Buena Vista Street (2012)

TP2000

Wait Iger and Lasseter in the parks?!?! this must mean DCA is getting another E-ticket soon ;) :cool:

Bwahahaha! That's a good one, and very well played! :ROFLOL:

I hope the Condor Flats sign retheme is true the current one(font wise) is quite DCA 1.0.

Yes. The structure of the revolving sign can and should stay, but it's that graphic sign on it with the late 1990's contemporary look to it that needs to go. The tower itself can blend well with that transition area between Buena Vista Street and Condor Flats, but the font and graphics need to go ASAP.

Here's the DCA 1.0 graphics that have obviously caught Lasseter's attention and that need to go.

3965715297_be3745af5d_z.jpg

Here's what the sign and Condor Flats entry looked like upon DCA's opening in 2001, when it fronted the barren and cheap Sun Plaza area.

0220-553.jpg

Versus what it looks like now, from the partially completed Carthay Circle area.

IMG_4907.jpg

As you can see, it's not so much the tower that clashes, it's the font and circa 2001 contemporary graphics package.

sponono88

Original Poster
BVS update (4/13)

Trees are blooming, the fountain is testing, and in the background more buildings are uncovered behind the construction tarps

i-KcBfkLn-M.jpg

Dragons featured in the iron work

i-2QXRCgr-M.jpg

The Carthay Circle Theatre marquee was installed earlier this week

i-crTKJfr-M.jpg

The view from the Monorail:

i-mMH7pk6-M.jpg

A closer look at some of the building details popping up:

i-ZbNRsWv-M.jpg

i-T5f3QrQ-M.jpg

source: MintCrocodile

nemofinder22

Bwahahaha! That's a good one, and very well played! :ROFLOL:

Yes. The structure of the revolving sign can and should stay, but it's that graphic sign on it with the late 1990's contemporary look to it that needs to go. The tower itself can blend well with that transition area between Buena Vista Street and Condor Flats, but the font and graphics need to go ASAP.

Here's what the sign and Condor Flats entry looked like upon DCA's opening in 2001, when it fronted the barren and cheap Sun Plaza area.

0220-553.jpg

:D At the rate they visit, DLR should be on its 5th park

Funny the whole thing looks quite nice for DCA 1.0. I've always liked the sign but it really clashes instead of complimenting BVS.

BVS update (4/13)

Trees are blooming, the fountain is testing, and in the background more buildings are uncovered behind the construction tarps

i-KcBfkLn-M.jpg

source: MintCrocodile

I LOVE the overall look that this has. It reminds me a bit of NOS but with that obvious CA feel.

TP2000

I LOVE the overall look that this has. It reminds me a bit of NOS but with that obvious CA feel.

Really good point about New Orleans Square (NOS)! I had thought that this Buena Vista Street project, which is totally unprecedented in the history of Disney theme parks - if not all theme parks on the planet, was going to be the sleeper hit of this DCA extreme makeover. Never has Disney gone in and bulldozed a main entrance complex before and started over, but to do so and bring to life the jazzy Los Angeles of 1930 with a GIANT John Lasseter budget is an amazingly fun opportunity.

My grandparents who were born and raised in the LA area in the early 20th century used to tell me what a big deal it was to take the trolley to downtown LA to go shopping at Bullocks Wilshire, and I kind of get goosebumps thinking about how they are recreating that environment for us at DCA. The jazzy, snazzy look and feel of Buena Vista Street is really going to be a fun place to hang out. Not to mention a unique and gorgeously crafted opening act for the new Disney California Adventure.

This is such an exciting time! I really am looking forward to this summer. :D

sponono88

Original Poster
A new video shows the custom tilework being created for Buena Vista Street,

[youtube]VrAIgPEK5Q0[/youtube]
Imagineers are busy putting the final touches on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure park. This busy California street will take you back to 1923, when Walt Disney first arrived in California.

Part of the décor includes colorful murals made of tiles that create a story, while also reflecting the architecture and the Spanish influence in California during the 1920s. The video below goes behind the scenes with Imagineers as they work with a vendor in Los Angeles to create each tile. Make sure you take time to see these beautiful murals this summer at Disney California Adventure park when Buena Vista Street, Carthay Circle Theatre and Cars Land open on June 15.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...fornia-adventure-park-is-a-blast-to-the-past/

nemofinder22

Al Lutz is reporting that Starbucks will make its first IN park debut at DCA. .

Be sure to read the whole article(below is just the bit on its location in DCA)
http://miceage.micechat.com/mc/mc041812a.htm

The first in-park Starbucks is now slated to open this June on Buena Vista Street with the re-launched Disney California Adventure. Starbucks will take up residence in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café, as an odd hybrid of a regular Starbucks and a Disney-run operation. While the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café (dubbed the Pig Café by Anaheim’s Foods group) will maintain all the great 1920’s theming and architecture already shown to the public, subtle Starbucks logos in rubbed brass and period-appropriate signage will be added near the entrance doors. It won’t scream Starbucks with green awnings and bright logos like your neighborhood location, but once anyone gets within sight of the front door they’ll be able to spot the logo and tell that it’s a Starbucks. (Now you know why Bob Iger decreed that the huge tree already planted in front of the Pig Café be moved over a few feet at big expense, as he knows this new corporate alliance needs to go well and the subtle Starbucks logos can’t be too hidden.)

TP2000

Al has another note up today, about a second visit by John Lasseter in the past week. Lasseter and Staggs were in Anaheim last weekend, and now Lasseter is back a few days later to inspect.

But what's this about delays on Buena Vista Street? I'm no construction expert, but it doesn't look like they have enough time for everything by June 15th; kind of like how the Paradise Garden restaurants were behind and didn't open for the June Mermaid event but made it by the 4th of July.

EDITOR’S NOTE 4/19: John Lasseter paid another visit to Anaheim yesterday, his second of the last week. His seasonal visits in 2011 became bi-weekly this winter, and now he's dropping in every week. Last weekend he thrilled tourists when he ate at the Blue Bayou, after his full DCA inspection in the rain that Tom Staggs insisted on tagging along for. Yesterday John was back in Cars Land riding all the rides again, inspecting all the new details, and fussing over the latest construction delays on Buena Vista Street. TDA is relishing all this last-minute investment in DCA's Billion dollar makeover. -Al Lutz

Cosmic Commando

I haven't heard anything about delays (I thought the weather was nice?), but Al has thrown out the idea at least once before that not everything on Buena Vista St will be open on 6/15. I think they will try to at least get all the exterior work done for the grand opening, leaving some of the shops/restaurants to finish up later. I'm guessing that they want the Starbucks at Fiddler, Fifer & Practical to open as well as the big Elias & Co. store; other than that... :shrug:

hpyhnt 1000

I haven't heard anything about delays (I thought the weather was nice?), but Al has thrown out the idea at least once before that not everything on Buena Vista St will be open on 6/15. I think they will try to at least get all the exterior work done for the grand opening,leaving some of the shops/restaurants to finish up later. I'm guessing that they want the Starbucks at Fiddler, Fifer & Practical to open as well as the big Elias & Co. store; other than that... :shrug:

From the pics that I have seen that looks to be a pretty good guess. They are absolutely flying on the exterior work at this point, probably at the sacrifice of the internal work. Considering the grand opening date is set in stone they don't have much choice at this point; BVS needs to at least look completed from the outside even if the inside is still unfinished drywall.

Cosmic Commando

From the pics that I have seen that looks to be a pretty good guess. They are absolutely flying on the exterior work at this point, probably at the sacrifice of the internal work. Considering the grand opening date is set in stone they don't have much choice at this point; BVS needs to at least look completed from the outside even if the inside is still unfinished drywall.

Exactly. If it looks done and everyone knows the other stuff is still coming, it almost doesn't matter if some of the shops/restaurants aren't open on 6/15. I don't think it will hurt the buzz.

There is precedent. I don't remember this first hand, but I have heard that when Sunset Blvd opened at MGM, the exteriors were all done and the stores that weren't finished yet had big posters in the windows like "Not coming back 'til it's over over there!" to tie into the 1940's setting. I don't know what the thematic equivalent would be for the 20's, but we may see something similar.

TP2000

The weekly Dateline Disneyland photo update at Miceage is just about the best photo update out there, in my opinion. I was just scanning their pics they took yesterday, and look what their crack team of photographers caught on Buena Vista Street from the window of the speeding Disneyland Monorail!

One of the Red Car Trolleys out testing the tracks near their Main Entrance station!

IMG7282-L.jpg

IMG7283-L.jpg

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.c...22-12/22578663_h4T8h7#!i=1807505483&k=wfLvPzG

I'm sure these pictures will be featured prominently in the official Dateline Disneyland update on Monday morning, but I just couldn't wait to link them for my friends here! I love how AMAZINGLY COOL that thing looks! :sohappy:

June 15th and the Rededication of Disney California Adventure can't get here fast enough!!!

sponono88

Original Poster
It really does look great and the trolley stop looks good as well :D

This is a different trolley than the one we had previously seen in the blog video. There will be two different trolleys, the one in the photos above is the first one in this diagram (darker red color)

i-JSmVN6N-O.jpg

source:MintCrocodile

The darker red trolley will be Number 623 - representing the date that Walt Disney arrived in Los Angeles (June 1923)

The striped trolley will be Number 717 - in honor of Disneyland's opening date (July 17)

nemofinder22

I LOVE the darker color trolley, I like both but that darker shade just has something else about it. Looks a lot bigger than I thought it would but just fantastic looking on BVS.

Al Lutz is reporting that Starbucks will make its first IN park debut at DCA. .

Be sure to read the whole article(below is just the bit on its location in DCA)
http://miceage.micechat.com/mc/mc041812a.htm

And now Starbucks in DCA is official as well as all stateside parks.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/starbucks-coming-to-disney-parks/
The Starbucks locations inside our parks will be designed to fit the theme of their surroundings. At Disney California Adventure park, Starbucks will be located in the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Café on Buena Vista Street, a place that transports guests to 1920s Los Angeles, when Walt Disney arrived in California and a cup of coffee was the perfect way to jumpstart a busy day. The store’s location plays off the Spanish/Mexican architecture of the period, and baristas will wear 1920s-inspired attire

sponono88

Original Poster
New blog post highlights Trolley Treats, the new confectionary store in Buena Vista Street. The main window display will feature a model of Rock Candy Mountain - read more at the link:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...y-treats-in-disney-california-adventure-park/

Trolley Treats is heading down the track and into your hearts on June 15 at Disney California Adventure park. So what will you find when you look inside? Well…in the window of Trolley Treats (the new confectionery store on Buena Vista Street) will be a model of Rock Candy Mountain.

[...]

So, come one, come all! Pound for pound, this unique shop will offer temptations for anyone with a sweet tooth. Selections from our candy makers will range from gourmet marshmallows and hand-pulled taffy to caramel apples, dipped strawberries, toffee, fudge and other seasonal favorites.

Crave something more? Watch our Candy Makers amaze and delight you as they bring the magic of gourmet Disney candy-making to life, right before your very eyes.

The rock candy mountain inside Trolley Treats will feature gumdrops, lollipops, chocolate milk waterfalls, and lots more (and yes, there will be little red car trolleys running through it!)

rcm238095SMALL.jpg

And here's a look at a mockup that was shown at the D23 Expo last year (photo by MintCrocodile)

i-RGPnk8q-M.jpg

Californian Elitist

New blog post highlights Trolley Treats, the new confectionary store in Buena Vista Street. The main window display will feature a model of Rock Candy Mountain - read more at the link:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...y-treats-in-disney-california-adventure-park/

The rock candy mountain inside Trolley Treats will feature gumdrops, lollipops, chocolate milk waterfalls, and lots more (and yes, there will be little red car trolleys running through it!)

rcm238095SMALL.jpg

And here's a look at a mockup that was shown at the D23 Expo last year (photo by MintCrocodile)

i-RGPnk8q-M.jpg

This is one of the coolest things ever...

sponono88

Original Poster
A few more trees have been added along the street, really gives the area a more finished look

IMG9510-XL.jpg

The different storefronts along Buena Vista St. are making good progress

IMG9512-L.jpg

IMG9546-L.jpg

Looks lovely.

IMG9545-XL.jpg

all photos courtesy of Dateline Disneyland

wild01ride

45days 'til show time, huh?!.....Yikes!

While the crew is doing a phenomenal job of pulling things together, it just looks like there is so much left to do with regards to construction, details, etc., not to mention just the general cleanup that will need to take place to get all of the equipment and construction bi-product out of there.
Nevertheless, the place is looking incredible!

I really hope to have the chance to see it sometime late this year!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom