BTMRR Next Gen Effects Being Installed

Genie of the Lamp

Anyone notice the Tony Baxter Tribute is not there.

Yep I absolutely did.:mad: And I also noticed Jeffery having too much fun with the cranking and explosion machines in the queue. Not that I have a problem with it, it's just I would've rather seen him out of the film and just focus on filming it instead. Yeah No Baxter. @Figments Friend you make sure Tony knows about this and maybe we can form a rebellion against the Parks Blog one day or something. Even though you think it looks more like Donald Sutherland, at least to can deter that the Portrait was a Tony Reference.

Figments Friend

Yeah No Baxter. @Figments Friend you make sure Tony knows about this and maybe we can form a rebellion against the Parks Blog one day or something. Even though you think it looks more like Donald Sutherland, at least to can deter that the Portrait was a Tony Reference.
As much as i can appreciate the apparent nod to Tony with that portrait in question, for me i am in no real hurry to see it put in the queue. As expressed in a previous post of mine, looking at that painting does not really remind me of Mr. Baxter. All i see is a villiany character.

Dare i say it, the thought did cross my mind that the painting may be a sly slant against him, since the character in the painting is a villian.
'Disney paints Tony Baxter as a villian'....catch my drift?
It is no secret there are some folks within the company that sadly see him that way, which is unfortunate.

Okay, i will admit i may well be reading far too much into that, and it is likely just a nice reference, but with the way attitudes have been lately i cannot help but think this was intentional. It would indeed be interesting to hear what Tony thinks of all of this....

I like the additions to the queue. Looks nice, and the activities will be popular with the kids waiting in the standby line.

Rebellion against the Parks Blog..? Nah...i had my 'protest' already ( see photo post in The Spirits' NGE/Baxter thread ).

I still say let's have a fan rally at DisneyLand.
Too bad BTMR will be down until October there....but hey, we can check and see if Tony*s park ticket collection is still on display at the Opera House.

He once said that if he ever 'left Disney' he would be taking his tickets back.

TonyBaxterticketsatDisneyLand_zps903b0c6f.jpg

The Empress Lilly

-
Another thought....
Perhaps the painting was only intended to be installed in the DisneyLand BTMR queue?
Given the choice between the two locations, i could see it making more sense to place it there at the original version of the attraction then elsewhere.
DL's Thunder may have been the first one to open, but Thunder is our own! A Florida original. It finds its origin in the WRE (which Baxter helped to axe). DL got the 'small cartoon mountain' version of this Florida project.

In the 70s, Orlando was still the focus of WED. The reverse of what would happen later, with Thunder DL received an ill-fitting version of a ride designed for the Florida park.

WDW1974

The Baxter painting was done for MK.

The fact it isn't installed can be read directly into Tony's departure (and he is GONE) from the company and the animus between certain individuals (like the two guys who run WDI) and Tony.

Yes, folks can be oh so petty ... even make themselves look like petulant rich-boy man-children. Bruce and Craig, I am looking at ya ...

Californian Elitist

^^^ Apparently Florida also received the "small cartoon mountain, ill-fitting version" as well.

A little DL history time. Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland was the attraction Thunder Mountain replaced. Mine Train opened in 1960 and like Thunder, it was a train attraction. You'd pass by all sorts of animals, plant life, a waterfall (Cascade Peak) and Rainbow Ridge. The only remnants of the attraction still left are Rainbow Ridge, a jumping fish, a bit of Cascade Peak and an abandoned, empty tunnel with a track.

Cascade Peak

minetrain_cascadepeak.jpg

Rainbow Ridge

minetrain_rainbowridge.jpg

minetrain_bearcountry2.jpg

minetrain_cacti.jpg

Rainbow Ridge now:

rrb111846LARGE.jpg

Cascade Peak now:

canoes.jpeg

Empty tunnel with track:

4409981552_ca03dbe178_z.jpg

Jumping fish, where the bears and the rest of the tunnel and track were:

If you watch the entire video, you can see a boarded up area, another tunnel with more track.

Pictures source: http://www.yesterland.com/minetrain.html

The Empress Lilly

^^^ Apparently Florida also received the "small cartoon mountain, ill-fitting version" as well.
No, no, Florida received a watered-down version of the WRE, not of Thunder. But not ill-fitting - Thunder was conceived for the specific area and theme of Frontierland in the MK.

DL received the 'small cartoon mountain' Thunder, because the location was an ill-fit for a direct, if mirrored, copy of MK's Thunder. In DL, Thunder is located immediately next to Fantasyland. A mountain with the size and western theme of MK's Thunder would be intrusive*. So the mountain was reduced in size and height. And the colour scheme and type of rock formation were to be different from the MK's. The more natural look and hard, bright colours of the MK were adapted to a more subdued, rounded, cartoon style, less 'western', to fit in better with Fantasyland.

So...a 'small cartoon mountain' Thunder it was. Don't blame me, blame the designers. Who actually did a fine job of solving the puzzle of how to transport Thunder to its DL location next to Fantasyland by the solution of a 'small cartoon mountain'.

1fcb8d95.jpg

Not everything was solved however. As is commonly the case with a ride not specifically designed for a particular spot - a problem which has plagued WDW ever since Splash, but which plagued DL back in the days of Thunder.
Thunder's area had indeed been used by several previous rides, including the minetrain, Some elements of these could be incorporated in the new Thunder ride, others not, which were left to just sit there as an eyesore, such as the empty, defunct train tunnel which wasn't removed, and railroad track along the river, some of which wasn't removed until decades later.

* The Matterhorn is thought to be a natural fit to FL.

Prollercoaster

The Baxter painting was done for MK.

The fact it isn't installed can be read directly into Tony's departure (and he is GONE) from the company and the animus between certain individuals (like the two guys who run WDI) and Tony.

Yes, folks can be oh so petty ... even make themselves look like petulant rich-boy man-children. Bruce and Craig, I am looking at ya ...

I rode Thunder last night. The Portrait was up and looked glorious.

A few days ago I saw Tony, Bruce and Craig having a heart-to-heart over a Le Fou's Brew... They eventually hugged it out.

U0ved1N.jpg

Figments Friend

DL's Thunder may have been the first one to open, but Thunder is our own! A Florida original. It finds its origin in the WRE (which Baxter helped to axe). DL got the 'small cartoon mountain' version of this Florida project.

In the 70s, Orlando was still the focus of WED. The reverse of what would happen later, with Thunder DL received an ill-fitting version of a ride designed for the Florida park.

Yes, although the DL version was the first to open, it was the WDW version that was the 'original' as far as the design concept and appearance style. Tony has talked about this in the past, mentioning how exciting it was for him to finally get BTMR built in WDW as he had originally intended.
The FL version would have opened first but as you probably know it was put on hold due to Space Mountain being fast-tracked instead for the property. Once SM opened, DL felt lonely and wanted a new thrilling attraction of their own, so BTMR was redesigned to fit in near FantasyLand there as noted earlier.

I like both versions, but WDWs version is fantastic. DLs has a different feel and has more landscape, but in WDW you literally feel you are going to fling off those rails and fly right into the river. LOVE that extra thrill factor there..!
The DLP version gives the impression of being a combination of both.

djlaosc

If they are basing the TV series on this new storyline - they really do have to get Donald Sutherland to sign on!

ABC have had a relationship with him in the past (Dirty Sexy Money) and according to Wikipedia, the only thing he has going on at the moment is "The Hunger Games"

The Empress Lilly

Yes, although the DL version was the first to open, it was the WDW version that was the 'original' as far as the design concept and appearance style. Tony has talked about this in the past, mentioning how exciting it was for him to finally get BTMR built in WDW as he had originally intended.
The FL version would have opened first but as you probably know it was put on hold due to Space Mountain being fast-tracked instead for the property. Once SM opened, DL felt lonely and wanted a new thrilling attraction of their own, so BTMR was redesigned to fit in near FantasyLand there as noted earlier.

I like both versions, but WDWs version is fantastic. DLs has a different feel and has more landscape, but in WDW you literally feel you are going to fling off those rails and fly right into the river. LOVE that extra thrill factor there..!
The DLP version gives the impression of being a combination of both.
I love that part over the river too!

As a coaster, DLP's version feels like the best one to me. A great ride. Putting the rocks on an island is novel and clever, but I actually prefer the looks of WDW best. DL is pretty much the same ride experience, but different scenery. Which is a blast if you are used to WDW. It's always fun to experience a slightly different version of a ride you know well. On points, I would give WDW a slight edge. Alwas liked the drowned village. You never have time to give it a good look, so it remains fresh.

Genie of the Lamp

A few days ago I saw Tony, Bruce and Craig having a heart-to-heart over a Le Fou's Brew... They eventually hugged it out.

U0ved1N.jpg

Greetings new/first time member and Welcome to WDWMAGIC!:) Thanks for updating/sharing with us the portrait of Barnabus T.Bullion. I'm so glad now to know that this poster is up and looking good.

Figments Friend

I love that part over the river too!

As a coaster, DLP's version feels like the best one to me. A great ride. Putting the rocks on an island is novel and clever, but I actually prefer the looks of WDW best. DL is pretty much the same ride experience, but different scenery. Which is a blast if you are used to WDW. It's always fun to experience a slightly different version of a ride you know well. On points, I would give WDW a slight edge. Alwas liked the drowned village. You never have time to give it a good look, so it remains fresh.

Oh heck yeah....i prefer the WDW version as well for many reasons, some of which you mentioned.
The flooded town Tumbleweed is great...to get a better view, you can ride the WDW Railroad right by it for some great photo ops. Don't miss the rattlesnake on the rock by the train tracks to your right when you pass by! Sit on a outside seat for a close up view.

:)

HMF

U0ved1N.jpg
Unless, It was simply not shown in the videos. I read this as WDI saying, "Oh no, The fanbase is on to us, put the dang portrait up just to shut them up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom