News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I agree with this completely. But remember TOT WAS a brand. Its not POTC and HM. It was based on a TV show most people might know but never watched. But also why it was easier to get rid of. I don't think they can for rides like POTC or HM because its the rides are intricately tied to those lands and have been around decades.
Well sure, but it wasn't a new, hot-at-the-moment brand when it was introduced. It already had decades of life behind it.

fctiger

The term “staying relevant” should not be applied to Disney theme parks which feature turn of the century streets and medieval castles.

Sorry but I disagree with this completely. Stuff changed in the parks ALL the time even when Walt Disney was around and he was only around for a decade. I get what you mean in terms of branding, but stuff can still feel outdated and irrelevant. TL is the perfect example of that by its theme alone. The subs felt like a joke when I first rode them in the 80s. There was stuff in that park, especially Frontierland, that would not be acceptable today historically, so they changed it.

I get what you mean in general, but not everything goes down as a classic just because the ride lives in a certain era. And yes audiences change so you have to change to stay relevant. And the beauty of Disney is that they have and why we are still here. I don't mean in terms of adding movie rides, just the type of attractions they build in general. The DL of 1955 would be pretty boring for today's audience.

Last edited:

fctiger

I'd be for that, Ant-Man's Adventure Thru The Quantum Realm.

LOL me too! In fact the quantum realm is basically what ATIS was any way, just more 'educational' I guess. I would love an adventure ride exploring that side of Marvel and with the technology they have now, that would be amazing!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
LOL me too! In fact the quantum realm is basically what ATIS was any way, just more 'educational' I guess. I would love an adventure ride exploring that side of Marvel and with the technology they have now, that would be amazing!

Actually, just to precise, ATIS stopped at the molecule. It never went into the Quantum Realm, which in Marvel is beyond the molecular realm and can lead into another plane of existence.

fctiger

Actually, just to precise, ATIS stopped at the molecule. It never went into the Quantum Realm, which in Marvel is beyond the molecular realm and can lead into another plane of existence.

So even better! I saw the sequel last week and they delved into it again but not as much as I hoped. In the comics, there are even cities there. So they could do a lot with it ride wise, even ride the same vehicle they had in the movie.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry but I disagree with this completely. Stuff changed in the parks ALL the time even when Walt Disney was around and he was only around for a decade. I get what you mean in terms of branding, but stuff can still feel outdated and irrelevant. TL is the perfect example of that by its theme alone. The subs felt like a joke when I first rode them in the 80s. There was stuff in that park, especially Frontierland, that would not be acceptable today historically, so they changed it.

I get what you mean in general, but not everything goes down as a classic just because the ride lives in a certain era. And yes audiences change so you have to change to stay relevant. And the beauty of Disney is that they have and why we are still here. I don't mean in terms of adding movie rides, just the type of attractions they build in general. The DL of 1955 would be pretty boring for today's audience.

The old Disneyland will always change argument. Well no duh it's changed. Stuff that didn't work was replaced by bigger and better things that have stood the test of time. There's a difference though between changing things which didn't work and shoehorning an IP into an existing ride is a desperate attempt to cash in on the name. The current Disney company has no balls anymore to give us something original.

fctiger

The old Disneyland will always change argument. Well no duh it's changed. Stuff that didn't work was replaced by bigger and better things that have stood the test of time. There's a difference though between changing things which didn't work and shoehorning an IP into an existing ride is a desperate attempt to cash in on the name. The current Disney company has no balls anymore to give us something original.

It's not an argument, it's a fact. You don't like the type of changes, I get it, I don't like them all either. But if they work, then they are doing something right. DCA seems to be busier than ever these days.

And sorry but if you seriously think replacing a cheap kiddie land that had literally carnival rides in it is somehow a better fit than a land with with rides people above the age of 10 can ride and modern attactions this kind of says it all.

ABL was also an IP shoehorned into the park in desperate attempt to cash in on the name. Which is also why these arguments are just weird. You're basically complaining Disney is getting rid of of their IPs for another one although ABL didn't fit the theme anymore than people claim Marvel does. And one people actually care about Marvel. As much as people claimed they loved ITTBAB I bet it was hardly ever more than half full. Last time I went it was 20 people in the theater. Is that 'standing the test of time' to you? What exactly is the argument then? Its the exact same thing. Its surprising ABL lasted as long as it did.

I could understand TOT and agree with people who hated to see it go for GOTG. That, we're in complete agreement with your premise. But with ABL, its not even a debate for me.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

It's not an argument, it's a fact. You don't like the type of changes, I get it, I don't like them all either. But if they work, then they are doing something right. DCA seems to be busier than ever these days.

And sorry but if you seriously think replacing a cheap kiddie land that had literally carnival rides in it is somehow a better fit than a land with with rides people above the age of 10 can ride and modern attactions this kind of says it all.

ABL was ALSO an IP shoehorned into the park in desperate attempt to cash in on the name. Which is also why these arguments are just weird. You're basically complaining Disney is getting rid of of their IPs for another one although ABL didn't fit the theme either. And one people actually care about. What exactly is the argument then? Its the exact same thing. Its surprising ABL lasted as long as it did.

I could understand TOT and agree with people who hated to see it go for GOTG. That I agree with your premise. But with ABL, its not even a debate.

Respectfully disagree. I believe the parks have a place for a kid-themed area like ABL or ToonTown. These are rides that can be enjoyed by the whole family, including the smallest members. I thought Flick's Fun Fair was charming and immersively themed. I loved the touches like the lightening bug lights and the popsicle stick benches. Anyone who has come to the parks with young kids know the joy of this area, as well as the necessity. And Gadget's Go Coaster ROCKS!!! (I just wish it was longer).

fctiger

Respectfully disagree. I believe the parks have a place for a kid-themed area like ABL or ToonTown. These are rides that can be enjoyed by the whole family, including the smallest members. I thought Flick's Fun Fair was charming and immersively themed. I loved the touches like the lightening bug lights and the popsicle stick benches. Anyone who has come to the parks with young kids know the joy of this area, as well as the necessity. And Gadget's Go Coaster ROCKS!!! (I just wish it was longer).

I never said they didn't! They can always A. Build a kids area (and a better one) somewhere else or B. Include more kids rides in other lands like moving the spinner to Pixar Pier for example. In fact I think it would be a smart move to build a bigger kids area in that part of the park, especially now that they have the Pixar theme. It would work great over there. The issue is DCA doesn't have the land DL does so of course they are going to expand the lands that are the least popular.

ABL was nice for what it was, but it was always just a quick fix to a very bad park. I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did. As I said, its been around for how long? And they never expanded or changed it in any way. It was a stagnant area because no one cared enough about it. Kind of like TT but at least that has Rodger Rabbit to keep that area alive for awhile. But DL still have the room as SWL proved!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

ABL was also an IP shoehorned into the park in desperate attempt to cash in on the name. Which is also why these arguments are just weird. You're basically complaining Disney is getting rid of of their IPs for another one although ABL didn't fit the theme anymore than people claim Marvel does. And one people actually care about Marvel. As much as people claimed they loved ITTBAB I bet it was hardly ever more than half full. Last time I went it was 20 people in the theater. Is that 'standing the test of time' to you? What exactly is the argument then? Its the exact same thing. Its surprising ABL lasted as long as it did.

I could understand TOT and agree with people who hated to see it go for GOTG. That, we're in complete agreement with your premise. But with ABL, its not even a debate for me.

I’m not even talking about Bugs Land, you goof. lol You were talking about DL and how it had to change with the times. Good thing they replaced that old castle and mountain with something more hip and edgy.

fctiger

I’m not even talking about Bugs Land, you goof. lol You were talking about DL and how it had to change with the times. Good thing they replaced that old castle and mountain with something more hip and edgy.

LOL if they did that then obviously I would agree with you! C'mon. I didn't say ANY changes. I'm talking about changes that they think will be progress for the park. SWL is that example.

And everything is subjective, right. I will give you a great example and where I argued just like you are now. When IASW decided they wanted to add Disney characters to the ride, this was 10 years ago now (wow). I was livid over the idea! I wrote post after post how it was wrong, it went against what Walt Disney was portraying, Disney was just pushing more IPs, it was sacred, etc, etc, etc. I went on multiple rants about it for about a year lol. Many people agreed with me of course, but others were telling me its not a big deal, its just a way to get kids to identify with the attraction, blah, blah, blah. They honestly sounded like sell outs to me (I never said that though...I didn't want to get banned).

And you know what, they were right! I honestly thought (at the time) there would be so much outrage about it for so long that in time Disney would change it back to normal. It never happened of course and now when I take my kids and nephews they love it! All the old foogey's like me who was yelling and screaming its the end realized it worked because you never hear about it today. Ever. Believe me it was a big deal at the time. But people adapt and people like us here only look at things through a certain prism. I just don't do that anymore and I stopped doing it after that.

Now none of that means EVERYTHING they do is legit. But I now look at these things through my family eyes who don't spend a minute on the internet discussing theme parks. We were at DL for four days a few weeks ago, they loved it as much now as they always have. Not a single complaint about Pixar Pier. We had such a good time we all now have Aps after not having them for six years (since CL opened). But we only go to the park once a year and we live 25 mins away. Theses 'controversies' only live on the internet. My mother has been going to that park since the first year it opened. She loves all the changes. But she also loved DCA when it opened, so not the best judge of character there lol. In other words, I take these things a lot more in stride now. I guess I turned into my mother.

Now that said, if they replace the Castle for Stark Tower, that will probably rile up a few more people than just the internet. ;)

Last edited:

TROR

Cancel Marvel land. Get rid of Mission Breakout. James Gunn is a scumbag and Guardians of the Galaxy is dead.

Anyways, saw Ant Man 2 the other night. Super cute and wholesome movie but I can't remember much but the post credit scenes. Taking Star Tours tech and making a ride exploring the Quantum Realm would make a lot of sense so I fully expect a Captain America simulator.

britain

Cancel Marvel land. Get rid of Mission Breakout. James Gunn is a scumbag and Guardians of the Galaxy is dead.

Anyways, saw Ant Man 2 the other night. Super cute and wholesome movie but I can't remember much but the post credit scenes. Taking Star Tours tech and making a ride exploring the Quantum Realm would make a lot of sense so I fully expect a Captain America simulator.

Remarkably wholesome, and yet managed to avoid the 'PG' kiss of death rating somehow.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Well aren't you the just a little ray of sunshine on the internet today. ;):p:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom