Buena Vista Street (2012)

TP2000

Buena Vista Street is really flying along! Day after day of sparklingly sunny and very dry weather seems to be helping during this La Nina winter we are having in SoCal.

From today's always fabulous Dateline Disneyland report on Miceage comes these highlight pictures taken this past weekend. More pictures are found at Dateline Disneyland. http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-...zone-more-memories-facades-paradise-more.html

From the Disneyland Monorail, a look out the cabin window across the Esplanade at the new skyline DCA suddenly sports. The rooftops of Buena Vista Street are coming into view, plus Carthay Circle Theater, and the previous icons of Tower of Terror, Grizzly Mountain, even the Soarin' flight hangar off to the side. And beyond is the towering peaks of the Cadillac Range in Cars Land!

IMG7248-L.jpg

Back down on the ground in the Esplanade looking into the park, the rooftops of eastern Buena Vista Street are being sheetrocked in.

IMG6563-L.jpg

Elias & Co. Department Store is coming along now on the east side.

IMG6629-L.jpg

On the west side of the street they are a bit further along, since they started there first about a month early. The stonework for Clarabelle's Ice Cream Parlor has gone up on the facade.

IMG6671-L.jpg

Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe is framed in completely now.

IMG6713-L.jpg

And detailing continues on the Carthay Circle Theater in the warm California sun.

IMG6709-XL.jpg

TP2000

Hey, I just noticed in the pic above that they still have that surveillance cam up there on the roof of the Carthay!

It's aimed down at Buena Vista Street and the main entrance, so we should see one of those nifty time-lapse construction videos from WDI when this project is over.

I love those time-lapse construction videos! :sohappy:

sponono88

Original Poster
DLR Casting is holding auditions for Five and Dime, a new musical group that will (most likely) perform in Buena Vista Street. The group is described as follows,

Five & Dime, a high-energy musical group ("Five") fronted by a female singer ("Dime") with the vocal stylings of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Together, they will play and swing to popular standards of the ’30s while interacting with park Guests.

An update on BVS construction progress

Carthay Circle Theatre

i-Kwr9jF3-M.jpg

The Carthay Circle Hub, now with more trees

i-CHZhWbC-M.jpg

The street facades are taking shape

i-ZjgKQrK-M.jpg

Adding the "Elias & Company" name

i-WmGbZLM-M.jpg

Carthay Circle Fountain

i-pdCsJKf-M.jpg

A new weathervane

i-cxZvgpW-M.jpg

i-snfRCMV-M.jpg

The Carthay Circle fountain testing at night

i-DSdzS4S-M.jpg

i-zMMdcSS-M.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
And now some over-the-wall photos posted by Trader Chris on Flickr. You can really see the extent of the construction work here!

The trolley tracks are already in place in this area

6839733879_56ce65ec05_b.jpg

The town square/plaza area at the main entrance, looking towards the Carthay Circle Theater

6839710201_8c3a6a45a4_b.jpg

Fountain work for the planter which will be near the new Walt/Mickey statue

6839729835_e09cd0dfb8_b.jpg

The new hub and fountain area on the right of this photo:

6839716085_5b00087484_b.jpg

nemofinder22

And now some over-the-wall photos posted by Trader Chris on Flickr. You can really see the extent of the construction work here!

The trolley tracks are already in place in this area

The town square/plaza area at the main entrance, looking towards the Carthay Circle Theater

Fountain work for the planter which will be near the new Walt/Mickey statue

The new hub and fountain area on the right of this photo:

It's hard to believe that used to be Sunshine Plaza, a huge improvment over what was once there and it's not even done yet.

Buena Vista Street has some entertainment auditions coming up for Five and Dime.

Five and Dime
http://disneyauditions.com/calendar/index.html
...a high-energy musical group ("Five") fronted by a female singer ("Dime") with the vocal stylings of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Together, they will play and swing to popular standards of the ’30s while interacting with park Guests. Rehearsals begin early May, show opens early June

TP2000

Dateline Disneyland has several pictures today showing the very fast progress they are making on Buena Vista Street. I was there this past weekend and they were working late on Saturday afternoon, so they've got crews there from dawn until late at night seven days per week it seems.

http://micechat.com/blogs/dateline-...ckers-cone-zone-downtown-sandwiches-more.html

The west facade of the big Elias & Company department store is coming along nicely.

IMG8737-L.jpg

While the north facade of Elias & Co. is being framed in with Georgia Pacific DensGlass panels (a GREAT product! Expensive, but worth it!). This north facade was changed the most for Buena Vista Street, with new structural steel pushing out a good 20 feet from the previous footprint of the Greetings From Paradise store. Elias & Co. has a beefier footprint and more square footage than the stores that were there from 2001.

IMG8726-L.jpg

On the other side of the street, the roofline for FF&P Cafe' is going in quickly.

IMG8716-L.jpg

While at the front of the park the rooflines for Oswalds and Big Top Toys are being sheathed in DensGlass quickly too. This is coming along fast!

IMG8648-L.jpg

sponono88

Original Poster
A great new article that details the inspiration for Buena Vista St. and the process that went into the design/research of DCA's brand new entrance:

Recreating prewar Los Angeles required meticulous research. A team of Walt Disney Imagineering architects, designers, and other creative types pored over archival photos and videos from libraries and private collections—resources that were particularly helpful in reconstructing the Carthay Circle Theater, demolished in 1969, and Pan-Pacific Auditorium, destroyed by fire in 1989. The last Pacific Electric red car rolled down the streets of Los Angeles in 1961, but vintage photos—like those preserved at the Metro Transportation Library and Archive—helped the Imagineers faithfully match the cars' paint scheme and design flourishes.

Read the full article here:

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_f...20s-and-1930s-la-in-21st-century-anaheim.html

sponono88

Original Poster
Here's a list of some of the entertainment you'll find in Buena Vista St. when it opens this Summer (the information below is taken from the new CM guidebook 'Our California Story')

Citizens of Buena Vista Street - "Guests will encounter a series of characters from 'old time Los Angeles,' who specialize in creating impromptu laughs, smiles... and, of course, memories. You just never know who you might bump into along Buena Vista Street!"

Red Car News Boys - A group of young newspaper vendors leaps from the historic Red Car Trolley, performing a variety of high-energy tunes designed to hawk headlines and have a little fun! It's a unique, high-energy street performance like no other!

Five & Dime - When not working at the local Five & Dime, this group of five musicians and a red-hot singer travel the streets in their breezy jalopy, hoping to get their big break. Their snazzy music, toe-tapping rhythms, and talent are the "cat's pajamas."

Also, Al Lutz reported in his new column today that DCA VP Mary Niven requested that the trolley cars have a live spiel narration instead of a prerecorded track:

The trolleys are custom built to look and feel as genuine as possible while still meeting modern safety and operational standards, and WDI created the petite trolley vehicles to be staffed and operated by one Cast Member onboard. Mary Niven, however, realized that these trolley’s will offer a unique way to see Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Blvd., two areas of DCA that offer the most eye candy and intimate detail, and so she pitched the idea to Bob Weis that a second Cast Member needed to be on board each trolley to present a live spiel of the sights passing by the trolley windows. It was a last minute change, but WDI has now scrapped the automated recorded spiel they intended to use for this attraction and is instead scripting a historically accurate live spiel to be delivered to the newly added Cast Member onboard each trolley.

The trolleys will still be driven by a Motorman up front, or the historically accurate term Motorette as the female drivers of the trolley’s were called during World War II, but now they will be joined by a Conductor who will stand at the rear of the trolley and deliver a guided tour of the passing street scene and help with boarding and seating. Mary Niven didn’t want slapstick humor like the Jungle Cruise, but rather a cross between the period-piece spiels of the Sailing Ship Columbia and the gracious sightseeing at Storybook Land Canal Boats. Mary and her team felt this was a better way to bring the story of Buena Vista Street to life and would help her achieve her goal of making Disney California Adventure a more human and charming park, qualities that ooze out of the woodwork next door at Disneyland but have been in short supply at DCA.

Smart decision! Riding in the trolley with a live narration will really help enhance the overall experience.

Read more about it in the new MiceAge update:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al022112a.htm

JLW11Hi

Here's a list of some of the entertainment you'll find in Buena Vista St. when it opens this Summer (the information below is taken from the new CM guidebook 'Our California Story')

Citizens of Buena Vista Street - "Guests will encounter a series of characters from 'old time Los Angeles,' who specialize in creating impromptu laughs, smiles... and, of course, memories. You just never know who you might bump into along Buena Vista Street!"

Red Car News Boys - A group of young newspaper vendors leaps from the historic Red Car Trolley, performing a variety of high-energy tunes designed to hawk headlines and have a little fun! It's a unique, high-energy street performance like no other!

Five & Dime - When not working at the local Five & Dime, this group of five musicians and a red-hot singer travel the streets in their breezy jalopy, hoping to get their big break. Their snazzy music, toe-tapping rhythms, and talent are the "cat's pajamas."

Also, Al Lutz reported in his new column today that DCA VP Mary Niven requested that the trolley cars have a live spiel narration instead of a prerecorded track:

Smart decision! Riding in the trolley with a live narration will really help enhance the overall experience.

Read more about it in the new MiceAge update:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al022112a.htm

Sooooo coooool.....

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it. I love Main Street at Disneyland because of the atmosphere and love to just wander around. Sounds like Buena Vista Street right across the way will be just the same. :D

nemofinder22

DLR is about to begin casting for The Red Car News Boys

http://disneyauditions.com/calendar/index.html
Disney Parks Talent Casting is seeking male, youthful, well-rounded Singer/Dancer/Actors for The Red Car News Boys. This high-energy group of 1920s/30s-era paperboys will take to the streets of Disney California Adventure Park as they sing and dance to authentic period tunes. Some roles will emphasize strong singing skills while other roles will emphasize strong dancing skills. Performers of all ethnicities are encouraged to attend.
Invitational callbacks will be held Thursday, March 29. Rehearsals begin mid-May; performances begin mid-June.
Entertainers for this show are covered under the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement with the American Guild of Variety Artists (AGVA).

Roles
JOHNNY: portrays an older teen, the heart-throb leader of the pack, tenor
KIP: portrays a young teen, Johnny’s younger brother, the “exaggerator”, tenor
FEETS CHARMING: portrays 14-17, very outgoing, strong tapper, tenor
BRASS TACKS: portrays 14-17, gymnast, the “funny guy”, tenor
SHORTY MCGUIRE: portrays 14-17, 6’+, athletic, tenor
Requirements
Be prepared to begin with a dance combination (not all roles require strong dancing skills)
Prepare 16 bars of an energetic musical theater selection in the correct key, an accompanist will be provided
You must be at least 18 years of age to audition
Bring a current picture and résumé

Magenta Panther

A fun, new Red Car Trolley mug is on display :)

i-4Bq9rLQ-M.jpg

I WANT THAT COFFEE CUP!!!!!

Seriously, one of the things I do when I visit WDW is buy a coffee mug. It's my fave type of souvenir. And I LOOOOOVE that mug. Yet another reason to start saving up for a visit to DL, as if the amazing stuff I've seen here regarding Buena Vista Street wasn't enough. It all looks so awesome! I won't be able to go this year, probably, but the year after is certain. In the meantime I'll look forward to reading all the trip reports from those lucky folks who get to go early.

Thanks for the update! :wave:

TP2000

^^^ Woah! So apparently Magenta Panther is very serious about their mug collection! :lol:

I'm sure you'll get to Disneyland soon enough, and that mug will be yours. :wave:

In other news...

Laying the bricks for some of the new facades:

IMG0603-L.jpg

I love that they are using real bricks for the facades, brick by brick, instead of that sheets-o-brick material too often used now. This Buena Vista Street project is the real deal, literally and figuratively.

sponono88

Original Poster
Using MintCrocodile's photos, youtube user OrlandoExperten created this very cool time-lapse video which shows the construction progress from April 2011 until now:

[youtube]u3QVv8sJ8Z8[/youtube]

nemofinder22

A quick summary of some progress,
Lots of scaffolding has been removed(compare Mint's Monorail pictures with DisneyGeeks), parade/trolley poles have been installed, more brick laid for the trolley, lots of trees have been placed and Carthay has tiles on its roof.

Mintcrocodile's update-
http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2012/03/palm-trees-and-parade-poles.html

i-6TCmBnf-S.jpg

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/i-6TCmBnf/0/O/i-6TCmBnf-O.jpg

Disney Geek has an update the Buena Vista Street segment starts here
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_update.php?page_id=21&update_dir=2012_03_23

From the Monorail the south side(looking towards the Carthay) of the bridge.
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_update.php?page_id=33&update_dir=2012_03_23

North side(looking towards DL)
http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_update.php?page_id=37&update_dir=2012_03_23

Sasakitime blog has a great aerial photos of Buena Vista Street taken on Thurs. March 22.

Buena Vista Street
http://www.sasakitime.com/2012/03/buena-vista-street-from-air-3222012.html

On the DL picture you can see BVS on the bottom of the photo
http://www.sasakitime.com/2012/03/disneyland-from-air-3222012.html

And in the DCA photo you can see BVS on the top
http://www.sasakitime.com/2012/03/disney-california-adventure-from-air.html

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom