Buena Vista Street (2012)

Californian Elitist

Pretty amazing difference, isn't it?

Honestly, I wouldn't use "pretty." I can't seem to think of a word right now but California Adventure is just... Gosh, I really am speechless. I'm so happy and grateful for all the love the Disneyland Resort is getting, and honestly I hope it continues. I'm always happy when I go to the Disneyland Resort, but starting June 15th, I'm going to be on full blown cloud nine.

sponono88

Original Poster
^ And then you see photos like this and it looks even more beautiful! :)

7265858794_6c39115c1f_z.jpg
7265866742_a2a3f09cb1_z.jpg

(taken from WaringSLO's photoset)

And today, the walls were taken down around the fountain and.. well the pictures speak for themselves!

2418IMG_0416.jpg

948IMG_0458.jpg

3408IMG_0477.jpg

3047IMG_0475.jpg

3089IMG_0454.jpg

9860IMG_0470.jpg

(photos from a special In The Parks update)

sponono88

Original Poster
And more one thing -- here's a photo released by Disney today which shows Mickey and the gang with their new Buena Vista St. attire:

Down on Buena Vista Street, it’s the 1920s and 1930s, and you may run into those young upstarts, Chip ‘n’ Dale, who are looking pretty snazzy in spiffy period outfits. Goofy’s got a plaid suit that’s the “cat’s pajamas,” while a new fella named Mickey Mouse has just arrived in town, hoping to make his dreams come true just like his pal, Walt Disney. He might even join the Red Car News Boys for a song and get discovered in the process.

bvs123234SMALL.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rk-will-have-plenty-of-character-this-summer/

Californian Elitist

Sponono, you're killing me with these photos! I swear, I'm about to hop on the metro line to DCA, RIGHT NOW!

And the gang can't get any cuter with their new outfits! I'm going to be taking so many photos with them!

sponono88

Original Poster
Sponono, you're killing me with these photos! I swear, I'm about to hop on the metro line to DCA, RIGHT NOW!

And with Mad T Party starting tonight, i can't wait to get over there myself

--

If you can't get enough photos, MintCrocodile just posted a brand new photo report with even MORE pictures!

Click here to see the full set of photos: http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2012/05/buena-vista-street-fountain.html

i-bQZ5VsN-M.jpg

I love this aqua blue topper here, it looks like some kind of jewel

i-vpwSDn2-M.jpg

Red Car Trolley signs have now been posted on the trolley stops

i-b2StD47-M.jpg

i-dCJVFBX-M.jpg

i-5BL7KCV-M.jpg

i-Dfg45GX-M.jpg

i-L8jvDbk-M.jpg

Californian Elitist

And with Mad T Party starting tonight, i can't wait to get over there myself

--

If you can't get enough photos, MintCrocodile just posted a brand new photo report with even MORE pictures!

Click here to see the full set of photos: http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2012/05/buena-vista-street-fountain.html

i-bQZ5VsN-M.jpg

I love this aqua blue topper here, it looks like some kind of jewel

i-vpwSDn2-M.jpg

Red Car Trolley signs have now been posted on the trolley stops

i-b2StD47-M.jpg

i-dCJVFBX-M.jpg

i-5BL7KCV-M.jpg

i-Dfg45GX-M.jpg

i-L8jvDbk-M.jpg

Take me with you! Now that I'm thinking about it, it would actually be a lot of fun if the Disneyland folks here met up one day. That would be interesting.

hpyhnt 1000

Gorgeous! Just absolutely stunning! Never been to DCA but even in pictures the difference from the previous entrance area is remarkable.

Anyone remember the "hubcap?" :lol:
P01-0005.jpg

Compared to now, there is no comparison!
i-L8jvDbk-M.jpg

dweezil78

Looks beautiful!!

Now that the front of the park has been successfully converted to The Grove, California Adventure can finally live up to its name!

:D :shrug: :D

Californian Elitist

Looks beautiful!!

Now that the front of the park has been successfully converted to The Grove, California Adventure can finally live up to its name!

I thought the same thing! The new entrance closely resembles The Grove's fountain and Carthay reminds me of the theater at The Grove too. Not to mention Grove also has a trolley. Wow, so many comparisons.

sponono88

Original Poster
Looks beautiful!!

I know you're kidding but still, the Grove doesn't even come close to this! Not to mention the fountains are nothing alike, and the theater is completely different as well. BVS is on a whole different level..

dcabvs.jpg

photo by @hwork

Also, a new article and video from the Disney Parks Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...revealed-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

dweezil78

Look, I'm not saying that it doesn't all look top-notch and will be a welcome change to what was there. It's wayyy better and I'm excited to see it, for sure. But I still feel like it's a damn close experience to what people can get for free in the heart of LA. Carthay looks great, it really does. But on a whole, does the 100% free experience below look all that different? I just feel like, given the obvious similarities, they could have taken a different approach...that's all.

NerUL.jpg

Californian Elitist

I agree and disagree at the same time with the both of you. BVS really does look like The Grove, especially concept wise in my opinion. Some of the buildings look the same and the theater and the trolley don't help the differences. However, an experience at The Grove ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE COMPARED to DCA. The Grove offers dining, shopping, and movie theater access. DCA is a theme park. I don't think I need to go further than that.

sponono88

Original Poster
Look, I'm not saying that it doesn't all look top-notch and will be a welcome change to what was there. It's wayyy better and I'm excited to see it, for sure. But I still feel like it's a damn close experience to what people can get for free in the heart of LA. Carthay looks great, it really does. But on a whole, does the 100% free experience below look all that different? I just feel like, given the obvious similarities, they could have taken a different approach...that's all.

I'm familiar with the Grove, i've visited many times. I just think it's a completely different experience that what is being created at Buena Vista St. BVS has a central story and setting, uniquely themed stores and restaurants, as well as new shows and entertainment (Citizens of Buena Vista St, Red Car News Boys, Five and Dime, etc). There's no comparison.

TP2000

I've used the Grove and Americana as points of references before in Disney conversations, most recently with all the fuss (or lack thereof) of redoing Downtown Disney at WDW and that whole Hyperion Wharf mess that TDO got itself into the last four years. :rolleyes:

But I think the Buena Vista Street concept and execution surpasses anything at the Grove or Americana. The difference is in the overall storytelling, the cohesiveness of the experience, and of course the entertainment planned.

Americana or the Grove look great, of course. But I was at the Grove a month ago to have breakfast at DuPar's and cruise through the Taschen store nearby. I took the trolley from the parking structure down to DuPar's, and the "spiel" the nicely uniformed conductor gave went something like this "On your left is Banana Republic; make sure to stop by today for their ladies spring sale!" :rolleyes:

I'll wait to see the rest of BVS, as we've only seen a tiny bit, before I make my final judgement. But while there are similarities between the Grove and BVS (the trolley and the expensive surfaces and finishes), the overall execution and entertainment value of a modern Disney theme park takes something like BVS to a whole other level.

What I think stuff like the Grove or Americana really speaks to, is how quickly the Downtown Disney concept on both coasts has become a bit stale. Luckily, lavishly designed and luxuriously furnished malls like the Americana or the Grove only really exist in Southern California. Most tourists to WDW from the Midwest or East Coast don't have a frame of reference for a Grove experience, and their local mall looks something like this, and so Downtown Disney at WDW still seems pretty cool.

Average Midwest Mall, Anytown USA
543237_10150832924317712_152614102711_9995251_920727820_n.jpg

But others have caught up and surpassed the Downtown Disney concept, at least here in SoCal. Disney should be more concerned about that impact on Downtown Disney, rather than any comparisons of BVS to the Grove or Americana malls.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Looks beautiful!!

Ha! :ROFLOL: Nice comparison. Never thought about it like that.

What I think stuff like the Grove or Americana really speaks to, is how quickly the Downtown Disney concept on both coasts has become a bit stale. Luckily, lavishly designed and luxuriously furnished malls like the Americana or the Grove only really exist in Southern California. Most tourists to WDW from the Midwest or East Coast don't have a frame of reference for a Grove experience, and their local mall looks something like this, and so Downtown Disney at WDW still seems pretty cool.

Average Midwest Mall, Anytown USA
543237_10150832924317712_152614102711_9995251_920727820_n.jpg

But others have caught up and surpassed the Downtown Disney concept, at least here in SoCal. Disney should be more concerned about that impact on Downtown Disney, rather than any comparisons of BVS to the Grove or Americana malls.
In defense of my beloved East Coast, there are plenty of Grove/Americana-like shopping/dining/entertainment districts over there…

CityPlace, West Palm Beach, FL
city-place-west-palm.jpg

Atlantic Station, Atlanta, GA
1118atlanta2e_t607.jpg

Las Olas Riverfront, Fort Lauderdale, FL
2933436206_f238dd3511.jpg

Downtown at the Gardens, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
224737_10150178136339405_117189249404_6796250_6768027_n.jpg

And there's plenty more. Granted many of them don't offer a trolley like Americana and The Grove do, but they're still darn nice outdoor centers with plenty of fine dining, shopping, and entertainment. Not everyone is stuck with a boring Westfield or Simon indoor mall with a food court and storefronts that are still stuck in the 90's!

jakeman

Just to piggy back, here is our mall in Durham, NC:

streetsatsouthpointtheslider2.jpg

And another one in Raleigh, NC:

rdurn_phototour18.jpg

As someone who has travel extensively throughout the United States including visiting the Grove, I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence that TP2000 is complete wrong in the assumption that "lavishly designed and luxuriously furnished malls like the Americana or the Grove only really exist in Southern California."

nemofinder22

Gorgeous! Just absolutely stunning! Never been to DCA but even in pictures the difference from the previous entrance area is remarkable.

Anyone remember the "hubcap?" :lol:
P01-0005.jpg

Compared to now, there is no comparison!
i-L8jvDbk-M.jpg

Wow for someone who has never been to DCA great photo finds!!! It's practically taken from the same area! The brown grass in Sunshine Plaza is just about where the center of the fountain sits.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Luckily, lavishly designed and luxuriously furnished malls like the Americana or the Grove only really exist in Southern California.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Wait, you weren't joking? That's even funnier.

TP2000

Wait, you weren't joking? That's even funnier.

There are some great malls back East. I spent a few decades living out there, and remember some good ones, even back in the day. Now I just travel there regularly.

But I have never seen anything like the Grove or Americana with trolley systems and musical fountain shows outside of SoCal.

Outdoor upscale malls with good architecture? Sure, those exist in lots of upscale suburbs in America now (thankfully). But outdoor upscale malls with good architecture and trolley systems and musical fountain shows?

heckaman_5_619.ashx
IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_2323.JPG

6547783121_6ea9a78a16_z.jpg
grove_fount6.jpg

I've only ever come across those in SoCal. :confused:

If some other city has developed them as well and I just haven't come across them in my travels, then let us know. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with my assertion that these types of shopping malls only exist currently in Southern California. But it's a model that Disney would be wise to use for their aging Downtown Disney centers on both coasts. The Downtown Disney in Anaheim and Orlando could use some pizazz to set them apart, or at least match some of the amenities SoCal malls are now offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom