News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Magic Mountain must be doing pretty good then. It is open 365 days, has great park maintenance and has one of the best dark ride shooters in the country. Customer service is still pretty bad though but it's getting better.
They also just got a new president, so stuff is happening. I should know. I pass MM every day on the way to work.

TragicMike

I can imagine TROR watching in horror as all the classic Disneyland rides around him become swallowed up by IP's. Space Mountain becomes a Wall-E coaster, Haunted Mansion gets a permanent Coco overlay, Matterhorn turns into Anna and Elsa's Bobsled Adventure...

He chains himself to Disneyland's entrance to protest the ribbon-cutting of Disneyland's Railroad turning into Doctor Strange's Portals through Lands attraction only to be greeted by Bob Chapek stepping through a billion-dollar portal telling him:

In time you will know what it's like to lose. To feel so desperately that you're right, yet to fail all the same. Dread it. Run from it. Destiny still arrives.

Stevek

People respond to quality. Of course Disney can build whatever they want, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD, nor does it mean what they build is good. Put in effort and build something like Cars Land, and guests will respond. Build junk like MB or Pixar Fest and you won’t see the same results (limited time merch notwithstanding).

I’m shocked that so many here believe the design philosophies of WDI from the early 1950s through the late 1990s is out of date or obsolete. Immersive storytelling and richly detailed thematic environments aren’t things that go out of style.

I'm not saying they are obsolete, I'm just saying Disney has chose to go down a different path. I would be perfectly happy if WDI built highly immersive attractions like Pirates & Mansion today. Disney can still do that, and maybe they believe that MB and Pixar Fest fit that bill whether we agree or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In Santa Clarita? Magic Mountain, before this year, was only open about 250 days per year.

So? Something is trash because it's not open all year?

Six Flags MM and Great Adventure each as much as one third the number of people that go to Uni's Islands of Adventure and that's with seasonal closings. For what it is, it's very successful.

shortstop

Six Flags MM and Great Adventure each as much as one third the number of people that go to Uni's Islands of Adventure and that's with seasonal closings. For what it is, it's very successful.
No, but you made the claim that Six Flags limits its operation calendar due to weather. I’ve never been to a Six Flags so I pass no judgment.

shortstop

I'm not saying they are obsolete, I'm just saying Disney has chose to go down a different path. I would be perfectly happy if WDI built highly immersive attractions like Pirates & Mansion today. Disney can still do that, and maybe they believe that MB and Pixar Fest fit that bill whether we agree or not.
I agree Disney has gone down a different path. All I (and many others) am saying is I don’t like that path.

DanielBB8

“Immersive storytelling and richly detailed thematic environments“ have splintered in different directions. You can’t keep imitating real locations with a Disney version over and over again. How many times have Venice been done? Disney already done it twice with one at Tokyo DisneySea and another at Epcot. Disney wasn’t able to create immersive E-Ticket attractions for them. TDS has a canal gondola ride and Epcot’s Italy has no attraction.

The present direction is single IP lands that was pioneered by Universal’s Wizarding World. This approach will continue. Then there’s the minimal IP overlay of Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, and the announced Donald Dinoland in Animal Kingdom.

mickEblu

I thought you guys might be interested to know that the image of the alien popcorn bucket I posted happened to be message #666. Take that for what it’s worth.

Pixar Fest is the DEVIL.

EDIT: Whoooaaaa this is getting weird. I happened to have 66% battery when I took the screenshot too.

7E2F08D2-1964-4477-875F-B356D79A7866.png

shortstop

I thought you guys might be interested to know that the image of the alien popcorn bucket I posted happened to be message #666. Take that for what it’s worth.

Pixar Fest is the DEVIL.

EDIT: Whoooaaaa this is getting weird. I happened to have 66% battery when I took the screenshot too.

View attachment 281453
This makes me think we need to get some of our lurkers out of hiding.

@Wespionage we don’t bite!

Phroobar

The Disneyland Resort forum is way more laid back. I just got scolded over in a WDW thread by a poster who mistook my banter for complaining. I don’t fault the poster at all; the tone in those forums is more literal and strict and I misread the room. I guess I’ve been hanging around here too long!
They are pretty uptight there. Don't even think about insulting the disco Yetti.

Professortango1

No, but something clearly isn't insanely successful in this day and age when its not in demand all year.

On a personal note, I do hope Magic Mountain continues to improve. I saw so much potential back in the late 80's early 90's, but then they regressed and almost lost the park. They need to bring back non-coaster/thrill experiences and their Justice League shooter is a step in the right direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom