Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

huwar18

While it is really character driven, Pooh ride does at least play around with environment and experiences a little more in the middle with "Getting to bounce with Tigger", the Heffalumps and Woozles trip-out, and floating during the flood.

Frozen doesn't even manage to do that, it's just "Let It Go's a real popular song, let's hear of it fifty times more"

My wife and I rode Winnie the Pooh on our last trip. I have to say, I did not hate it. It was a nice little ride. I completely agree, it is a lot better than Frozen. It goes through some of the more memorable scenes of Winnie the Pooh. Like you said, Frozen is just the song with random scenes.

brb1006

yeah, but neither version even begin to compare with Tokyo's version of the ride, pointing out that they absolutely can do better than what they do for the MK... The Magic Kingdom should be filled with the A+ versions of every ride, not the cliff notes Pirates, the minute and a half long version of Peter Pan, or the downgraded Winnie The Pooh...As the most visited Theme park in the United States, it should have the best!
What I really love about Tokyo's Pooh is that the AA's for some of the Pooh characters are given fur making them look more lifelike and not plastic looking (Especially with Pooh and Owl) and Pooh even flies right over guests. You even feel like you really are inside the Pooh universe.
poohs_hunny_hunt_002.jpg

19283440082_0419d4ac17.jpg

Did I mention how the great the effects for when Pooh falls asleep? That also knocks WDW and DL's Pooh ride out the park. They even had a good transition for when you are leaving his dream.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

What was that video called? I hate how creepy the Ariel animatronics are. Now I know why
I believe Ford is once again bending the truth here.

There was indeed a different and infinitely more ambitious Little Mermaid ride pitched by Tony Baxter and his team. But it's a very old concept from the early 90's, it was planned to be built at Disneyland Paris. It was shelved, I assume due to financial issues with Disneyland Paris as well as major executive changes within the Disney company. Tony Baxter was also effectively put on the bench at Imagineering around this time, restricted from working on most projects and limiting his influence.

The pitch of the ride was released publicly, I believe it was included as a bonus on one of the Little Mermaid DVD releases. Early primitive CGI, but you can get a basic idea of what it was supposed to be-

While I absolutely would have preferred his version of the ride, i've not seen any evidence that it was ever intended for DCA 2.0, or that Orlando leadership had any real influence on any cuts the ride had during development. It really doesn't even fit the narrative that Orlando balked at the cost considering the expense of the much more elaborate queue MK got compared to DCA. I doubt Tony Baxter's pitch was ever seriously considered to be built in the modern era.

Plans for Epcot's Project Gemini during the early-mid 90s also show an overhead map of the Living Seas Pavilion labeled as having a Little Mermaid attraction inside (no actual art, just a blueprint of the park). Obviously never happened (Project Gemini was never fully realized thankfully), but that's the only other Mermaid concept i've heard of.

And there's this early concept art (don't know who got a hold of this or how) of a somewhat different exterior for the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X02JzgA81NE/TqGSN9xtjuI/AAAAAAAAAA0/ClNU7I3QSyg/s1600/WDWLM1.jpg

brb1006

There was indeed a different and infinitely more ambitious Little Mermaid ride pitched by Tony Baxter and his team. But it's a very old concept from the early 90's, it was planned to be built at Disneyland Paris. It was shelved, I assume due to financial issues with Disneyland Paris as well as major executive changes within the Disney company. Tony Baxter was also effectively put on the bench at Imagineering around this time, restricted from working on most projects and limiting his influence.
Yeah it was on the bonus features.
The pitch of the ride was released publicly, I believe it was included as a bonus on one of the Little Mermaid DVD releases. Early primitive CGI, but you can get a basic idea of what it was supposed to be-

While I absolutely would have preferred his version of the ride, i've not seen any evidence that it was ever intended for DCA 2.0, or that Orlando leadership had any real influence on any cuts the ride had during development. It really doesn't even fit the narrative that Orlando balked at the cost considering the expense of the much more elaborate queue MK got compared to DCA. I doubt Tony Baxter's pitch was ever seriously considered to be built in the modern era.

Plans for Epcot's Project Gemini during the early-mid 90s also show an overhead map of the Living Seas Pavilion labeled as having a Little Mermaid attraction inside (no actual art, just a blueprint of the park). Obviously never happened (Project Gemini was never fully realized thankfully), but that's the only other Mermaid concept i've heard of.

And there's this early concept art (don't know who got a hold of this or how) of a somewhat different exterior for the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X02JzgA81NE/TqGSN9xtjuI/AAAAAAAAAA0/ClNU7I3QSyg/s1600/WDWLM1.jpg

Nmoody1

I don't see the need for another food offering in Adventureland.

FWIW, I think the Tomorrowland Terrace is a rather unique restaurant that I would not want changed, from a physical standpoint. Menus can and will change, of course, but I'd hate to lose its physical uniqueness.

Bengal BBQ would be nice!

Shame we don't have anything like that out east!

sublimesting

The remains of the Tropical Serenade aka The Enchanted Tiki Room (aka a Top 10 Fanboi nostalgia lovefest) looks like it is about to fly the coop for good.

According to multiple sources, the attraction, which saw a reprieve a few years ago when it went back to a shortened version of the original 1971 show from the poorly received Under New Management update following a fire that damaged the facility, is on the chopping block and very, very likely to leave.

At this point, I will only call this a rumor (but the gondola system is a rumor and happening, the Rat ride at EPCOT is only a rumor and is happening, the Speedway removal is a rumor and is happening, the new DVC at CBR is a rumor and is happening and the Star Wars themed BOUTIQUE resort experience is a rumor and is most definitely happening).

As to what will replace it, that is unclear at present and one source even suggests it could remain with a new Stitch overlay reusing the pricey AA just like TDL has, but I don't see that.

And with other plans for Adventureland percolating, and Disney having no care for its past beyond shilling merchandise and D23 events and the like, I would expect Jose and Fritz and Company to fly away for good in the near future.
All I can see replacing it would be another slow, sit down attraction because it has no footprint to accommodate anything else. I can't see Stitch being a bigger draw. I fear they would just fritter this away with something like the Capt. Jack experience they had at HS.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You are correct it was originally intended for DLP,

But it WAS pitched for Anaheim and Orlando. Once again TDO yelled and screamed about the price.

It was due to TDO's malign influence that Tony Baxter was benched because he kept pitching 'expensive' quality attractions.

This is no different than 7DMT where WDI pitched an E-ticket version with longer track and more show scenes. But TDO insisted on the Barnstormer version.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
It's a shame we don't have half the good food in the Magic Kingdom that Disneyland has.
Not sure what you mean. What does DL have besides Blue Bayou, Carnation Café, Rancho del Zocalo, River Bell Terrace and maybe Café Orleans as compared to Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Skipper Canteen, Liberty Tree, Diamond Horseshoe, Plaza and Tony's? While I agree that MK is my least favorite park to eat in, there is much more available.

shernernum

Not sure what you mean. What does DL have besides Blue Bayou, Carnation Café, Rancho del Zocalo, River Bell Terrace and maybe Café Orleans as compared to Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Skipper Canteen, Liberty Tree, Diamond Horseshoe, Plaza and Tony's? While I agree that MK is my least favorite park to eat in, there is much more available.
While there are more table service options at WDW, the quality of the QS at Disneyland is IMHO much higher overall. Be Our Guest has helped, but it is nearly impossible to get into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom