Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Biff215

What if they made it into a dining experience? Still have the Tiki Birds but make a new show or add some amazing effects for guests to enjoy, kind of like the Rainforest Cafe

(I say this because the Rainforest Cafe is my favorite restaurant...go easy on me.)
I don't know that it's large enough to be a restaurant, unless it was very expensive and exclusive, although Club 33 is reported to go elsewhere.

ABQ

CastleBound

I think you have to look at it frim the perspective of when it was built. It was cutting edge in its day. I still watch it in amazement with all the coordinated parts. I guess for todays generation it needs 3D glasses and a screen to be interesting.
Exactly this! I find excitement in how technical it all is and how many layers there are just to get it to all work together. Same thing with something like Small World. It may be dismissed as "kiddie" or "boring", but there is something about the inner workings that make attractions like these impressive to me. The amount of moving parts really fascinates me. Also, the storm that rolls in outside the Tiki Room, has always been one of my favorite things to see in MK.

KBLovedDisney

I don't know that it's large enough to be a restaurant, unless it was very expensive and exclusive, although Club 33 is reported to go elsewhere.
I could see them refurbishing the queue area as the gift shop/entrance to the restaurant and then adding additional rooms...it could happen.

ABQ

Exactly this! I find excitement in how technical it all is and how many layers there are just to get it to all work together. Same thing with something like Small World. It may be dismissed as "kiddie" or "boring", but there is something about the inner workings that make attractions like these impressive to me. The amount of moving parts really fascinates me. Also, the storm that rolls in outside the Tiki Room, has always been one of my favorite things to see in MK.
Same here, plus the fact that you are so close to the animatronics, especially the tiki columns. The first time my GF turned over her shoulder to see blinking eyes looking back at her, she practically jumped out of her skin, but cannot wait to watch it again.

Fable McCloud

It is a shame you will never be able to see the whole original show with the enchanted fountain and the full Offenback number...It was a very sweet show that current audiences would not sit through... The current running show is shorter and the original fountain was gutted when they put in the Stitch overlay for Uh-Oah

This is why I'm so glad that there are Youtube videos. I may not ever get to see the original show in person, but at least there is some record of it that exists. :)

Bocabear

I could see them refurbishing the queue area as the gift shop/entrance to the restaurant and then adding additional rooms...it could happen.
No...just...No.
This location is already landlocked...there is no room to add any additional anything...unless they extended through the service corridor and ate up Tortuga Tavern... But we already have added the Jungle Navigation Company restaurant, another dining location in Adventureland is not needed...The theater is not large enough nor is it the right scale for restaurant service.

KBLovedDisney

No...just...No.
This location is already landlocked...there is no room to add any additional anything...unless they extended through the service corridor and ate up Tortuga Tavern... But we already have added the Jungle Navigation Company restaurant, another dining location in Adventureland is not needed...The theater is not large enough nor is it the right scale for restaurant service.
Good point. I didn't consider land space. If anything, I hope they don't get rid of it. That is why I say if turning it into a dining experience was the only way to keep it around, then so be it. (Just praying they don't pull a Mission Space with this one...)

tirian

Actually they could just freshen up some of the in-theater effects and make it a little more... exciting and it would be fine... The theater is beautiful and the show is completely unique...That said, I would rather them create a new show using the existing theater and birds etc, than have it go away or become a dining room... That was my very favorite thing as a kid...from the first time I saw it in 1971...it was a wow . The whole pavilion was... The pre show with it's flames and magic waterfall, the Sunshine Tree Terrace with it's Ornge tree canopy of acrylic leaves and animatronic Orange Bird...even the lights had moving diffusers to look as though sunshine wereshining through the leaves of the tree...It was beautiful, and sadly gone... I hope they can at least save the soul of this beautiful placemaking attraction.
Despite having today's technology at its disposal, WDI simply layers its projects in rockwork.

Back in the 70s and 80s, the company layered primitive FX to create some astounding set pieces. From the Orange Bird's thought bubbles at the Sunshine Pavilion to the cannons firing atop POTC, to the multilayered animatronics and projections at EPCOT Center, old-school WDI somehow pulled off more impressive set design than today's attractions.

Compare the sets and poses of Pan to Frozen. In PPF, the sets envelop you and the simple figures are shown in action. In Frozen, the sets are off to the sides and almost all the figures stand in static clipart positions, despite being real animatronics. Skating Olaf is impressive, but too bad he's showcased among painted flats.

tirian

I wonder how many people would cry foul if I said I'm glad Ford doesn't make the Model T anymore because the technology doesn't provide nearly the experience of a mustang.
Everybody wants something better if it's actually an improvement.

"New" doesn't necessarily equal "better" (e.g. Imagination #2 and #3).

"Different" doesn't necessarily mean "worse" (Test Track 1 vs. 2).

"Original" doesn't mean "untouchable" (HM's superb updates).

"Technologically advanced" doesn't mean "better narrative" (SSE '94 vs '08).

I don't know anybody who wants WDW to always be a Model T experience like a museum piece (to borrow a frequently misquoted Walt-ism), but I know plenty of people who want to keep the innovative mindset that produced Model Ts...and jet engines...and spacecraft.

The Mustang and Ford Pinto both came after the Model T.

@marni1971 and @WDW1974 might be able to better weigh in on the Tiki changes.

FigmentJedi

Compare the sets and poses of Pan to Frozen. In PPF, the sets envelop you and the simple figures are shown in action. In Frozen, the sets are off to the sides and almost all the figures stand in static clipart positions, despite being real animatronics. Skating Olaf is impressive, but too bad he's showcased among painted flats.
There's a Tony Baxter quote from the book Mouse Under Glass that talks about a Robin Hood ride they never did.
Whether it’s a good movie or not is beside the point. It’s a movie that’s characters, there’s no atmosphere in it. I call it ‘sticks and stones and rocks and leaves’. First you have the stone walls outside the castle, then the stone walls inside the castle, then the leaves in the forest, that’s it. There are no exotic environments, you just have all these scenes with Robin meeting Friar Tuck, then Robin meeting Little John, then Robin meeting Maid Marian. That’s when I figured it out: the rides are about exotic places not characters. The best attractions are where you suddenly find yourself in a jewel mine or flying over London
Frozen Ever After is just "ice and snow and rocks and leaves"

asianway

Actually they could just freshen up some of the in-theater effects and make it a little more... exciting and it would be fine... The theater is beautiful and the show is completely unique...That said, I would rather them create a new show using the existing theater and birds etc, than have it go away or become a dining room... That was my very favorite thing as a kid...from the first time I saw it in 1971...it was a wow . The whole pavilion was... The pre show with it's flames and magic waterfall, the Sunshine Tree Terrace with it's Ornge tree canopy of acrylic leaves and animatronic Orange Bird...even the lights had moving diffusers to look as though sunshine wereshining through the leaves of the tree...It was beautiful, and sadly gone... I hope they can at least save the soul of this beautiful placemaking attraction.
Speaking of there's a sunshine tree leaf on eBay right now

FigmentJedi

Wow that is so true... Mr Toad had zany seetings from the country mansion and gypsy camp to the crazy town square... Winnie The Pooh has sticks and leaves... again just characters...
While it is really character driven, Pooh ride does at least play around with environment and experiences a little more in the middle with "Getting to bounce with Tigger", the Heffalumps and Woozles trip-out, and floating during the flood.

Frozen doesn't even manage to do that, it's just "Let It Go's a real popular song, let's hear of it fifty times more"

Jones14

There's a Tony Baxter quote from the book Mouse Under Glass that talks about a Robin Hood ride they never did.

Frozen Ever After is just "ice and snow and rocks and leaves"
That also helps explain the success of Pandora. Glowing forests, floating mountains, and sweeping views of oceans and valleys lend themselves well to fun rides. River Journey's biggest complaint, too, (besides length, but I have that complaint about most rides) is its sameness in that it relies entirely on the forest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom