Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

bgraham34

I dont care if the wand stays or leaves. I dont mind it. I think it looks great all lit up. But whatever will happen I shall be happy either way.

DizFanatic

:goodnevil That's too bad. I really love the wand. I wish they would leave it up and spend the ca$h doing something constructive.

:goodnevil Thank goodness! That awefull scar on SSE finally being removed! I curse the day that they defaced an American icon with that thing!

The debate will go on for dacades to come. For myself, I can see both sides of the debate, either way is ok for me, but I just don't like wasting bread. I bet it cost more to remove the thing than the first (terrible) imagination renovation. I think they shoul remove the wand and put me in its place!:ROFLOL:

Buford

I hope the internet isn't setting everyone up for disappointment............... not denying anything, but don't want to end up being sad IF it doesn't happpen......

erasure fan1

this may have more to do with the park's new VP, Jim MacPhee, than with Siemens. Last I heard, Siemens was somewhat neutral on the Wand (they weren't really fans but didn't hate it enough to pay for its removal), while Mr. MacPhee was adamant that it should leave because it detracts from the original spirit of Epcot. It will be interesting to find out (if we find out) who is paying for its removal--Disney is clearly kicking in some money, but I wonder if Siemens is paying anything. They have certainly paid enough toward the beautification of Epcot--it's about time Disney stepped in and threw some money at something.
That makes sense to me. I would bet they both paid something, if this wand coming down thing is true.

If it is all true, and the wand will be coming down, I am very happy. I never liked the wand. I think it kills the look of SSE and its removal wont be soon enough.

SDav10495

What a shame the money won't be spent on something that actually matters...:shrug:

Yeah, like another fleet of flashing carts to sell more String Things. :rolleyes: Honestly, it's not like they always put money into what's best for the parks anyway...money now being allocated for wand removal might otherwise have had little visible or beneficial impact. This is easily one of the best ways they can spend it--and yes, one of the most important (though that's another story, I guess...)

fizzle75

:sohappy: :sohappy: yayness!!!

Dittoness! ;)

Sadness!!!:( :cry:

How can you NOT love this...
100_1862.jpg

Without the wand you just have a big shiny golfball that needs to be moved to Disney's Wide World of Sports.:brick:

And yes, I totally understand the brilliance of the geosphere without the wand, but I personally don't think the wand detracts at all from the marvel that is Spaceship Earth. I know Disney purists hate the idea of "branding" but
I think it adds tons of character and personality to Spaceship Earth without detracting from the architectural brilliance of it. Being a huuuge Disney fan long before I was a huuuge WDW fan, I love the fact that WDI found a way to incorporate Mickey into Spaceship Earth to make it more "Disneyfied".

There are tons of folks like myself who had never been to WDW prior to the erection of the wand so the wand is all we know and we have the same sentimental attachment to the wand version of Spaceship Earth that others have to the non-wand version. Seriously, what can be done to make both sides happy? :shrug:

imagineer boy

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

So wand threads and Harry Potter threads have been killed in a matter of months. Kinda sad.:(

SpenceMan01

I have been hesitant to believe any wand stories, but I have a feeling this one's legit.

Everyone sing along:
Na na na na. Na na na na. Hey hey hey. GOODBYE! :sohappy:

...at least this better be legit... :dazzle:

Champion

Eh, if it goes it goes, if it stays it stays.

Most of you are too worked up over it.

Taking it down isn't going to bring back the old 'spirit of EPCOT' or whatever it is that you think you want. With or without it, the park is going to continue to drift more out of the original ideas of the park as the more 'entertaining' attractions continue to be widely successful.

I bet the SSE refurb does more to make the ride more entertaining then it does to make it more educational.

Are you all then going to complain that SSE is against the 'spirit of EPCOT'?

Even if this is true and the wand comes down, 'fans' fighting against Epcot isn't going to end.

DisneyLeo18

I personally agree with most of the people on here saying the money could be used for something else. everyone on this site is saying how AK and MGM needs help and how MK needs a new e-ticket and such... wouldnt you rather see that than the wand coming down????? i for one think its a waste to spend all that money to take the wand down especially when a lot of people are making it out to be worse than it really is.. i would be surprised to see the wand down within the next few years though...

dxwwf3

Taking it down isn't going to bring back the old 'spirit of EPCOT' or whatever it is that you think you want. With or without it, the park is going to continue to drift more out of the original ideas of the park as the more 'entertaining' attractions continue to be widely successful.

So what? I love Epcot in its current state. Yeah if I had to choose, of course I would pick the way Future World was in the 80's, but I love the current attractions, music, and atmosphere as well. The wand doesn't have a deep philosophical meaning for everyone. I just think it's a total and complete eye sore that looks tacky and out of date. It's not bringing SSE back to the way it was in the 80's, it's about making it look as good as possible on the inside and the out. Once the official announcement came that the attraction was going to get a pretty nice rehab on the inside, that was enough for me. This is just gravy. Very, very good gravy :lol:

dxwwf3

I personally agree with most of the people on here saying the money could be used for something else. everyone on this site is saying how AK and MGM needs help and how MK needs a new e-ticket and such... wouldnt you rather see that than the wand coming down????? i for one think its a waste to spend all that money to take the wand down especially when a lot of people are making it out to be worse than it really is.. i would be surprised to see the wand down within the next few years though...

I HIGHLY doubt Disney is going to be paying for all of it. If Siemens is going to split the bill, then Disney isn't going to have a ton of funds into the removal anyways. There's plenty of money to go around elsewhere.

Champion

So what? I love Epcot in its current state. Yeah if I had to choose, of course I would pick the way Future World was in the 80's, but I love the current attractions, music, and atmosphere as well. The wand doesn't have a deep philosophical meaning for everyone. I just think it's a total and complete eye sore that looks tacky and out of date. It's not bringing SSE back to the way it was in the 80's, it's about making it look as good as possible on the inside and the out. Once the official announcement came that the attraction was going to get a pretty nice rehab on the inside, that was enough for me. This is just gravy. Very, very good gravy :lol:

Then you weren't who I was talking about.

I just can't wait for all the whiners to visit Epcot after its down, and then realize "oh, I don't even really notice".

Dizknee_Phreek

My bus driver told me the wand would be remounted on the hat - and placed on top of the Tree of Life.

Wow! That's....interesting. .....That won't be tacky...at all.
:lol:

dxwwf3 said:
I know, but I think I'm not the only one who feels that way either.

You're definitely not. I feel the same as you about it. Epcot is just too far away from the original Epcot Center spirit for just the removal of a wand to bring it back. And that's neither good or bad...it just is what it is. The sad fact is that what we vets consider "classics", the newbies don't. And, unfortunately, Future World became outdated...that's just the reality of it. And although I REALLY miss the classic Epcot Center spirit, it's nice to see big crowds at some of the attractions again. Although, I do think they could've kept the "education is fun" theme while making things updated....
But will the absence of a wand bring back Epcot like we remember it? Absolutely not. I agree with dxwwf3...it's just very tasty gravy ;)

kcnole

I'm interested in how much it'll actually cost to remove this eyesore. It can't be more than 100000 bucks if that much.

And for those who can't understand why we'd want it down. It's as if someone painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa and we wanted to spend the money to remove the horrible mustache and restore her to her original glory. Someone would be bound to say, she always looked quite manly anyhow so the mustache doesn't destory that much. The painting is still there.

To me the original SSE was always a work of art and its been defaced. The other reason that the wand ruins the park is because the entire park was designed and implemented around the symetrical value of SSE. The wand makes the whole park just seem off balance.

And for those who think removing the wand will make it look like a boring old golf ball you can't be further from the truth. Back in the day before the wand there were some amazing light effects that took place on it and were constantly changing. While it still gets some light effects at night they're nothing like they once were because the wand blocks too many lights for the use. Just wait, you'll see what the rest of us have known for a long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom