News Cítricos to reopen July 15 reimagined to the whimsy and elegance of Mary Poppins Returns

TrainsOfDisney

"Mary Poppins Returns" was a dud, so why the theme a restaurant after it? Why not theme it after the original, very successful Poppins film? OH RIGHT, that film didn't happen during Iger's tenure... :rolleyes:
Yup. Same reason the bar was themed to the live action beast movie and we can’t have Darth Vader in the billion dollar Star Wars land.

James Alucobond

I have to say, having now seen additional photos of the interior since the reopening, more of this is absolutely what I want for the Grand Floridian if the rooms must be redone with IP included. The closest they get to referencing the actual characters is Mary's trademark umbrella and carpet bag in an umbrella stand, plus there's some artwork of Cherry Tree Lane, which is nondescript enough to not be distracting. Otherwise, it's just lighter, brighter, and more colorful with tons of fun Disney details that make each piece of furniture feel more custom and special (metal butterflies on the sconces, lovely tufting on many of the upholstered pieces, corset detailing on the sofas, handbag detailing on the chairs, unique chandeliers, etc.). A vast improvement over the Enchanted Rose in terms of feeling like it fits in with the rest of the resort, and a successful refresh of the tired decor that once adorned this space. While I'm fine with the Floridian rooms as they are now, I totally wouldn't hate seeing this motif extended to them, which is about the highest praise I can give in the era of IP-takeover.

Haymarket2008

I have to say, having now seen additional photos of the interior since the reopening, more of this is absolutely what I want for the Grand Floridian if the rooms must be redone with IP included. The closest they get to referencing the actual characters is Mary's trademark umbrella and carpet bag in an umbrella stand, plus there's some artwork of Cherry Tree Lane, which is nondescript enough to not be distracting. Otherwise, it's just lighter, brighter, and more colorful with tons of fun Disney details that make each piece of furniture feel more custom and special (metal butterflies on the sconces, lovely tufting on many of the upholstered pieces, corset detailing on the sofas, handbag detailing on the chairs, unique chandeliers, etc.). A vast improvement over the Enchanted Rose in terms of feeling like it fits in with the rest of the resort, and a successful refresh of the tired decor that once adorned this space. While I'm fine with the Floridian rooms as they are now, I totally wouldn't hate seeing this motif extended to them, which is about the highest praise I can give in the era of IP-takeover.

Completely agree. This is how to do IP in a resort setting. Enchanted Rose (which I experienced for the first time last week) is a sore thumb in that otherwise glorious lobby.

castlecake2.0

Completely agree. This is how to do IP in a resort setting. Enchanted Rose (which I experienced for the first time last week) is a sore thumb in that otherwise glorious lobby.
I feel like enchanted rose just went a step too far. Citricos looks lovely. Now do the same to grand flo café with a nod to orange bird, get rid of the tired wallpaper in the lobby area, and update the cast costumes and you’ll have a really nice refresh of the main building.

MorphinePrince

I must be dumb as a dirt because I see nothing in these pictures that would give me the slightest idea this is inspired by Mary Poppins Returns :hilarious:

James Alucobond

I must be dumb as a dirt because I see nothing in these pictures that would give me the slightest idea this is inspired by Mary Poppins Returns :hilarious:
They aren't pictured in the press release, but the private dining room has Mary's parrot-headed umbrella and carpet bag in a coat rack with artwork of Cherry Tree Lane on the wall. Everywhere else, the theming is much more subtle, utilizing the textures, colors, and iconography (in the abstract) of Mary Poppins Returns rather than overt props.

durangojim

I didn’t read through the entire thread but I haven’t seen it mentioned that the GF rooms used to have quite a bit of IP in them with Alice in Wonderland and maybe some other IPs

UNCgolf

I didn’t read through the entire thread but I haven’t seen it mentioned that the GF rooms used to have quite a bit of IP in them with Alice in Wonderland and maybe some other IPs

At one point the bedspreads had characters on them, although it was subtle and fit the overall style of the resort.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

The Villas are also more overt with their penguins statue, which I think is one of the nicer touches there (no different than the likes of Ariel having a statue outside Beach Club Villas).

As far as these forced IP integrations go, Victorian-era characters seems like a really natural fit at GF, with some existing history too - you won’t find me complaining if they add more character touches to the rooms.

durangojim

At one point the bedspreads had characters on them, although it was subtle and fit the overall style of the resort.
There were images on the walls to look like bookcases and tea cups and the wallpaper was themed as well in some rooms

gf_guest_rooms.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom