Buffet Meal - Can someone with Lapband Surgery eat on the child menu?

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with you on that point, also. It would never even occur to me to ask for a child's price, or even a child's menu, unless there was absolutely nothing for me to eat on the adult menu.

Agreed 100% Mom. I've had 'the card' in my wallet for a year and I have yet to try and use it. I'm going to Disney, I know the portions are HUGE and I want my character dining/buffet options and no way am I'm going to ask for the child's price. :shrug: That's just me though.

This is the last year I'm going to use the DDP though, even if it's free because I just can't eat that much food anymore. Going forward it's going to be DDE for me :sohappy:

Lucky

If disney wants to help all of us trying to control our eating they should give us the option of a soup or small salad to substitute a dessert, I think they might even save some money.
The problem there is that if some but not all in a party sub an app (even a small one) for a dessert, it becomes a 3-course meal and they don't turn as many tables.

Club Cooloholic

True. But cup of soup or small salad would be tough to split, and both of those dishes can be put together and served by the waiter(unless french onion soup).

First off, it does effect me because insurance has to pay for this surgery and it costs 45,000 and up...so it does effect my wallet...but I guess there are benifits too to someone getting it that help alleviate other health issues that could be costlier than the surgery itself.
Second, I was really talking about someone who is willing to ask for a lower price for their meal. I find that pretty galling and I am surpised so many of you don't considering you like to attack parents who try to get 3 year olds into the parks for free, and teens in for kids prices. Please tell me the difference? Why not so holy now? Oh because it insults you? Well sorry but if your actually trying to pay for a KIDS price that is ridiculous. There is a kids price because kids tend to eat simpler things, chicken nuggets etc. I think it disgusting that someone would try to get a cheaper price, by using medical card, which by the way is probably given so that the person does not try to overeat and get sick from a regular meal.
I think if you want to have a surgery that's fine, but tell me where what I said was a lie? You would have to have no shame to try to use a card in that manner. Go ahead and jump all over me, I find it hilarous how hypocritical many of you are though, after jumping all over parents trying to save money, people parking in the wrong lots, and god forbid someone from another country(Brazil).
So agree. :sohappy:As well as there are other ways to cut down on the cost of buffet meals, such as going for lunch instead of dinner. Or as also suggested going to a sit down TS ordering whatever you want, appetizer, entree, etc. There are many children who don't eat like adults and yet they have to pay adult prices at these buffets. :confused:

rsgbsg2002

I'm sorry, a bit confused by what you're saying here. Are you trying to state that people can complain of being nauseated after a meal and they won't have to pay for the meal they just ate? I worked in food service for a few years in college and never heard of this.

A hair, overcooked meat, etc are something that can be proven (there is at least physical evidence), whereas a stomach ache or feeling like you'll be sick is all but impossible to prove.

Sorry, not really wanting to argue, but I just don't see your logic. I've never heard of anyone telling management before they left a restaurant that they feel sick (not because the food was bad, but because of quantity ingested) and gotten their meal free.

:shrug:

Let me help. If you read what I wrote, I said a "handful" of food. I'm not saying they'll get it for free if they eat it all. I've eaten with people who have eaten 1/4 of a plate and complain that they just don't feel up to eating for one reason or another. Refunds have been given.

I think a lot of people here are overestimating what people having this surgery can eat. They eat less than children. I know people that have had this surgery and children. I'm a pretty informed party here. Also, how would the management possibly think that a handful has made you sick because you ate too much? So quanity would never ever ever ever come up. Clear? And just so everyone's not mistaken, I'm not advocating scamming anyone including WDW! :)

I suppose we have a lot of proponents of Methodone Clinics then here.

Way to stay on topic there.

Your not making much sense...I have left plenty of meals feeling "sick" because I ate too much, but that was MY fault, nobody puts a gun to anyones head and says how much of something you can and can't eat.
How would giving someone a child's price for a buffet help keep them from eating too much...ITS A BUFFET they themselves control how much they eat regardless of the price. And last I looked the point of the surgery was to make you feel a little "sick" when you eat even small portions..it's called being full.

Well, if you'd read my previous post, you'd see that they can only eat a handful. Physically. Reading comprehension is essential in today's world. I didn't say, nor did anyone say, that they wanted the child's price to help control them. It has nothing to do with control. The only one who mentioned control is the person who said that they've left buffets feeling "sick". I guess they had none.
So, to say again, only to have people ignore my points and reply back with segments of my statements that would have proven me correct: they can only eat a handful of food because their stomachs (or lack thereof since the stomach is no longer part of the gastrointestinal tract after this surgery, but actually a small "pouch" connected to the duodenum) are too small to eat anything more. They eat less than children. I repeat: they eat less than children. Now who wants to bet that someone will reply with "They can eat as much as they want, they choose to" or something?

Perhaps I should get a card and try it with beer, oh wait, I forgot carbs are the enemy. :cry:
:rolleyes:

To reply to the original poster, because someone has to: yes. The card can be used at buffets in WDW or anywhere else. I'm not sure of Disney's official policy, but I know that managers accept it at all the places I've been to with people that have had this surgery. Regardless of opinions, from my personal experience with this they will accept the cards and she can have her handful of food and pay the full child's price (which, let's be honest, is a bit of a rip-off considering how much more children eat than these people).

Club Cooloholic

Let me help. If you read what I wrote, I said a "handful" of food. I'm not saying they'll get it for free if they eat it all. I've eaten with people who have eaten 1/4 of a plate and complain that they just don't feel up to eating for one reason or another. Refunds have been given.

quote]

Ohhh I would just love to be your waiter when your group comes to the table....no shame...AND cheap.

And guess what, wheather you have eaten a quarter of the food on the plate or most of it, ALL of the food left over is going to go in the trash (or a take out bag, heard of those?). So it really doesnt matter wheather you ate only so much of this or that, it cost the restaurant the same amount of materials and money to make the whole thing.
The cheapness of some people never amazes me.

maggiegrace1

It is not true that all people who have had this surgery can only eat a handful of food or less then children.

I know of a few people who have had this surgery and still eat a fairly decent amount of food ..even more then I could eat and I have not had the surgery.

Saying that EVERY person who has this surgery can only eat a handful is false..as like you ..rsgbsg2002 I also know people with this surgery who eat a good amount more then a handful and more then a child.

I am also a pretty informed poster on this also..:)

tigsmom

It is not true that all people who have had this surgery can only eat a handful of food or less then children.

I know of a few people who have had this surgery and still eat a fairly decent amount of food ..even more then I could eat and I have not had the surgery.

Saying that EVERY person who has this surgery can only eat a handful is false..as like you ..rsgbsg2002 I also know people with this surgery who eat a good amount more then a handful and more then a child.

I am also a pretty informed poster on this also..:)

Quite true. That is why some people who have the surgery don't lose weight! :brick:

The band is not filled to the maximum amount at surgery, heck it's not filled at all during the surgery, you have to wait and then they only add small amounts at a time to find the right size for you. It is quite an involved process. If you do not follow the food plan you can stretch the pouch and then fit quite a bit in there without becoming sick and either not lose weight or gain weight. :zipit:

I always thought that all women were experts on everything.

No wonder your marriage has lasted so long!! :ROFLOL:

rsgbsg2002

And guess what, wheather you have eaten a quarter of the food on the plate or most of it, ALL of the food left over is going to go in the trash (or a take out bag, heard of those?).

You can take leftovers home from a buffet? I didn't know that. I guess I'm not too bright since I thought you couldn't. I was talking only about buffets in my post, you know that. And I also didn't know that managers would charge for services unrendered i.e. not being able to eat at a buffet where you can't take food with you (or can according to you because, once again, I wasn't talking about anything but buffets. In fact, that's what this thread is about (see original poster for details)).

And for those who stretch their stomachs out after gastric bypass or negate the lapband entirely: I never thought anyone would be so idiotic as to put themselves in this kind of danger after going through surgery to rectify their problems. The people I know eat what people who have had these surgeries are supposed to eat. Therefore, that's who I was talking about.

I'm sorry if there are people who scam restaurants by eating as much as everyone else THEN showing a card, but when people do the smart thing and eat that handful that they're supposed to, then where is the problem? They eat a handful i.e. less than a child, and they pay the child's price. This is for buffet only since they can take food with them anywhere else (I feel I have to mention this is a buffet thread so no one else tries to prove me wrong by throwing out things we're not even discussing).

I'm trying very hard to be clear here. The people I know have had the surgery and follow the rules that it comes with. This leads to them eating very small amounts of food. If everyone wants to argue that you can scam regardless, then you are right. But I'm not nor have ever talked about the people that shove platefuls down their gullets and try to get the child's price. The people that have these surgerys CAN only eat a handful of food IF they follow the rules. I'm ever so sorry for not listing every scenario where I could be proven wrong. I was just talking about the people who felt their surgery meant something and respected it enough to follow the rules. These rules mean they can only eat a handful. If someone eats more than that and presents a card then NO they shouldn't get a discount. But normally, as the card was meant for, it should be honored at BUFFETS only.

I know I've said nothing new here, I've only repeated what I've already said. But maybe this time people can stop twisting around what I said to prove themselves correct. I think I've written it all in a foolproof way now. But if anyone wants to take something else I've said out of context, then I'll be willing to repeat myself again until everyone is clear that I'm talking about normalcy and not random scenarios such as when non-buffets, rule-breakers, and people who think it's cheap and shameful to not want to pay $20 for a handful of food. Looking down on people who don't want to pay unfairly to the rest of the people in the restaurant is shameful in my opinion. But I suppose we're not all as wonderful as those who will rip themselves off to keep random posters on a faceless internet forum happy.

Club Cooloholic

You can take leftovers home from a buffet? I didn't know that. I guess I'm not too bright since I thought you couldn't. I was talking only about buffets in my post, you know that. And I also didn't know that managers would charge for services unrendered i.e. not being able to eat at a buffet where you can't take food with you (or can according to you because, once again, I wasn't talking about anything but buffets. In fact, that's what this thread is about (see original poster for details)).

This is a quote from you... " I've eaten with people who have eaten 1/4 of a plate and complain that they just don't feel up to eating for one reason or another. Refunds have been given."

Well if you were talking about buffets, who the hell would walk into a buffet, load their plate up with food, eat a quarter of it, show the manager, and ask for a refund? Your at a buffet, you control how much goes on your plate, so why not put less on the plate, and eat the whole thing?

Asking for a refund, for anything other than the quality of the food or service not being up to snuff makes no sense, I have never heard of anyone doing this, and if I was working at a restaurant and someone tried this, I would first, burst out laughing then say "Are you serious?" So for someone to try this at a buffet makes them both CHEAP and CRAZY.

And you fail to answer how the resaturant is supposed to monitor all the "handful" eaters? You fail to answer why anyone who is only planning on eating a "handful" would eat at a buffet. You fail to see the point, if your an adult you pay adult prices for buffets. It's like the magic kingdom, they don't have a pregnant price, they don't have a "I can't handle coasters" price, they have an ADULT price, same for all weather you ride 10 percent of the rides or all of them.

Phonedave

You fail to see the point, if your an adult you pay adult prices for buffets. It's like the magic kingdom, they don't have a pregnant price, they don't have a "I can't handle coasters" price, they have an ADULT price, same for all weather you ride 10 percent of the rides or all of them.

Thats the best summary I have seen so far.

There are all sorts of people, who for various reasons, cannot enjoy 100% of *somthing* for legitimate reasons.

People with lap bands or GB cannot enjoy the full amount of a buffet.

People with back problems cannot enjoy roller coasters.

People with casts cannot enjoy the swimming pools

People with motion sickness issues cannot enjoy Mission:Space

As you said, there are no discounts for people with back problems, casts, or motion sickness. They do not get a discount or childs rate because they cannot enjoy 100% of the attractions. Lets be clear why there are childs prices anyway. Its not because WDW is being kind because they know the kids eat less or can do less. Its because many parents would not go into a place if they had to pay full price for the kids. The discount is there to get the parents in, along with the kids.

As for medical cards saying please let this person pay the kids price because they eat less. Well if you have one, and the place wants to honor it, then by all means good for you. However if the buffet says that you are an adult and so you need to pay the adult price, that is not UNfair. Heck, I eat less than average at a buffet (more than a handfull but less than a plate) but I pay adult price.

-dave

minnie2000

While I sympathise with people who have had gastric surgery, I don't believe that they should pay the child's price at a buffet. Buffets cater for all people, those who eat a huge portion and those who just have a little. That's why there is one price for adults and another for children - as Phonedave said, I would not want to pay the adult's price for children.

My children love the Crystal Palace. They enjoy the breakfast and love Pooh and friends. When we go, we pay for 3 adults and one child, as my elder daughter is 11. DH eats a bit of everything, well a lot of everything I suppose. He enjoys his food, eats a lot, and gets good value out of a buffet! I don't like eating big meals, so I usually have some fruit, and a little scrambled eggs. DD, who is 11, eats very little. She only eats one chocolate chip pancake, yet we still pay adult price. DD, who is 7, has a huge appetite (but is still skinny). She has a huge plate of fruit, then bagels and cream cheese, and then bacon and eggs. I don't know where she puts it all!

What I am trying to say is that not all people who go to a buffet eat lots of food. We go because we like the food, we just don't eat huge amounts, and we like the characters. Not everyone gets good value for money, you have to take that into account when you decide to eat at a buffet.

NemoRocks78

Seized
As for medical cards saying please let this person pay the kids price because they eat less. Well if you have one, and the place wants to honor it, then by all means good for you. However if the buffet says that you are an adult and so you need to pay the adult price, that is not UNfair. Heck, I eat less than average at a buffet (more than a handfull but less than a plate) but I pay adult price.

My feelings exactly.

I had Lapband surgery in October '07. If I go to a buffet, I'm not gonna demand the child's price because I eat less. There are many people out there without any sort of surgery who pay the adult price and will eat the same amount (if not less) as me... so why should I get the discount? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom