News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

Stevek

Of course not. That doesn’t mean anything goes.
Who decides "what goes" anymore? The fans? If so, many of them certainly keep telling Disney that whatever they are doing is ok. The reality is that the thinking behind what created Disney parks in 1955 isn't really relevant 60+ years later. The model has evolved and will continue to evolve whether some of us "die hards" care/like it or not.

TROR

Of course it does. It's called DISNEYland not Hansland, or TRORland, or Shortstopland. They are running these places to be tailor-made for what we think makes the best Disney theme parks. The Walt Disney Company can and will do whatever it pleases with its parks as long as the public continues to respond positively to what it offers.
You mean you'd be cool with tearing down SBC and replacing it with a giant Groot?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Quite a few who absolutely hated the idea of the revamp and changed their tune once they rode it. I wouldn't put them as being pro-Disney hacks.

But, go ahead and float a conspiracy theory that Disney controls reviewers. If you believe that, take a look at the reviews for A Wrinkle in Time.

I would. Liking and enjoying M:BO is fine but from the amount of praise certain questionable people spewed out you would think that WDI built the greatest thing since POTC.

We’re talking about Disney theme parks and the fanatics that line up for the newest shiny junk. Different crowd.

Last edited:

shortstop

Who decides "what goes" anymore? The fans? If so, many of them certainly keep telling Disney that whatever they are doing is ok. The reality is that the thinking behind what created Disney parks in 1955 isn't really relevant 60+ years later. The model has evolved and will continue to evolve whether some of us "die hards" care/like it or not.
Of course it does. It's called DISNEYland not Hansland, or TRORland, or Shortstopland. They aren't building these places tailor-made for us. The Walt Disney Company can and will do whatever it pleases with its parks as long as the public continues to respond positively to what it offers.
People respond to quality. Of course Disney can build whatever they want, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD, nor does it mean what they build is good. Put in effort and build something like Cars Land, and guests will respond. Build junk like MB or Pixar Fest and you won’t see the same results (limited time merch notwithstanding).

I’m shocked that so many here believe the design philosophies of WDI from the early 1950s through the late 1990s is out of date or obsolete. Immersive storytelling and richly detailed thematic environments aren’t things that go out of style.

D

Deleted member 107043

People respond to quality. Of course Disney can build whatever they want, that doesn’t mean they SHOULD, nor does it mean what they build is good. Put in effort and build something like Cars Land, and guests will respond. Build junk like MB or Pixar Fest and you won’t see the same results (limited time merch notwithstanding).

But custormers ARE responding positively to Pixar Fest, and at this point it's pretty much a guarantee that Pixar Pier will be well received.

I’m shocked that so many here believe the design philosophies of WDI from the early 1950s through the late 1990s is out of date or obsolete.

I think what is being said is that those philosophies are not the last word in theme park design. At least that's what I'm saying.

Californian Elitist

Y'all ever think about how, if Disney had the same fanbase it does now in 2001, DCA would've been a smash hit from the beginning?

Yep. Lack of quality is what many fans go for nowadays. ‘Tis a shame, really.

If Disneyland were built today, we wouldn’t have Mansion, Pirates (not the way it is now), Tiki Birds, Matterhorn, Jungle Cruise, and many others attractions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm just going to say, quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Someone can look at a Rembrandt and say its a masterpiece. Or someone can look at it Jean-Pierre Yvaral and say I don't get it. Art, which a lot of the purists feel Disneyland is, is very subjective and is always changing just like Disneyland.

shortstop

But custormers ARE responding positively to Pixar Fest, and at this point it's pretty much a guarantee that Pixar Pier will be well received.

I think what is being said is that those philosophies are not the last word in theme park design. At least that's what I'm saying.
I don’t disagree. But Disney didn’t become the kings of the theme park industry by playing it safe and cheap. They’re aiming to please the easy-to-please crowd. Do you think the people who love MB/Pixar Fest/etc. wouldn’t like an original and innovative attraction? Of course they would!

TROR

Someone can look at a Rembrandt and say its a masterpiece. Or someone can look at it Jean-Pierre Yvaral and say I don't get it. Art, which a lot of the purists feel Disneyland is, is very subjective and is always changing just like Disneyland.
I can acknowledge it as art, but it's art that's ugly as

shortstop

Mmm I don’t know if I can say quality is subjective. Of course, people can have different preferences, but quality is quality. Someone might prefer a McDonald’s burger over a steak from a 5 star restaurant. That’s fine, they can like what they like, but there’s no arguing McDonalds is higher quality than the 5 star restaurant.

mickEblu

Just because someone purchases an alien popcorn bucket, wears it around his neck for 2 days and takes it on Indiana Jones does NOT mean Pixar Fest is well received!

D

Deleted member 107043

Yes, and Six Flags is still in business. Does that mean putting out garbage is what's right?

It’s “right” if that’s what Disney wants to do. You seem to be implying that Disney lowering the bar is immoral.

mickEblu

49B295F8-3E0B-4679-A418-5F1202D20D3A.jpeg

D

Deleted member 107043

I don’t disagree. But Disney didn’t become the kings of the theme park industry by playing it safe and cheap. They’re aiming to please the easy-to-please crowd. Do you think the people who love MB/Pixar Fest/etc. wouldn’t like an original and innovative attraction? Of course they would!

No one is saying that they wouldn’t, but surely you agree that the current strategy has been wildly successful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom