Body Wars reopening on official Disney site?

echoscot

I would necessarily think that. Because of the location and whatnot, they might not have plans to put anything new there. A bulldoze could be done just to get rid of it.

Unlikely...razing a building costs $$$. Unless they have a plan with it, they won't destroy anything just to destroy it.

Sherrybaby

:hurl::brick::hurl:

I will always be a critic, never a fan until he changes his tune.

And what "tune" is that...one that you are not currently singing? How close-minded. That is NOT what these messageboards are for.

Didn't our mighty website owner/moderator recently say to stop bashing people for their opinions in another thread? We are here to debate, not to step on people.

Sherry

PoTCGuy

Unlikely...razing a building costs $$$. Unless they have a plan with it, they won't destroy anything just to destroy it.

Not necessarily. For example, I doubt Disney spent a bunch of money to fill in the 20K Leagues lagoon and demolished the show building in the MK just to put in a playground. Sometimes keeping a building and grounds maintained can cost more than the demolition over the long run.

Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to see either a new sponsor and pavilion refurbishment or a brand new pavilion, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that if that building is demolished, something new is on the way.

CJR

Not necessarily. For example, I doubt Disney spent a bunch of money to fill in the 20K Leagues lagoon and demolished the show building in the MK just to put in a playground. Sometimes keeping a building and grounds maintained can cost more than the demolition over the long run.

The 20K demolition was kind of different though. The tank was leaking into the "basement" of the park. WoL doesn't appear to have any problems like that. As far as we know, it's a perfectly good building. We couldn't say that about 20K.

Obviously they are continuing to make profit on it, hence them continously reopening the pavilion for special events and such.

I got an idea, they can start to demolish it, but never really finish and creat the first ever construction themed pavilion. :drevil:

jt04

Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to see either a new sponsor and pavilion refurbishment or a brand new pavilion, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that if that building is demolished, something new is on the way.

I believe this building went up during the "construction cost reduction" phase at WDW (see Mickey's Birthdayland). It just may not have been built to last decades and I believe it has had problems. So the rumor of it being demolished may be because it is too expensive to maintain and repair. I don't believe they have plans for that spot in the near term but I would love to see them expand the "Space" pavilion with a new attraction or two.

PintoColvig

Well, Disney website has it posted for a week or two now, so it's obviously not an oversight of a completely incompetent internet department..

Body Wars and Cranium Command will be open starting February 1st! Yay!!

Who's gonna go? Should we have a meet? We can all ride together :)
For those sarcastically-challenged, I have slightly highlighted the suspected item of sarcasm. Hope that clears things up. And yes, I've included some sarcasm myself.

The 20K demolition was kind of different though. The tank was leaking into the "basement" of the park. WoL doesn't appear to have any problems like that. As far as we know, it's a perfectly good building. We couldn't say that about 20K.

Didnt they drain it while it was sitting there for all those years? It would make no sense to me to leave stagnant water just sitting there

echoscot

NO they didn't drain it, because it was being used as a backdrop for other character locations.

My original point on demolition was not that I thought they were building something new, but that they would not destroy something just for the sake of getting rid of it. It is too expensive to do that. 20k on the other hand was a different beast, it was too expensive to keep as an idle viewpoint.

PintoColvig

NO they didn't drain it, because it was being used as a backdrop for other character locations.

My original point on demolition was not that I thought they were building something new, but that they would not destroy something just for the sake of getting rid of it. It is too expensive to do that. 20k on the other hand was a different beast, it was too expensive to keep as an idle viewpoint.
20K, though I loved it, never seemed right in Fantasyland. It seemed more like an Adventureland attraction to me.

Eyorefan

On the other side of this...I can't believe Merf missed that part...SSE is listed as being closed from 2/9-2/14...hmmm wonder what they could be doing?:rolleyes:

Carry on oh great thread of mystery into the sidebar I probably launched...

Don't worry, that was a whole other thread. :brick:

sittle

For those sarcastically-challenged, I have slightly highlighted the suspected item of sarcasm. Hope that clears things up. And yes, I've included some sarcasm myself.

Thank goodness.... somebody seems to have a handle on sarcasm.... Jeesh...

I think the good ship Merf-hate should shove off for an extended tour of duty in far off lands.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe this building went up during the "construction cost reduction" phase at WDW (see Mickey's Birthdayland). It just may not have been built to last decades and I believe it has had problems...
Nah - Met Life footed the not exactly small bill for it. And the most expensive corporate boardroom in the US at the time (eh, Jason?? ;) )

The building is the parks 4th Geodisic dome (you know the other 3, right kids?) and apart from some leaks where the dome meets the support buildings I believe the structure is sound. Another good reason to re use a perfectly good facility.

Disney normally lets things stand until someone else will pay for demolition - the Skyway buildings and Horizons case in point. They didn`t have much choice with 20K.

brkgnews

The building is the parks 4th Geodisic dome (you know the other 3, right kids?)

:eek:

The " park's " or the " parks' " 4th geodome? (as in EPCOT, or all of WDW?)

Hrm... let's see...

I don't guess we get to count the 1964 Carousel of Progress, do we? That was geodesic-ish.
:drevil:

My goodness, Martin... you may have stumped me.:lookaroun

Captain Hank

:eek:

The " park's " or the " parks' " 4th geodome? (as in EPCOT, or all of WDW?)

Hrm... let's see...

I don't guess we get to count the 1964 Carousel of Progress, do we? That was geodesic-ish.
:drevil:

My goodness, Martin... you may have stumped me.:lookaroun

1. Wonders of Life
2. Tropics Greenhouse in Living with the Land
3. The top 3/4 of Spaceship Earth
4. The bottom 1/4 of Spaceship Earth

:)

MythBuster

20K was very expensive to maintain, even though it was just in the background, they spent a small fortune on chlorine and other chemicals and contnually running the filtration pumps and constant cleaning. If they didn't it would look like the Discovery River at AK. So actually they saved a lot of money by tearing it down.

They still use WoL for many backstage things including meetings and training classes. They still use WoL VIP for conventions and meeting spaces.

brkgnews

1. Wonders of Life
2. Tropics Greenhouse in Living with the Land
3. The top 3/4 of Spaceship Earth
4. The bottom 1/4 of Spaceship Earth

Indeed. I wasn't counting SSE because of it's spherical nature, but that's right -- it's just two domes.

Now... since I don't get backstage that often :lookaroun ... what about the itty bitty spaceship earth in front of the cast services building backstage at EPCOT? Is that just a dome or is a full geosphere?

EPCOT.nut

I was thinking we could end this thread on a nice, positive note.

Here's Wonders of Life for anyone that forgot to take pictures the last time you visited.

Attachments

• 12.17.06 010.jpg
    12.17.06 010.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 12.17.06 030.jpg
    12.17.06 030.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 12.17.06 028.jpg
    12.17.06 028.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 34
  • 12.17.06 009.jpg
    12.17.06 009.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 12.17.06 038.jpg
    12.17.06 038.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 29

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I was thinking we could end this thread on a nice, positive note.

Here's Wonders of Life for anyone that forgot to take pictures the last time you visited.

**Cries uncontrollably**

:lookaroun

Nah, it was nice, but I don't miss it... :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom