News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

mickEblu

Unless of course they are redoing all of TT to have you basically enter the queue of this attraction as you go under the bridge. And then exit into a smaller version of TT. Since this appears to be a major project anyways, they might as well redo all of TT.

This of course would mean Roger goes away. But to be honest other than the queue, the ride itself is not a great loss to me.

We should be taking this into the Railway thread.

I don’t think so. There needs to be some breathing room into the land. Walking into an attraction under the bridge would be odd. The rumor is it’s going North of Toontown where the rehearsal building is. I don’t think they would go out of their way to provide thematic consistency for one attraction. Just look at GOTG:MB. I think the solution I proposed a few posts ago would be a much more simple and cheaper solution although slightly less effective.

You bite your tongue on Roger! I may only ride if once a year but it’s in my Top 5 movies of all time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t think they re going to change the art style of the attraction but I also don’t think they ll change the style of the land either.
I don’t think so. The rumor is it’s going North of Toontown where the rehearsal building is. I don’t think they would go out of their way to provide thematic consistency for one attraction. Just look at GOTG:MB. I think the solution I proposed a few posts ago would be a much more simple and cheaper solution although slightly less effective.

You bite your tongue on Roger! I may only ride if once a year but it’s in my Top 5 movies of all time.

Yes the rumor is the show building itself is going north of TT. But the rumor doesn't mention placement of the queue or how the rest of TT may change with it. So it really depends on if the overall land is going to get an overhaul. Especially since they'd probably want to enclose part of the land to allow for use during fireworks. Additionally the recent rumors have included that the reason TT has been left to rot in recent months is because this large scale project is just around the corner.

GotG was different because it was to be the start of an overhaul of the land around it. Unfortunately the overhaul has been delayed by one issue after another. From what I gather it wasn't meant to be this standalone attraction for this long. Like I keep saying the Eastern Gateway being cancelled really screwed up plans for DCA.

mickEblu

Yes the rumor is the show building itself is going north of TT. But the rumor doesn't mention placement of the queue or how the rest of TT may change with it. So it really depends on if the overall land is going to get an overhaul. Especially since they'd probably want to enclose part of the land to allow for use during fireworks. Additionally the recent rumors have included that the reason TT has been left to rot in recent months is because this large scale project is just around the corner.

GotG was different because it was to be the start of an overhaul of the land around it. Unfortunately the overhaul has been delayed by one issue after another. From what I gather it wasn't meant to be this standalone attraction for this long. Like I keep saying the Eastern Gateway being cancelled really screwed up plans for DCA.

Ya who knows. I just don’t see how the land would be configured with the Mickey ride entrance being right under the bridge. I also don’t think they want to spend that much money right after SWL and before Marvel. I just don’t think they see it as a huge priority. A refresh yes, but not any land reconfiguration to the degree you re proposing. I could see them getting rid of Chip n Dales/ Gadgets... which is probably necessary.

As far as GOTG, I know it wasn’t supposed to be a standalone this long but the fact that they were willing to let it be a standalone for 2-3 years is telling.

KABOOM!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ya who knows. I just don’t see how the land would be configured with the Mickey ride entrance being right under the bridge. I also don’t think they want to spend that much money right after SWL and before Marvel. I just don’t think they see it as a huge priority. A refresh yes, but not any land reconfiguration to the degree you re proposing. I could see them getting rid of Chip n Dales/ Gadgets... which is probably necessary.

As far as GOTG, I know it wasn’t supposed to be a standalone this long but the fact that they were willing to let it be a standalone for 2-3 years is telling.

KABOOM!

Well priorities changed when Eastern Gateway was cancelled. Prior to it being cancelled I would have agreed with you, that a full redo of TT would not have been a priority. But now things are different. While it appears they are still moving forward with Marvel, just now in phases, a full land isn't coming until 2022/2023 (maybe longer) from what I gather. So other projects are coming online earlier than expected. If what TPs nice neighbor lady is saying is true, we could be seeing the attraction in the 2020/2021 time frame. Which means I wouldn't be surprised to see movement toward demo/construction start this Jan/Feb/Mar, as most of SW:GE will be completed by then.

Which BTW, with all these priorities and projects changing could mean a TL redo might be slated earlier than expected as well. But that is just my thoughts not an actual rumor.

NateD1226

I'm glad the Railway is going in Toontown. It's a great area that needs some love- and a new E Ticket attraction. would be a draw to that side of the park.
Me too! I really think ToonTown needs something new and exciting and not just a Minnie wall.
Minnie-Wall.jpg

DisneyLostBoy03

Haven’t heard a word on that over drinks. They seem to be excited about Mickey’s Runaway Railway slotted in on the north side of the park now.

Nope. That movie and character never came up, it was more about how the Avengers mega-coaster was sent back to the drawing board which puts the whole Marvel Land timeline years later than it was supposed to be. A one-two punch of the Eastern Gateway put on ice, then the Avengers coaster sent back to the designers for a full rethink, equals a scramble to Plan B with nothing to take attention off of Star Wars until the early 2020’s.

I went and saw the new Antman movie just this evening with younger family, and it was surprisingly good. A fun summer family flick!
Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is my most anticipated attraction to be completely honest, more than Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I know, call me crazy. I am a huge Mickey Mouse fan and have been waiting for a dark ride for him for a long time. Still hoping that it would be confirmed to be coming to Disneyland in Mickey's Toontown. Any new updates on it by the ways?

NateD1226

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is my most anticipated attraction to be completely honest, more than Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. I know, call me crazy. I am a huge Mickey Mouse fan and have been waiting for a dark ride for him for a long time. Still hoping that it would be confirmed to be coming to Disneyland in Mickey's Toontown. Any new updates on it by the ways?
I agree with you! I haven't heard any updates about it but I'm guessing they won't announce it til D23 2019.

DisneyLostBoy03

I agree with you! I haven't heard any updates about it but I'm guessing they won't announce it til D23 2019.
Makes sense if they waited to announce it next year. LOVE the art style of the cartoons and this attraction I believe is going to pull off the guests being inside a cartoon much better than Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, mostly for the new technology being used for it. Don't get me wrong. Roger Rabbit is a phenomenal ride and one of my top favorites at the parks, but it's been needing an Alice or Peter Pan type update. Just by adding this ride and giving Roger Rabbit a refresh would be well deserved for Mickey's Toontown.

NateD1226

Makes sense if they waited to announce it next year. LOVE the art style of the cartoons and this attraction I believe is going to pull off the guests being inside a cartoon much better than Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, mostly for the new technology being used for it. Don't get me wrong. Roger Rabbit is a phenomenal ride and one of my top favorites at the parks, but it's been needing an Alice or Peter Pan type update. Just by adding this ride and giving Roger Rabbit a refresh would be well deserved for Mickey's Toontown.
What I think Disney should do it wait to see the reactions of the people in WDW. If it is really good, they should bring it to ToonTown! Create a new path to go in the area where that coaster is and the queue is Mickey and Minnie's house. Then the rest of the land is the new show building.

Old Mouseketeer

Is the rehearsal hall just for the visiting school groups? Or all of the Disney entertainers.

I've had friends in DL entertainment since the '70s. The building in question has two rehearsal halls and two recording studios. The rehearsal halls are big enough to rehearse a show for the Hyperion or FL Theater (they may have to open the airwall for Hyperion). It's been some years, but I visited the building with a guest performing group (so I don't remember all the details). But friends have told me they hold auditions for all kinds of performers year-round (I remember coming to a christmas parade audition when I was in 8th grade held in a tent off West St. about where the entrance approach to M&F is now--I made it to "final two" for Mowgli--LOL). They even record in-park announcements for special events, including when your school's marching band marches down Main St. prior to the afternoon parade.

I've been told that they make money from Disney Performing Arts programs--I knew someone who used to manage that department (before they programmed it to run on automatic and replaced him with entry level workers making minimum wage). I used to sing in a church choir under a future Director of Entertainment at WDW and also two long-time directors of Candlelight at DL and WDW. So I have several decades of insight into Entertainment at the parks.

Disneylover152

So if the new Mickey ride is going to be in Toon Town is it going to use the same questionable art style or will they change it to something that would fit the current TT aesthetic? Serious questions.

I think the better question is if the Mickey Ride in Hollywood Studios relies on the Chinese Theatre for its backstory, then how will it fit into Toontown?

EDIT: Whops, just realized someone already mentioned this. Probably should read the entire thread before commenting on something :)

Ismael Flores

What I think Disney should do it wait to see the reactions of the people in WDW. If it is really good, they should bring it to ToonTown! Create a new path to go in the area where that coaster is and the queue is Mickey and Minnie's house. Then the rest of the land is the new show building.

that sounds like a great idea only problem is that if they waited that ling by the time they fhad nished construction here it might not have the same draw.

they did the same thing with muppets and ITTbAB. yes thise were 3d movies but were very popular when they opened in WDW. by the time they copied them in DCA they ran with almoat emoty theaters.

mickey runaway railroad is going to have pota of projections hopefully it really wows and that the foundations of the ride allows them to give it reprogrammed scenes to keep it fresh.

now if only they would do that for Midway Mania

Old Mouseketeer

Getting rid of that structure makes so much sense. Half of that “roof” is actually a canopy over open space. Totally expendable.

They could also always adjust the layout for the mickey ride (maybe multileveled) to fit into that spot.

Not accurate. The building in the overlay is NOT the building with the studios and rehearsal hall. You can just see that building on the far left of the overlay graphic and the patio used by performing arts groups isn't even 1/4 of that building. The main entertainment building in the overlay is approximately three times the size of the rehearsal/studio building.

It's theoretically possible to move the main entertainment building. But it would require a major overhaul of the back-of-house area. They would have to relocate all of the ride maintenance facilities off-site. This means trucking all ride vehicles needing maintenance across city streets. They could also reduce the size of the main warehouse building in the Northwest corner, but I'm decades out of date as to how merchandising operates. I know they truck merchandise in daily from the Ontario warehouse and load it into the delivery trailer pods, but I have no idea how much real estate is required. Finally, they could move some TDA offices off-site, but I think it would be negligible--maybe around 20%. Finding a way to incorporate the Eat Ticket cafe into a larger multi-story building would make a lot of sense.

All in all, they would need to have a pretty compelling reason to do any more shuffling of the backstage areas. After the upheaval of SW:GE I would be inclined to give it at least 5-10 years. YMMV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom