates well with the theme of early twentieth-century grandeur. Wouldn't you agree?

Missing20K

As I said, she resonates well with the theme of early twentieth-century grandeur. Wouldn't you agree?
The films are about a magical nanny who comes to save the day during dire economic straits….

d18e778c5d8d9345272b6b3bb3e1f47f--randy-jackson-sassy-quotes.jpg

James Alucobond

May I ask what is quintessentially British about the GF?
I described Mary as a quintessential British nanny. Didn't use those same descriptors for the Grand Floridian itself. At any rate, the hotel is Victorian in style, so I don't see why the fashion sensibilities of an atemporal archetypical British character are out of place. The costume designers for Returns even noted that they intentionally referenced late Victorian and early Edwardian fashion because a) her silhouette is indelibly etched in everyone's memories and b) fashion in the 1930s had actually seen a resurgence in many trends from that earlier time period.

Missing20K

I described Mary as a quintessential British nanny. Didn't use those same descriptors for the Grand Floridian itself. At any rate, the hotel is Victorian in style, so I don't see why the fashion sensibilities of an atemporal archetypical British character are out of place. The costume designers for Returns even noted that they intentionally referenced late Victorian and early Edwardian fashion because a) her silhouette is indelibly etched in everyone's memories and b) fashion in the 1930s had actually seen a resurgence in many trends from that earlier time period.
Perhaps I’ll rephrase. Why put a quitessentially British nanny in a resort themed to a bygone Florida coastal resort? Because they had similar styles of fashion? I mean if that’s your rationale, cool. I’m just trying to sus it out.

Missing20K

As I’ve already made clear, I was responding to a question about the Mary Poppins the character. Please at least respond to what I’m saying rather than pretend you don’t understand.
Well if you’d like to use the character and not the film they explicitly say the “inspiration” is derived from, by all means do so. The character is from a book. Shall we use that as the basis instead? To parse the character from Mary Poppins from the Disney produced films seems odd to me considering she is the main character in the films. That might just be me tho.

I will respond more bluntly. No. No I don’t not think the character resonates well with the grandeur of the early twentieth century.

Cherrio!

James Alucobond

Perhaps I’ll rephrase. Why put a quitessentially British nanny in a resort themed to a bygone Florida coastal resort? Because they had similar styles of fashion? I mean if that’s your rationale, cool. I’m just trying to sus it out.
That's pretty much all I've been saying for three pages, so there's very little to "sus out". Her personal style in Returns is entirely compatible with the resort and does not interfere with the overarching theme of the resort when creatively applied to furnishings and accents.
Well if you’d like to use the character and not the film they explicitly say the “inspiration” is derived from, by all means do so. The character is from a book. Shall we use that as the basis instead?
I'd wager the reason they name Returns specifically is because her costumes are much, much more colorful in that film even though they maintain her classic silhouette. Additionally, the Royal Doulton bowl, the other explicitly mentioned part of this inspiration, is exclusive to Returns (and also period-appropriate). They make no other mention of the content of the film other than to quote song lyrics in a silly way.

DonaldDoleWhip

Objecting to the choice or use of IP is one thing, but when you have people insisting that the woman pictured above would look out of place in a fancy early twentieth-century hotel, the purism and naysaying have reached a level of zealotry that makes productive discussion impossible.
Additionally, this very character (and others from classic British literature like Alice and Winnie the Pooh) have appeared at 1900 Park Fare for ages, which somehow hasn't ruined the ambiance.

For those who hate the hotel anyway, none of this should matter.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Additionally, this very character (and others from classic British literature like Alice and Winnie the Pooh) have appeared at 1900 Park Fare for ages, which somehow hasn't ruined the ambiance.

For those who hate the hotel anyway, none of this should matter.
I personally don't hate it, and would love to stay one day but it seems they have been stripping away a few things that a lot of folks enjoyed, i/e. The wonderful jazz band that played for over 30 years there.

DonaldDoleWhip

I personally don't hate it, and would love to stay one day but it seems they have been stripping away a few things that a lot of folks enjoyed, i/e. The wonderful jazz band that played for over 30 years there.
That's a loss, for sure. I also agreed on the first page of this thread that Enchanted Rose was a mistake (maybe Mizner's needed a change, but not that), and then there's the biggest loss of all: stripping the beach that once defined the Grand Floridian Beach Resort.

You have no idea how much I miss this view.

1625176005009.jpeg

In comparison, this will never feel right.

1625176180604.jpeg

Still, it's what we have, and looking at the changes in isolation I think many people will genuinely like what's coming to Citricos. We'll have to see when it opens. The new walkway to MK is also a universal plus.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 2.52.52 PM.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom