Body Wars 2016 Update

The Empress Lilly

Fix what?

Body Wars no longer exists. From my understanding anything that is left in there is left for them to cannibalize parts for Star Tours (though that may not even be the case post-refurb).

The problem with WoL is similar to other pavilions- the theme just isn't theme park ready. Today with such differing and passionate opinions about health, what we eat, etc., and how quickly those ideas change, it just makes no sense to try to keep up with it in a permanent theme park attraction. The idea of a permanent "World's Fair" has proven to be nonsensical - the reason a worlds fair worked was because it was temporary.

For even the tiniest example, all of a sudden it's announced last year that we have been way over sensitive about dietary cholesterol - and you can bet any nutrition discussion in a modern WoL would have emphasized its danger. They would be constantly rewriting things and it just is too controversial a topic on top of that. And let's face it - "how mommies and daddies make babies" was never a topic anyone wanted to sit and hear about at WDW to begin with.

We need to let some of these ideals go, because frankly the Epcot of the 1980's that grows ever more golden in our memories doesn't just owe all it's problems to mismanagement over the years, but also equally to basic failures in concept that have become readily apparent over time.
And yet....here's my top seven of things to do at current Epcot:

1 - SSE
2 - LwtL
3 - WS during the day or outside of festival times
4 - AA
5 - Dinosaur part of UoE
6 - Soarin'
7 - Club Cool 'cause I'm a hopeless cheapskate

I'll grant modern Epcot 6 and 7, otherwise the old stuff is infinitely more timeless than the new.

Imagination untouched would've been just as charming now as Splash. Horizons and WoM with a few changes and plussing would've been just as engrossing as LwtL and SSE. In fact, the latter two have always been inferior to them. UoE can be good even without a complete overhaul. Just a few good movies and some modern show - there is so much time and space in that ride to work with. Maelstrom would be a killer ride if the current rethink would've centered around Vikings and Norse Gods and North Sea storms just as much as around Princess Encounter #241, if not more.

Last edited:

mitchk

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I do miss wonders of life. Sept 2016

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Which is why the update cycle was so important.

Until they convieniantly forgot.
They remembered the cycle, but it morphed:

Leave it alone until it begins to rot...

Lose the sponsor and run it into the ground...

Shut off immersive effects until it becomes meaningless...

Seasonally close it...

Reopen it and let folks be nostalgic...

Run it until it is a meaningless mess...

Close it and gut it...

Turn it into special events space.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
It looks like an excess display from next door exhibit Ghirardelli, which has similar door/window/display frames.

IMG_8418.jpg

From-Bean-to-Bar-Timeline-Festival-Center-600x456.jpg
Seems probable, I need to get more WOL content on my youtube page, I have a video of the open Festival Center, and the one from this summer but both need some editing before release, in my newest one I stop for 3 minutes to pin trade, really boring video.

Communicore

Body Wars made me throw up so much. I remember stupidly partaking in a tasty lunch at Pasta Piazza then went on Body Wars and I threw up in one of the facilities, at least I had the presence of mind to go to the facilities!

Goofyernmost

Body Wars made me throw up so much. I remember stupidly partaking in a tasty lunch at Pasta Piazza then went on Body Wars and I threw up in one of the facilities, at least I had the presence of mind to go to the facilities!
So you're saying that throwing up is part of a successful visit to Epcot? ;)

Cmdr_Crimson

Since Disney likes repurposing ride systems so much, I'm sort of surprised they didn't repurpose the Body Wars vehicles into something based on a popular IP...
The majority of the ride Vehicles spare parts were used for the Star Speeders at Star Tours.. since the ride Vehicles were pretty much identical.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
I say it is time to panic only because there is a 1 in a million chance it may open as something the majority of us don't want in the future. On the other hand it is most likely senseless demolition. All of the stuff in that video he said has been gone for so long was there when I went in, i have a pit of a memory 'ya know?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since Disney likes repurposing ride systems so much, I'm sort of surprised they didn't repurpose the Body Wars vehicles into something based on a popular IP...

Edit: I'm aware they've supposedly dismantled the vehicles and used parts for Star Tours, but I'm curious as to why they went that route...
Eventually most of the simulators were beyond repair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom