Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

WDWFigment

It's only a big deal to Disney fanatics. Do you think that the average Joe walks into the park and says,"Ew, that wand looks awful!"? No. Period. The average guest is awed by the splendor of Epcot and can't wait to start their experience.

Trust me, 99.9999999% of the guests could care less if there is a wand or not.

Sherry

While I would love to trust you, your skills in hyperbole are lacking a bit. Last year, 10,460,000 people visited Epcot. You have stated that only one visitor in a billion (well actually, you inferred it by your previous statements since "could care less" is actually the inverse of what you meant) cares if the wand stays or goes. What that means is that it takes roughly 100 years for for one guest who cares about the wand to come into Epcot. Interesting. I went to Epcot last year, and I care about the wand being removed, and I'm going back again this year (I'll still care at that point, in case you were thinking that was the out). If only one other person who cares visits the park in the next 100 years, you're wrong. :shrug: Maybe you should've just said "most" as opposed to giving some ridiculous number that proved easily refutable.

It turns out I actually could care more, err...couldn't care more, that the wand is finally coming down!

kcnole

Going by Sherry's logic we could also say that 99% of guests who visit the Magic Kingdom now don't care that the subs are gone. Because they don't know they were ever there.

sittle

And for those who can't understand why we'd want it down. It's as if someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa and we wanted to spend the money to remove the horrible mustache and restore her to her original glory. Someone would be bound to say, she always looked quite manly anyhow so the mustache doesn't destory that much. The painting is still there.

To me the original SSE was always a work of art and its been defaced. The other reason that the wand ruins the park is because the entire park was designed and implemented around the symetrical value of SSE. The wand makes the whole park just seem off balance.

I agree whole heartedly. As an artist and a lover of architecture and design. You just don't mess with classic pieces. You don't draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa, You don't put budweiser in the hand or sunglasses on the face of the statue of liberty and you certainly don't put some terrible steel and glass extension in front of the Louvré (which they did and they shouldn't of, but that's another thread!).

Anyone who disagree's with this is ignorant to the inherent beauty of the designers original intent, and frankly you should think about getting more cultured in respect to the arts. Afterall, it was Disney and his group of ARTIST'S who have given us all these things that we make time to sit around and bicker about, maybe it's time for everyone to that these huge structures are world reknown landmarks for a reason.

To myself it's not about the "Spirit of Epcot" it's about messing with a classic.

jmvd20

Eh, if it goes it goes, if it stays it stays.

Most of you are too worked up over it.

Taking it down isn't going to bring back the old 'spirit of EPCOT' or whatever it is that you think you want. With or without it, the park is going to continue to drift more out of the original ideas of the park as the more 'entertaining' attractions continue to be widely successful.

Completely agree with you.

I have thought for some time that at least part of the hatred towards the wand is because people view it as the symbol of EPCOT Center transforming into Epcot.

The wand being removed will allow SSE to stand alone against the sky once again, nothing less, and nothing more.

majortom1981

I fall on the side of loving the fact that the wand is coming down. I relate the whole wand thing to the "Castle Cake" for the 25th Birthday of Magic Kingdom. Alot of people came to the park and where amused by the fact that it had been added to. Yet, this flew in the face of the original purpose of the castle. It was designed to be as is, not to be plussed in any way. SSE was designed to be a giant geodesic sphere, and I believe it is still one of a kind. That's enough...it alone makes it unique and awe inspiring. The wand was added purely as a promotional gimic for the 2000 Celebration, much like the castle cake exterior for the 25th. Sure, first time guests probably weren't as upset as long time Disney fans...I remember being very indifferent about the cake. But, when they took it off, as I'm sure whil happen with SSE...there was this "oooohhhh, that's why those people wanted it removed," kind of feeling. The landmarks are the face of the parks. Rides can change, times can change, but these things are what people remember.

The geodesic sphere is sort of two of a kind. There is sort of one at europapark in germany

200px-Ep_eurosat.jpg

jmvd20

Anyone who disagree's with this is ignorant to the inherent beauty of the designers original intent, and frankly you should think about getting more cultured in respect to the arts. Afterall, it was Disney and his group of ARTIST'S who have given us all these things that we make time to sit around and bicker about, maybe it's time for everyone to that these huge structures are world reknown landmarks for a reason.

Arrogance is over abundant in that post.

Perhaps my idea of art is much different than yours...

Perhaps I feel SSE is nothing more than a silver golf ball...

Perhaps I think the wand is a glorious work of art, after all I guarantee artists worked on it...

Perhaps I feel that you are ignorant for not seeing the beauty of the wand...

Just because people disagree with someones opinion does not make them ignorant. Fact is some people like the wand and some do not, neither is ignorant nor more cultured than the other based upon a matter of opinion.

yodathefrog

The geodesic sphere is sort of two of a kind. There is sort of one at europapark in germany

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EPCOT's is the only complete sphere. Thus the difficutly they had in creating it. I believe that the one in Germany is not a complete sphere, it is "cut off" on the bottom. :wave:

hauntdmansion79

Sadness!!!:( :cry:

How can you NOT love this...
100_1862.jpg

Without the wand you just have a big shiny golfball that needs to be moved to Disney's Wide World of Sports.:brick:

And yes, I totally understand the brilliance of the geosphere without the wand, but I personally don't think the wand detracts at all from the marvel that is Spaceship Earth. I know Disney purists hate the idea of "branding" but
I think it adds tons of character and personality to Spaceship Earth without detracting from the architectural brilliance of it. Being a huuuge Disney fan long before I was a huuuge WDW fan, I love the fact that WDI found a way to incorporate Mickey into Spaceship Earth to make it more "Disneyfied".

There are tons of folks like myself who had never been to WDW prior to the erection of the wand so the wand is all we know and we have the same sentimental attachment to the wand version of Spaceship Earth that others have to the non-wand version. Seriously, what can be done to make both sides happy? :shrug:

Well said my friend. I think people who like the wand should be able to state their side of the debate as well (although I am totally in favor of the wand removal). I remember you posting a while back that your first visit to WDW wasn't too long ago. So it would make sense that if your first visit to Epcot included the wand on Spaceship Earth, and if you ended up loving the attraction and the park, then the wand would always be a good association for you. I'm glad you understand the other point of view for people who have been visiting Epcot for years without the wand, that we would obviously prefer and miss it's original appeal. Also, you are right to wonder how Disney could come to a conclusion that satisfies both sides. Perhaps moving the wand out over the entrance of Epcot's parking lot to give it a nice entrance like Magic Kingdom now has?

But to answer your initial question of "How can you NOT love this....?"
Here is my answer....

Because you could have this instead!
epcot_ball_nowand.jpg

SirNim

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EPCOT's is the only complete sphere. Thus the difficutly they had in creating it. I believe that the one in Germany is not a complete sphere, it is "cut off" on the bottom. :wave:
The general trick is, can you walk underneath it?

If not, then it's a dome, baby! ;)

bayoutinkbelle

Arrogance is over abundant in that post.

Perhaps my idea of art is much different than yours...

Perhaps I feel SSE is nothing more than a silver golf ball...

Perhaps I think the wand is a glorious work of art, after all I guarantee artists worked on it...

Perhaps I feel that you are ignorant for not seeing the beauty of the wand...

Just because people disagree with someones opinion does not make them ignorant. Fact is some people like the wand and some do not, neither is ignorant nor more cultured than the other based upon a matter of opinion.

Very well said!

I've never seen SSE without the wand (in person). I like the wand, but it's not going to kill me if it's removed. I'm sure I'll love SSE just as much without it.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna run down the street to the art museum and get "cultured."

FigmentJedi

I still like to think that this is partially Disney's cheap way out of Year of a Million Dreams. Bringing down the wand would probably fulfill about half if not whatever's left in the number of remaining dreams to come true.
If they flat out confirm the Dreamfinder return rumors sometime soon, I will probably crap my pants and declare the whole stupid celebration over.

dxwwf3

I still like to think that this is partially Disney's cheap way out of Year of a Million Dreams. Bringing down the wand would probably fulfill about half if not whatever's left in the number of remaining dreams to come true.

:ROFLOL:

wow. i find it funny (in that not really funny way) how for years all we heard were people b*tching about the wand. And now it's coming down and now everyone' crying about that. Can everyone tell me what happened to the wand haters? And where did all these wand lovers come from? Have they been hiding out untill they could complain about something?

Me, I'm happy. I didn't jump up and down and stuff, but I did give a big smile when I read the news. I remember seeing it in it's Millenium Celebration 2000 state, and even at the age of 12 I thought it was tacky. I got more and more numb to the tackiness, but now I'm happy to see it leave.

Vernonpush

I fall on the side of loving the fact that the wand is coming down. I relate the whole wand thing to the "Castle Cake" for the 25th Birthday of Magic Kingdom. Alot of people came to the park and where amused by the fact that it had been added to. Yet, this flew in the face of the original purpose of the castle. It was designed to be as is, not to be plussed in any way. SSE was designed to be a giant geodesic sphere, and I believe it is still one of a kind. That's enough...it alone makes it unique and awe inspiring. The wand was added purely as a promotional gimic for the 2000 Celebration, much like the castle cake exterior for the 25th. Sure, first time guests probably weren't as upset as long time Disney fans...I remember being very indifferent about the cake. But, when they took it off, as I'm sure whil happen with SSE...there was this "oooohhhh, that's why those people wanted it removed," kind of feeling. The landmarks are the face of the parks. Rides can change, times can change, but these things are what people remember.
My first time back to WDW was during the 25th anniversary of the MK, I wanted to see the castle in all it's glory. Of course I HAD to go back, once it was removed!

If they flat out confirm the Dreamfinder return rumors sometime soon, I will probably crap my pants and declare the whole stupid celebration over.
:ROFLOL: Yes!

SpenceMan01

LMAO. :lol:

We didn't win any "dreams" during our honeymoon trip in January, but I'll take the wand removal as a consolation prize!

Somebody find a video of the old WDW commercial with the fly-over of Mickey waving from the top of SSE. Maybe it'll change some of the wand fanatics' minds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom