News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Phroobar

No, but something clearly isn't insanely successful in this day and age when its not in demand all year.

On a personal note, I do hope Magic Mountain continues to improve. I saw so much potential back in the late 80's early 90's, but then they regressed and almost lost the park. They need to bring back non-coaster/thrill experiences and their Justice League shooter is a step in the right direction.
Well we are getting that new pendulum ride this summer. It is going where the old haunted monorail station was so that is a good thing. However next year we are getting a huge coaster. I'm hoping it replaces most of Cyclone Bay area.

VJ

The Disneyland Resort forum is way more laid back. I just got scolded over in a WDW thread by a poster who mistook my banter for complaining. I don’t fault the poster at all; the tone in those forums is more literal and strict and I misread the room. I guess I’ve been hanging around here too long!
That's why I tend to hang out here rather than over there. You guys get me. :D

Daveeeeed

This will be without a doubt a lot better for DCA than A Bug's Land. But I do have to wonder why a third park wouldn't have been entirely Marvel. A world's fair type park like EPCOT, but done all around Marvel would be outstanding. Anyway, besides it most likely not fitting California, I'm still really excited!!

fctiger

This will be without a doubt a lot better for DCA than A Bug's Land. But I do have to wonder why a third park wouldn't have been entirely Marvel. A world's fair type park like EPCOT, but done all around Marvel would be outstanding. Anyway, besides it most likely not fitting California, I'm still really excited!!

Everyone says this but its easy to just say "why don't they build another theme park somewhere' vs the money, logistics and time it would take to do it.

I mean look at all the headaches they are having just trying to build a new parking lot off property. It became such a problem trying to appease both the city and properties around them the eastern expansion project was cancelled and it was a parking lot.

They couldn't even try to build a new hotel somewhere and chose to plop that ugly monstrosity that is coming in front of DLH because its probably less of a headache and they have complete control of it on property. Building it off site would probably create more issues.

Trying to build a third park in an already condensed area while still trying to get the second gate park up to Disney standards is a pipe dream. Its not WDW, the infrastructure around Anaheim is already a nightmare. Trying to put in another park somewhere would take a long, long time. My guess is by the time Avengers 12 arrive in theaters and who wants to wait that long?

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Everyone says this but its easy to just say "why don't they build another theme park somewhere' vs the money, logistics and time it would take to do it.

I mean look at all the headaches they are having just trying to build a new parking lot off property. It became such a problem trying to appease both the city and properties around them the eastern expansion project was cancelled and it was a parking lot.

They couldn't even try to build a new hotel somewhere and chose to plop that ugly monstrosity that is coming in front of DLH because its probably less of a headache and they have complete control of it on property. Building it off site would probably create more issues.

Trying to build a third park in an already condensed area while still trying to get the second gate park up to Disney standards is a pipe dream. Its not WDW, the infrastructure around Anaheim is already a nightmare. Trying to put in another park somewhere would take a long, long time. My guess is by the time Avengers 12 arrive in theaters and who wants to wait that long?

Avengers 12. So that's like...mid-2021?

Old Mouseketeer

P.S. I liked A Bug's Land. I think it was a smart move. An even smarter move would have been to obliterate Superstar Limo and Stage 12 and build Rockin' Roller Coaster just before or after ToT.

fctiger

P.S. I liked A Bug's Land. I think it was a smart move. An even smarter move would have been to obliterate Superstar Limo and Stage 12 and build Rockin' Roller Coaster just before or after ToT.

I like RNRC, but it does feel a little dated at this point. But I guess they could've built something similar with a new theme. But that is the problem with HL in general, there is no real direction to that place. The best attraction there was TOT by far and now that's gone.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

I like RNRC, but it does feel a little dated at this point. But I guess they could've built something similar with a new theme. But that is the problem with HL in general, there is no real direction to that place. The best attraction there was TOT by far and now that's gone.

I just don't have a problem with Guardians. It's fun. I enjoy it. ToT was a really good ride (like it better in FL). The thing is, I like cohesiveness and immersion up to a point. I think Lasseter went overboard with Condor Flats, first with tearing down the radar tower and the jet plane flying out of Taste Pilots Grill, then with redressing the area as Grizzly Peak. Frankly, I think it was a waste of money. In fact, were it not for the proximity of GCH, I would have put Maliboomer there as ejection seat training.

I find the idea of PIxar Pier gimmicky and a step backward towards Six Flags Over Anaheim. But I don't lose sleep over it. Frankly, I dislike Guardians at Epcot and the hodgepodge additions to TDS more. In fact, I'm more concerned about all the shoehorning of attractions into small access ways, DL Indy being the worst. The impact on Pirates and NOS is major. DL has become more of an urban hardscape than an actual park. Tomorrowland is probably the worst with the massive infills for Astro/golden rocks, Rocketrod underground queue hump/expansion of TL Terrace seating, Autopia, and Captain Eo theater (the worst).

OK, I'm rambling. I should try to go back to sleep.

fctiger

I just don't have a problem with Guardians. It's fun. I enjoy it. ToT was a really good ride (like it better in FL). The thing is, I like cohesiveness and immersion up to a point. I think Lasseter went overboard with Condor Flats, first with tearing down the radar tower and the jet plane flying out of Taste Pilots Grill, then with redressing the area as Grizzly Peak. Frankly, I think it was a waste of money. In fact, were it not for the proximity of GCH, I would have put Maliboomer there as ejection seat training.

I find the idea of PIxar Pier gimmicky and a step backward towards Six Flags Over Anaheim. But I don't lose sleep over it. Frankly, I dislike Guardians at Epcot and the hodgepodge additions to TDS more. In fact, I'm more concerned about all the shoehorning of attractions into small access ways, DL Indy being the worst. The impact on Pirates and NOS is major. DL has become more of an urban hardscape than an actual park. Tomorrowland is probably the worst with the massive infills for Astro/golden rocks, Rocketrod underground queue hump/expansion of TL Terrace seating, Autopia, and Captain Eo theater (the worst).

OK, I'm rambling. I should try to go back to sleep.

I admit I really like the changes to Condor Flats. I think the desert theme felt a bit too redundant after CL so it made sense to change it. That said it wasn't a big deal if they kept it but the changes to Grizzly Peak has been an idea literally since 2007. They been wanting to change it for years now.

And yes I was one of those people who was totally against GOTG: MB...until I rode it lol. Now I really like it. I still miss TOT in some ways (and it was probably my top 3 ride in DCA and top 10 in the resort) but I can admit GOTG is a more fun ride and probably way more relevant to most people who ride it. Few people under 50 cares about the Twilight Zone anymore so it makes sense to change it. But I just wish they at least waited until Marvel land came around to feel more cohesive. But that's also why I'm happy ABL is going away because now that is happening.

I admit I don't have a big issue with Pixar Pier, but mostly because I felt the pier in general was Six Flags in design. Now its Six Flags with popular characters. Not all of it obviously, TSM is a great ride. Screamin was one too but it still felt like a Six Flags ride. I really like the Incredicoaster but they definitely went cheap on it in areas. But I don't have a problem with changing it to Pixar Pier and its probably a decent move now that ABL is gone.

As for your other arguments and shoehorning certain rides some I like and some I don't. I think you bring up a great point with TDS, which is still my favorite park but I agree with you. But I also understand why its done. End of the day most people want the cartoon and movie stuff. It is sad that the few parks that tried to do something different like Epcot, TDS and even DCA (to a degree) couldn't feel more unique in that sense but my guess the lines gets longer and the merchandise sells better when its characters people already know and love. I use to point to TDS to all the people who hated the brand stuff as a park that defies all of that and still super popular. That was proof not everyone is doing it but I can no longer say that lol. And TDR is not even owned by Disney, but OLC. Its just a trend they see has more staying power so they follow unfortunately. But I still love it though. These are all still amazing parks but branding is the in thing now more then ever.

(And as you can see I can ramble too lol)

Last edited:

fctiger

Disagree that it’s more fun. Also, of course GotG is “relevant”, it’s a current popular movie. Doesn’t mean they should’ve changed the ride.

Well of course not everyone will agree. I was really only talking about myself. I didn't think I would love it as much as I did. Now I do. I just love how intense it is and the music just fun.

I still would've been fine if they kept it as TOT though but its clear it was a smarter decision to go in. The lines are longer and its no doubt the merchandise sells more. But I do think TOT/GOTC is still divisive for a very good reason so I don't blame people who still miss TOT. That was one of the last few rides that defined the California theme. Those are now going away faster than popcorn buckets.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The term “staying relevant” should not be applied to Disney theme parks which feature turn of the century streets and medieval castles.
I love how Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and other decades old attractions are still "relevant" today. Shows what can happen when you don't shackle your attraction's theme to what's latest in the box office. But what do I know?

Curious Constance

I love how Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and other decades old attractions are still "relevant" today. Shows what can happen when you don't shackle your attraction's theme to what's latest in the box office. But what do I know?

Are you saying Disney could still be in business AND making money if they only designed unique attractions that didn't have anything to do with movies or cartoons?! Waaaahhh!?

fctiger

I agree with this completely. But remember TOT WAS a brand. Its not POTC and HM. It was based on a TV show most people might know but never watched. But also why it was easier to get rid of. I don't think they can for rides like POTC or HM because its the rides are intricately tied to those lands and have been around decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom