News Bob Iger talks about attendance declines, ticket pricing, the feud with Ron DeSantis, and his huge optimism for Disney Parks and Resorts

SpectreJordan

parental controls or not it confuses the brand and that’s a bad thing for a business.

It also devalues the “Disney classics” by putting them next to ice age, etc. but that doesn’t mean the Disney company shouldn’t have a larger streaming service. It’s just poorly branded.

Why not put mighty ducks on espn+!? That makes as much sense for that brand to me.
They already devalue the classics by having them next to the likes of The Black Cauldron, Home on the Range & Ralph Breaks The Internet. The original Ice Age is a pretty good movie, I'd say it deserves to be on the app lol

Disstevefan1

I was in Disney last week. The last thing I would do is blame AP holders for anything. All the issues are squarely on Disneys shoulders. So many aspects of the parks are an embarrassment. They're critically underbuilt, the food options and quality are mediocre at best, maintenance was sub par. The reservation system, Park hopping, genie plus/lightning lane, are all not great. The list can go on and on. Disney is charging for the surf and turf and giving us a Mc double and filet o fish.
Trophy.png

erasure fan1

You know the thing that is most sad is that Disney could charge high premiums and people wouldn't complain as much if they took care of maintenance and upkeep of the parks and resorts. If you pay a premium price you would expect premium experience regardless of the wait times
Not many people care about pricing as long as it is justified in the quality of product. When quality is lowered and experience's taken away, all while jacking prices into the stratosphere, you're going to get push back.
Quality of food, experience, and keeping the rides pristine, etc. would do a lot to keep the people coming and complaints down because people would say that the price justifies the upkeep and quality
And the sad fact is what they are doing with the new rides isn't what I would consider great. Rise was fantastic when it ran 100%. The falcon? Outside of pilot and seeing the falcon, very meh. Ratatouille was not very good. Frozen is really a joke. Guardians was a fantastic coaster but didn't really fit where it is. Mickey and Minnie was ok but not better than what was before. Slinky dog was fun but pretty off the shelf. Tron is way too short and after the launch just falls apart. The vast majority of what Disney has done since they've blown prices through the roof, has been pretty mediocre. It just doesn't justify the increases.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That’s not a fact at all. A tourist from NY who stays off-site and buys a 4 day base ticket and only eats counter service lunch each day in the parks = $396 for ticket + $100 in f&b = $500

So your visitor on their big disney vacation is only going to eat one meal a day?? And not bring their family and 2000s era avg 3 kids? Never buying any soveniors to take back? Stays offsite but no parking?

Is your hypothetical vacationer a hobo?

A Florida resident from Miami who visits 5 times and stays 1 night at Pop Century on each visit, and eats 1 sit down and 2 counter service would be = $399 for cheapest pass + $750 hotel, + $450 in f&b = $1600

Why does your local who you define to be there every other month somehow more hungry and has more budget for food… than a person making a big deal trip that they can’t just do on a whim? And why does a local insist on on property while the big ‘only do this every 3yrs’ person is goinv to cheap out and stay outside?

Your made up comparison is just totally bs

News for you…. On average the more special and unique something is to someone… the more likely they are willing to splurge. Their avg daily spend per person will be higher.

Two… your disposable income doesn’t increase with your ability to visit. You just increase how much of it you likely spend at disney.

Three… you argument is fundamentally broken because the comparison is not one local vs one tourist. It’s one repeat customer vs a unique customer. It’s about comparing someone on a tepeat visit that year vs someone not. If its bob the local who goes three times, the comparison is bob’s total vs sam, joe, and dan combined.

fourth… the local is taking advantage of discounts used to lure them in attempts to get that discretionary spending out of them. If ghey were so willing to spend on their own they would not have to give them such steep discounts.

Lilofan

For all of you trashing locals, remember the entire state of Florida can be locals. All 21 million of us.
Be nice to the locals. The biggest industries in FL are agriculture and tourism. These folks serve the visitor to have a magical vacation.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don’t understand this idea that locals should be punished just because they live close.

Who do you think is gonna help the parks survive if a recession comes?

I’m not a local but if you live in Florida good for you.

Take advantage of the perks available to you.

Who do you think were there after 9/11, recessions, when the parks reopened in July, etc.? Us. And by locals, I mean people who live within 2-3 hours driving distance. That covers a significant portion of the state. Like ALL of South Florida, from East Coast up to Jacksonville. Not just people in Orange and Osceola counties.

TrainsOfDisney

I did forget parking although it’s possible that our NY visitor just used Uber - doesn’t make them a hobo lol.

I was responding to someone saying it was “a fact” that a NY tourist spends more than a Florida pass holder. I don’t think either scenario I described doesn’t exist in the real world. I even went with a 4-day base ticket knowing that some tourists from New York only buy 1, 2, or 3 day tickets.

I’m doing a little back of the envelope math here, not trying to prove my innocence as a Magic Key holder :p

Splash4eva

So your visitor on their big disney vacation is only going to eat one meal a day?? And not bring their family and 2000s era avg 3 kids? Never buying any soveniors to take back? Stays offsite but no parking?

Is your hypothetical vacationer a hobo?

Why does your local who you define to be there every other month somehow more hungry and has more budget for food… than a person making a big deal trip that they can’t just do on a whim? And why does a local insist on on property while the big ‘only do this every 3yrs’ person is goinv to cheap out and stay outside?

News for you…. On average the more special and unique something is to someone… the more likely they are willing to splurge. Their avg daily spend per person will be higher.

Two… your disposable income doesn’t increase with your ability to visit. You just increase how much of it you likely spend at disney.

Three… you argument is fundamentally broken because the comparison is not one local vs one tourist. It’s one repeat customer vs a unique customer. It’s about comparing someone on a tepeat visit that year vs someone not. If its bob the local who goes three times, the comparison is bob’s total vs sam, joe, and dan combined.

fourth… the local is taking advantage of discounts used to lure them in attempts to get that discretionary spending out of them. If ghey were so willing to spend on their own they would not have to give them such steep discounts.
Thanks for writing all of this. I gave up with this tourist vs local debate on who would spend more on average…

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A FL passholder who doesn't live close enough to "commute" to WDW will spend nearly the same as a non-resident. Hotel, meals, merchandise. Probably more on merchandise as they won't worry about having to ship back what they bought or try to stuff it in their suitcase. And they will visit more frequently as they don't have the added extra cost (and hassle) of transportation.

This argument that locals are bad for the parks needs to cease. Our money is just as green.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I did forget parking although it’s possible that our NY visitor just used Uber - doesn’t make them a hobo lol.

I was responding to someone saying it was “a fact” that a NY tourist spends more than a Florida pass holder. I don’t think either scenario I described doesn’t exist in the real world. I even went with a 4-day base ticket knowing that some tourists from New York only buy 1, 2, or 3 day tickets.

I’m doing a little back of the envelope math here, not trying to prove my innocence as a Magic Key holder :p

The fundamentals are always there.

- On average someone doing something unique and uncommon (like taking a special vacation) will have looser pockets then someone in a routine.

- Disposable income does not increase with increased access

- a seasoned visitor is one who has optimized their spending patterns - avoiding extra spending

Season pass tickets everywhere are sold to increase visit counts to increase discretionary spending by the customer and to upsell admission revenue (not really an issue at disney).

But it is not a linear thing - the more someone visits eventually the guest’s patterns become a less profitable guest vs a non-pass holder. At that point the guest is just discounted filler customer you use to reduce your lost revenue.

That too is a true need, but a need you want to manage in terms of ensuring those discounted fillers do not displace non-discounted guests… because on avg you are getting more money per day from those non-discount guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A FL passholder who doesn't live close enough to "commute" to WDW will spend nearly the same as a non-resident. Hotel, meals, merchandise. Probably more on merchandise as they won't worry about having to ship back what they bought or try to stuff it in their suitcase. And they will visit more frequently as they don't have the added extra cost (and hassle) of transportation.

This argument that locals are bad for the parks needs to cease. Our money is just as green.
They aren’t bad for the parks - but they are a less attractive guest the more frequently they come.

The reality is there is always a curve in terms of how profitable a guest is to the business and a second purpose of discounts that is a role of filler… which isn’t in competition with a non-repeat guest as long as the timing is right.

It’s never that the guest is ‘bad for the parks’ - but there is a reality that there is a limit to it and times where they are not the most ideal customer (simply because something better is available).

TrainsOfDisney

But it is not a linear thing - the more someone visits eventually the guest’s patterns become a less profitable guest vs a non-pass holder. At that point the guest is just discounted filler customer you use to reduce your lost revenue.
I don’t know if that’s accurate. When I worked for a tourist railroad, many of our season passholders were the ones who would make the larger gift shop purchases.

The tourists would buy the cheap souvenirs like engineer hat, pins, train whistle. But the passholders would buy the model trains, the expensive books, dvd’s (yes we sold dvd’s back then! I’m old! :p) etc.

I don’t have the data Disney does, but I don’t think average family from New York is buying up all the limited edition popcorn buckets lol

Lilofan

I don’t know if that’s accurate. When I worked for a tourist railroad, many of our season passholders were the ones who would make the larger gift shop purchases.

The tourists would buy the cheap souvenirs like engineer hat, pins, train whistle. But the passholders would buy the model trains, the expensive books, dvd’s (yes we sold dvd’s back then! I’m old! :p) etc.

I don’t have the data Disney does, but I don’t think average family from New York is buying up all the limited edition popcorn buckets lol
Probably some locals buying popcorn buckets and reselling online for a nice profit to a NY resident

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom