Boy dies after riding Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

autumndawn1006

BeachClubVillas said:
CNN is now reporting that the boy was unresponsive when the car pulled into the station after the ride:

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy died on a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Disney could not be reached for comment, and few details were available.

The boy was unresponsive in his seat at the end of the Rock 'N' Roller coaster ride, said Terry McElroy of the Florida Department of Agriculture, which regulates the industry.

:rolleyes:

The Department of Agriculture regulates roller coasters? Learn something new every day. They must enjoy inspecting The Land.

MicBat

autumndawn1006 said:
The Department of Agriculture regulates roller coasters? Learn something new every day. They must enjoy inspecting The Land.
:lol: :lol: That's the best post in this thread! Thanks for bringing some comic relief. :wave:

Number_6

I feel awful for what this family now has to endure, not only dealing with the loss of a child, but also needing to find someone that is willing to talk to the media for them because it's going to be crazy how many reporters will want quotes. The family won't be left alone for quite some time. Probably one of the only things the family has going in its favor is that if they live on base, they can get the media kept away from them.

WDWBro said:
http://2005.wpgb.com/script/headline_newsmanager_alt.php?id=494028&feed_id=59

Geez, not only is that not RnRc. IT'S AT DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE!

Can you seriously not find a picture of Rock n' Rollercoaster?

Odds are, they just did a google search for Rock n' Rollercoaster and came up with that in the list of results. The person involved in getting the image probably never went to WDW or DL and just assumed they had the right image. Still, it is pretty sad when one doesn't check they have their facts right.

IcicleM

Jeez, no one has ever died on Rock N' Roller Coaster before, I believe. But jeez, this is... wow. I mean, when I read the article, I couldn't believe it. It's just really baffling how this could have happened if the child didn't have any medical issues. I definetely send my condolences to the family, but... maybe it was something the family didn't know about? I know it's happened before.

To me...

My friend Caitlin had a very rare case of Leukemia, and it was undetectable by any type of regular tests. This family could easily have gone in for regular check ups with their son, and may not have known about it. He may have even had a brain tumor or anything, and it may have just been set off by this ride.

I don't know for sure what could have happened, but it could have been anything undetectable to doctors. If the ride didn't malfunction, then it's no ones fault. It's an absolute tragedy, and I can imagine how speechless the family must be.

nyfrenchy

I'll give my RATIONAL comment on this incident:
several copies (at least 4 that I know of) of RnRc exist around the world, in Disney and non-disney parks (yes that might be a shocker for some of you, Disney did not design this ride, the imagineers just added the building and the theming).

So on those four identical coasters, that have been in use for several years (up to 10), MILLIONS OF PEOPLE rode it, and MILLIONS did NOT die. One death out of MILLIONS IS STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and is the definitive and absolute proof that the coaster is not and cannot be blamed.

Unfortuantely, the concept of statistics is too far fetched for too many journalists. The concept of sensationalism however is much easier for them to grasp.

cherrynegra

mmssbrg2 said:
I'm shocked at some of the responses that this story is generating. Keep in mind that a family on vaction just experienced a tragedy. A mother and father just lost a son and a child just lost his older brother. All a lot of you can seem to do is throw insults and accusations around. What if this family was a visitor on this board and logged on to see statements of compassion and they saw accusations that they were at fault because they are idiots. That's deplorable.

Even the thougt that a competitor park had something to do with this is absolutely insane, insensitive, irresponsible, and uncalled for. Keep your unfounded conspiricy theories to yourself.

As for the news media. They are in the business to make money. Getting a scoop on competitors is part of the business. The Sentinal's initial report stated that details were scarce and they reported what they knew at the time. This is a newsworthy story and should be taken as exactly what it is, a tragedy. It's not some conspiricy by the news media or a competitor to hurt the company's reputation or profits.

Grow up and show some compassion.

My deepest condolences go out to the family and friends of this child.

Thank you for writing such a beautiful and elegant response. I concur completely with your comments.

abian

Corrus said:
But as life goes on... (it really does) There's no need to offend people on these forums...

Thanks.
But people on these forums have tried everyway they can to offend people work for media.

abian

wdwmagic said:
I dont agree. It's a new story if for example a ride fails mechanically, and there is an incident. However, it is not a news story when someone dies of natural causes.

Almost all of the deaths at WDW have been from natural causes, and yet at the time of the death, its treated as though Disney are at fault.

Why do the public need to know about death by natural causes? In my opionion, this should stay out the news.
The media are not saying it is 100 percent Disney's fault. Before weather or not the death is from natural has been comfirmed, sure media could report the story. Disney tries so hard to use media to advertise their porduct and I think it is fair enough.

Spring Breeze

I think he had something he was unaware of and died on it due to G-forces. I Think every guest should get a check up before visiting wdw. and it could happen anywhere anyway.

abian

mmssbrg2 said:
I'm shocked at some of the responses that this story is generating. Keep in mind that a family on vaction just experienced a tragedy. A mother and father just lost a son and a child just lost his older brother. All a lot of you can seem to do is throw insults and accusations around. What if this family was a visitor on this board and logged on to see statements of compassion and they saw accusations that they were at fault because they are idiots. That's deplorable.

Even the thougt that a competitor park had something to do with this is absolutely insane, insensitive, irresponsible, and uncalled for. Keep your unfounded conspiricy theories to yourself.

As for the news media. They are in the business to make money. Getting a scoop on competitors is part of the business. The Sentinal's initial report stated that details were scarce and they reported what they knew at the time. This is a newsworthy story and should be taken as exactly what it is, a tragedy. It's not some conspiricy by the news media or a competitor to hurt the company's reputation or profits.

I have finally seen a objective post not just try to defend Disney and call guests idiots.

Montu

nyfrenchy said:
several copies (at least 4 that I know of) of RnRc exist around the world, in Disney and non-disney parks (yes that might be a shocker for some of you, Disney did not design this ride, the imagineers just added the building and the theming).

So on those four identical coasters, that have been in use for several years (up to 10), MILLIONS OF PEOPLE rode it, and MILLIONS did NOT die. One death out of MILLIONS IS STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT and is the definitive and absolute proof that the coaster is not and cannot be blamed.

Unfortuantely, the concept of statistics is too far fetched for too many journalists. The concept of sensationalism however is much easier for them to grasp.

Well, your statistics are wrong, but I do agree with the idea behind them. Just for the record- there are three of that layout ride that were built by Vekoma: Two for Disney (Florida and Paris) and one for (at the time) Six Flags in Holland.

imagineer99

mmssbrg2 said:

Superlative post. I wish I could have written it so eloquently.

Unfortunately, everytime an event like this happens, it seems that it really brings out the worst in this message board community.

haveyoumetmark

The Associated Press got some facts wrong too, considering they are one of the biggest news outlets in the world. They go on to say that "At least 14 people have died at Disney's two theme parks in Florida and California since 1989." Wrong, that would be Disney's SIX theme parks in Florida and California, not two. OH, and I have this friend who lives 45 minutes away, she was watching local news, and look at the message she sent me...

sammertime1: someone died on the rockin rollercoaster
sammertime1: :eek:
sammertime1: they might shut it down

So, the media pulls through for us again! woot! ;)

Oops, sorry, I definitely would like to extend my condolences out to the family, what was supposed to be a fun trip, came out as a tragedy. There is really no one to blame in a situation like this and nothing can compensate for the life of a child. Terrible story to come out of Lake Buena Vista, hopefully we won't have to hear this again, or at least any time soon.

trr313

Spring Breeze said:
I think he had something he was unaware of and died on it due to G-forces. I Think every guest should get a check up before visiting wdw. and it could happen anywhere anyway.

Even a check up will not catch brain or heart problems unless they are obvious like a murmur, etc. I mean I have asked my primary care physician if it was okay for me to ride roller coasters and stuff at Disney World and he said sure. I have high blood pressure and diabetes but it is controlled with medicine, and I'm sure it's a risk I take. So I wouldn't always trust your doctor. So your right it can happen anywhere and anyway. :wave:

dopey

nyfrenchy said:

You can be sure that Disney spokespeople will make the point about the coaster operating safely, and it is a valid point. But the rarity of the incident is precisely why it IS newsworthy.

When you take your vacation to Disney World and your plane takes off and lands without incident, that is not news. When your plane is taken over by terrorists and is forced to crash, that IS news.

I recognize that not everybody understands news values, such as they are, but rare events involving prominent people, companies and institutions are considered newsworthy.

Unless people start dropping like flies on a daily basis at Disney parks, you can be sure that any death there will be on the news.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom