Body Wars 2016 Update

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
I'll be there in November and I will definitely stop in WoL just so I can say, 'I remember when....". Also, if I recall correctly Ghiradelli has some free chocolate in there as well.
Wait, F&W runs into November this year? Oh and Ghirardelli does have free chocolate there. Some guy from the company kept going into the Body Wars exit ramp which is STUFFED with boxes of chocolate and carrying boxes into Frontiers. Something about the festival center seems eire to me but I don't know what.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Hey, does anybody know what the black square infront of the (current) Body Wars Queue is? It never used to be there, and it has changed its position too. Attached is a picture of what i'm talking about.
bwa.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am not surprised it was removed. It took up a lot of space, was only doing two performances a day and had very high operating costs. I personally enjoyed LMA, but I am ok with it's removal since they space could be put to much better use.

The question of course WILL IT BE or like so many other closed attractions at Disney a wasteland of "construction" walls for the next decade or so.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hang on... we're talking about the rectangle hanging off the ceiling. Do you mean the thing below this? Looks like an old sign standing on the floor.

AEfx

WHY DO THEY LEAVE THIS EMPTY TO ROT AS F&G and F&W STORAGE?????

UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Fix what?

Body Wars no longer exists. From my understanding anything that is left in there is left for them to cannibalize parts for Star Tours (though that may not even be the case post-refurb).

The problem with WoL is similar to other pavilions- the theme just isn't theme park ready. Today with such differing and passionate opinions about health, what we eat, etc., and how quickly those ideas change, it just makes no sense to try to keep up with it in a permanent theme park attraction. The idea of a permanent "World's Fair" has proven to be nonsensical - the reason a worlds fair worked was because it was temporary.

For even the tiniest example, all of a sudden it's announced last year that we have been way over sensitive about dietary cholesterol - and you can bet any nutrition discussion in a modern WoL would have emphasized its danger. They would be constantly rewriting things and it just is too controversial a topic on top of that. And let's face it - "how mommies and daddies make babies" was never a topic anyone wanted to sit and hear about at WDW to begin with.

We need to let some of these ideals go, because frankly the Epcot of the 1980's that grows ever more golden in our memories doesn't just owe all it's problems to mismanagement over the years, but also equally to basic failures in concept that have become readily apparent over time.

Sketch105

Fix what? i

-------------

The problem with WoL is similar to other pavilions- the theme just isn't theme park ready. Today with such differing and passionate opinions about health, what we eat, etc., and how quickly those ideas change, it just makes no sense to try to keep up with it in a permanent theme park attraction. The idea of a permanent "World's Fair" has proven to be nonsensical - the reason a worlds fair worked was because it was temporary.

--------------

We need to let some of these ideals go, because frankly the Epcot of the 1980's that grows ever more golden in our memories doesn't just owe all it's problems to mismanagement over the years, but also equally to basic failures in concept that have become readily apparent over time.

AGREED. WoL had its time. One day a food item is good for you, the next it isn't. I don't think the idea of a place for edutainment is dead, but today's theme parks are evolving. I feel that Epcot and the idea of a strict "one theme" philosophy are now gone. Our lives are filled with so much variety that the parks are reflecting that. We're seeing a disassemblage of the modern theme park now. Certain themes, like animals and fantasy will never wear thin, but anything meant to see the future or enrich our current lives is fraught with instant dated-ness.

We're seeing it with movie studio themed parks that are switching from "Behind the scenes" to "Immersive IP environments". Everyone has a blu-ray player and can see behind the scenes now. The idea of Epcot has been limping since the late 90's when technology zoomed far ahead of its vision. World Showcase was built in a time when airline prices were astronomical and you needed to visit a travel agent to book a vacation. Now you can sip coffee in your pajamas and plan a cheap trip to Paris for the weekend. Thus is born the food and wine festivals, the after 4 p.m. pass, the concerts, the entertainment changes, and yes, those dessert parties. Anything to keep the international idea of Epcot alive and vibrant.

Things are changing. I miss the old charm of Future World, the 80s style Imagination and World of Motion...but times are changing, and when you rely on corporate sponsorships, the ideas and innovations of a park are going to change too.

MinnieWaffles

The main problem is that the original attractions of Epcot just weren't timeless enough. Take Peter Pan. Yes it's a fairly basic dark ride that's not very exciting if you're over the age of 5, but it's timeless. Everybody knows Peter Pan, everybody wants to take their kid on it. There's no elements other then the ride system that date it to a certain time- ride it in 1980 or 2015 and it's just the same.

It's all very well making attractions about 1980s tech in the 1980s, but 5, even 10 years later, it's already outdated. Even if Disney hadn't removed all the old stuff and kept it running all this time, there would be countless complaints about how they need to update the attractions, why is World Of Motion still using 1980s computers and everyone in Body Wars wearing 1990s haircuts. Future World is the future, not the past.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's all very well making attractions about 1980s tech in the 1980s, but 5, even 10 years later, it's already outdated. Even if Disney hadn't removed all the old stuff and kept it running all this time, there would be countless complaints about how they need to update the attractions, why is World Of Motion still using 1980s computers and everyone in Body Wars wearing 1990s haircuts. Future World is the future, not the past.

Which is why the update cycle was so important.

Until they convieniantly forgot.

NovaCiteJourneys

Original Poster
Hang on... we're talking about the rectangle hanging off the ceiling. Do you mean the thing below this? Looks like an old sign standing on the floor.
I am so confused, are we talking about that blue sign there? That displayed safety hazard stuff when the extended queue was open. I saw it in one of Martin's Ultimate Tribute videos. I was talking about the black square outside the temporary wall in the current state of the Body Wars queue.

brb1006

The main problem is that the original attractions of Epcot just weren't timeless enough. Take Peter Pan. Yes it's a fairly basic dark ride that's not very exciting if you're over the age of 5, but it's timeless. Everybody knows Peter Pan, everybody wants to take their kid on it. There's no elements other then the ride system that date it to a certain time- ride it in 1980 or 2015 and it's just the same.

The original Journey Into Imagination attraction was timeless.

Goofyernmost

Which is why the update cycle was so important.

Until they convieniantly forgot.
I'm not sure that they forgot as much as they, originally, bit off more then they could chew. At the time of planning all the technology was just starting to gel and before very long it became quite obvious that they couldn't physically keep up with the progress even if they were willing to throw a never ending supply of money at it. By the time they built it, things would already be obsolete and "dated".

Noble experiment was EPCOT! However, it was not sustainable and now, finally it is changing to remain current longer. We all have had to adjust. The first time I visited EPCOT, cellphones didn't exist along with things like the internet and Bluetooth, etc. Just think of your own situation Martin. Compare your original Videos to your current ones. It surely doesn't mean that the old ones were bad, just technologically dated compared to now. The old videos are still great, but, compared to the new stuff you currently do... they pale by comparison, visually, not substance wise. However, you don't have to spend millions to upgrade your equipment. Not a small investment, I'm sure, but, everyone just has to think on a much bigger scale.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom