Buffet Meal - Can someone with Lapband Surgery eat on the child menu?

kverdon

Original Poster
Hi,

We have a question from a friend of ours. She will be coming to WDW with her mother next year. Her mother has had the Lap Band Surgery and as such can only eat small meals. Our friends like to eat at Boma's and Crystal Palace. What they want to know is if her mother accompanies them to these buffets and presents her medical card for proof of the surgery, could she eat off the child's menu. It would be physically impossible for her mother to eat an adult meal at the buffet and as such should should not be charge a full adult price. Having her eat at the child price seems right. Is there a Disney Policy for this?

Thanks,

Kevin and Mona

tigsmom

Since it is a buffet she can choose what she wants and eat as much or as little as she wants. She will still have to pay the adult price though, sorry. She may be able to order from the children's menu at other restaurants or, like many other people do, just get an appetizer or share a dish with somebody in the party.

Lucky

There are a lot of people who don't eat much for all sorts of reasons. The solution: don't to go to an all you can eat buffet. Go somewhere where you can order off a menu.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I have lapband myself (down 70 pounds! :sohappy:) and I have booked a couple of buffet meals. I'm paying the adult price and know it may not be 'worth' it, but I'll be fine.

The Mom

Premium Member
When I was pregnant, I couldn't eat meat. (It made me sick just to think about it.) I went to a buffet anyway, knowing I would only eat a tiny bit of fruit and vegetables, because everyone else wanted to go. I was on a special diet (GD) so couldn't eat any carbs or sweets, couldn't have anything but milk or water, so couldn't even make up the value of an adult charge in other areas.

Some adults, especially the elderly, just don't eat very much. And I don't think WDW could force you to produce a doctor's note to prove that you can't eat, so would have to take everyone's word for it. Even if someone doesn't eat, the characters still have to be paid.

It's not like a wheelchair or ECV rental, where WDW is making money, or even like the GACs, because WDW isn't losing any revenue by providing them.

I guess you could argue that WDW will lose money if your grandmother doesn't eat there at all, but this restaurant is usually so crowded that it wouldn't be an issue. Now, if they did away with a children's rate for children, it would lessen the crowds considerably, and they would start losing money.

urbanvegan

Being that I eat vegan, I am not partaking in many of the buffet options when at a buffet. None of the meats, cheeses, desserts, etc. which are arguably the most costly items on offer. Still have to pay full price though. Although I can eat like a horse, especially after a race - so that may justify the cost. Post-Marathon dinners at Boma - I think I eat my own body weight.

Perhaps buffet restaurants aren't your best choice. :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
When I go to buffets I eat a handful of chicken nuggets and some Mac N Cheese and pay the same as everyone else. :wave:

xxliz28xx

Not true. I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago and I have been a repeat customer at multiple buffets; Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Boma, Cape May Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, etc., and I always paid the children's price. My doctor gave me a business card with my name written on it saying I had the surgery. It also says "Please let the above patient choose a kids meal or a smaller portion." I show it to the waitresses, who show it to their managers, and I get the children's price. Never been a hassle. I can't miss out on my character dining. :)

tigsmom

Not true. I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago and I have been a repeat customer at multiple buffets; Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Boma, Cape May Cafe, 1900 Park Fare, etc., and I always paid the children's price. My doctor gave me a business card with my name written on it saying I had the surgery. It also says "Please let the above patient choose a kids meal or a smaller portion." I show it to the waitresses, who show it to their managers, and I get the children's price. Never been a hassle. I can't miss out on my character dining. :)

Then you have been lucky that you have dealt with compassionate managers as that is not the norm. Anybody can bring in a card, but how do they monitor what you eat at a buffet? A plated meal is another issue altogether.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

I have one of those cards as well, but I'm on the DDP so I'm not worried about the cost of my meals. Now if I was paying out of pocket, then I'd try to use my card.

slappy magoo

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask - after all, there's nobody watching kids who pay the kids price at a buffet to make sure they don't take adult foods. It's just assumed that they won't eat as much, and that they'll probably prefer only eating kids' foods. So if a kid paying kids prices has access to adult foods, MAYBE, a manger presented with a doctors' note will allow an adult to pay kids price for a buffet, assuming they'll only eat about as much as a kid. But I certainly wouldn't plan my meal budget around it, at all. Feel free to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Club Cooloholic

Will they let you get away with it...sure. But to show a card that says, I couldnt find any other way to control my eating and so I got surgery to correct so now can I pay a cheaper price? That's abusing peoples kindness, and doesn't say much about yourself.
There is also a chance that you still eat more that other people.

tigsmom

Kid's prices vs adult's prices... it's not the types of foods eaten, it's the amount of food. Most (notice I said most) kids eat much less than an adult so they pay less. If they want ribs and broccoli instead of mac 'n cheese and chicken fingers nobody is going to stop them (nor the other way around for adults). Same goes for the desserts.
Should Disney make provisions for adults with small appetites or those who cannot eat large amounts in one sitting? :shrug: That is another discussion altogether.

Lucky

Should Disney make provisions for adults with small appetites or those who cannot eat large amounts in one sitting? :shrug:
It already does. At most TS and all CS anyone can order off a menu a reasonable amount of food at a reasonable price. It's asking a lot to say that the buffets should also somehow be adapted for people who don't want to eat a lot. They're designed for people who want to eat a lot, and no one is forced to go to them. There are plenty of other places to eat.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Will they let you get away with it...sure. But to show a card that says, I couldnt find any other way to control my eating and so I got surgery to correct so now can I pay a cheaper price? That's abusing peoples kindness, and doesn't say much about yourself.

:zipit::zipit::zipit::zipit:

:brick::brick::brick:

Edit: I can't be quiet on this one...

Exactly who are you to judge?? Yes, I'm overweight, yes it's 99% MY fault, yes I chose to have surgery to control my 29 years of bad eating habits. I'm sorry that I'm not perfect and holier than thou but get over yourself. People have weightloss surgery for a MYRIAD of reasons...

Just like the evil ECV debate, do NOT judge me because I've had surgery...

How dare you...

People like you are the reasons many people keep quiet about their surgeries. I'm extremely open, & honest about having lap band, and defensive of my fellow lap-banders.

tigsmom

It already does. At most TS and all CS anyone can order off a menu a reasonable amount of food at a reasonable price. It's asking a lot to say that the buffets should also somehow be adapted for people who don't want to eat a lot. They're designed for people who want to eat a lot, and no one is forced to go to them. There are plenty of other places to eat.

Uhm...we eat at the buffets and we are not gluttons. :rolleyes:

slappy magoo

Wow, that is truly refreshing. Far too often, you find people who are considerate of others, who will take that moment to ask themselves "am I writing something cruel and unnecessarily stupid" before hitting the submit button. Whereas others look at the words "impulsive" and "repulsive" and see apples and oranges, you, pjkdog, see nothing but 2 shiny juicy cramp-inducing apples. Kudos. Kudos to you and your utter lack of shame, and your needless contempt for others. Were it not for you, there'd be no need for this. :rolleyes:

firedog31

Exactly who are you to judge?? Yes, I'm overweight, yes it's 99% MY fault, yes I chose to have surgery to control my 29 years of bad eating habits. I'm sorry that I'm not perfect and holier than thou but get over yourself. People have weightloss surgery for a MYRIAD of reasons...

How dare you...

People like you are the reasons many people keep quiet about their surgeries. I'm extremely open, & honest about having lap band, and defensive of my fellow lap-banders.
I was going to say something about the above comment but you said it perfect. If it's what you want to do who cares what people say!

bayoumoon

How dare you...

Bravo!! Could not have said it better myself. Shame on those who look down on those who ARE trying!

The Mom

Premium Member
It's very easy to judge other people when you've never been in their situation.

I have a SIL who has always been very thin. She was always talking about how all overweight people had to do was eat less and exercise more.

She has a disease that has made her lose even more weight, and she is now dangerously thin. (yes, you can be too thin.) She is having difficulty increasing her intake, despite her doctor telling her that she has to eat more or she could die!

She complains that she just can't "eat more and exercise less" (because she has fallen and sustained multiple injuries) as it makes her feel awful. I just pointed out that people who eat more often do so because they feel bad (physically) if they don't, and breaking a long time lifestyle pattern is more difficult than it appears, even if you know you are jeopardizing your health by continuing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom