Boo to you and you and Whew... It’s too hot for a Halloween parade - A September TR

Hello friends and welcome to my September Trip Report! I’ve only been home a few weeks and I already miss Walt Disney World like crazy! I’m already going through withdrawals and searching for the possibility of any excuse to get back down to central Florida and to my favorite place on earth. Realistically, I’m thinking February or March 2013, but I would love to squeeze a trip in between now and then... Anyway, my last two Disney trips have been one extreme to the other - weather wise. I absolutely froze in December of 2010 and turned right around and melted in September 2011. But you know what? I LOVED every minute of it!

Click here to read my December 2010 trip report

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=718898

Now, on to the details of this trip...

When did we go? September 15-25, 2011
Where did we stay? Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House
How did we get there? We drove 8 and 1/2 hours
Who all went? Just me and my beautiful bride
Why did we go? Our 3 Year Anniversary! (Not that we need a reason to go to WDW)
Any other details to offer up? We had 9 day park hoppers and were on the dining plan

I started planning this trip before we even went on our December trip! Talk about excitement! Planning and thinking about two Disney trips at the same time was awesome!! Of course, with every trip to the World, our plans changed many times... but here is my pre trip report/itinerary so you can see what I planned and compare it to what we actually did.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=733892

We actually stuck to our plans, for the most part, at least until the end of the week. I was proud.

Ok, I stated earlier that on this particular trip, it was just me and my wife. Here we are...
First up, we have myself, Jon. Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred. The planner and over the top WDW fanatic.

DSCF4369.jpg

Next we have my better half, my gorgeous bride, Brittany. The WDW veteran who loves Disney but doesn’t obsess about it 24/7 like her hubby...

DSCF4368.jpg

Man, she’s hot!!

Anyway, we had been looking forward to this trip for a long time for many different reasons. Since we walked out of EPCOT on that last night in December, we had been longing to get back! I was so pumped that I packed like a week before our trip! I NEVER do that. I’m normally a last minute packer. I was so excited because, yes, I love WDW, but also this trip was going to allow us to experience a lot of firsts. This trip would be our first trip with “just us”; this trip would be our first staying at a deluxe Disney resort; and this trip would be our first time being on the Disney Dining Plan! Wooo Hooo! We were excited! So excited, in fact, that I was up at the crack of dawn 180 days before our check in date to schedule ADRs! Needless to say, we got all the restaurants and times that we wanted. Our departure day couldn’t come fast enough!

Thursday September 15, 2011

This day started like any other day. I got up, did my normal morning routine, and was ready to go to work. The only difference (besides my heart racing from excitement and anticipation) was the fact that we were leaving for vacation in just a few hours...
Having packed a week early and having stayed on Brittany to make sure all of her packing was finished on Wednesday night to avoid feeling rushed or stressed on Thursday morning, we were all set to go the second I got home from work around noon. As I left for work that morning, this was the sight I saw as I headed out the door...

IMG_0799.jpg

The time crept by at work that morning as it seemed to take forever for lunchtime to come. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve... Finally, it was 12:00 and it was time to start our journey! I flew out of the office and minutes later into my driveway. I ran through the door, changed clothes, and finished packing everything into our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Brittany had most of our stuff loaded up already. God bless her! We jumped in the Jeep and were ready to roll! Brittany wanted to drive because she said she had an anniversary surprise for me... I went along with it.
Our traditional in the vehicle, pre-departure photo...

DSCF4287.jpg

We were on our way! Brittany immediately handed me a thick envelope and told me to open it. When I did, I found a letter and a CD. The letter got mushy (I’ll spare you guys the details...) and instructed me to put the CD in. Each song on the CD had a special meaning which she explained in detail in my letter. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I love my girl! When we had listened to all of the songs, we pulled off the interstate and swung into a Chick-fil-a to grab a quite bite and got right back on the road. Now, it was my turn to take the wheel... and I had it for the rest of the trip.

77 South...

IMG_0800.jpg

I don’t mind road trips. They are fun for me. I think the anticipation makes my excitement grow higher and higher as I near my destination.
We were making great time! I was only stopping if we had to - for gas, food or bathroom and I had packed a couple of empty water jugs. Just kidding about that last part. For the next several hours, I looked like this...

IMG_0801.jpg

And Brittany looked like this...

IMG_0802.jpg

Typical. You get this woman in a moving automobile, and she instantly transforms into an infant. She was out, so I listened to a couple episodes of WDW Today and the Be Our Guest Podcast and of course I had to pop in The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over album. Britt doesn’t like The Eagles, so I have to take advantage of her slumber when I can...
It was around 7:30pm or so when we both started to get pretty hungry. I spotted a sign for our favorite road trip restaurant at the next exit, so we pulled off, fueled up, and filled our bellies...

IMG_0806.jpg

Love some Cracker Barrel!

We got back on the road and only had a couple more hours of driving ahead of us for the night until we reached our first destination.
Weeks before I had booked a room for $71 at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange City, Florida, which is only about an hour from Walt Disney World. Our plan was to stop there for the night, get up early the next morning, and have just a short drive to WDW so we wouldn’t feel like we were wasting a day of our precious vacation! The more time in the parks, the better, right?!? We pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at exactly 9:30pm.

IMG_0808.jpg

It had been a long day and we were tired (although I don’t know how Britt was tired considering she slept 90% of the drive), but I still had trouble sleeping because of the excitement of knowing that in the morning we would be at Disney World! I went to the restroom and when I came out, Britt was out again already. After catching a few highlights on SportsCenter, I finally drifted off to sleep...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Tuesday September 20 Continued...

Before we could sit down, the head honcho himself, Mickey Mouse, came by! Mickey was followed by Minnie, Donald and finally Pluto!
We love interacting with the characters at Chef Mickey’s! It is always so much fun!

DSCF4011-2.jpg

DSCF4016-2.jpg

DSCF4017-2.jpg

DSCF4021-2.jpg

It was almost 9:00am, and we were ready to go spend our anniversary together at the most magical place on earth, the Magic Kingdom! We said goodbye to Chef Mickey’s and went upstairs to catch the Monorail over to the MK.

IMG_0976.jpg

As we were waiting for the Monorail, I spotted the five-legged goat...

DSCF4023-3.jpg

Here comes the Monorail! Take us to the Magic Kingdom!

IMG_0978.jpg

We were at the Magic Kingdom in no time flat! I have GOT to stay at resort on the MK Monorail loop someday! The quick access to the MK would be so worth the extra money!
We entered the Magic Kingdom and decided that since I had never ridden the Walt Disney World Railroad (I know. It’s a shame), that we would take the relaxing ride around the park.

DSCF4024_3.jpg

I love how this next shot turned out...

DSCF4025-3.jpg

All aboard!

IMG_0980.jpg

The Walt Disney World Railroad was nice, but not something I have to do on each and every trip.
By now we were ready to get to some of our favorite Magic Kingdom attractions, so into the MK we went...

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
I really need to try Chef Mickey's, and resort dining in general, as I've only done WCC at WL. So noted for next trip someday.

Anyway, excellent report, and yes, I like the shot with your reflection in the window too. Glad you had a nice anniversary breakfast, what better place right? :)

lbrad

Love Chef Mickey's ...
We celebrated DD's graduation there this summer ... love how they celebrate with you!!!

Happy Anniversary :sohappy:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
I really need to try Chef Mickey's, and resort dining in general, as I've only done WCC at WL. So noted for next trip someday.
Anyway, excellent report, and yes, I like the shot with your reflection in the window too. Glad you had a nice anniversary breakfast, what better place right? :)

Chef Mickey's is great for breakfast but I've heard some not so good things about dinner there... just a head's up.
Thanks for reading!

Love Chef Mickey's ...
We celebrated DD's graduation there this summer ... love how they celebrate with you!!!
Happy Anniversary :sohappy:

:) Thanks!

wow great report!

Thank you!!!!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We made our way down Main Street once again and found ourselves taking our time more than normal and soaking up all the details that make Disney so special.
During this trip I found that the fall decorations at WDW are a close second to the Christmas ones and we often stopped and just admired all of the fall decor - like this guy...

DSCF4030_2.jpg

Again, we headed for Tomorrowland first and hit Buzz Lightyear!

IMG_0982.jpg

After Buzz, we did Space Mountain and the TTA before heading over to Fantasyland where we took a spin on the Mad Tea Party.

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Next we stumbled over to the Haunted Mansion, followed by Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and of course Splash Mountain.

DSCF4032.jpg

DSCF4033_2.jpg

DSCF4031_2.jpg

After Splash, we headed out of Frontierland and in to Adventureland, but not without getting one last shot...

DSCF4034-2.jpg

The first thing we did upon entering Frontierland was hop on Pirates of the Caribbean! Next we wanted to check out the new, old Tiki Room, so we headed in to the practically empty queue...

DSCF4035-3.jpg

DSCF4039-3.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

After just a few minutes, the doors to the Tiki Room opened and we headed inside...

DSCF4040-3.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

The tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room was ok and I’m glad I got to see the original version, but it’s another one of those attractions that I would not do on each and every trip to WDW.
As we exited, I was thinking to myself that I was hot and thirsty and since we were already in Adventureland, why not grab one of the best snacks in WDW?!?
I’ll give you one guess where we headed next...
Yep! Where else but Aloha Isle for a Dole Whip float?!

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

Since I had just gotten to use one of my snack credits, Brittany wanted to use one of hers as well. She had her mind on a treat located on Main Street, so we left Adventureland and headed that way. As we crossed the new Adventureland bridge, I turned around to get a shot of it...

DSCF4041-1.jpg

Toward Main Street we went, heading directly for Casey’s Corner to get Brittany her beloved corn dog nuggets!

DSCF4043-3.jpg

DSCF4044-2.jpg

We got in line and got her corn dog nuggets and then went outside to find a place to sit. Well, it was very crowded around Casey’s, so we headed to a little place I knew that wouldn’t be very crowded at all (it never is). So, back down Main Street we went toward the train station...

DSCF4047-2.jpg

Then we hung a left toward the private little area that I was talking about...

DSCF4049-2.jpg

We sat down in the shade and relaxed and we were all by ourselves enjoying the delicious corn dog nuggets!

DSCF4050-1.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

DSCF4051-2.jpg

Such a peaceful little spot.

Brittany finished her snack and we decided it was about time to leave the Magic Kingdom and head back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge to freshen up and change clothes for our anniversary dinner.
As we made our way toward the exit, we had to make a quick pit stop in to the Main Street Bakery to check out all the goodies!
Even the sweets were decorated for fall/Halloween!

DSCF4052-1.jpg

DSCF4053-1.jpg

DSCF4054-1.jpg

We left the bakery and the Magic Kingdom and caught a bus back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We freshened up and got changed and were ready to head back out to our anniversary dinner! We stopped in the AKL Jambo House lobby once again for some pictures...

DSCF4063-2.jpg

DSCF4062_2.jpg

We headed down to the AKL bus stop to catch a bus to the TTC, so we could take the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom so that we could catch a boat to Fort Wilderness because we wanted to check the Settlement Trading Post (gift shop) for a Fort Wilderness souvenir for Brittany’s mom before dinner. Whew!

DSCF4065-2.jpg

DSCF4069-1.jpg

DSCF4072-1.jpg

DSCF4070-1.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

A few more shots from our boat ride from the Magic Kingdom to Fort Wilderness...

DSCF4073-4.jpg

DSCF4074-3.jpg

DSCF4075-2.jpg

DSCF4076_2.jpg

Finally, we arrived at Fort Wilderness...

DSCF4079-2.jpg

DSCF4080-2.jpg

Unfortunately they didn't have what we were looking for. Disney has really cut back on resort specific merchandise and I hope they start offering more soon.
We were cutting it close on time, so we jumped back on a boat, this time to the Contemporary Resort. From there we took the Monorail to the Polynesian, the location of our anniversary dinner.

DSCF4081-1.jpg

We actually made good time getting to the Poly, so we decided to check out the resort for a bit before dinner...

DSCF4082.jpg

DSCF4084-3.jpg

DSCF4086-3.jpg

Our ADR’s were for 8:15pm and it was about 8:00, so we headed upstairs to check in...

[Find out in my next installment where we ate...]

93boomer

Premium Member
Ohh such cute pictures on your anniversary! You'll remember that day forever! Big bonus to be at WDW too! Cannot wait to see where and what you'll be eating. Your food pictures always make me hungry!:)

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Ohh such cute pictures on your anniversary! You'll remember that day forever! Big bonus to be at WDW too! Cannot wait to see where and what you'll be eating. Your food pictures always make me hungry!:)

Thanks, there are more to come :animwink: and more food pics too...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We headed up the stairs in the Polynesian’s lobby and proceeded to check in for our anniversary dinner at...

‘Ohana!!

IMG_0992.jpg

They gave us a pager and we took a seat in the lobby for a little while. Before too long, our pager went off and it was time to eat! We were hungry, but not for long...
The hostess greeted us, wished us a happy anniversary and took us to our table.
We walked past the grill on our way to our table. Man, did it smell and look good!

DSCF4090-1.jpg

We continued on toward the back of the restaurant and finally the hostess stopped at the perfect table by a huge window facing the Magic Kingdom!
Our view for dinner...

DSCF4091-4.jpg

Can you see the castle?!?

This next shot is looking back into the restaurant from our table...

DSCF4095-1.jpg

We were psyched about our table and our view, but now we were ready to eat!
Just then, our waiter came by and introduced himself, wished us a happy anniversary and took our drink orders.
After just a few minutes, he was back with our drinks and some delicious pineapple bread.

DSCF4094-1.jpg

The bread was awesome! I could have eaten the whole loaf myself, but I knew I would need to save as much room as possible for the rest of the meal.
When our waited brought our drinks and bread, we ordered a famous Lapu Lapu drink, you know, since we were celebrating, and he was back with it in no time!
Wow, it was strong - but good!

DSCF4097-3.jpg

Our waiter was even nice enough to offer to take our picture...

DSCF4096.jpg

Next up was the salad...

DSCF4104-3.jpg

As Brittany ate some salad, I headed up to the grill for a closer look...

DSCF4105-2.jpg

DSCF4106-3.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Tuesday September 20 Concluded...

Being up at the grill just made me hungrier, so I headed back to the table.
That turned out to be a good choice because our waiter had just brought pork fried dumplings, noodles, chicken wings and mixed steamed vegetables...

DSCF4108-3.jpg

DSCF4109-2.jpg

DSCF4110-2.jpg

Everything was so good!
Next up, he brought the different kinds of meat on skewers. The meats included steak, BBQ pork, chicken and shrimp!

DSCF4112-1.jpg

DSCF4114-4.jpg

OMG, the meat was awesome! I only wish I hadn’t ate as much of the other food so I could have enjoyed more!
I was stuffed and couldn’t eat another bite when our waiter came back and offered us dessert. We said no way! He then told us that HalloWishes was about to start and that he would bring us dessert after the fireworks. He said we would not regret it, so we say okay.
They dimmed the lights in ‘Ohana and turned the island music off. Suddenly, the HalloWishes music was streaming through the speakers in ‘Ohana and we were watching the show from across the Seven Seas Lagoon! It was AWESOME!!

DSCF4117-3.jpg

DSCF4128-2.jpg

HalloWishes was great! Not as good as being in the Magic Kingdom, but it was a cool perspective for sure.
Just then, our waiter shows up with dessert... bread pudding with banana foster sauce. There are no words for how good this was. I sure am glad we stuck around for dessert!

DSCF4131-2.jpg

We were stuffed and decided to call it a night and head back to our room...
We waddled out of ‘Ohana and back downstairs to the gift shop and to get a few pictures. A nice couple stopped and took this one of us...

DSCF4141-1.jpg

We headed back upstairs and caught the Monorail back over to the Contemporary where our Jeep was still parked from this morning...
We drove back to AKL where I had a surprise for Brittany already waiting in the room...

DSCF4142.jpg

I had called the WDW Florist a few days before our trip and told them I wanted the flowers delivered at around 8:00pm while we were at dinner.
She was so surprised! It was a perfect end to a perfect day!
It will tough to beat this anniversary in the future...

TheMouseFan

Those flowers are beautiful. What a great husband you are!!

Your view from Ohana was great. We had the same view the morning we went for breakfast. We were at the big table in the corner along that wall of windows. The food looks fantastic. Maybe we will try dinner next time instead of breakfast. Or maybe both!!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Those flowers are beautiful. What a great husband you are!!
Your view from Ohana was great. We had the same view the morning we went for breakfast. We were at the big table in the corner along that wall of windows. The food looks fantastic. Maybe we will try dinner next time instead of breakfast. Or maybe both!!

Thanks! :eek:
We'll eat at 'Ohana for breakfast and you guys eat there for dinner! Deal?!?! Haha. I'm with you, let's do BOTH!

PolynesianPrincess

Those are some beautiful flowers! :)

Love the pics from Chef Mickey's. I think that's by far the best place to meet the Fab 5!

'Ohana looks so good. Nice choice for your anniversary dinner. We're eating there on Friday for the first time. There are no words to express how excited I am for this dinner!!! lol

93boomer

Premium Member
Yum! The food did look good! I did not know they turned out the lights and did that at Ohana. We definitely will do that next time.
Ohh you are such a sweet husband. Now just remember your anniversary every year and don't screw it up! My DH hasn't forgotten ours once in 31 years! Yeah you really set the bar high. From now on, you have to outdo this one. :ROFLOL:

plaz10

I'm finally all caught up.

First off - a warning would have been nice on the giant snake pic on jungle trek. :lol: Can't get that image out of my head now

Second - LOVE the anniversary. The whole day. From breakfast to dinner/fireworks = awesome. What a fabulous place to celebrate an anniversary.

Loving the TR. Can't wait to read more

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Those are some beautiful flowers! :)
Love the pics from Chef Mickey's. I think that's by far the best place to meet the Fab 5!
'Ohana looks so good. Nice choice for your anniversary dinner. We're eating there on Friday for the first time. There are no words to express how excited I am for this dinner!!! lol

Thanks! I agree about Chef Mickey's! We're not trying to wait in line in the parks to meet characters, so why not let them come to us?!?
You will LOVE 'Ohana!!!

Yum! The food did look good! I did not know they turned out the lights and did that at Ohana. We definitely will do that next time.
Ohh you are such a sweet husband. Now just remember your anniversary every year and don't screw it up! My DH hasn't forgotten ours once in 31 years! Yeah you really set the bar high. From now on, you have to outdo this one. :ROFLOL:

The food was unreal! Yeah, I kinda got lucky on the whole HalloWishes thing... That wasn't planned, but it worked out perfectly!
Our anniversary was great! It is going to be tough to top that one...

I'm finally all caught up.
First off - a warning would have been nice on the giant snake pic on jungle trek. :lol: Can't get that image out of my head now
Second - LOVE the anniversary. The whole day. From breakfast to dinner/fireworks = awesome. What a fabulous place to celebrate an anniversary.
Loving the TR. Can't wait to read more

Yay! Sorry, I'm writing this as I go, so thanks for hanging in there!
Sorry about the snake pic. I just thought it was cool.
Yeah, that anniversary will probably not be topped... as least for a while...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Wednesday September 21, 2011

We had another early get up on this morning, but it was for a good reason. We were headed back to the Magic Kingdom, but this time we would be entering the park before park opening! The MK didn’t open until 9:00am, so I purposely made an ADR at Cinderella’s Royal Table for breakfast at 8:30am so we could not only eat in the castle, but also go in to the park before it opened! We actually arrived at about 8:10 so that we could take our time and not be too rushed on this unique morning. There is just something about being in the Magic Kingdom when it practically empty... I guess because it is always so crowded, it just a cool experience to be able to walk down Main Street without shoulder to shoulder crowds. And of course it makes for some cool pictures!
So in to the Magic Kingdom we went, while crowds of people had to wait outside... It was great! Although we were in the MK early, we weren’t the first ones there. A few guys and gals were already inside waiting on us...

DSCF4003-3.jpg

DSCF4002-4.jpg

We stopped for a minute to say hello to Roy and Minnie and then we decided to head down an empty Main Street USA...

DSCF4006-2.jpg

And of course we had to stop to take advantage of this unique PhotoPass opportunity...

DSCF4004-2.jpg

DSCF4007-4.jpg

DSCF4008-5.jpg

When we got to the main hub, we turned around to admire the empty Main Street looking back toward the train station...

DSCF4009-2.jpg

DSCF4010-4.jpg

I love this different shot of the Partners statue...

DSCF4011-3.jpg

We were still a few minutes early for breakfast, so we took our time and checked out things in and around the castle for a few..

DSCF4014-4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom