Buffet Meal - Can someone with Lapband Surgery eat on the child menu?

Lucky

Uhm...we eat at the buffets and we are not gluttons. :rolleyes:
I'd put myself in the same category. But they are all you can eat, and priced accordingly.

By the way, if someone wants to attend a character meal but not eat anything (e.g. Grandma comes along just to see the kids' reactions to Tigger et al.) you can ask about this. Some of them may charge just $5 or so for the privilege.

Club Cooloholic

First off, it does effect me because insurance has to pay for this surgery and it costs 45,000 and up...so it does effect my wallet...but I guess there are benifits too to someone getting it that help alleviate other health issues that could be costlier than the surgery itself.
Second, I was really talking about someone who is willing to ask for a lower price for their meal. I find that pretty galling and I am surpised so many of you don't considering you like to attack parents who try to get 3 year olds into the parks for free, and teens in for kids prices. Please tell me the difference? Why not so holy now? Oh because it insults you? Well sorry but if your actually trying to pay for a KIDS price that is ridiculous. There is a kids price because kids tend to eat simpler things, chicken nuggets etc. I think it disgusting that someone would try to get a cheaper price, by using medical card, which by the way is probably given so that the person does not try to overeat and get sick from a regular meal.
I think if you want to have a surgery that's fine, but tell me where what I said was a lie? You would have to have no shame to try to use a card in that manner. Go ahead and jump all over me, I find it hilarous how hypocritical many of you are though, after jumping all over parents trying to save money, people parking in the wrong lots, and god forbid someone from another country(Brazil).

tigsmom

I know a few people who have had lap banding and another who has had gastric bypass. They have no cards asking for smaller portions (or lower prices). It is up to the individual to make the lifestyle change that is needed (and it's a huge change). Small meals on a more frequent basis than need to be balanced to get all the nutrition they need, figuring out just how to get in adequate fluids to stay hydrated and the daily exercise... these surgeries are not a magic pill , so to speak, to cure obesity. They do, however, have a huge effect on diabetes (type 2)... it's being considered a "cure" as it almost immediately eliminates the need for medication and blood levels come back to a near perfect as you can get. Shall I even mention the daily side effects that these people have to live with?

The people I know have both succeeded and failed at the challenge of losing/maintaining weight. I know some who are very happy and another who became terrible ill and had to have the band removed. One was turned down when they asked for a reduced price at a buffet because they couldn't eat much. :shrug:

We can argue until times get better, but there isn't an easy solution so let's all just live & let live.

LetsGoAgain

If I had a stomach virus or something and still planned to eat just a little I would still expect to pay the adult price. I am an adult so I pay the adult price. I don't see how there is a gray area here and I am really surprised to hear that people actually have cards like that.

If Grandma had a feeding tube or something and just wanted to enjoy the experience with the family, I wouldn't see a problem with that would would hope Disney would aid in accommodating. When we were dining at Akershus there was a boy with a feeding tube there with his mother and father. I hope and also doubt they had to pay for him and am glad he got to experience the characters.

The Mom

Premium Member
First off, it does effect me because insurance has to pay for this surgery and it costs 45,000 and up...so it does effect my wallet...but I guess there are benifits too to someone getting it that help alleviate other health issues that could be costlier than the surgery itself.
Second, I was really talking about someone who is willing to ask for a lower price for their meal. I find that pretty galling and I am surpised so many of you don't considering you like to attack parents who try to get 3 year olds into the parks for free, and teens in for kids prices. Please tell me the difference? Why not so holy now? Oh because it insults you? Well sorry but if your actually trying to pay for a KIDS price that is ridiculous. There is a kids price because kids tend to eat simpler things, chicken nuggets etc. I think it disgusting that someone would try to get a cheaper price, by using medical card, which by the way is probably given so that the person does not try to overeat and get sick from a regular meal.
I think if you want to have a surgery that's fine, but tell me where what I said was a lie? You would have to have no shame to try to use a card in that manner. Go ahead and jump all over me, I find it hilarous how hypocritical many of you are though, after jumping all over parents trying to save money, people parking in the wrong lots, and god forbid someone from another country(Brazil).

It's not what you said, but how you said it. If you read the posts, most people were in agreement that adults should not ask for a child's price at a buffet as it is the one situation where you have complete control over your portions, and if you eat less than others, either through choice or circumstance, you knew that going in.

A sit-down restaurant is very different, because often the children's menus are different, or just smaller portions, which the restaurant has control over.

But you didn't have to insult a whole class of people, especially those who have tried but failed at "just eating less." (you do understand that this surgery is a last resort, and is life threatening - but so is not losing the weight?)

It was a legitimate question, and I believe MOST people answered it without attacking anyone.

rsgbsg2002

All these people keep debating over whether or not an adult with a surgery that makes it impossible for them to eat more than a handful (unless they stretch their stomach out over a period of years causing potential death) should get to pay the child's price while at a buffet.

They don't choose to eat less, they must. I'm very sorry, but this is not up for debate. If you say that they choose to eat less, then you are so horribly wrong that it's just sick and a little research before you talk wouldn't hurt anyone involved.

Comparing it to getting a young child in to the parks for free? Well, they really are over the "free" limit. No surgery made them grow up. Surgery to help you from death is slightly different than aging a year, and maybe it should be viewed as such.

Lastly, I applaud the people that WANT to pay the child's price. You see, knowing how little these people eat, there is nothing stopping them from eating that aforementioned handful and then complaining that they feel nausea (because half the time, many people do feel sick after meals so there's no lie there). Then they could get it for free! Like ANY other adult that ate that much. So if everyone wants to talk about how shameful it is that they get a discount for physically not being able to eat more than a small child no matter how much they really want to, just remember that they don't have to pay at all if they really were scamming. They're just trying to make things fair.

Club Cooloholic

Actually Mom, there seemed to be quite a contingent thinking it was perfectly normal to ask for this discount and I think it might have gotten more lap banders thinking of getting those cards. Having a lap band is not something to necessarily be ashamed of, but to try to get child's meal price at a buffet does bother me.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Lastly, I applaud the people that WANT to pay the child's price. You see, knowing how little these people eat, there is nothing stopping them from eating that aforementioned handful and then complaining that they feel nausea (because half the time, many people do feel sick after meals so there's no lie there). Then they could get it for free! Like ANY other adult that ate that much. So if everyone wants to talk about how shameful it is that they get a discount for physically not being able to eat more than a small child no matter how much they really want to, just remember that they don't have to pay at all if they really were scamming. They're just trying to make things fair.
First off, welcome to the boards. :wave:

I'm sorry, a bit confused by what you're saying here. Are you trying to state that people can complain of being nauseated after a meal and they won't have to pay for the meal they just ate? I worked in food service for a few years in college and never heard of this.

A hair, overcooked meat, etc are something that can be proven (there is at least physical evidence), whereas a stomach ache or feeling like you'll be sick is all but impossible to prove.

Sorry, not really wanting to argue, but I just don't see your logic. I've never heard of anyone telling management before they left a restaurant that they feel sick (not because the food was bad, but because of quantity ingested) and gotten their meal free.

:shrug:

Lucky

For the 3rd and last time....NO ONE FORCES ANYONE TO GO TO AN EXPENSIVE ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET. There are dozens of TS restaurants and dozens of CS locations in WDW where you can order small amounts of food off the menu and pay far less than you'd pay at a AYCE buffet. So what exactly is the problem?

Club Cooloholic

Your not making much sense...I have left plenty of meals feeling "sick" because I ate too much, but that was MY fault, nobody puts a gun to anyones head and says how much of something you can and can't eat.
How would giving someone a child's price for a buffet help keep them from eating too much...ITS A BUFFET they themselves control how much they eat regardless of the price. And last I looked the point of the surgery was to make you feel a little "sick" when you eat even small portions..it's called being full.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Your not making much sense...I have left plenty of meals feeling "sick" because I ate too much, but that was MY fault, nobody puts a gun to anyones head and says how much of something you can and can't eat.
How would giving someone a child's price for a buffet help keep them from eating too much...ITS A BUFFET they themselves control how much they eat regardless of the price. And last I looked the point of the surgery was to make you feel a little "sick" when you eat even small portions..it's called being full.

Sorry you didn't think I was making sense. I was attempting to understand if the person I quoted actually thought someone could get a free meal from saying they felt sick or like they were going to throw up - which I find ridiculous.

Never did I state my stance on the arguement you're trying to make. :wave:

The Mom

Premium Member
Actually Mom, there seemed to be quite a contingent thinking it was perfectly normal to ask for this discount and I think it might have gotten more lap banders thinking of getting those cards. Having a lap band is not something to necessarily be ashamed of, but to try to get child's meal price at a buffet does bother me.

Had THIS been your post in the first place, most of us would not have been offended. ;) And I agree; most people understand that it's a single price for adults, regardless of how much, or how little, you eat.

As I mentioned earlier, many people have health problems that limit their food choices, but would never ask to pay a child's price. You either go, knowing you will be "wasting" money, or plan to eat elsewhere. My husband and I don't like paying for buffets, because we just don't eat that much. We tolerate them at weddings, etc but if we have a choice, we'll order off a menu.

Club Cooloholic

Mom,
Guess I should have been a little less callous with the first post. When I read the title to this thread I was suprised that anyone would even think of asking such a thing...but then again, that is what a forum is for, to ask things you can't ask anywhere else.
To be honest I just got back from a trip having the DDP and I often felt sick, because the portions are often humongous and I almost never order dessert so it's probably the first time I can remember eating a dessert every night. If disney wants to help all of us trying to control our eating they should give us the option of a soup or small salad to substitute a dessert, I think they might even save some money.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree with you on that point, also. It would never even occur to me to ask for a child's price, or even a child's menu, unless there was absolutely nothing for me to eat on the adult menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom