Boo to you and you and Whew... It’s too hot for a Halloween parade - A September TR

Hello friends and welcome to my September Trip Report! I’ve only been home a few weeks and I already miss Walt Disney World like crazy! I’m already going through withdrawals and searching for the possibility of any excuse to get back down to central Florida and to my favorite place on earth. Realistically, I’m thinking February or March 2013, but I would love to squeeze a trip in between now and then... Anyway, my last two Disney trips have been one extreme to the other - weather wise. I absolutely froze in December of 2010 and turned right around and melted in September 2011. But you know what? I LOVED every minute of it!

Click here to read my December 2010 trip report

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=718898

Now, on to the details of this trip...

When did we go? September 15-25, 2011
Where did we stay? Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House
How did we get there? We drove 8 and 1/2 hours
Who all went? Just me and my beautiful bride
Why did we go? Our 3 Year Anniversary! (Not that we need a reason to go to WDW)
Any other details to offer up? We had 9 day park hoppers and were on the dining plan

I started planning this trip before we even went on our December trip! Talk about excitement! Planning and thinking about two Disney trips at the same time was awesome!! Of course, with every trip to the World, our plans changed many times... but here is my pre trip report/itinerary so you can see what I planned and compare it to what we actually did.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=733892

We actually stuck to our plans, for the most part, at least until the end of the week. I was proud.

Ok, I stated earlier that on this particular trip, it was just me and my wife. Here we are...
First up, we have myself, Jon. Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred. The planner and over the top WDW fanatic.

DSCF4369.jpg

Next we have my better half, my gorgeous bride, Brittany. The WDW veteran who loves Disney but doesn’t obsess about it 24/7 like her hubby...

DSCF4368.jpg

Man, she’s hot!!

Anyway, we had been looking forward to this trip for a long time for many different reasons. Since we walked out of EPCOT on that last night in December, we had been longing to get back! I was so pumped that I packed like a week before our trip! I NEVER do that. I’m normally a last minute packer. I was so excited because, yes, I love WDW, but also this trip was going to allow us to experience a lot of firsts. This trip would be our first trip with “just us”; this trip would be our first staying at a deluxe Disney resort; and this trip would be our first time being on the Disney Dining Plan! Wooo Hooo! We were excited! So excited, in fact, that I was up at the crack of dawn 180 days before our check in date to schedule ADRs! Needless to say, we got all the restaurants and times that we wanted. Our departure day couldn’t come fast enough!

Thursday September 15, 2011

This day started like any other day. I got up, did my normal morning routine, and was ready to go to work. The only difference (besides my heart racing from excitement and anticipation) was the fact that we were leaving for vacation in just a few hours...
Having packed a week early and having stayed on Brittany to make sure all of her packing was finished on Wednesday night to avoid feeling rushed or stressed on Thursday morning, we were all set to go the second I got home from work around noon. As I left for work that morning, this was the sight I saw as I headed out the door...

IMG_0799.jpg

The time crept by at work that morning as it seemed to take forever for lunchtime to come. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve... Finally, it was 12:00 and it was time to start our journey! I flew out of the office and minutes later into my driveway. I ran through the door, changed clothes, and finished packing everything into our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Brittany had most of our stuff loaded up already. God bless her! We jumped in the Jeep and were ready to roll! Brittany wanted to drive because she said she had an anniversary surprise for me... I went along with it.
Our traditional in the vehicle, pre-departure photo...

DSCF4287.jpg

We were on our way! Brittany immediately handed me a thick envelope and told me to open it. When I did, I found a letter and a CD. The letter got mushy (I’ll spare you guys the details...) and instructed me to put the CD in. Each song on the CD had a special meaning which she explained in detail in my letter. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I love my girl! When we had listened to all of the songs, we pulled off the interstate and swung into a Chick-fil-a to grab a quite bite and got right back on the road. Now, it was my turn to take the wheel... and I had it for the rest of the trip.

77 South...

IMG_0800.jpg

I don’t mind road trips. They are fun for me. I think the anticipation makes my excitement grow higher and higher as I near my destination.
We were making great time! I was only stopping if we had to - for gas, food or bathroom and I had packed a couple of empty water jugs. Just kidding about that last part. For the next several hours, I looked like this...

IMG_0801.jpg

And Brittany looked like this...

IMG_0802.jpg

Typical. You get this woman in a moving automobile, and she instantly transforms into an infant. She was out, so I listened to a couple episodes of WDW Today and the Be Our Guest Podcast and of course I had to pop in The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over album. Britt doesn’t like The Eagles, so I have to take advantage of her slumber when I can...
It was around 7:30pm or so when we both started to get pretty hungry. I spotted a sign for our favorite road trip restaurant at the next exit, so we pulled off, fueled up, and filled our bellies...

IMG_0806.jpg

Love some Cracker Barrel!

We got back on the road and only had a couple more hours of driving ahead of us for the night until we reached our first destination.
Weeks before I had booked a room for $71 at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange City, Florida, which is only about an hour from Walt Disney World. Our plan was to stop there for the night, get up early the next morning, and have just a short drive to WDW so we wouldn’t feel like we were wasting a day of our precious vacation! The more time in the parks, the better, right?!? We pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at exactly 9:30pm.

IMG_0808.jpg

It had been a long day and we were tired (although I don’t know how Britt was tired considering she slept 90% of the drive), but I still had trouble sleeping because of the excitement of knowing that in the morning we would be at Disney World! I went to the restroom and when I came out, Britt was out again already. After catching a few highlights on SportsCenter, I finally drifted off to sleep...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday September 23 Continued...

More shots from the Festival of the Lion King...

DSCF4049-4.jpg

DSCF4050-3.jpg

DSCF4052-3.jpg

DSCF4053-3.jpg

DSCF4056-4.jpg

DSCF4057-3.jpg

DSCF4059-3.jpg

DSCF4062-4.jpg

DSCF4069-3.jpg

DSCF4072-2.jpg

The Festival of the Lion King is an awesome show and it is a must do on every visit to Walt Disney World for us. SO much energy and fun goes in to this show and they always get the crowd (and especially the kids) involved.
When the show was over, we headed toward the Animal Kingdom exit because we needed to get to our second park of the day... EPCOT!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We jumped on a bus and were pulling in at EPCOT in no time flat! It was a BEAUTIFUL day, so it looked like I might get my coveted pictures of World Showcase! We quickly headed inside and planned on going straight to World Showcase, but when we saw that there was absolutely no wait for Spaceship Earth, we decided to take a ride...

DSCF4073-6.jpg

After SSE, it was time for some World Showcase!! We started on the Canada side, but I didn’t get any pictures of the Canada pavilion on this day because I did get to shoot it earlier in the week before the rain came.
So, the first stop on our journey around the world was in the United Kingdom!

DSCF4074-5.jpg

DSCF4075-4.jpg

DSCF4076-2.jpg

Had to take a break from shooting to make a quick call...

DSCF4077-1.jpg

DSCF4079-3.jpg

DSCF4080-3.jpg

DSCF4082-1.jpg

A look back across World Showcase Lagoon as we left the United Kingdom pavilion...

DSCF4083-3.jpg

After spending some time in the UK, it was time to cross the bridge and head to the France pavilion...

DSCF4084-4.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

The France pavilion is beautiful. I only wish I had more time to explore and take pictures. Brittany is not a fan of World Showcase. She likes to walk around it like once per trip, but she couldn’t care less about going in and out of each pavilion and looking at all of the little details. Oh well, maybe if I ever get to take my solo trip... Haha. I’m sure that will never happen.
Anyway, back to France...

DSCF4085-3.jpg

DSCF4086-4.jpg

DSCF4087-2.jpg

We stopped to watch these guys for a few minutes. The guy doing the balancing was amazing while the guy that kept blowing the whistle was just annoying...

DSCF4089_2.jpg

DSCF4092-4.jpg

DSCF4093_2.jpg

Next up was a stop at Morocco! I had never taken the time to really explore this pavilion before, and although I’d like to spend more time here in the future, I got to spend a little time checking things out on this visit...

DSCF4094-2.jpg

DSCF4095-3.jpg

DSCF4096-2.jpg

DSCF4097-5.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

More shots from Morocco...

DSCF4098_2.jpg

DSCF4099-1.jpg

DSCF4100-2.jpg

DSCF4101-3.jpg

Next up was the Japan pavilion...

DSCF4102-3.jpg

DSCF4103_2.jpg

DSCF4104-5.jpg

DSCF4105-4.jpg

And a couple of shots looking back across World Showcase Lagoon at Spaceship Earth from Japan...

DSCF4107-2.jpg

DSCF4108-5.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

After Japan, we were on our way toward the American pavilion. On the way we noticed that they we already preparing for Illuminations...

DSCF4109-3.jpg

Next up was the American pavilion. We didn’t spend much time here because we had done the American Adventure earlier in the week and checked things out then. Here are a couple of the shots I did get...

DSCF4110-3.jpg

DSCF4111-4.jpg

We kept heading around World Showcase counter clock wise, and our next stop was Italy...

DSCF4112-2.jpg

DSCF4113-3.jpg

DSCF4114-5.jpg

DSCF4115-3.jpg

DSCF4116-1.jpg

Continuing on, we stopped for a few minutes to check out the area right before you get to the Germany pavilion...

DSCF4117-4.jpg

DSCF4118-2.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

Next was Germany. I absolutely love the architecture in the Germany pavilion. It’s probably my favorite in World Showcase.

DSCF4121.jpg

DSCF4122-2.jpg

DSCF4123-2.jpg

DSCF4124-2.jpg

DSCF4125-2.jpg

And another shot looking back across the World Showcase Lagoon at some of the countries we had already visited...

DSCF4127-3.jpg

The next country on our trip around the world was China...

DSCF4129-2.jpg

DSCF4130.jpg

DSCF4132-4.jpg

DSCF4134.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

China pavilion continued...

DSCF4135-1.jpg

DSCF4136-1.jpg

DSCF4138-1.jpg

Next up was one of my favorite pavilions in World Showcase, Norway!

DSCF4140-2.jpg

DSCF4141_2.jpg

DSCF4142-1.jpg

DSCF4143_2.jpg

DSCF4144.jpg

The wait time for Maelstrom was posted at 20 minutes, but we weren’t buying that, so we hopped in line. It turned out that we were right because we ended up only waiting about 10 minutes! There is not much to the Maelstrom attraction, but I still love it and make a point to ride it each time I’m at EPCOT.
After our ride, I got a few more shots of Norway as we headed out of the pavilion...

DSCF4146-2.jpg

DSCF4148-1.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

After Norway, we came to the final country on our trip around World Showcase, Mexico!

DSCF4151-1.jpg

DSCF4152-1.jpg

DSCF4153-2.jpg

DSCF4154-1.jpg

We saw Donald hanging out, so we decided to go check out his attraction...

DSCF4156-1.jpg

DSCF4161-1.jpg

DSCF4162-1.jpg

After our ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour, we were almost ready for dinner, but we had about an hour to kill... I remembered that we hadn’t ridden Mission Space yet this trip, so we headed that way.
Brittany doesn’t ride this attraction, so she waited outside while I rode (the intense version of course). Haha.

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

After Mission Space, we headed back to Mexico to check in for our last ADR of the trip at San Angel Inn! I was so excited to finally eat here because I had always wanted to and not just because I love Mexican food, but because I love the atmosphere inside of San Angel Inn.

DSCF4168.jpg

DSCF4169.jpg

When I made our ADRs at the 180 day mark, I mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary during the trip, so when we checked in, we were told they had saved the best table in the house for us!
The host took us to a table right in the corner next to the water. It was perfect.

DSCF4170.jpg

DSCF4171.jpg

DSCF4175.jpg

I forgot to get pictures of our food, but we both got the steak and really enjoyed it!
After we finished eating, we were kind of in a hurry because we wanted to get a good spot for Illuminations!
Just then, our waiter came by and brought us our dessert...

IMG_1075.jpg

Our meal was very good. Probably not a must do on every trip but I’m definitely glad we gave it a try.
We quickly got our check and headed outside to get a good spot for Illuminations Reflections of Earth!
I love the excitement before any Disney fireworks show starts. Everyone seems so anxious and excited!

IMG_1076.jpg

DSCF4176.jpg

DSCF4177.jpg

And just then, BOOM, Illuminations was under way...

DSCF4179.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Friday September 23 Concluded...

After Illuminations, I wanted to make one more loop back around World Showcase because my favorite time being in WS is at night. Like the other Disney parks, it is just so much more magical at night...

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

After our trip back around World Showcase, we headed to Future World and toward EPCOT’s exit. It was sad because we wouldn’t be back to EPCOT during this trip. I always hate leaving a park for the last time on a given trip... but it’s okay because I knew we would be back eventually...

93boomer

Premium Member
Great pictures again!! And hey, Brittany, I don't do Mission Space either. My DH loves it though! Ahh yeah the last day in one of the parks makes me sad too! I actually get teary!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday September 24, 2011

Our last day at Walt Disney World...

Today was bittersweet, but we still got up early and were excited about getting to our two favorite parks, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the Magic Kingdom!
We headed downstairs and to the bus stop and before long we were off to Hollywood Studios!
It was a gorgeous day, not a cloud in the sky! It was a perfect day to close out our Disney Anniversary trip!

DSCF4001-6.jpg

DHS was crowded, but not nearly as crowded as it had been earlier in the week. Of course, we headed directly for Toy Story Midway Mania to get FastPasses and to get in the stand by line before it got ridiculous.
After our TSMM, we headed over and hit up Tower of Terror and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster a couple of times each. By this time we were starting to get hungry, so we started looking for a place to grab some counter service lunch back toward the middle of the park.

DSCF4002-7.jpg

DSCF4003-5.jpg

We finally decided on the abc Commissary...

DSCF4004_2.jpg

DSCF4005-6.jpg

Our lunch was okay, but I have to agree with the guys from the WDW Today podcast in that DHS is lacking in counter service options...
As we exited the abc Commissary, we checked to see if it was time to use our Toy Story FastPasses yet. It was, so we headed that way!
After TSMM, we headed all the way to the other side of the park to do one of our favorite shows that we hadn’t gotten to do yet during this trip... Lights, Motors, Action!

DSCF4006-3.jpg

DSCF4009-3.jpg

I had read about a “new addition” to the show, but couldn’t wait to check it out for myself. Of course, I’m talking about Lightning McQueen!

DSCF4013-4.jpg

DSCF4015-3.jpg

Mater even made an appearance on the big screen...

DSCF4027-3.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday September 24 Continued...

Lights, Motors, Action was a great show, as usual, and I actually liked the new Cars addition.
Well, as much as we love Disney’s Hollywood Studios, it was time to head toward the exit... We walked past Echo Lake and through a couple of shops and I got a few last pictures as we sadly made our way toward the gates...

DSCF4046-2.jpg

DSCF4047-5.jpg

DSCF4048-1.jpg

Goodbye for this trip, Hollywood Studios...

DSCF4049-5.jpg

We weren’t sad for long though because not long after leaving DHS, we were entering the Magic Kingdom! Main Street was packed as the afternoon parade was about to start, so we darted in to the shops on the right hand side of Main Street to do some browsing while making our way toward the main hub.

DSCF4052-4.jpg

DSCF4050-4.jpg

DSCF4054-2.jpg

Next is a picture of what I bought for Brittany for an anniversary gift...

DSCF4055_3.jpg

Haha. Just kidding. Did you see that price tag on that thing?!? $37,500!!! Who would buy that?!? I mean, it’s awesome, but really, who is forking over THAT kind of money for a replica of Cinderella Castle?!? Crazy. Anyway, we continued through the shops on Main Street and finally exited out onto the street and into the park.

Some sweets...

DSCF4056-5.jpg

I love the jack-o-lanterns in this shot...

DSCF4057-4.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We finally reached the end of Main Street and headed right, as we normally do, toward Tomorrowland and more importantly, Space Mountain!

DSCF4058-3.jpg

DSCF4059-4.jpg

After Space, we hit Buzz Lightyear and the TTA before heading over to Liberty Square to ride Haunted Mansion. Next, we headed over to Frontierland to do Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad...

DSCF4060-3.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

DSCF4069-4.jpg

DSCF4070-3.jpg

DSCF4065-3.jpg

DSCF4067-3.jpg

DSCF4066-4.jpg

DSCF4068-3.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

After Splash and the wildest ride in the wilderness, we made our way in to Adventureland for a spin on Pirates of the Caribbean...

DSCF4061-3.jpg

After Pirates, we wandered around Adventureland for a while checking out everything and just soaking up everything on our last evening at the Magic Kingdom...

DSCF4063-4.jpg

DSCF4064-2.jpg

We wanted to make sure we got a great spot for the Main Street Electrical Parade, the Magic, Memories and You and Wishes, so we made our way around the castle and over to Main Street and claimed some prime time seats...

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

We had quite a while before the parade was to start, but we weren’t about to give up our spot, so Brittany saved our seats while I went out in search of food. It took a while because the park was pretty crowded, but I finally returned with some dinner and we enjoyed our food while sitting on the Main Street curb.
By now, the sun was going down and the park was beginning to light up. It was beautiful...

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday September 24 Concluded...

IMG_1119.jpg

I love being in the Magic Kingdom at night. There is no place like it in the world.
I put away my camera and just sat with Brittany and we enjoyed the Main Street Electrical Parade, the Magic, Memories and You, and Wishes together. It was a very special time and we will never forget it.
The Magic Kingdom was scheduled to be open until 10:00pm, and even though it was only a little after 9:00, people were heading for the exits! Well, not us. This was our last night at Walt Disney World and we were closing this puppy down! Back into the park we went...

IMG_1121.jpg

We wanted to do our favorites one last time. We headed to Adventureland first to do Pirates of the Caribbean...

IMG_1122.jpg

Next up was Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, which were both walk ons...

IMG_1123.jpg

We were quickly running out of time, and there was no way I was leaving without riding Space Mountain one last time, so, sadly we skipped Haunted Mansion and headed straight for Tomorrowland...

IMG_1125.jpg

When we got off of Space Mountain (which had been our very first and last ride of the trip) it was 5 minutes after 10:00. The MK was “officially” closed, which basically means they won’t let you on any more attractions. We weren’t leaving just yet though. We headed back toward Main Street and I turned around to get this shot...

IMG_1126.jpg

We continued on to Main Street because I just wanted to sit back and live in the magic for a little while...

IMG_1127.jpg

I also wanted to use my very last snack credit...

IMG_1128.jpg

That was a good choice. The ice cream between two warm chocolate chips cookies was awesome!
Stomach ache and all, we got a couple of final shots before heading toward the MK exit...

IMG_1129.jpg

DSCF4071_2.jpg

Goodnight and goodbye, Magic Kingdom. We can’t wait to visit you again! We slowly walked to the bus stop and didn’t say a word to each other all the way back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were pitiful, like two pouting children. We pulled in to Jambo House and went directly up to our room and began packing for our departure the next morning.
Before long, we were drifting off to sleep, thinking about the week full of memories that we had made that would last a lifetime...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom