Boo to you and you and Whew... It’s too hot for a Halloween parade - A September TR

Hello friends and welcome to my September Trip Report! I’ve only been home a few weeks and I already miss Walt Disney World like crazy! I’m already going through withdrawals and searching for the possibility of any excuse to get back down to central Florida and to my favorite place on earth. Realistically, I’m thinking February or March 2013, but I would love to squeeze a trip in between now and then... Anyway, my last two Disney trips have been one extreme to the other - weather wise. I absolutely froze in December of 2010 and turned right around and melted in September 2011. But you know what? I LOVED every minute of it!

Click here to read my December 2010 trip report

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=718898

Now, on to the details of this trip...

When did we go? September 15-25, 2011
Where did we stay? Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House
How did we get there? We drove 8 and 1/2 hours
Who all went? Just me and my beautiful bride
Why did we go? Our 3 Year Anniversary! (Not that we need a reason to go to WDW)
Any other details to offer up? We had 9 day park hoppers and were on the dining plan

I started planning this trip before we even went on our December trip! Talk about excitement! Planning and thinking about two Disney trips at the same time was awesome!! Of course, with every trip to the World, our plans changed many times... but here is my pre trip report/itinerary so you can see what I planned and compare it to what we actually did.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=733892

We actually stuck to our plans, for the most part, at least until the end of the week. I was proud.

Ok, I stated earlier that on this particular trip, it was just me and my wife. Here we are...
First up, we have myself, Jon. Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred. The planner and over the top WDW fanatic.

DSCF4369.jpg

Next we have my better half, my gorgeous bride, Brittany. The WDW veteran who loves Disney but doesn’t obsess about it 24/7 like her hubby...

DSCF4368.jpg

Man, she’s hot!!

Anyway, we had been looking forward to this trip for a long time for many different reasons. Since we walked out of EPCOT on that last night in December, we had been longing to get back! I was so pumped that I packed like a week before our trip! I NEVER do that. I’m normally a last minute packer. I was so excited because, yes, I love WDW, but also this trip was going to allow us to experience a lot of firsts. This trip would be our first trip with “just us”; this trip would be our first staying at a deluxe Disney resort; and this trip would be our first time being on the Disney Dining Plan! Wooo Hooo! We were excited! So excited, in fact, that I was up at the crack of dawn 180 days before our check in date to schedule ADRs! Needless to say, we got all the restaurants and times that we wanted. Our departure day couldn’t come fast enough!

Thursday September 15, 2011

This day started like any other day. I got up, did my normal morning routine, and was ready to go to work. The only difference (besides my heart racing from excitement and anticipation) was the fact that we were leaving for vacation in just a few hours...
Having packed a week early and having stayed on Brittany to make sure all of her packing was finished on Wednesday night to avoid feeling rushed or stressed on Thursday morning, we were all set to go the second I got home from work around noon. As I left for work that morning, this was the sight I saw as I headed out the door...

IMG_0799.jpg

The time crept by at work that morning as it seemed to take forever for lunchtime to come. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve... Finally, it was 12:00 and it was time to start our journey! I flew out of the office and minutes later into my driveway. I ran through the door, changed clothes, and finished packing everything into our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Brittany had most of our stuff loaded up already. God bless her! We jumped in the Jeep and were ready to roll! Brittany wanted to drive because she said she had an anniversary surprise for me... I went along with it.
Our traditional in the vehicle, pre-departure photo...

DSCF4287.jpg

We were on our way! Brittany immediately handed me a thick envelope and told me to open it. When I did, I found a letter and a CD. The letter got mushy (I’ll spare you guys the details...) and instructed me to put the CD in. Each song on the CD had a special meaning which she explained in detail in my letter. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I love my girl! When we had listened to all of the songs, we pulled off the interstate and swung into a Chick-fil-a to grab a quite bite and got right back on the road. Now, it was my turn to take the wheel... and I had it for the rest of the trip.

77 South...

IMG_0800.jpg

I don’t mind road trips. They are fun for me. I think the anticipation makes my excitement grow higher and higher as I near my destination.
We were making great time! I was only stopping if we had to - for gas, food or bathroom and I had packed a couple of empty water jugs. Just kidding about that last part. For the next several hours, I looked like this...

IMG_0801.jpg

And Brittany looked like this...

IMG_0802.jpg

Typical. You get this woman in a moving automobile, and she instantly transforms into an infant. She was out, so I listened to a couple episodes of WDW Today and the Be Our Guest Podcast and of course I had to pop in The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over album. Britt doesn’t like The Eagles, so I have to take advantage of her slumber when I can...
It was around 7:30pm or so when we both started to get pretty hungry. I spotted a sign for our favorite road trip restaurant at the next exit, so we pulled off, fueled up, and filled our bellies...

IMG_0806.jpg

Love some Cracker Barrel!

We got back on the road and only had a couple more hours of driving ahead of us for the night until we reached our first destination.
Weeks before I had booked a room for $71 at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange City, Florida, which is only about an hour from Walt Disney World. Our plan was to stop there for the night, get up early the next morning, and have just a short drive to WDW so we wouldn’t feel like we were wasting a day of our precious vacation! The more time in the parks, the better, right?!? We pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at exactly 9:30pm.

IMG_0808.jpg

It had been a long day and we were tired (although I don’t know how Britt was tired considering she slept 90% of the drive), but I still had trouble sleeping because of the excitement of knowing that in the morning we would be at Disney World! I went to the restroom and when I came out, Britt was out again already. After catching a few highlights on SportsCenter, I finally drifted off to sleep...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Work can be sooo unconvenient!

Yes it can! :shrug:

Agreed! Work is what's keeping me from starting my TR!! :(
Love the Christmas store in DTD! We didn't get over there this trip since it was so short but we always get at least one ornament every trip. Our tree is practically all Disney! :)

Work will ruin a good TR! I agree that the Christmas store is wonderful!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Wednesday September 21 Continued...

After we stuffed our bellies, Adam and I took the trays back over to Cosmic Ray’s and by the time we got back, it was time for the Main Street Electrical Parade! Adam put Addison on his shoulders and I put Brock on mine so they could see better. That turned out to be a good choice because they enjoyed the parade very much!
Next up was the Magic, Memories and You castle show! All I will say is this is a MUST DO next time you are at WDW! I’ll shut up and let the pictures do the talking...

DSCF4088-2.jpg

DSCF4093-2.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

DSCF4095-2.jpg

DSCF4096-1.jpg

DSCF4097-4.jpg

DSCF4098-2.jpg

DSCF4099.jpg

DSCF4103-2.jpg

DSCF4101-2.jpg

The Magic, Memories and You was an awesome show! I was really blown away! It was so much better than I had expected!
I got a pretty good video of it on a different night. Click here for the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1vxlMUU6JU

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Wednesday September 21 Concluded...

After the Magic, Memories and You was over we got ready for Wishes! We had told Adam, Brandi and the kids all about it and how Tinkerbell flies out of the castle! Needless to say, they all were excited!

DSCF4108-4.jpg

I just love how the castle looks at night. I could take a million pictures of it, and I probably did! Here are just a few...

IMG_1015.jpg

DSCF4104-4.jpg

DSCF4105-3.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

We tried to let the crowds thin out a little before headed toward the exit, but people were not cooperating. We decided to go ahead and head down Main Street and toward the exit...

IMG_1019.jpg

Although I love this decoration, I hate seeing it at the end of a day at the Magic Kingdom...

IMG_1020.jpg

Whew! What a day!
We said goodbye to our friends, after making plans to meet them the next morning, and hopped on a bus to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were back and asleep in no time with visions of a great day of memories dancing in our heads...

Stay tuned - Only three days left... :(

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Thursday September 22, 2011

We were up early again on this morning so we could meet Adam, Brandi and the kids over at Disney’s Hollywood Studios for rope drop. You see, they are WDW newbies and they don’t know all the tricks of the trade, so they hadn’t gotten to ride Toy Story Midway Mania yet during their trip. We told them on Wednesday night in the Magic Kingdom that in order to ride it (at least once with little wait and possibly twice), they would get to get to DHS at park opening.
Brittany and I arrived at about 8:30am and just a few minutes later, they came rolling up. We took a few pictures outside of the gates before heading inside to line up with the rest of the crowd to make the mad dash to Pixar Place...

DSCF4001-5.jpg

DSCF4002-5.jpg

DSCF4003-4.jpg

This next picture came out darker... I don’t know why because it was taken on the same morning as the others. ?

IMG_1021.jpg

We lined up and only had to wait a few minutes before they dropped the rope and we were off toward Toy Story Midway Mania! When we got back to Pixar Place, the line to get FastPasses was longer than the stand by line, so Adam and I jumped in line while the women and children went to wait by the stand by entrance.
Once we finally got our FastPasses, we headed toward the entrance to meet up with everybody and then we headed on in via the stand by line, which was listed a 30 minutes. We didn’t wait near that long. The line was actually only about 15-20 minutes.
After our ride, Brock saw one of the green army men and wanted to go meet him!

IMG_1023.jpg

Next we decided to head back toward Hollywood Blvd to ride Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror while we waited on our Toy Story FastPass time...

IMG_1022.jpg

After our visit to G-Force Records and the Hollywood Tower Hotel, we headed back to Pixar Place to use our Toy Story FastPasses.
After another spin on Midway Mania, the plan was to head to EPCOT because Brandi wanted to ride Soarin’. Once again, they had tried to ride it earlier in the week, but got to the Land late in the afternoon so the FastPasses were already gone and the stand by line was just too long to wait in with the kids.
We jumped on the boat from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT and in no time we were arriving at the International Gateway...

IMG_1025.jpg

After a quick stop at the Sportsman shop in the United Kingdom, we were off to the Land!
We got to the Land and quickly grabbed FastPasses for Soarin’ and then jumped on Living with the Land.
After LwtL, it was getting close to lunch time, so we hit up Sunshine Seasons for some food!

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Thursday September 22 Continued...

After our delicious lunch at Sunshine Seasons, it was time for us to ride Soarin’! We turned in our FastPasses and were taking flight over California in no time flat! Soarin’ was great and everyone loved it, as I knew they would!
Next up was a visit to the Seas with Nemo and Friends...

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

After the Seas, I had to take Adam over to Club Cool so he could try the Beverly...

IMG_1031.jpg

I told him how good the Beverly was, so he took a BIG gulp! Haha, his face was priceless!!
Next we headed back to the Magic Kingdom to hit some of our favorites again there.
We started out in Adventureland with Pirates of the Caribbean...

IMG_1033.jpg

After Pirates, we made our way around the MK hitting our favorites and riding most of the attractions in Fantasyland for the kids along the way too. Brittany, Brandi and the kids wanted to go in to a couple of shops around the back of the castle, so Adam and I took advantage of a great opportunity for some photos...

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

DSCF4005-5.jpg

DSCF4007-5.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

The Magic Kingdom was just that, magical, that night (and every night for that matter), but we had to get back to EPCOT for our dinner ADRs...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We arrived at EPCOT at about 8:15pm for our 8:30pm dinner ADRs at Coral Reef! We were super excited to eat here! We had heard so many good things about this place. This was Adam, Brandi, Addison and Brock’s last night at Walt Disney World, and so we treated them to dinner so that hopefully they would remember this night and this trip with their friends forever.

DSCF4017-4.jpg

DSCF4016-4.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

The hostess took us to our table, which was in a great location! Almost immediately, our waitress came by and took our drink orders.
We talked and took a few pictures and just had a great time with great friends!

DSCF4010-5.jpg

Our waitress brought our drinks along with some bread and took our orders...

IMG_1041.jpg

It wasn’t long until our food came, and boy was it delicious!! I ordered the New York Strip and Brittany got the seared chicken breast. Both were SO very good!

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

By the time we had finished eating and talking, we were practically the only ones left in the restaurant. We took our time leaving and of course took some pictures on our way out...

IMG_1045.jpg

DSCF4011-4.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Thursday September 22 Concluded...

More shots as we left Coral Reef and EPCOT...

DSCF4015-1.jpg

DSCF4013-3.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

DSCF4020-3.jpg

DSCF4021-4.jpg

When we got to EPCOT bus stop, we sadly said goodbye to our friends and wished them safe travel on their way back home in the morning. We went our separate ways and back to our respective resorts after a long but wonderful day of park hopping.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady

After our delicious lunch at Sunshine Seasons, it was time for us to ride Soarin’! We turned in our FastPasses and were taking flight over California in no time flat! Soarin’ was great and everyone loved it, as I knew they would!
Next up was a visit to the Seas with Nemo and Friends...

IMG_1029.jpg

LOVE this shot!!:sohappy: I will have to try that angle next time.

Sounds like you had a very packed day, but lots of fun. Glad Brock got to experience some character meetings, I loved the way he was saluting :lol:

93boomer

Premium Member
I love the food at Sunshine Seasons! Try the beet salad with goat cheese next time if you haven't before. It is delish! Can't believe you tried the Beverly on your friend. :ROFLOL: That stuff is nasty! Nice shot of spaceship earth!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
LOVE this shot!!:sohappy: I will have to try that angle next time.
Sounds like you had a very packed day, but lots of fun. Glad Brock got to experience some character meetings, I loved the way he was saluting :lol:

Yeah, I was happy with how that shot turned out.
It was a busy day, but it was fun!
Brock LOVES Toy Story, so meeting the army man was a real treat for him. It was precious when he met Woody and Jessie later in the day (unfortunately, no pictures)... He said, "Hey Woody. Hey Jessie. Where's Bullseye?" It was adorable!!!

I love the food at Sunshine Seasons! Try the beet salad with goat cheese next time if you haven't before. It is delish! Can't believe you tried the Beverly on your friend. :ROFLOL: That stuff is nasty! Nice shot of spaceship earth!

Sunshine Seasons is great! Too many choices though. I can never decide on what to get!
Yeah, I had to get him on the Beverly. Haha. But I was a good sport... I took a big sip after he did since I tricked him. :hurl:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday September 23, 2011

We slept in a little bit on this morning, until 9:00am, before heading down to the bus stop. It was our second to last day at Walt Disney World and the plan was to hit two parks today and two tomorrow. Todays parks were Animal Kingdom and EPCOT.
First up was our final visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom on this trip.

IMG_1053.jpg

First things first. We headed directly to Asia and to Expedition Everest! EE is easily my favorite attraction at Animal Kingdom and second favorite in all of WDW, so I wanted to ride it as many times as possible today.
On the way to Asia, we came across this lovely lady...

DSCF4002-6.jpg

When we reached Everest, of course we jumped in the single riders line and were immediately on the way up the forbidden mountain.

IMG_1054.jpg

We rode EE several times in a row, thanks to the wonderful (and slightly hidden) single riders line!
After Expedition Everest, we headed toward Africa to hit our second favorite attraction at DAK... But first, a quick stop for my favorite snack at Disney World, the Mickey Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Sandwich!

IMG_1055.jpg

We admired the Tree of Life as we enjoyed our delicious snack...

IMG_1056.jpg

We finally made it across the park and to Africa, where we got directly in line for Kilimangaro Safaris! Here are some shots from our safari...

DSCF4007-6.jpg

DSCF4008-6.jpg

DSCF4012-3.jpg

DSCF4015-2.jpg

And my favorite shot of the newest addition to Disney’s Animal Kingdom...

DSCF4018-3.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday September 23 Continued...

A couple more shots from our safari...

DSCF4019-3.jpg

DSCF4023-5.jpg

DSCF4028-4.jpg

After our safari, we were starting to get hungry so we headed toward Flame Tree Barbecue! We went through the line, got our food and went down by the lake to find a seat.

DSCF4030_3.jpg

DSCF4031-2.jpg

Our food was very good, but our view was breathtaking...

IMG_1057.jpg

DSCF4032_2.jpg

DSCF4033-5.jpg

DSCF4034-3.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

fractal

Sunshine Seasons Rules!

I love the pictures inside Coral Reef. It got me thinking. We ate at Sanaa and with its safari animals.; you ate with marine life. WDW may be the only place in the world you can dine next to ostriches and sharks!

We also "crushed" the EE single rider line - we usually went right up to the front.:)

You sat at my favorite spot behind Flame Tree BBQ!

dnswalker

Thanks for the great trip report!
My husband and I are planning our 2nd Honeymoon Trip to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We will be going to WDW roughly the same time next year. (Sept. 11-20) You are providing us with some valuable information. We purchased the DDP and have been working on the table service restaurants we want to visit, and coincidently, they happen to be most of the ones you guys have patronized. The food looks wonderful and we can’t wait to try it ourselves.
Thanks again for sharing your memories with us and we look forward to more.

Aurora79

I'm loving this trip report! My husband and I go each year and we don't have any kids so I can really relate to your "style" of touring the parks. Your photos are awesome, especially the ones of all the little details in the MK. Reading your report gives me my Disney fix until our next trip.....only 47 more days!! Thank you, can't wait to read more. -A:sohappy:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Sunshine Seasons Rules!
I love the pictures inside Coral Reef. It got me thinking. We ate at Sanaa and with its safari animals.; you ate with marine life. WDW may be the only place in the world you can dine next to ostriches and sharks!
We also "crushed" the EE single rider line - we usually went right up to the front.:)
You sat at my favorite spot behind Flame Tree BBQ!

I believe you might just be right about dining with exotic animals of land and sea at WDW! Haha.

We ate at Sunshine Seasons for dinner for the first time last week and it was delicious! i had the chicken and mashed potatoes... YUM YUM!!! :slurp:

Sunshine Seasons is the best!

Thanks for the great trip report!
My husband and I are planning our 2nd Honeymoon Trip to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We will be going to WDW roughly the same time next year. (Sept. 11-20) You are providing us with some valuable information. We purchased the DDP and have been working on the table service restaurants we want to visit, and coincidently, they happen to be most of the ones you guys have patronized. The food looks wonderful and we can’t wait to try it ourselves.
Thanks again for sharing your memories with us and we look forward to more.

You're welcome! Thank you for reading!

I'm loving this trip report! My husband and I go each year and we don't have any kids so I can really relate to your "style" of touring the parks. Your photos are awesome, especially the ones of all the little details in the MK. Reading your report gives me my Disney fix until our next trip.....only 47 more days!! Thank you, can't wait to read more. -A:sohappy:

Thanks you so much for your kind words! More to come soon...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday September 23 Continued...

DSCF4036-5.jpg

DSCF4039-5.jpg

After lunch, we were back on our way toward the other side of the park because we wanted to make sure we got to see one of our favorite shows at Animal Kingdom and in all of Walt Disney World. As we headed toward Camp Minnie Mickey, we made a quick stop at the Tree of Life get a picture and to say hello to this guy...

DSCF4040-5.jpg

DSCF4041-3.jpg

In no time, we were arriving at Camp Minnie Mickey and just in time for the Festival of the Lion King!

DSCF4043_2.jpg

DSCF4044-3.jpg

DSCF4045_2.jpg

DSCF4046.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

DSCF4047-4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom